Menu

s/o If you were going to go back to school today...

Medical school, without a doubt. It was what I planned until I really looked at what it would take. I started my first year with a 2yo - I just couldn't justify spending all of his childhood away from him. Then children came rapidly, so it was DEFINITELY out of the question. I still plan to, some day...

I'm actually looking into this and would like to apply for grad school in a year. I hold a Bachelors Degree in Fine Arts (Painting), and would like to get my Masters in Art Education.

Why? So I can teach more effectively and increase my hours eventually.

Blessings,

Lucinda

...what would you major in and why?

Boy, that's hard. Can I triple major? English (my English Education major was a joke in terms of reading a wide range of literary masterpieces), Classical Studies, History.

I wish I had taken Latin, too. Now I just need to make time to learn it now...

Oh, a friend of mine majored in Ethics--that would be a very interesting subject to study, I think.

I have always enjoyed learning about history. Recently, I have discovered Cicero. Not once in all my schooling did I read anything by him. "On Friendship" would've helped me think through peer pressure and the nature of friendship and may helped me avoid, or at least cope better, with heartaches.

Something in mathematics. I like numbers. When I was younger I thought I would like working with people more and so I went to Nursing school. I didn't finish because I got pregnant. Now I actually miss math, I think I would have really enjoyed upper level math, or genetics.:D

Well, you guys are no help. :glare:

I've been mulling over this question for years...eventually I want to go back, but I'm interested in way too many things and have no idea what kind of career I would like to have after the kids graduate.

And everyone's ideas sound so interesting...how on earth does one choose???

If I were about 5 years younger, I'd go to medical school for general practice then open a cash or barter-only clinic and offer house calls to the elderly, large families, and the house-bound.

If I could go to school tomorrow in whatever I would like, I would get my PhD in forensic anthropology so that I could be on call for disaster relief when identification and/ or investigation are necessary. (I would have gone 3 yrs ago and tried to go to school at the same time as dh, but the degree requires students to be on-call 24/7 to be able to respond to disasters, and that doesn't work very well with homeschooling and a hubby in school. :glare:)

Honestly? I have no idea! I've been going around and around with this thought, well, since High School (I'm 32). It would have to be for a marketable career kwim? I love hands-on, physical type labor/job. Really, I do!! It just makes me feel alive. I've always thrived on those types of jobs where I'm using my hands and muscles. I'm soooo strange, I know! I'm not very tall either...only about 5 feet, maybe 5'1".

Anyhoo...given that description...any suggestions...lol?!

Archaeology *sigh*. Never went to college, but that would have been my focus. I'd be sitting in the dirt in some foreign land cataloging artifacts and be happy as a clam.

Oh this would be my FIRST choice...I always wanted to be an archaeologist...I read all the books I could, my family supported my decision and then life happened...*sigh*

Accounting is second...I actually started a degree in accounting...That didn't end well...Once I pay them back the thousands of dollars I owe, I might give it another try...

Funny, DS3 just asked me that question an hour ago.

I would go to medical school with the goal of becoming a surgeon or an E.R. doc. I would be doing something worthwhile that I know I would find interesting and enjoy, and I could easily find a job and help support my family.

Failing that, I would become a G.P. and move to a place in the U.S. where a doctor was needed.

I'm too old to do that, though.

I have been thinking about this a good bit lately. What will I do when boys leave home?

Lets see RN for 18 years, if I wouldn't of had ds at age 23, I would of probably traveled and been content

but as i am now 40 and really never did the young, free, single, and decisions all about me

so lets see I could of applied to medical school, I love trauma/ER. I guess as so many nurses feel, after so many years. I know the stuff. I do so much that use to be a MD's job. I just don't get the $$$.

But as a soon to be 40 year old, I am ready to change gears. I really have liked teaching in my home school. I have considered a master in nursing education. There is no money to made but I would enjoy the job

But the only thing holding me back is the tuition

I have been approach by numerous people wanting me to home school their kids. I had considered this similar to a one room school house. The laws in my state are pretty lax so it could be done.

I guess I'll figure it all out when I grow up:D

I guess as so many nurses feel, after so many years. I know the stuff. I do so much that use to be a MD's job. I just don't get the $$$.

Nurse practitioner? I don't know about now, but 20 years ago nurse anesthetists made more money than me. In my brother's small town there was one surgeon, an orthopod, who did the appys and gall bladders as well. He would work with the APRN and make the "decisions", but she administered and monitored. Town couldn't support a full time MD to do this. They were a great pair. My brother, who had to scrub in to assist on his patients (no one to assist) said they were very funny once the patient was out. Just a thought.

Well, I am finishing up an English degree right now. I really only chose it because I could never decide on a degree and English fits nicely since all of my classes are things I want to read anyway, you know? I really don't know what to do with it when I am done.

If I follow my heart, I'd get a Master's/Phd in Philosophy. - But, how does one make any money off of that????? Write? Teach?

So, my "job" option is to get a Ma Ed. in Counseling. It is something I would like to do, and I think that I would be good at it - - later, when the kids are older....

I know how you feel...it is so hard to pick something! It is a problem I have always had!

I know how you feel...it is so hard to pick something! It is a problem I have always had!

:iagree:

I have a BA in Biology/Psych and an MA in speech-language pathology - but part of me says that after being an extreme introvert with 5 rowdy kids, I want something where I can be QUIET and ALONE. :lol: Cloistered nun, perhaps? Librarian in a corporate library that nobody ever visits?

More practically, I think I would like to work with the electronic communication devices my patients used as an SLP ...maybe travel around training hospitals, etc on them or fixing them. Either that or helping people change their homes to make them more handicapped or post-stroke friendly. Not sure what kind of degree or training I'd need though.

I want to go to be a pharmacist, right now I am getting ready to finish my pharmacy tech degree. I have to pay something like 1,700.00 back to a school I went to right out of high school so I can get my transcripts. Need those to take the prerequisite for pharmacy school. I'm going to make it someday darn it.