Menu

Good morning! FYI, I'm coming over in half an hour!

I'm going to drop off something I promised to give you (or something like that), and it would be terribly rude of you not to invite me in, wouldn't it? :D

So!

What would you spend the next 30 minutes until I get there doing? Would you be able to just sit back and kick up your feet because either A) your house is very neat or B) your house isn't very neat but you couldn't care less?

Would you be thoroughly embarrassed because there's no possible way you can get your house presentable in 30 minutes and you're just going to have to keep me standing on your door step, rude or not? (But what if I really have to pee?! Are you going to send me to the corner gas station after I came all that way?!)

Or do you have a specific short list of things you think you can run around like a lunatic doing (perhaps if the kids pitch in and help!) and things would at least be tidy enough that you wouldn't be embarrassed when I come in?

What, specifically, would you spend that time doing?

Feel free to play along. Obviously I'm NOT really coming to your house LOL.

----

I would first let out a sigh of relief that I'd cleaned my kitchen last night and that the downstairs bathroom is reasonably clean, too.

I would then start issuing orders to the kids and having them help me:

1) Put away the clean, folded laundry that has been sitting on the love seat in the computer room for about three days now.

2) Clean the toys off of the living room floor.

3) Vacuum the living room floor (and the steps).

4) Dust and clean the glass (oh man there are SO many fingerprints all over the mirror right now!) in the living room.

5) Sweep the floor in the computer room.

6) Gulp down a quick breakfast.

7) Take a quick shower.

I could easily get it done in half an hour, I think, especially with the kids' help, and I'd be perfectly fine with letting you in my house... as long as you didn't have any strange desire to go upstairs.

The upstairs hallways and stairs could really need a vacuuming, and none of the bedrooms are particularly neat at the moment. (They end up being SO low on my priority list, and if you read my "How many days a week are you committed to being out of the house" thread yesterday, perhaps you'd know why!!!)

And the upstairs bathroom could use a cleaning! (I am not sure if I could get to that within the 30 minute time period, especially if I'm taking a shower, but there's no reason you can't just use the downstairs bathroom if you've gotta go)! :P

Next?

Edited by NanceXToo

1. Start coffee and throw a coffee cake or some sort of nibble in oven.

2. Have kids to a 5 minute pick up drill in all the main rooms.

3. Wipe counters, appliances, quick vacuum.

4. Quick shower, dress and hair up in ponytail.

5. Throw kids outside to play.

6. Shut doors to bedrooms. Tightly.

7. Answer door with a big smile - Welcome.

I try to keep my house in the 15 minutes or less away from being presentable.

Option B - if house has gotten in a state due to big project, sickness or something:

1. Meet you at door with big go mug of coffee and suggest a walk in the gorgeous morning while we chat.

2. No, really, you don't have shoes for walking. Let's sit out on the deck. Isn't it pretty? Here, let me take the chair facing the house and you can take the chair facing well away from any windows.

Well, since you asked.

I'd put on a bra, brush my hair and load the dishwasher....that's probably it though. The rest you'd just have to over look!

My house is a little bit messy right now, but nothing I'd worry about too much. We live here after all :001_smile:

I would probably try to feed you while you are here. My Southern upbringing dictates that I must.

I have a great room where kitchen, dining and living room are all together.

1. Clean the guest bathroom:tongue_smilie:

2. Clear off the kitchen table, unload the dishwasher and load it back up.

3. Pick up toys on living room floor and vacuum.

4. Clear off papers and such off bar and table and stick in closet till I can get to them.

5. Running and panting by this time:ack2: Get dress and brush hair.

6. Close all other doors to house and hope kids won't open them!

Invite you in and act as if my house ALWAYS looks this way!:leaving:

Ooh, reading your post just made me so anxious :lol: My house is an embarrassing wreck. I probably wouldn't invite you in just for a chat, but if you needed to come in for the bathroom or phone or whatever, I'd manage. I would spend the the half hour sprinting around, trying to shovel some of the clutter and vacuum the bathroom floor (in case you needed it), but there's only so far I could get in that time. The rest, you'd have to overlook!

