Menu

Christian moms, do you allow your teens to watch Glee?

I think it's just a matter of their maturity level and their hearts. If you feel that they might be easily influenced by what the see on television, then, I would say no. However, if you know that they would just be "entertained" by the show, then sit in with them when they view it.

Better yet, watch the show yourself FIRST and go from there.

I personally, have watched the show once.

I won't watch it again.

:D

Disclaimer: I am a more libral-leaning Christian, and my oldest is 10.

I enjoy this show. I think it is somewhat cheesy and fun. I enjoy the talent. I would have no problems watching with my 10yo if she had an interest. I think it's a great way to easily talk about some hotter topics, like teen pregnancy, stereotypes, etc. Yet we don't have tv, so I watch it in my later night alone time on Hulu.

My DD watches it. I don't have a problem with it. She's like me: The finer points that might be objectionable go right over her head.* Plus, she isn't going to be infected with Bad Morals or Bad Thoughts or Bad Actions or Bad Anything from a t.v. show. She is also really good at determining what would be Bad for Her, and since she's stricter than I, that's a good thing.

*She and I were flabbergasted that the Twilight series had a s*xual theme. Sure, maybe in the last book, but the first one?!

yes, I guess you could say I'm a NO GLEE mom, but I am a PRO JOY mom, I just take Philippians 4:8 really really to heart...I've seen the blessings of doing that and I'll take those blessings over short-lived stimulation anyday...but my children have never expressed an interest, they think Camp Rock and High School Musical were lame...my kids just don't get into the 'what's cool' at the moment...I think that's one of those blessings from following that verse I mentioned.

Tara

I love it! I plan on buying the seasons on DVD so that when dd is old enough say, 12. I will watch it with her so we can have convos about the hot topics and behavior/attitudes and enjoy the music. I've let her watch music routine on occasion, but no dialogue of course.

I think it's important for Christians to be able to see why bad choices are bad. The pg on the show was NOT depicted as fun or something one should do.

I don't think I would and I am not that conservative about TV. I saw one episode and, while I thought it was entertaining, there was an ick factor (the wife faking a pregnancy, the outright mean people always getting the upper hand). It was downright depressing. Since dd10 likes to join me whenever I am watching TV, I decided that this one would not be on our viewing menu.

I'm conflicted. I love the show and am a regular watcher. There are scenes that would make me cringe if I were watching with my teen, but on the other hand there are some very positive influences and sweet moments. The group consists of all kinds of kids from popular jocks and cheerleaders to "geeks" and outsiders. For the most part, these core individuals "do the right thing" and treat each other respectfully, which is what I like and rarely see on television, or even movies for that matter. There's no parent bashing; in fact most of the kids have good relationships with their parents. In the end, I would come down on the side of letting my (hopefully mature) teens watch, because there are many teachable moments in my opinion. (of course I don't have to really make that decision because my dc are 8 & 10!)

ETA: I did think last night's show was WAY oversexualized; couldn't believe the way they were dancing/dressed/etc. I don't think that accurately portrays most of the episodes, unless they are going in that direction from here on out.

Edited by whitestavern

I started out watching it with dh, we let our teens watch just the Neil Patrick Harris episode and I'm almost to the point where *I* don't think I can watch it. :o( I love the idea of the show and the acting, but the subject matter is sex, sex, sex ALL the time and too promiscuous. It's probably a great deterrent to public high school, though, if you're brave enough to let the show be a lesson. Ugh.

I love the idea of the show and the acting, but the subject matter is sex, sex, sex ALL the time and too promiscuous.

This is what's so disappointing to me. I'd probably really like the show if it didn't have so much s*xual content. I love musicals and the whole geek vs. popular crowd theme resonates. But I just keep hearing about storylines I know would be a big turnoff. So I haven't ever watched it.

I keep hearing about what a great show this is, but some of the reviews I've read sound like it would be inappropriate for Christians (some have even said it's "anti-Christian"), but particularly for teens.

