Menu

Do you let your children participate in dangerous sports?

My son loves to mountain bike and he received a ticket to a downhill mountain bike park for Christmas and.... I'm afraid to let him go!

I didn't mind so much until I started watching youtube videos of mountain bike accidents. :eek:

And the cost! The protective gear, the bikes, and the parts! :svengo:

What dangerous sports are your kids allowed to do and how do you deal with the worry?!?

a downhill mtn bike park, oh my goodness my son would flip out at the opportunity!!!

Right now we mtn bike as a family. And my bike can't do the hard stuff and my dd has more fear so it hasn't been all that bad. Dd has falled head first into gulley's but she's a trooper and always gets up to ride out. My dh has more gear than the rest of us but yes, if we had something like that I would get the gear and let my son ride.

helmet, shin guards, arm guard thingies...a cup :-) LOL

I hope he enjoys it!

My husband consideres horse riding lessons to be somewhat dangerous since Christopher Reeve's accident.

I don't really know how he deals with it. The only worry I have is when they're off trail riding. I make sure they have cell phones in case something does happen but I'm not really worried that something will.

But now that I've said it all out loud like that . . . :001_huh:

a downhill mtn bike park, oh my goodness my son would flip out at the opportunity!!!

Right now we mtn bike as a family. And my bike can't do the hard stuff and my dd has more fear so it hasn't been all that bad. Dd has falled head first into gulley's but she's a trooper and always gets up to ride out. My dh has more gear than the rest of us but yes, if we had something like that I would get the gear and let my son ride.

helmet, shin guards, arm guard thingies...a cup :-) LOL

I hope he enjoys it!

Thanks, I think :lol:

Do your kids have regular cycling helmets or full face?

My husband consideres horse riding lessons to be somewhat dangerous since Christopher Reeve's accident.

I don't really know how he deals with it. The only worry I have is when they're off trail riding. I make sure they have cell phones in case something does happen but I'm not really worried that something will.

But now that I've said it all out loud like that . . . :001_huh:

Oh, that's right... horseback riding doesn't seem like a dangerous sport but Christopher Reeve had a horrific accident! Having said that, I would love for my kids to ride horses!

One if my dds surfs. She hs surfed a little each summer for the past couple yhrs. I go and watch her each time, "ĂƒÂ¯n case she needs to be saved" :glare:

I probably couldn't save her if I wanted too. I worry about her paddling out too far and being too tired to get back in, being pulled under by a current, being bitten by a shark or being slapped unconcious by her board when a wave tumbles her over.

She has also wanted to learn to kite surf and scuba dive, but I've said no until later as surfing is as dangerous as I'll let her get at 15.

My daughter is a figure skater. I knew someone who sat on a porch swing and the chain broke. It fell straight down with her on it - not a far fall. She was paralyzed from it. Anything can be dangerous. I figure we need to live life to the fullest because we never know what is going to happen. Do what you enjoy - that's my take.

We do. Sigh. We try to get them lessons and protective equipment. We have deliberately raised them to be non-competative, so they are willing (hopefully) to tell their friends, "You're crazy! I'm not doing that!" And we don't support any competitions in dangerous things, since that tends to be when you push past what feels safe. I pray a lot. My sons have witnessed some horrendous accidents, so they are pretty realistic about the risks. Well, as realistic as fairly adventurous teen/young twenty boys can be, anyway. Frankly, driving, especially combined with drinking, is dangerous enough to make other sports pale by comparison. The mountain biking would scare me, but that is because one of my son's friends broke his skull recently (not mountain biking). I'm not sure I could stop mine from doing it if someone offered to pay for it. If he is young enough, you might be able to say you couldn't afford to rent (I'm assuming you can rent at the place) the equipment. If you decide to do it, I would ask if he can start the day with a lesson. It will be expensive, but that means somebody really good at mountain biking (in other words - cool) will be telling your son the safety rules, making it more likely that he will listen, remember, and actually try to follow them.

-Nan

My son used to race motorcross but now that he is older he doesn't race as the big boys play hard. He does race friends around here on local tracks. Nothing like scaring a mom to see your special needs kid racing almost 100mph down the road.

My girls ride horses and have even done a few very low level speed shows.

Then again, I am the only one that has been hurt horseback riding.

Everyone has the correct protective gear.

I have a competitive gymnast who has broken her arm, twice (separate incidents), once very seriously, in the gym. What I learned while walking around with a 10 yo in a cast is how many ways there are to break bones. Kids break bones running into doors in their houses, tripping over their dogs, wrestling with their brothers and falling off of curbs, tricycles and home trampolines. At least my daughter got a good story out of her spectacular, very public fall.

And all the hours she is in the gym, she is not in a car, which is probably one of the most dangerous places to be (around here anyway--we live in an Atlanta suburb). Everything in life is a trade-off, and we've made peace with the inevitable bumps and bruises that come along with a gymnast's career.

