Menu

(If money didn't matter) what subjects would you pay someone to teach your child?

My friend and I were discussing things or subjects we would consider paying someone else to teach our children if money was no object...

cursive handwriting (bleck), multiplication, foreign language, etc...

I was wondering what, if any you would like someone else to help your child do????

This includes any needed turoring.

What subjects or things would ya'll do?

Edited by joyfulheart

I would definitely love to be able to afford to pay someone to teach them Spanish, art and music.

I love math. Wish you guys lived closer and maybe we could trade out.

ETA: I actually have a friend at church who is a native of Mexico, and she is going to teach my girls Spanish starting in the fall. We are super excited!

The childcare centre down the road has been looking pretty good for outsourcing toilet training...

Rosie

That thought totally crossed my mind when Cora was almost 3.5 and had no desire to potty train. I was *this close* to calling in the experts for an intervention when one day she woke up and potty trained herself.

The childcare centre down the road has been looking pretty good for outsourcing toilet training...

Rosie

I have to say...when DD was in daycare they did an AMAZING job of potty training. They were so organized and built it into the routine (and had charts and sticker) that it was so simple. I always wondered what the big deal was with potty training...then I had DS. Now I know. :tongue_smilie:

Oh... just the thought gives me happy chills! hah.

Modern foreign languages. French and German. I can do the classical ones, but it would be nice to have a tutor help with accents and speaking, since I'm slow to pick up on speaking (but get reading and writing quickly!)

Music. As in, lessons. DD has already expressed interest in learning how to play an instrument and the money just isn't there.

Reading. Seriously... I can teach anything once someone can read. For as long as I can remember, people have come to me for help in various subjects and I can almost always explain it in a way they get it, no matter how they learn. But reading.. ugh. It trips me up! No idea how to teach it, even though DD is definitely ready and wants to learn. I think it's because I never had phonics instruction, plus I have some hearing problems which make it harder to distinguish individual sounds. At least, that's what I'm telling myself!

Foreign Languages--though I wouldn't mind teaching Latin if I had more time. Right now DD kind of does it on her own. :P

Handwriting--ugh. Esp proper pencil grip.

Art

We already outsource sports.

What I would rather do, though, is teach them all myself but have a Mother's Helper to clean up after me and help with the littles. :)

Foreign language (modern)--wouldn't matter to me which one but having a native/fluent speaker teach it would be amazing.

Music

For my dysgraphic child handwriting of any sort would be wonderful to outsource (wish I could afford OT!)

Edited by sbgrace

Hmmm.. honestly? I'd be in charge of a Classical School, especially the curriculum and who they hire :) and I'd send my children... Writing, Math, Science at an upper level...., Music.... Ok, I'd teach History :) Cuz... I really love to learn about History..... But, who'd stop there.... I've like a housekeeper, too!

:)

(Wow, Teaching my son reading is something I think is coming along well. I'd trade teaching to read...for just about anything someone else could teach!)

Cursive, although not as much now that I start with a white board, but it's still not my favorite subject to teach.

I enjoy teaching Spanish, but would love to have a native speaker work with them occasionally.

Someone to teach us all Latin would be nice, but I know enough foreign languages to work through it.

Ha! I was just contemplating the misery of putting my youngest child through the same piano primer I've been tortured with for what feels like ever, four kids now. But I look forward to seeing him swell up with pride the first time he pulls off a song we all know, even though it may be a song none of us ever want to hear again. That's why I homeschool. I would no more outsource music than I would've outsourced the kid's first steps or first words. I mean, some things are hard, but if I believe my kid can and should do it, why wouldn't I also be able to and obligated to do it?

I guess for my two middles I'd hire someone for programming, but I'd want to learn it too, and it wouldn't be surprised if the older and younger kids wanted to do it, also. My kids are best friends. What one does, the others want to be involved in. So I guess if money was no object, we'd all be doing all the lessons with professionals.