We watched episode 1 this season together to check it out. About 1/2 way through, right during the second weird bathroom singing scene of the episode, we all unanimously agreed to stop watching. It was one of those shows so full of embarassing moments it makes you feel sick and embarassed inside, like the first time you watch Napoleon Dynamite but WAY less fun. To top it all off, all that really horrible acting, over-singing, cheesey and too-obviously-lip-synced nonsense churned my stomach like grocery store potato salad left in the sun too long. More than anything else, I don't want to expose my children to such tripe and give the appearance that I endorse such drivel as "good music" or "art" (I nearly choked just typing that last word). Fortunately, we were too offended by the bad acting, silly choreography, awkward bathroom singing scenes and absurd lip sync attempts to see if it was anti-anything except, of course, anti-good-taste. It's a pass for me and mine.

My only issue is that it is VERY oversexualized, regarding the dancing. I watched it last night and was horrified by the "teens" dirty dancing in school girl outfits to Brittany Spears. And I'm NOT very conservative at all. We wear shorts and tank tops, bikinis, etc. I like rock music, etc. And if it was adults portrayed that way it might not be so bad...but the idea of teens being that sexualized bugs me.

My only issue is that it is VERY oversexualized, regarding the dancing. I watched it last night and was horrified by the "teens" dirty dancing in school girl outfits to Brittany Spears. And I'm NOT very conservative at all. We wear shorts and tank tops, bikinis, etc. I like rock music, etc. And if it was adults portrayed that way it might not be so bad...but the idea of teens being that sexualized bugs me.

:iagree: I really enjoy the show, but NO WAY are my girls (12yo) watching this, at least till they're way older (right now I'd think 17? - maybe I'll soften before then if I somehow decide they're mature enough - but maybe not, and NOT anytime soon!)

And I'm not even Christian - I don't think it has anything to do with religion, I just think it's too oversexualized to show to kids.

I think it's gotten even more sexualized as it's gone on.

I do watch it, and my boys could care less, but dd just knows enough about it to be culturally aware without being influenced by it.

I remember when I discovered Broadway--and then discovered how many of the shows were not the least bit innocent but very adult, in theme and in other ways.

Nope, although I know lots of Christians who do.

(In fact, among my friends, the religiously conservative are the most likely to be Glee fans. Which puzzles me.)

I have watched bits and pieces of many episodes (I channel surf) and a handful of episodes all the way through. My kids haven't seen it.

The crudity bothers me, and the pros of the show don't outweigh it for me. (In contrast, I enjoyed watch Sex and the City. The crudity bothered me there, too, but there were more good moments to balance it out.)

I like the idea of the show, and it would be nice to be able to use it as a discussion starter with my kids, but I just can't get past the crudity.

It seems that if you raise the kids with a good "trash meter", they learn to use it themselves. None of my kids have been even slightly interested in watching the show.

there have been a few people who have said that they and/or their teens enjoy this show (i'm one of them) ~ i suspect that we have all raised our kids with 'meters' that we're comfortable & happy with & view as good. :)

there have been a few people who have said that they and/or their teens enjoy this show (i'm one of them) ~ i suspect that we have all raised our kids with 'meters' that we're comfortable & happy with & view as good. :)

The word "trash" was not a conviction of those who watch the show, but of the show itself. Standards for what is trash vary widely. What I stated before was obviously my opinion, which I stand with. Completely.

Never heard of the show until clicking on this thread. So I just watched a season 1 episode on hulu. what is it? Usually I don't watch much TV to know what's on and usually don't care, but I was curious.....

If my high school age dd wanted to watch it, we'd watch it together. The episode I saw was so over the top, satire and parody. There were a few moments to talk about some issues, but not enough to warrant watching more episodes.

I just can't see her being all that interested in Glee. She's much more into Ice Road Truckers and Pawn Stars and American Pickers. I just can't imagine she'd be interested in Glee. And with the description that the 2nd season has taken more of a s*x stuff, well, I know my teen wouldn't be interested.

