Menu

Child notices toy missing...WWYD?

What do you do when a child notices a missing toy that you haven't given away yet?  

1. 1. What do you do when a child notices a missing toy that you haven't given away yet?

• Show sympathy and try to convince him another similar toy is just as good
    • Get the missed toy out of the Goodwill box
    • Trade toys out of the Goodwill box. The one comes out but the other goes in.
    • Other

I recently created a Goodwill box. It's in the garage, filled, and ready to drop off. One of the items in there is a My Little People pirate ship. We also have Noah's Ark. I decided two boats were enough and choose to keep the ark, animals, and people from both boats.

DS3 wanted to play with the boats with his little sister and was crying because he couldn't find the pirate ship. What do you do?

Show sympathy and try to convince him to play with the Noah's Ark or

Feel bad and go get the other boat out of the box.

I'd go get it. My rule is, if they ask for the toy before it goes away permanently, then I bring it back in.

:iagree: This is generally what I do. There are exceptions. If I feel my reason for getting rid of something is a good one, I will explain why the item has to go. My kids are older though. For a 3yo who wants a boat to play with his sister, I'd bring it back in.

I'd go get it. My rule is, if they ask for the toy before it goes away permanently, then I bring it back in. If they ask after it has gone, then I answer (quite truthfully, LOL), "Wow . . . I have NO idea where that could possibly be."

This.

I had this situation the other day. I didn't think my dd4 cared about a certain doll anymore, so I put it along with several other toys into the donation box. A few days later, she started crying about not being able to find it. She was looking for it everywhere. I retrieved the doll and she was so happy to have it again. :)

:iagree:

My rule is that if they know exactly what is missing and ask for it, they get it. They rarely know exactly what they are missing. I hold onto donations for a few weeks and then off they go! I do the same for art projects.

And in your case, two kids, they really would enjoy two boats.

My rule is that if they know exactly what is missing and ask for it, they get it. They rarely know exactly what they are missing. I hold onto donations for a few weeks and then off they go!
I also pack things away for a few weeks before getting rid of it. Usually, they don't notice or care but if they do, I'll still have it to return.

I do not discard my children's possessions without their consent. I respect their property.

We always went through toys periodically and I asked them what they wanted to keep and what they wanted to give away. Some toys which they clearly were not using a lot, they still felt emotionally attached to, so they kept them for a few more years. Only when THEY decide to let go will I give away their belongings.

I would bring it back in. I have all of our Little People toys in the basement now and every once in a while my son will ask me to bring it upstairs. The stuff all gets used for a day or two and then ignored, so it goes back to the basement, but I don't have the heart to get rid of it yet since when it's requested it really does get used. I have no problem keeping toys that are actually played with - what I can't stand is the crying and screaming when I want to get rid of something that no one has touched in forever.

I would give back the toy.

When I've decided to go through toys, I have my girls help me. Now, they know up front that they are going to have to part with something. We donate them. I pick out several, and they get to choose. Then I take them with to church to leave the box. They also see mom and dad picking things to donate. Usually, it's gone pretty well involving them. There have been a couple of times one of them has wanted the toy back, but by then it's already gone.

My rule is that if they know exactly what is missing and ask for it, they get it. They rarely know exactly what they are missing. I hold onto donations for a few weeks and then off they go! I do the same for art projects.

:iagree: This is also my policy exactly. I do most often work with them on thinning out toys, even though it is a serious pain-in-the-posterior to do it that way. I'd rather it be clear to them that we don't need every little thing and we want to share our blessings with someone who has less, so let's figure out together what out of all this massive accumulato can we move along to someone else. :)

I'd go get it. My rule is, if they ask for the toy before it goes away permanently, then I bring it back in. If they ask after it has gone, then I answer (quite truthfully, LOL), "Wow . . . I have NO idea where that could possibly be."

I say, "I haven't seen it".

I would get a specific toy out if it was asked for.

At his age, I'd keep it. If he were older, say 5 or 6, then I'd thin out preschool-ish toys like Little People toys. Then if he notices it's missing and it's not gone yet, I'd shrug and say I don't know where it is. If he forgets about it after a couple of days, then I'd go ahead & get rid of it. If he still remembers and wants it, I'd consider bringing it back, perhaps in trade for something else that will go into the Goodwill box in its place.

I take a different approach.

I keep my house so messy that they kids don't ever expect to find anything. They play with the toys they can see. Out of sight, out of mind. :lol:

A week ago we had a birthday party. Since there were going to be 20 kids in the house, I put at least half of their toys in my closet. All week they've happily played with what's out, never once asking where the "missing" toys are.

So you see, there is at least ONE benefit to never cleaning :D

This is exactly why I have never cleared out toys without the children right there to say yes or no. You don't know what's important to a child or why. I've seen decluttering taken to ridiculous degrees. It's overrated in this regard, and I think it can be an illness for some (Not you, J! :) ) as much as hoarding can.

Leave the children's items be. Whenever I get an urge to purge, I start with my own stuff. There's always something to give away.

Edited by LibraryLover

I would give it back to him.

In our case, I never got rid of anything until I was absolutely sure ds would never play with it again -- and he always got to help choose what would be given away; I never "sneaked" toys into the boxes. Something like a Little People set would never been donated when he was 3. I only donated infant toys when ds was 3.

Cat

Same here, almost down to the wording :D

Yes, I gave it back to him. I can tell you that the ship hasn't been played with in months, if not longer. I was cleaning out the little one's basket of baby toys because it was overflowing. There's always stuff in there that doesn't belong there. A bunch of the Little People animals were in the basket. When he saw the animals, then he wanted to play with it. It got played with for a grand total of about 3 minutes.

That's fine. He's 3. Whenever i get crazy about toys, I go clean a kitchen cabinet, or tackle an underwear drawer. There's always something.

Seriously, he won't be 3 for much longer. :)

Yes, I gave it back to him. I can tell you that the ship hasn't been played with in months, if not longer. I was cleaning out the little one's basket of baby toys because it was overflowing. There's always stuff in there that doesn't belong there. A bunch of the Little People animals were in the basket. When he saw the animals, then he wanted to play with it. It got played with for a grand total of about 3 minutes.
Edited by LibraryLover