Menu

How often do/did your children stop up the toilet?

How often do/did your children stop up the toilet?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How often do/did your children stop up the toilet?

• Everytime
    • Once or twice a week
    • Three or four times a week
    • More than five times a week
    • Never

Daily in one bathroom, very very rarely in the others. Where we replaced the toilets in this house, they now work. The one that stops up is a toilet that was here when we purchased the house and is lousy.

It helps to use only that really thin 1-ply Scott TP but doesn't completely solve the problem.

I said never because your options don't really cover us. Maybe 2-3 times a year.

We used to have one child come to our house though, who plugged the toilet all the time. I used to have to remind him to use the downstairs toilet (better water flow) and to flush a couple of times if he needed to use more paper.

All of our commodes are cheap, low flow commodes. We all know that they have a tendency to clog so sometimes mid-visit flushes are necessary to make sure it all goes down smooth. I think they waste more water than save but this is what was in the house when we got here. I would like to install the commodes that have the water waste/solid waste options.

Unplugging/plunging is one thing if it is your own kid, but extra gross for someone else's. LOL

We had this issue with our kids. Mostly, they just used too much toilet paper. So, we switched to the cheapo Scott toilet tissue and haven't had an issue since, lol.

I had the same issue and I don't use scott, but I do use the cheapest store brand I can find. I learned that my youngest goes by length not volume of paper. Their toilet hasn't been stopped up since I switched.

My DS does about once a week, and I don't believe it has to do with too much paper. I think he waits and doesn't go as often as he ought. (TMI, sorry!)

FWIW, he is gluten free as of last year, and the issues have actually diminished somewhat. It used to be every single time.

I have a child who stops it up just about every single time, but this is a child who has extremely large bowel movements and always has. She had psychological holding as a preschooler, so I wonder if she's stretched her colon. My dad has a colon that is 1.5 times the normal diameter, so maybe she takes after him.

Fresh, ripe pears with the skin. Problem solved. Promise. Also this does not mess with the normal process of digestion . Daily pear. I am also a master plumber and grew weary of this task. Dh is unbelievably practical and cannot imagine how this seems to happen only in gentile families. Sorry buddy we are not raised on dried fruit in our pastries, meat dishes and fruit salad. :lol:

Well, around here DH is the main toilet-clogger. But we have the cheap low-flow toilets and that has something to do with it.

I never have...oh goodness, someone give me a euphemism, please! I never have issues with infrequent going that causes stoppages (how's that?) but I can still stop up these toilets if I'm not super careful with the toilet paper. We use Scott and we make a point of flushing twice if there's going to be toilet paper and poop going down.

DS occasionally has problems, but he's getting better about drinking water and that helps. His dad taught him how to plunge, too, so I don't have plumber duty.

My dad and brothers stopped up toilets All.The.Time when I was growing up. Even with massive amounts of whole grain and fruits and veg in our diets. I grew up just assuming it was a guy thing.

When my DD was having a problem with severe constipation we had this problem almost every time she went. We didn't think she was constipated because she went every few days but the huge poops are a big red flag. We only found out because we took her to the Dr for something else.

I voted 3-4 times a week.

And the younger dc love to make "out of order" signs instead of telling us there's a problem. Then if my older dd sees it, she won't say anything because she doesn't want to deal with it.

sigh...never a dull moment over here...

My dh and i just spent 45 minutes on unclogging a stupid toilet. This happens ALL THE TIME! We buy the cheapest TP have done everything we can think of but it still happens constantly.

I HAVE WORN OUT A PLUNGER! The rubber actually wore out around the handle...it makes me crazy.

We had our septic tank pumped today. I wondered if whole rolls of TP were shooting up the hose into the truck.

I'm laughing my knickers off!!! You mean I'm not the only mom who can tell which toilet was used by a certain child just because that is inevitably the one with an Anaconda laying in it, stopping up the situation?

It's not a paper problem. It's the unhealthy, unfathomable size of those leavings.

That be true. Some are more efficient than others.

And I can't believe I responded to this thread.

I'm laughing my knickers off!!! You mean I'm not the only mom who can tell which toilet was used by a certain child just because that is inevitably the one with an Anaconda laying in it, stopping up the situation?

It's not a paper problem. It's the unhealthy, unfathomable size of those leavings.

The things we discuss on this board!! :lol:

I'll go ahead and admit that our toilet is often clogged up. From DD and I... :glare: We both have some digestion issues.

It is actually better since we moved to our new apartment, maybe once a week. Our old apartment it was clogged EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. (Even sometimes with just liquid and TP...) The toilet was pretty much useless.

Mine use way too much tp, but they haven't been wiping themselves unassisted for very long, so I am hoping they'll learn to do it more, um, efficiently, in time.

On a related note, I had a major parenting fail week last week. I kept going off at my children because there were puddles on the floor around the toilet, then we discovered the cistern was leaking! :blushing:

I had to become a TP/Toilet drill seargent with by to DS's. For a while it was almost everyday!!! Too much tp. I told them - loved that they wanted to get clean, but they needed to give it a "courtesy flush" about half way through :) Then finish and flush again.

Now we clog up about once a week.:toetap05:

Guest rubilynne4

hmmm. interesting topic for a hs board, but appropriate as we all have those dc. we live in an older home, so we have all been guilty of stopping the toilet. however my youngest dc (2 yr old) had a habit of dropping her toys, and flushing them. not good. once that was nipped in the bud, the stopped toilets became less of an issue, although it still happens on occasion (old houses).

Guest rubilynne4
Dh fussed at the kids for years about using too much tp. We finally solved the problem. The pipes outside the house had roots growing in them. Seems that will really impede the flow.

we also have that problem.

I haven't read the other comments but I can't wait to see what everyone says. LOL...its funny that life can become so much about what is going in to the kids and what (and when will it???) come out of them. I am truly amazed they can walk upright considering what I have seen pass from their bodies. Now, with that though...anyone have any ideas on how to get them to consistently FLUSH????? :bigear: LMK

I have a child who stops it up just about every single time, but this is a child who has extremely large bowel movements and always has. She had psychological holding as a preschooler, so I wonder if she's stretched her colon. My dad has a colon that is 1.5 times the normal diameter, so maybe she takes after him.

This is our middle child... he stretched his colon out and so he cloges toilet every time he goes. I give him a bit of miralax and that helps.