Menu

Best book you've read in the last month?

Fiction or non-fiction. Can be a re-read. Doesn't have to be recently published. I'm always looking for something to read...and rarely find anything I like on bestseller lists or other popular sources.

Mine: Thirteen Gun Salute by Patrick O'Brian. Book #13 in the Aubrey/Maturin series. Historical, nautical fiction set in the latter part of the Napoleonic Wars.

Fiction or non-fiction. Can be a re-read. Doesn't have to be recently published. I'm always looking for something to read...and rarely find anything I like on bestseller lists or other popular sources.

Mine: Thirteen Gun Salute by Patrick O'Brian. Book #13 in the Aubrey/Maturin series. Historical, nautical fiction set in the latter part of the Napoleonic Wars.

Non-fiction: I really enjoyed The Invisible Gorilla. It is thought-provoking, to say the least!

Fiction: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle was wonderful, but probably not for everyone.

The Temeraire novels by Naomi Novik. The first one is His Majesty's Dragon. Think O'brien with intelligent interesting dragons. Highly recommend. Also, second The Sparrow and the sequel, whose name escapes me at the moment. Really interesting social commentary in both.

Are these written for adults? At what age would they be appropriate?

I'm really enjoying Ten Thousand Lovers by Edeet Ravel. Because the title might be a bit misleading, I'll add that it's a novel in which the narrator recalls her relationship with an Israeli army interogator in the 70s. It's a love story, argument for peace in Israel, and commentary on the Hebrew language all rolled into one.

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! Adventures of a Curious Character

by Richard P. Feynman

This is a great book!

This past month... Heyday (don't remeber the author, too lazy to google, ken anderson, henderson. kurt? ) still reading... it is long. I am busy.

I read The Hunger Games this weekend in a few hours. Have the others on order from the library. There goes my "I don't tend to like female authors" argument.;)

Graham Greene's The Lawless Roads. Greene's travels through Mexico, much of which comprised source material for The Power and the Glory.

Chilling reading. Greene hated Mexico--in a witty, well-written fashion--and for good reasons.

I was staying with my dad in southern New Mexico while I read it, and there was a surreal moment when I read to him a section where Greene is reading in the Spanish section of the paper about the latest shootings in Juarez (1930's); my dad was reading the El Paso Times, and promptly read back to me an article about the latest shootings in Juarez (2010).

Edited by Sharon in Austin
added link