1. Clean the guest bathroom, it's pretty icky

2. Sweep the family room floor

3. Unload and reload the dishwasher

There are other things I could do, but I've been on a cleaning binge for the last few days so my house is in pretty good shape.

That said, if you were my friend, I would let you in no matter what shape the house was in, and make sure that I clorox wet wiped one toilet for ya!

Well, your in luck! I clean up before I go to bed, so all I'd have to do is shower, get dressed, make a pot of tea, and organize the library that is my coffee table and couch. I might check the main bathroom for cleanliness, as it's the kids' job to keep it clean, and sometimes it's lacking. Assuming that it was looking good, I'd probably set about making some pancakes for breakfast (It's 7am here). Hmm, it looks like my dog is shedding again, so I suppose I'll be vacuuming too.

But you've got to be fast! Pancakes just aren't the same when they've been sitting. :001_smile:

I'm going to drop off something I promised to give you (or something like that), and it would be terribly rude of you not to invite me in, wouldn't it? :D

Oh my goodness, even in our time zone, it's only 10 a.m. on a Saturday. The first thing I'd probably do is get dressed, and that'd be all I'd have time for.

Otoh, my house is picked up each night, and since not much has happened yet this morning, it'd be simple to put away the cooler on the counter (from soccer last night) and put the computer away. There's nothing else I would have to do. Coffee's already on for us.

And since I'm already dressed this a.m., I probably wouldn't do anything else and just do my regular stuff until you get here.

My kids would hide in their bedrooms, which they'd probably do no matter what time it is, unless you brought your kids.

:)

Okay, after I stopped hyperventilating...

1. Clean downstairs bathroom.

2. Do dishes and wipe down counters.

3. Sweep and vacuum the floors.

4. Have the kids pick up the playroom.

5. Put crime scene do not cross tape up at the bottom of the steps because going upstairs may literally kill you!

You'd have to deal with the fact that my floors (all wood) haven't had a good washing in months and that we couldn't sit at the dining room table because of the many projects that have a home there.

Oh dear.

1. Get dressed, with a bra

2. Send a kid to whip the kid bathroom into a guest ready appearance

3. Send another to clear and wipe down the dining table

4. Have the little girls pick up the entryway

5. Announce the impending vacuuming of the living room, which will cause the big Lego mess to magically disappear

6. Clear couch, chair, end table

7. Close my bedroom door (right next to guest/kid bathroom), and possibly the sewing room door too, depending on if I know you're a crafter that would understand the messy process

7. Make more coffee

That's it. The kid rooms and play area behind the couch will likely be a disaster, as will the kitchen. The dining room will need swept. But I have a snuggly two week old baby I can hand you to keep you in the living room facing away from the mess. :001_smile:

I'd panic..especially today.

Throw the oldest into the bathroom and have him clean it for guests.

Send youngest in with the toy basket to pick up the living room floor from last night's lego/magnetix building party (no matter what day it is, this is usually the case - they like to build while Daddy reads to them, and we don't always do a pickup)

I'd hit the kitchen since it's the room that you walk into, unload the dishwasher, reload and throw all the pots and pans into the oven from last night's cooking session that I haven't had time to clean (no matter what time of day it is, this is probably the case).

Do a quick Febreeze spritz in the entry way since that's where all of the sports bags are stored.

Run and dress quickly, put on my baseball cap since I probably haven't had (taken) the time to shower, yet, and welcome you in with that smile that says..just please don't say anything if you feel it's too messy LOL, then offer you a glass of sweet tea.

This is definitely something hubby and I have been talking over recently as we want to begin practicing the art of hospitality more, and never feel like our house is good enough. But we need to get over the good enough and make it presentable and just invite folks over, anyway!

So glad you can stop by! Very grateful for the advanced notice. :D

That blur you see is me racing around the house throwing everything into a big laundry basket so I can hide it in the bedroom.

