Menu

Individual toiletries in your house?

Do your children have individual shower puffs (clothes, etc)?  

1. 1. Do your children have individual shower puffs (clothes, etc)?

• yes
    • no

The boys share a manly shower gel (which includes a shampoo), but we have separate cloths and puffs. We all have separate toothpaste as well. I would NOT share a shower puff with anyone, they're 1.00 a Walmart. We use those suction grip hooks to hang them.

Edited by elegantlion

We do not share towels, wash clothes, puffs, toothbrushes or toothpaste. Ask your doctor why you should NOT share toothpaste. Or think about it... it's easy to figure out that it is a way to spread sick germs!

My husband finds my request for individual shower puffs excessive. ETA: typo: that is (cloths, towels, etc)

Each kid has their own tube of toothpaste. Hubby and Ishare a tube of toothpaste.

Towels and clothes we share. It has been washed so we are ok in that. :D We DO NOT re-use towels. If we did then YES we would color code and not share. :D

We each have a hook in the bathroom, and we pile onto our hook any bathtowel, handtowel, etc., that is ours. I convince my kids to buy into this system when they are wiping their face and don't want someone else's germs on their face. I love that it also keeps the grubby ones to themselves (some folks just leave more toothpaste streaks etc) and away from me!

I try to keep guest towels clean & dry for guests, although everyone uses them at times.

P.S. We have a small piece of masking tape over each hook that says whose hook it is -- some are more prone to forgetting!

I'm a little confused about the question. If you mean the towels and washcloths are hanging in the bathroom, and anyone uses them, then no, we don't do that, and I voted wrong. However, after they're washed, anyone pulls any clean towel or washcloth out of the closet to use. I would have no problem sharing towels and washcloths with a stranger as long as they've been laundered in between. I don't take my own towels, etc to hotels because I trust that the hotel washes everything thoroughly between guests.

My children do not have their own washcloths. When one is needed, it is taken from the top of the stack of clean washcloths, used, then placed on the side of the tub to dry. Once dry, it is thrown in the laundry basket. We go through a lot of washcloths in a day.

They do have their own bath towels. Those are used multiple times between washing.

I can't imagine not having individual puffs....I mean they wash EVERYWHERE...... eek! We buy them at the dollar store once a month...

Shampoo is shared, soap is shared, and toothpaste is individual... just in case the toothbrush touches the tube....learned this from the dentist after we kept having strep make it's rounds.

Sandra

We use a new wash cloth each time, each of us. Think about it a minute and you will get it! (hint the last place you wash goes to the first next shower...)

So, I buy the large economy pack of wash cloths at Wal Mart. So, yes, I wash a lot of wash cloths.

Towels are not shared (yuck) and are changed out when they get "stale."

I don't know what puffs are....

Again, I need *other* as an option. Each child has his/her own towel, but we also have community towels if someone needs a clean one and his/hers is not available. Washcloths and hand-towels are community, but washcloths are laundered after each use, and hand-towels are changed often. We don't do shower-puffs...unless a child has purchased his/her own or received it as a gift, and then it belongs to that individual child only and no-one else would use it without permission.

HTH

I voted no. We have a stack of wash cloths and towels in the bathroom closet. Whenever one is needed it is used and thrown in the laundry to be washed. We don't use puffs anymore because I haven't found a good quality brand that can be washed in the washing machine without falling to pieces.

Each of us has our own toothbrush.

We each have our own shampoos but that is more due to personal needs - DD uses shampoo formulated for blonds, I use shampoo for colored hair, DS is trying the all in one body wash/shampoo for boys.

DD and I have our special body washes.

ARgh. I typed a long reply and lost it.

Short answer:

No sharing. Gross. Each person has towels that match the bathroom they use, maybe 2-3 sets to go thru, so they get washed and back to them. Daughter has lots of bleach streaked towels from face wash. She likes to use 3 towels per shower too, so she has to hang and dry them.

We all have our own washcloths, toothbrushes, toothpaste, towels, due to sanitary reasons.....when the kids were little they would share more. Shower gels/shampoos/soaps are all shared, but everybody has special preferences, so there is a huge variety in each bathroom that is fair game.

LBS

PS I buy LOTS of the small scrubby colored washcloths from Target and keep those washed and in piles in each bathroom, and also, buy the large packs of white ones from Costco. I like to clean house and dishes with a real cloth, not a rag. They start out at washcloths, then get demoted to house cleaning or dishwashing.

