Menu

Totally Random, is it odd in America to not own an eletric can opener?

what kind of can opener do you own?  

1. 1. what kind of can opener do you own?

• manual
    • electric (if you have a manual for back-up still pick this)
    • none
    • other

I have a manual one, but years ago(25) I had an electric can opener. I also had a very smart cat. That cat would put his chin on the top of the opener every.single.morning. at 5 am. It would wake me up. I got rid of that opener and vowed never to have one again unless I no longer had a cat. I still have cats, no electric can opener.

Jenny

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-CO100B-Traditional-Multi-Purpose/dp/B001QVQ6IM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298598500&sr=8-1

this is mine. I got tired of buying a new can opener every couple months, but maybe I was just buying cheapies...

Oh thank you. I'll look into this one.

My dh does have carpal tunnel and my mom has arthritis in her hands, so maybe that why I'm used to people having them.

This makes me so much happier. I had a brief thought that I would show her this poll when she comes over next... but then I realized the poll won't matter to her. I asked a bunch of nutty homeschoolers, so of course they would all be strange like me:lol: (Have I mentioned that I am the ONLY one of my friends or family that homeschool)

The poll results so far surprised me. I thought *everyone* had electric can openers. I guess I'm more high tech than I get credit for! :001_smile: When I read "a manual for back up", I thought the OP was referring to the owner's manual, especially since DH couldn't figure out how to use our electric can opener last night. I do have a couple of manual can openers in the camping box, though.

Edited by RoughCollie

I *have* an electric can opener. It's attached to the underside of my kitchen cabinets. I hate it. I never use it, and since I store stuff in the corner of the counter near where it's attached, I'm constantly catching my hand on it. I'd like to get rid of it, but DH likes it.

I use a manual can opener by choice.

We had an electric years ago, but always thought it'd be nice to have a manual around 'just in case'.

That never happened until the electric broke. I refused to buy another for the few can I open and considering the trouble I had with the thing.

I'm manual and I'm not going back!! (unless health required such) :D

I have manual. I do NOT miss the electric can opener. I got one for my wedding and hated hated hated it!! 2 years later I got a manual and loved it!! I can open any can very easily (big or small without fighting the can to fit into the electric one.) I will not go back to electric can opener.

The manual frees up my counter. I can store in my drawer. No fighting the can with the opener. ;)

Love my manual!!!

We had one growing up, but I have never wanted or needed one. I guess unless, like a pp said, you have arthritis and need the convenience of an electric----I personally think they are a ridiculous waste of counter space :tongue_smilie: Of course no offense to people that own them and like them :001_smile: And honestly, I don't think I know of ANYONE of my generation that owns one. I see them as one of those passing fancies of my parents generation.

. For that reason, I unplug most kitchen appliances -- coffee maker, toaster, etc...-- unless I'm currently using them.)

Thank you LOL! It drives my husband crazy that I unplug our toaster when I'm finished with it. He never does. I always come along behind him and unplug it when he's finished with it. He just thinks I'm paranoid!