That high-pitched noise you hear is me wildly shrieking directives at my daughter to Clean Things.

That interesting thing you smell--no, not THAT one, I'm going to take a shower before you come, I promise!!--is the morning's coffee being dumped out and fresh coffee being put on.

And when you arrive, I will be sitting relaxed (and clean) at the table, feet up, offering you coffee and muffins (box mix) as soon as they're out of the oven.

That's my fantasy.

In reality I have 15 people coming over tomorrow for a Pampered Chef party but I haven't lifted a finger, although mentally I am panicking and doing all the aforementioned tasks, while counting the minutes until the baby wakes and needs attention again...

I'd put on a bra, brush my hair and load the dishwasher....that's probably it though.
This, though I'd weigh the likelihood of your going into the kitchen before loading the dishwasher. :tongue_smilie: I'd also clear all the books from the couch.

My ds is still asleep and I'm not dressed. I would put on a bra and brush my teeth. I'd make more coffee, because if you're visiting at this hour you'll probably want coffee. I'd clean the litter box too. I'd wake up the boy, who fell asleep in the living room, and scoot him off to his bed.

I'd ask you to excuse the moving boxes piled around and I'd scoot the dog off to her room, because she likes to jump.

Are you bringing over curriculum I haven't seen? :D

after working at letting your presumptuous attitude and expectations go, :D I'd throw myself together and vacuum downstairs. If I didn't have time to vacuum the entire downstairs, I'd at least do the area rugs and a quick dust mop.

I am NOT a morning person and I would NOT appreciate someone showing up in the morning. I wish I was a bright, cherry eyed, get up and go, sing while doing morning chores type of person, but I'm NOT. I have to accept that.

Siiiiiiiiigh.

:001_smile:

My house is even more of a disaster than usual right now. I'm going to be spending today cleaning it but there's nothing that can be done in 30 minutes that would make even a dent in the mess. I'd probably try to keep you out on the deck. :tongue_smilie:

If I thought of it, I'd probably do a quick clean of the bathroom just in case you needed to use it.

1. Since you're a female, I'm not bothering with the bra. :)

2. I'd ask the kids to clean up the school/playroom, as it looks like the Island of Sodor was overtaken last night by The Band of Giant Stuffed Animals.

3. I'd clean up the hallway, as everyone seems to have come home last night and dropped things all along it.

4. I'd brew some fresh coffee.

No the house isn't in perfect shape, but the bathrooms and floors are presentable. Just please don't bring your white glove -- we live near the ocean and have had some terrible winds the last couple weeks. That's not only dust, but also sand that's made it through the screens! (On the list to tackle next week).

"Oh, hon, I'm sorry. I've had a bad night yet again. Would you just leave it on the porch. I'll get it as soon as I'm functioning well. Do you, Bob and the kids want to come to dinner tomorrow night? I'll be making lasagna."

Now if this call announcing a guest in 30 minutes occurs in the afternoon. I's spend 10 minutes straigntening up and 5 minutes preparing a snack of some type.

Saturday is cleaning day for most families. You'll have to overlook lots of things because you actually may catch me in the middle of the weekly cleaning spree.

Edited by Parrothead

I would first let out a sigh of relief that I'd cleaned my kitchen last night and that the downstairs bathroom is reasonably clean, too.

I would then start issuing orders to the kids and having them help me:

1) Put away the clean, folded laundry that has been sitting on the love seat in the computer room for about three days now.

2) Clean the toys off of the living room floor.

3) Vacuum the living room floor (and the steps).

4) Dust and clean the glass (oh man there are SO many fingerprints all over the mirror right now!) in the living room.

5) Sweep the floor in the computer room.

6) Gulp down a quick breakfast.

7) Take a quick shower.

I could easily get it done in half an hour, I think, especially with the kids' help, and I'd be perfectly fine with letting you in my house... as long as you didn't have any strange desire to go upstairs.