Edited by LBS

My kids don't share towels or wash rags. They are color coded--one blue, one green, one pink. It saves on the fighting of "I wanted the _____ towel." They know their color and that's it. They do share toothpaste, but not toothbrushes or hair brushes. They boys have color coded combs, and dd has her own brush. They all share the shampoo and soap.

The kids dry off with a clean towel, use the towel to ensure the floor is clean and dry, then drop it into the dirty clothes hamper. Since things get moldy FAST in our climate, I'd rather not have wet towels, washcloths, etc hanging around the bathroom. So I clicked 'yes' we share, but no one uses a dirty towel. :tongue_smilie:

I'm a little confused about the question. If you mean the towels and washcloths are hanging in the bathroom, and anyone uses them, then no, we don't do that, and I voted wrong. However, after they're washed, anyone pulls any clean towel or washcloth out of the closet to use. I would have no problem sharing towels and washcloths with a stranger as long as they've been laundered in between. I don't take my own towels, etc to hotels because I trust that the hotel washes everything thoroughly between guests.

:iagree:

I haven't voted because I'm in between the too. We share tubs of toothpaste (but the toothpaste doesn't touch the brush) but not toothbrushes. We share towels --- when they are clean. Not share used towels. We don't use shower puffs at all. DH has his own bathroom so he has his own items.

I voted no. We have a stack of wash cloths and towels in the bathroom closet. Whenever one is needed it is used and thrown in the laundry to be washed. We don't use puffs anymore because I haven't found a good quality brand that can be washed in the washing machine without falling to pieces.

We each have our own shampoos but that is more due to personal needs - DD uses shampoo formulated for blonds, I use shampoo for colored hair, DS is trying the all in one body wash/shampoo for boys.

This is how it goes at my house, too. I can't see how sharing towels that are laundered after each use is gross. IMO, puffs are gross.

I agree about the puffs. Ours fall apart before even hitting the wash. :tongue_smilie:

Depends on the items.

Towels, washcoths are used once and then washed, so they are shared but washed between each use.

Puffs, razors, hair brushes, tooth brushes are individual use.

Shampoo, soaps, tooth paste, shaving gel, etc are shared. But we have at least 3 different types of these items so only shared by 2-3 people for any one item.

We all have a shower caddy with our own stuff includes: toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, shave cream and razor where necessary, puff, shampoo, conditioner, hairbrush, acne stuff etc. We have our own towels and washcloths. Everything is used college dorm style. Iow, we bring it into the bathroom and bring it back to our own room when done.

Faithe

We all have our own toothbrush. That is it.

All that matters here is it is clean.

Same here.

Well dh and I don't share deodorant or razors either!

I can't imagine why people can't share bottles of shampoo unless someone has an allergy.

Rosie

As I now only have two at home and they don't even use the same bathroom, it would be a little difficult for them to share. Also, middle ds is a teen and uses manly kinds of things and little man is still using kiddie toothpaste!

Now, when my older two were little, I would bathe them together with the same wash cloth, dry them as they came out with the same towel, brush their hair with the same hairbrush, and put their toothpaste on their toothbrushes out of the same tube.

I think it depends on the age. A group of kids under 5yo would definitely not get their own things and would probably be bathing together. A group between 5yo and 10yo would perhaps have some of their own things. After 10yo I am sure they would move quickly toward having their own everything. Heck, my dh and I have our own tubes of toothpaste, so why would I expect the kids to want to share!

Mandy

Are you kidding me? I so don't have the time for that.

Depends on the items.

Towels, washcoths are used once and then washed, so they are shared but washed between each use.

Puffs, razors, hair brushes, tooth brushes are individual use.

Shampoo, soaps, tooth paste, shaving gel, etc are shared. But we have at least 3 different types of these items so only shared by 2-3 people for any one item.

We just grab a clean towel and washcloth from the linen closet. Dh and I have puffs in our shower but the kids just use a clean cloth.

:iagree:

You go into the bathroom, there are clean towels. You grab one, use it, and put it in the laundry. Same with washcloths. Shampoo is used by all, I have a few kinds in there-grab whichever one you want. Toothpaste is shared. Why? Because there is already fecal stuff on your toothbrushes just by being IN the bathroom. So who cares that you share toothpaste?