Terri

My 10 year old does competitve cheerleading. She is one of the ones who gets tossed in the air and she is on the highest level possible so the tumbling is pretty intense too. However, she loves it and she could get hurt walking/driving down the road too. We too live in an Atlanta suburb and it probably is more dangerous to be riding in a car as plansrme said then cheering.

Well, when you really get into a sport, I think you'll see that most of them can be pretty dangerous and with most sports going to year-round status now, they can also all be pretty expensive. Many teams travel quite a bit and all those travel costs really add up, too....

My older son is a swimmer, for instance, and my younger is a soccer guy.... There are dangers that I worry about associated with both those sports....

What sports aren't dangerous? My son has done gymnastics, swimming, horseback riding, ATVs, go-carts, water slides, baseball, football, rollerskating... He is also now on a bowling league. Last month a child received a concussion after falling into a ball rack when he tripped on his shoelace. Another child broke a finger after throwing his bowling ball in the air and catching it incorrectly. I've seen kids slip on the floors and slide onto the lanes head first...

For me if my son is interested I usually let him do it. I just make him take lessons and buy all the recommended safety equipment first. Knowing how to do the activity correctly helps prevent some injuries and helps build confidence. If he starts taking too many risks, I end the activity or put strict restrictions on it. For example, my parents have 4 wheelers. Just riding thru the woods and on flat surfaces doesn't bother me. But when he began taking small jumps I ended it. Knowing he wanted to take more risks and be bolder I convinced my dad to buy him a go-cart bcause it has more safety features - like seatbelts, a roll bar, and so on. Yes, he can still get hurt on it but it *feels* safer to me.

When my ds was much younger I tried to control it all and prevent him from doing anything even remotely dangerous but it backfired for me. Instead of being challenged in a controlled positive way (like organized sports) he was creating his own challenges and situations that were way more dangerous.

My son loves to mountain bike and he received a ticket to a downhill mountain bike park for Christmas and.... I'm afraid to let him go!

I didn't mind so much until I started watching youtube videos of mountain bike accidents. :eek:

And the cost! The protective gear, the bikes, and the parts! :svengo:

What dangerous sports are your kids allowed to do and how do you deal with the worry?!?

We do. Both of my older boys race dirt bikes. Not only is it one of the most expensive sports, it is the most dangerous. Between races, gear, bike maintenance and travel it can cost upwards of $5000 a year.

I was against it from the beginning, my husband was the advocate for the boys. But then I realized that they love to do it. They didn't want to play soccer, or basketball and I was not prepared to force them to do something that they disliked. They want to race dirt bikes, especially our eldest.

Everything has the potential to be dangerous. Heck, I fell down the stairs and hurt my shoulder carrying a box of Christmas ornaments!:D We have provided the boys with everything that they need to be safe, but we also realized that there is only so much that we can control, and they probably will get hurt.

Depends on the definition of dangerous sports. Any sport can be potentially dangerous IMO. Life can be potentially dangerous:lol:

Anyway, our kids do Kung Fu. Dd competes and injuries can and do happen. Thankfully nothing serious so far.

I grew up doing a variety of "dangerous" activities... motorcycling, three-wheeling, snowmobiling, downhill skiing. So I guess I do have a higher tolerance for some activities.

The only sports/activities I ban are more dependent on age of child and how an accident can be more of a "finality". Dd wants to so desperately go skydiving :scared::svengo:. Well that is not happening until she is at least 18yrs old!!!! An accident means she would be dead, no ifs about it (other than miracles). I have allowed her to do 'small scale' bungy jumping. But she went with my oldest nephew and he tandem jumped with her... it was at Great America so the height wasn't that high either.

Our younger two boys are also daredevils. Thankfully they aren't interested in any sports that I won't allow... yet. I am sure the day will come though with those two. I can see them wanting to mountain bike, etc. But money is a factor so that won't be happening.

My kids have done atvs & a ds has done football. I consider football a dangerous sport. I was very happy when he decided he didn't want to do it anymore. I had never seen so many kids end up with broken arms, legs, fingers, etc.

Yes, I think that foot ball is dangerous. So is boxing. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would choose to get into a ring and let another person punch them.:lol: I realize that the goal is to not get hit, but still.:001_huh:

I was a cheerleader, and I had more sprains and injuries than my soccer playing friends.

My DD is only 7, but so far she rides her bicycle around the neighborhood, and a razor-style scooter, has a skateboard (which she hasn't mastered yet), and just got inline skates which she's been wearing every day since Christmas. I make her wear a helmet for bike/scooter and helmet and elbow and knee pads and wrist guards for skating. I'll probably let her leave off the elbow pads once I'm sure she had the hang of the skates--skinned knees and broken wrists are the bigger hazards there.

She also does SCA youth combat, which at her level isn't particularly hazardous, but as the kids get bigger they start hitting harder, and once they're 14 or 16 (I forget which) they switch to rattan weapons instead of foam-padded PVC. Of course, armor requirements are a bit more stringent at that point as well (steel helm required, for example, while the kids can wear sports helmets like hockey or football w/ a face grid). If she sticks with it into adult heavy fighting, plenty of bruising, bloodied noses, and occasional broken bones can occur. It's all part of the fun. :tongue_smilie:

Overall, getting in the car to go somewhere probably remains more hazardous than any of the sports she's ever likely to do.