How in the WORLD could you get all of that done in 30 minutes?

I will add that I would also take a windex wipe to the cobalt glass vessel sink in the bathroom to make it shiny and beautiful.

If there are things to pick up around the house (all of the downstairs is open concept, everything in view) I'd slowly put things away, but I wouldn't care one single bit about having my house 100%. It's not bad at all, but knowing that the kids are up, there would be dishes from breakfast, last night's blankets, etc. But our house is where we LIVE, it's not a showplace. It's clean, but you know we live here. :) The house will look great if only I have time to vacuum. Dark area rug, light colored dog.

If you were someone who knew me very well, I'd do nothing and invite you in, because you would already know that I'm pretty much a walking disaster zone.

If you were a new friend or a relative stranger, I'd... hm. Get very anxious! Saturdays are cleaning days here after our crazy weeks, but I haven't started yet, so it's pretty messy! I'd probably just give the bathroom a quick cleaning and get DD to throw everything in a bedroom and shut the door. :tongue_smilie:

1) I'd wipe down the guest bathroom (gotta love lysol wipes!):)

2) Tell the kids to pick up the remnants of last night's movie party (blankets/pillows all over living room floor)

3) get dressed

4) make some juice and see if I had any boxed muffins to whip up really quickly

5) breathe and remind myself you're a homeschooling mamma too and understand that we REALLY live here.:D

I would ask you to get the snake out of my house. That should keep you away for a while.;)

:lol::lol: I saw the title to your thread before I clicked on this one. Btdt, btw. Yup, I'm thinking you'd have very few visitors in this particular situation.

As for me, the hall bathroom would be my main concern so ds14 would be sent to do a quick clean (this is his regular chore so he's lightning fast). Dd11 is my tidy freak so she'd be racing around putting the living room in order before I ever got off the phone. Then ds would vacuum the living room and foyer. While they were doing those things I'd be making a fresh pot of coffee and cleaning the kitchen. Oh, I'd throw on my jean skirt and a fresh top and run a brush through my hair. 30 minutes is not enough time for me to take a shower and deal with my hair so that wouldn't happen.

I would:

Wipe down the main bathroom

Wash the breakfast dishes

Sweep the hard floor

Vacuum the carpet

Debate whether to scoop the litter box or just lock the cats in the upstairs bathroom while HIDING the litter box (Only b/c I'm pregnant and dh isn't home. Otherwise, I'd definitely scoop it!)

And then just accept the rest of the mess, and expect you to, too!

great; i have two kids who need to be at different soccer fields 30 minutes apart in an hour; which one would you like to take? if you take daughter a, then you need to take snack, too. if you take daughter b, then you need to pick up the organic veggies at 10:30. i'll have coffee ready for you to take in the car when you get here....

(meanwhile, how AM i going to do it if you really aren't coming???!!!)

happy soccer saturday,

ann

I have a child who is feeling sick, so I would ask that you drop by another time. Otherwise, I would take a shower and get dressed. Then I would wipe out the downstairs bathroom sink, which I'm certain the kids didn't do after brushing (because they never remember to.) If I had any time left I would find some snacks to offer, and put on a pot of coffee (which we keep mostly for guests.)

Oh, I forgot that my kitchen sink looks pretty gross! I guess I would have my husband clean the bathroom sink while I scrubbed the kitchen sink. Or make sure you didn't go in the kitchen! :tongue_smilie: (I'm not a fan of the old white porcelain farmhouse sinks, btw. It takes forever to make the thing look clean!)

I would dry my hair and cover these horrendous dark circles under my eyes. I would also put away the cards and dice that were left on the dining room table last night, and give the main bathroom a quick check to be sure Hunter's toothpaste isn't smeared on the mirror and that the hand towel is clean. The rest of the house is in good shape.

So glad you can stop by! Very grateful for the advanced notice. :D

That blur you see is me racing around the house throwing everything into a big laundry basket so I can hide it in the bedroom.

