Menu

Positive thoughts, prayers. I just received very bad news.

It turns out my sister has been diagnosed with Lateral Sclerosis, better known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

I am deeply saddened. My sister and I live thousands and thousands of miles away. The disease is degenerative and the average life span is around 3 years.

Please pray so that she can have a good quality of life and also that I and my dh can find a way to earn enough money to be able to spend as much time with her as possible. My dh's current employment is exlusively on commission and we are not sure how it is going to work out. Both my mom and dad died a few years back and it is so hard when you are so far away!

Thank you so much in advance!

I'm so very sorry. My dad took care of his aunt after she was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease. Though her movements and her speech slowed, she was fiercely independent and kept her sense of humor. I loved to hear her laugh. I hope you and your sister are blessed to laugh with each other too :grouphug:

Thank you all so much for your hugs, thoughts and your prayers, I really need them right now.

My sister is 47, she is the closest family member I have right now. We communicate online, we skype, facebook, IM etc often. Thank God for technology, but it is still no substitute for being right there with her!

Dang It!! Sooooo sorry, my husband's sister has it right now, and it's just not a kind disease. Prayers for you and your family as you deal with this. Get lots of videos of you right now... You have some time at the front to do some family stuff... that you won't be able to later.

I'm seriously SOOOO sorry and wish I could take away the pain of this...

It turns out my sister has been diagnosed with Lateral Sclerosis, better known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

I am deeply saddened. My sister and I live thousands and thousands of miles away. The disease is degenerative and the average life span is around 3 years.

Does she have capable and loving family there? I have known a few people with this, and the last year can be very lonely without a loving bond with someone capable of caring for her. If this were my family, there would be a family conference on just which person, or pair of persons, could keep this sib out of a nursing home and the care of strangers.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I wish you wisdom and courage and luck in this matter.