Menu

Do you let your children participate in dangerous sports?

Yes, I have a competitive gymnast at an optional level in a top gym that costs well over $10,000 yearly if you count travel costs. She has never broken a bone, but her brother has - playing kickball. :001_smile:

This reminds me of my cousin. He grew up playing rugby and ice hockey, never had a major injury. Wasn't until he was playing badmitton that he got his first teeth knocked out!

All activities are dangerous to some degree. We have encouraged our dc to live life fully as a participant, not a spectator. This means I get a few more gray hairs each year, but they grow enormously in self-confidence & fitness. Dd sails, tramps, rows, & scuba dives. In the past she swam competitively, as well as played soccer, field hockey, & gymnastics. Ds#1 is a competative gymnast & sails, rows, & is learning to scuba dive. He has played soccer & field hockey as well. Ds#2 plays field hockey for the provincial team & sails. He has played soccer, ice hockey, & competative gymnastics as well. They are more likely to be injured driving the car on the road than participating in organized sports IMHO.

I have quietly discouraged skateboarding (I don't like the crowd that hangs out at the local ramps) & motorbike riding (that really scares me, but dh is strongly encouraging it.)

Edited by Deb in NZ

then yes. In fact, this year my 16yob is driving himself to and from the mountain. He's been driving since 14 1/2 and is very responsible. He's probably a more attentive driver than I am. I wouldn't have let my oldest drive himself at that age. In fact, he didn't have a license until he was 17, by his own choice.

This is why they say having a child is like wearing your heart outside of you.

:iagree:

Skating and sledding are as dangerous as it gets here...so far. Oh, and climbing trees, and other playground equipment to such heights that I start to hyperventilate. Wolf's been known to call out, "Don't do that, Mom's here, she'll pass out!" to the Littles.

He's all for the kids doing crazy stunts, bmx racing, dirtbikes, etc, etc.

I keep reminding him that I birthed non injured, non scarred children, and I want them to STAY that way.

He figures if you get through childhood without stitches( or at least the potential for them), you weren't really a kid.

Did I mention that I think he's a bit nuts in some regards? :lol:

I draw the line at motorized toys. ATVs and Motorcycles are, to me, a bit too risky. When something goes wrong while riding those, you don't just break a bone, you can die. One of my ds played football and I didn't like it, but I let him. Now both boys are into soccer and while I think its safer, I've seen some pretty nasty injuries. Just not as many, and not as severe as with football. My kids love to ride bikes and my 14 yo loves to mountain bike. I'd let him. But, I wouldn't watch :ack2:

My son is green with envy and wonders how yours managed to get into this because around here it is hard to get started (he says). He is involved in Realms, and SCA people join them from time to time. I suggested they might have been born into Atenveldt?

-Nan

Nan, I assume you were talking to me? PM me with your location and I'd be happy to look up details for your area if I can. Not all SCA kingdoms have youth combat, and even within ones that do you have to have enough interested adults willing to volunteer to marshall, etc. to keep it going.

ETA: I just realized your username has a location in it...

Massachusetts is part of the East Kingdom. Here's their youth combat website:

http://youthfighters.eastkingdom.org/

Edited by Ravin

As far as sports go, mine have done gymnastics, karate (I don't consider it dangerous, but it is the one that gave a broken bone.), swimming (Again, not supposed to be dangerous...), horseback riding, soccer, tennis, ice skating, skateboarding, snowboarding, skiing, and tubing (lake/with me driving=dangerous:D). I think horses have been the most dangerous thing they have done. We had some really close calls, but no injuries at all with it. (Dd was 7 when the horse started galloping with her on it during a lesson, stopped abruptly, and sent her in a front flip over its head. She landed on her feet and exclaimed how fun it was! I'm shocked I ever let her back on.) The nondangerous sports are the ones mine have received injuries from.;)

My guys have played soccer, basketball, baseball, football, and raced BMX without an injury.

My oldest son ran into the wall running from his brothers and needed 3 stitches, and my middle son tried to stand on a ball and fell and broke his arm. The youngest fell on a slick part of a parking lot and broke his elbow.

We always support any activity our children are passionate about and that has included skydiving brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Lots of protective gear and tons of prayers :001_smile:

My Dd wants to do this... not happening before she is 18!!!!!! :eek::svengo:

I am pretty easy going for most things but that just is too yikes for me-LOL. Um, can you tell I am scared of heights!!!!????

So far the injuries we have had to deal with are:

Ds#1 falling and biting through his lip when he was 16months old... had to get 3 stitches on inside lip and 4 stitches on outside lip.

Ds#1 falling at a water park and biting the concrete... messing up four upper front baby teeth when he was 3 1/2 yrs old.

Ds#1 falling down two steps at school and spraining his ankle when he was in 5th grade.

Ds#1 flipped over and bit the scooter handle bar and breaking a front tooth... needed a root canal and stitches in his lip... when he was in 6th grade.

Dd fell against fire place, hitting her head on corner when she was 4yrs old. Thankfully just mild concussion, no stitches were needed.

Dd several falls from skateboarding... twice needed medical attention to get gravel cleaned out.. age 8-13.

Dd sprained her knee in wrestling in 6th grade.

Dd falling down the stairs using the crutches for her sprained knee in 6th grade (some how she did not make it worse... just more bruises).

Dd bruised/sprained her foot kicking in Kung Fu twice in 4 months (second time July of 2010, just a week before she competed in AAU Jr Olympics).

Dd cut her elbow with the sword in Kung Fu during competition. She could have had 3-4 stitches but it was right on the pointy part of joint... so doctor said not to bother as the stitches wouldn't hold, just butterflyed it and kept it wrapped.

Ds#2 broke/smooshed a finger pulling a pots/pan shelf out on it when he was 1yrs old.

Ds#2 fell in a window well that was covered in snow and needing 6 stitches in back of his head when he was 4 yrs old.

Ds#2 got 3rd degree burn on his leg from climbing on Dh's hot motorcycle when he was 5yrs old.

Ds#2 sprained his elbow falling from tree when he was 8yrs old.

Ds#3.... I can't actually remember him getting injured.... wow... that is a miracle!!!!! I have no idea how he has gotten unscathed so far. He has had a lot of close calls though... he has had to have a coin removed from his throat, he has been hit by a car, he has fallen from the play set that is 7 feet off ground.

So for the most part... the injuries my kids get are from "every day" playing or clumsiness-LOL. Except for Dd.