That high-pitched noise you hear is me wildly shrieking directives at my daughter to Clean Things.

That interesting thing you smell--no, not THAT one, I'm going to take a shower before you come, I promise!!--is the morning's coffee being dumped out and fresh coffee being put on.

I wouldn't have answered the phone;)

By the way, NOT a nice thread. I just got totally stressed out and had to go scrub my bathroom; and my husband walks by and asks, concerned, "Is everything all right?"

I loved these! :D

Oh, and Classical Country Mama, sometimes I look around, throw my hands up in disgust at whatever clutter or mess everyone left, and go "That's it. We're cleaning. RIGHT NOW."

And I start cleaning and then my husband goes... "Is somebody coming over today?"

And I have to shriek at him "ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY I ONLY CLEAN WHEN WE'RE HAVING COMPANY?! SHUT UP AND MOP!"

(Okay not really, but you know what I mean). LOL

I would probably take 5 - 15 min doing a "once over" to see if there are any dishes in the sink or if the kitchen island was crowded with stuff AGAIN. Fortunately the house is usually in good/presentable condition if someone drops by. NOT true of my entire past however. This has been a learned condition and not learned easily. However, some days I'd be more comfortable to hear from you than others. Even then though, 30 minutes would always be plenty of time. It's SO much easier to live that way now, even though I have to work more to keep it that way.

ACK!! I haven't had a shower yet! That would be what would make me panic!:lol: I guess I would throw on some clothes and put my hair in a headband. I'd also put on some mascara and lipstick because I look sick without them.

As for the house, the common rooms are always relatively picked up. At this moment I'd have one of the kids wipe the breakfast crumbs off the table; one kid remove the towels we use for showers from the front bathroom, put all of the shampoos and stuff under the sink and give the counter a quick wipe down; and I would take my spread out piles on my workspace (a corner of the kitchen island) and put them all in one pile.

We could have the house looking pretty good in 15 minutes. Me on the other hand? It takes a good hour for me to look "company ready.";)

Well...... DH and DS14 went left on a camping trip this morning, so my house looks like it was the staging area for a Boy Scout Troop!

If I had 30 minutes until you got here, I'd jump in the shower (it's only 9am here) and make sure we had a fresh pot of coffee. Everything else would just have to wait.

I would pull scones from the freezer, start the kettle, and clean the bathroom. The house is pretty neat right now aside from the dropcloths and cans of paint in 2 rooms -- but that at least shows I'm working on things! DH is in our room doing his homework, and the kids made their beds right after they got up, so today would not be a crisis.

I think I have the advantage that you wouldn't be coming over in half an hour. Coming from another continent, I daresay you'd give me a full 24 hours notice because it's a really long way to come to find that I'm not home. So, last night I'd have washed the dishes and vacuumed the lounge room floor. This morning I'd have done a quick check to make sure there are no piddly knickers left in random spots by my toilet training daughter, then had a shower and got dressed because you've probably wanted me to pick you up from the airport.

:)

Rosie

Well, since you asked.

I'd put on a bra, brush my hair and load the dishwasher....that's probably it though. The rest you'd just have to over look!

My house is a little bit messy right now, but nothing I'd worry about too much. We live here after all :001_smile:

I would probably try to feed you while you are here. My Southern upbringing dictates that I must.

This is too funny! Yes, I'd put on a bra (if I could find one - if not cami with a shelf bra) and load the coffeepot. No dishwasher here. :) I *might* brush my hair. :)

All I would do is have one of the kids run the handheld vacuum up the stairs (seems all dirt piles there, unfortunately), and I would put any dishes from the sink to the dishwasher and wipe off the counters. That's about it. The rest of the house is usually presentable (not absolutely "perfect," but not normally very messy either).

The longest my 4.5 month old baby has slept without being somehow attached to my body is 25 minutes, and that's only at night, with careful planning, and a lot of luck. You would probably be standing outside. :tongue_smilie: I want to spend four hours cleaning my house so bad it isn't even funny.