-crystal

My husband loves it, but I get a horrible vibe from it and won't watch it. I'm usually not one to have issues with shows for morality, but for some reason, I know I wouldn't let my kids watch this one. It really seems to actively promote behavior that I am not OK with (homosexuality, promiscuity, adultery). I hate it when a show wants you to have a marriage break up. I think that was the worst part for me.

I love Glee!! And I am a conservative Christian. Glee isn't a stumbling block for me. I don't have to agree with/approve of everything on the shows I watch to enjoy them. I enjoy some of the humor and it does have some interesting themes.

Satire. If dd cannot understand metaphor, satirical humor, basic biological urges, caricature characters, tokenism and still know to keep her drawers on and not be a foul mouthed creature due to a tv show, I am a failure and should not have been a parent. JMHO.

:iagree: I'm not sure at what age I would let my kids watch. Definitely not their current ages. Heck, I would discourage my husband from watching the Brittany Spears episode. And the Madonna one. But I'm not one to censor all media that contains something objectionable. My preference is to allow certain shows/movies when I feel they are old enough to appreciate it without being introduced to certain concepts prematurely, and then talk about what we see.

So, I probably would encourage my son to avoid it, or not to watch certain episodes. For my girls, when they have a good understanding of what sex is and what God says about it, and when I know they're not likely to be drawn to what they're seeing, they can watch it (if they want to).

I really don't like to watch shows like Glee. They really don't seem to interest me, partly because we are Christian and we believe God didn't intend for is to watch it. Although, Secret Life of the American teenager can teach many kids not to get pregnant at such a young age!:lol:

I don't have teens yet....but no, I wouldn't.

I've only seen the first season really...I was in competitive show choir as a teen and literally LOL at how ridiculous and realistic it was all at the same time. I think I know the choreographer who inspired one specific episode.:tongue_smilie:

If you don't want your teens watching the show, keep them out of show choir (and marching band) irl. (ridiculous and realistic all at the same time...)

I really don't like to watch shows like Glee. They really don't seem to interest me, partly because we are Christian and we believe God didn't intend for is to watch it. Although, Secret Life of the American teenager can teach many kids not to get pregnant at such a young age!:lol:

Ugh Secret Life... that is banned from our house not just because they say sex 900 times an episode but because the acting is so TERRIBLE. They must be the most wooden actors I have ever seen.

Ugh Secret Life... that is banned from our house not just because they say sex 900 times an episode but because the acting is so TERRIBLE. They must be the most wooden actors I have ever seen.

I agree. I only saw it once at a friends insistence. No creativity or thoughtfulness at all.

I've seen Glee about 5 times, and it often makes me cry. It's satirical at the same time it is touching. (If over-the-top). The episode where the boy came out to his father had me blubbering.

The first season we watched it together and discussed it. There was enough fun that I enjoyed it with my older dc. Season two was still not too bad, some content to discuss but nothing I thought was outrageous for high school.

This season, I'm not loving it. I had dd14 watch the gleecap rather than the show this week after my sister said it was way too sexual. I figured if my unmarried, non-parental sister was identifying something as over-the-top, I'd better listen.

It's very tongue-in-cheek, and I love tongue-in-cheek shows, so I watch it, but I don't let dd (12.5) watch it. She'd take it literally. I watch it on Hulu after she's in bed.

I don't particularly think it's anti-Christian per se. It's definitely NOT a morally uplifting show, but I don't see where it's actually bashing Christians. In fact, from what I've read, Mark Salling (Noah Puckerman) is a Christian himself.

My kids and I love this show for the music- but the drama is certainly your average trashy drama. It only started a few weeks ago here and there is a teenage girl who gets pregnant to one of the teenage guys, but she doesnt think he would be a good father so she sets up another guy to think he is the father jsut because they were in a hot-tub together. I am looking at this and rolling my eyes at the tacky drama. I can imagine many parents not feeling it is appropriate. I feel my kids can handle that sort of thing and recognise it for what it is...and I watch it with them....and we love the music.

There are lots of good messages in it also.