But but but, what about the hiker who had to drink his own urine and cut off his own arm when a boulder pinned him???

Terri

:svengo: oh my! ....but that is a freak accident. Hiking isn't inherently dangerous, right? (right?) lol

We do. Both of my older boys race dirt bikes. Not only is it one of the most expensive sports, it is the most dangerous. Between races, gear, bike maintenance and travel it can cost upwards of $5000 a year.

I was against it from the beginning, my husband was the advocate for the boys. But then I realized that they love to do it. They didn't want to play soccer, or basketball and I was not prepared to force them to do something that they disliked. They want to race dirt bikes, especially our eldest.

Everything has the potential to be dangerous. Heck, I fell down the stairs and hurt my shoulder carrying a box of Christmas ornaments!:D We have provided the boys with everything that they need to be safe, but we also realized that there is only so much that we can control, and they probably will get hurt.

Stairs can be tricky :lol:

Elaine, I know your right. It is the sport he likes best and I should just try to keep him safe. I do hope he doesn't find out about dirt bike racing, though! :eek:

I agree with the others who have said that anything can be dangerous... even falling out of bed can break a collarbone.

That said, I *thought* we chose a sport for our kids that was one of the safer ones.... soccer. Over the years, both kids have had x-rays on knees, elbows, wrists, ankle injuries & sprains, and ds had a concussion from stopping a ball with his face (it was kicked from about three feet away and he didn't even see it coming).

A friend ours has a dd who tripped on the field and broke her collar bone. We've also been at games where we've heard of broken arms and wrists and even a broken leg a few fields over. So much for soccer being a 'safer' sport.

I think the trick is to make it as safe as you can with training and gear and let the kids 'live'. There is no doubt that the anxiety is there when they engage in a sport they enjoy, though. It is definitely hard.

BTW.... I would not be good hiking, as I trip over every rock and tree root, but I'm really stable on a mountain bike! :tongue_smilie:

:svengo: oh my! ....but that is a freak accident. Hiking isn't inherently dangerous, right? (right?) lol

Stairs can be tricky :lol:

Elaine, I know your right. It is the sport he likes best and I should just try to keep him safe. I do hope he doesn't find out about dirt bike racing, though! :eek:

I won't tell him if you don't.:D

Good luck!

My dd jumps her horses.....ummmmm thankfully, for cross country they now have protective vets and helmets.

I think it's worse for me, because I have done this as a proffessional. I can see the flick of an ear or slightly dropped hoof and I'm running to the fence...before the accident has happened.

This must be why I have anxiety issues now!!!!

well in the past BMX bikes, dirt bikes, 4-wheeler, hunting (sharp shooting), my son's regularly are gone in the woods by themselves or out on the lake by themselves.

I have taught them precaution depending on the sport and they have never betrayed that trust. They are really responsible guys. They take their safety seriously but still like the adrenaline that young men seek.

I choose not to be afraid. I sometimes get a little nag in my head and really want to keep them from danger but my faith allows me to give my kids freedom and know that they are in "His" hands

I agree that all sports have some danger. But so far nothing's come up that's really worried me.

Oldest dd has only done Special Olympics softball, basketball and volleyball.

Younger dd has done gymnastics, bowling, soccer and Judo.

ds has done gymnastics, bowling and soccer. He'll be starting Tee ball in the spring...

I guess downhill mountain biking would worry me more than that stuff but if you wanted to look up sports accidents I'm sure you could find them with gymnastics or football or whatever, too...

Ds13 does optional level competitive gymnastics. He fractured his thumb last week - second break ever AND second break in 2010. :glare: He's cross-training with some national team members in sport TKD until he can do gymnastics again. Both his breaks and some pulls and strains in the past happened during gymnastics practice, but it's what he loves. Climbing my walls (literally!) at home because he has too much energy is dangerous too. My daughter is a lower level competitive gymnast and does recreational-level sport TKD along with ds15 and ds11.

I try not to think about it most of the time, and repeatedly tell myself that couch potato-hood is dangerous too, just more insidiously than the obvious dangers of many sports.

I try to be flexible, but I'm not very. . .

I'm OK with mtn biking, down hill skiing, and various others. I just insist on the best possible protective gear.

I veto ice hockey, football, doing 'headers' in soccer. . .

I probably would not allow my kid to do a 'mtn biking park' unless he was being supervised/coached directly by someone who is both expert and very responsible. If those things were in place, along with extreme safety gear, I'd probably allow it at some point. Maybe at age 13+.

FYI, my mtn biking brother bought him & his gf "full face helmets" after his gf's serious face injury mtn biking. So, if you don't have one yet, now is time.

Yes. I try not to worry too much. My kids play lots of sports and I find myself holding my breath often. Last year my son broke his big toe walking down stairs and a few years ago my daughter (she's nine and has been a flyer on a competitive cheer squad for 3 years) SMASHED a bone in her thumb bowling. :/