What I'd really want to do is travel, but to keep it closer to home, I'd want:

• foreign language tutors in for at least an hour a day, five days a week and year round... maybe with one week a month as a total immersion experience. Not only for study, but also for fun stuff: cooking, reading, playing, field trips etc. in the target language.

• good art and music teachers

• someone to work with them in whatever strikes their fancy: car repair, woodworking, sewing, etc.

I have three boys and two of them want to learn foreign languages that I am completely in the dark about. Danish and German....DD insisted on Spanish and that was probably a good thing because as a paramedic student, she's already used a few phrases just to help comfort non-English speaking family members of patients. I was fairly comfortable with Spanish. I minored in French in college and found the Spanish not-too difficult to keep up with.

But, DANISH and GERMAN! ARGH......so if money were not an option, yes, I'd outsource this. My only other nemesis is Art history and I have an artsy kid so I am going to HAVE to do this. I am not looking forward to it. Dh and I have been watching a few of the Sister Wendi videos online. She's a genius as far as I am concerned! I don't know how she looks at a painting and gets all that out of it. It's a painting, it's pretty, ugly, soothing, violent, but.....HUH??? The funny thing is that I was a music double major so you'd think the subtleties of fine art would not be lost on me. But alas, I am dense. I love Art museums, love them, so I guess I had better start hanging out in these places a lot more in the hopes that some of that "artsy smarts" rubs off on me!

Other than that, Dh and I love teaching the other subjects.

Faith

Edited by FaithManor
punctuation

Music & Spanish. And preschool! I love Montessori, & I think hs'ing starts to get fun (Really Truly Fun) around 4th grade.

Ok, I want someone else to teach letters & numbers & maybe reading & handwriting, but I *can* do those things. Music, I can't. Spanish would just be better from a native speaker, imo. I'm a Spanglish-Pig-Latin-so-the-kids-can't-understand-because-now-they-can-spell-even-if-it-doesn't-show-in-their-writing speaker. :lol:

Rosie

:iagree: My last two have been really rough to potty train. My youngest is the only one left but she's really stubborn. Although, for some reason she's doing great while we're staying at a hotel right now so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Other than that, I would want to outsource foreign languages since I don't know any well and it's not my strong point, art since it's so messy and I'm not particularly creative, and maybe high school level science labs since they can be very hard to do at home (we will not be installing a vented hood to teach Organic Chemistry). DH works in an analytical lab though so we may be able to work something out with that.

Edited to add: Music - I am completely tone deaf, nobody wants to hear me sing and neither DH nor I play any instruments at all. I can read music though.

I have the opposite problem - I would actually be more than willing to pay decent amounts of money to somebody to teach kids certain areas, but I cannot seem to find people qualified enough whom I would trust with that. In Italy and Austria I do know people, but there I have a different problem, the one that they refuse to take money for spending some quality educational time with my kids, so I feel obliged to make sure that doesn't happen too often.

Here I outsource Biochemistry for the science-oriented kid, I offered to outsource her Math too, but she wants to figure it out on her own. For the older kid I'm outsourcing French next year. I wish they were interested in Music and Arts, but they aren't - not enough to want to take any private lessons.

If money didn't matter, I would outsource everything for my oldest. In fact, that's just about what I'm doing for her. She's going to take everything a the cc except government/economics and she'll do those with Thinkwell.

If money didn't matter, I would definitely find philosophy and psychology courses for my middle dd to do so she'd get to have discussions with people who care about it. Thinking about that kind of stuff makes my brain hurt.

If money didn't matter, I'd find a really cool architecture class for my youngest.

We live in a college town.

If I had the $$$, I would pay native speakers to teach languages to my child: Spanish, Chinese, and Arabic....and maybe a major dialect of India. (Duckens is ignorant of Indian dialects).

I see these as being languages/cultures to know and be comfortable in the next half century. For business and for peace.