Menu

How much of the school year have you completed?

How much of the school year have you completed and when did you start?

We started in late September and are about 20% of the way through the school year. Local schools will be halfway through the school year in early February so we are a little behind. We started later and had some time off for a move.

Without looking at a calendar, I believe we are near week 14/15 out of 36. Not bad--it could be better, but it could be worse. It really doesn't matter for my high-schooler. I'll make her complete all of her classes, no matter how long (or short) it takes. I know I don't have to for it to count as a credit, but it's a good balance for her.

We are only doing a very simple K year with one child.

She is reading well, we are on lesson 46 out of 77 in math and have read all but one of the books I selected for read-alouds (we added in a few extra and the one unread is a Christmas gift). So I figure we are 75% done. We began in August.

I'm sure next year won't be so easy!

We have no legal requirements this year since the mandatory school age is 6. Next year I'll count days/weeks. Trying to keep it very informal this year.

Edited by ScoutTN

Not enough! I like to be done before May starts, but this year, no way.

HOWEVER, we did spend the fall diagnosing two huge issues and putting in place remedies for both (time intensive physical and vision therapies). So, I consider that major progress despite the lowered lesson count.

We started the first week of August and are just over half done in most subjects, and well over half in a few. We should be able to finish completely by the end of the first week in May. We'll be done with some subjects by the end of February and will use the extra time on the subjects we have left.

I intend to have all my planning and purchasing done before May as well because I NOT spending another summer with my hiney glued to the chair in front of the computer as I try to track down all the history and literature stuff I need. I'm about at the 2/3 point with my planning and purchasing for next year. I'm going to have a summer break this year!

We start some subjects early and different subjects have different numbers of weeks. I am thrilled to be at the halfway point for math and Latin--those are biggies. A lot of Language Arts will be finished early (FLL, MCT stuff). For a few things we're at week 16 of 36, and I want everything done by Memorial Day, so not sure we can take any time off from those. Luckily one of them is history which we love. So if we have to read some books over spring break it won't kill us.

Just about halfway with everything. I need a few more sessions with this semester's math, but we can overlap with next semester's (as they're two different classes from MITOpencourseware, not a continuation).

Of course, I suppose it would help us stay on schedule if I actually got off my duff and bought the textbook for next semester's math. And, really, I don't even need to do that; I can buy it while sitting at the computer. Why won't I just buy the dang thing?

Ugh! We are SO FAR behind. We never actually finish a year.....sad, but true.

omg yes, us too!!

We started in Sept, and had so much "Life" happen and needed to make so many changes that, I've decided to chalk up the 55 days we did complete to "autumn trouble spot focus" and we're restarting our year over again Jan. 10th.

Here too

We are, on average 20-25% through... however I have told the kids it's comin round after the new year!

We're around day 70 of 160 (minimum). So almost halfway. We started in mid-late August and have had a pretty good, uninterrupted year. We've just taken random days off here and there. I'd hoped to be at 80 days by the end of December, but we're close enough!!:) We did 2 days of school this week and will try to fit in a couple next week, depending on how things go (I'm going a little extra child care while friends are out of school). All in all, I'm happy with where we are!

We started August 16, take a long weekend once every month or so, a week for Thanksgiving, 3 weeks for Christmas, and we'll be finished May 16. BUT--I'm thinking of adding a few extra days off in February & April, and extending our school year until May 23.

Edited by ereks mom