Menu

s/o If you were going to go back to school today...

The pragmatic me would study to become a nurse practitioner. Raising 4 kids has been a clinical experience in itself.

The dreamy side of me would go for a degree in fine art (drawing, painting, theater set design).

Depends on whether or not I'd need to make any money at the end of my studies, or if I could just do what I do for the sheer pleasure of it.

This is something I've been thinking about lately. When my husband is finished with his degree (in two years), I'll go back to school. I started an accounting degree after I left the Marine Corps, but hated every minute of it. We moved around quite a bit after that (3 duty stations in 3 years) and more kids came along, and returning to school became less important to me.

I'd love to major in Art History. In high school I took every art class offered and my electives in college were art related. If I had to pick a marketable option, I think I'd go with Library sciences.

Photography and Digital Graphics. I love art and the computer so it seems like a nice pair. I tried going a few years ago, have the loans to prove it, but with 4 kids and issues with a narcasistic mother I had to stop. Have been thinking of going back after the summer semester. I have a small photography business that involves infants and bellies, which I love, but feel like a degree would make me better. What a great question.

I have a degree in Law Enforcement Administration. I keep contemplating going back for a Masters Forensic Science. But if I were to go back to age 18, would I get a different Bachelors degree? Probably not. I really enjoyed studying Law Enforcement (today it's known as Criminal Justice). However, I WOULD ask more questions and pursue way more job options!

I was supposed to take a class this semester but just couldn't swing it with so much going on in my home.

I have declared my major as history, but I have no intention of completing the degree. I just really like attending college classes. I like the feel of the classroom full of students, the discussions, the lectures, the reading, and the tests. However, I do not want to take the more serious upper level courses needed for the completion of a degree.

I checked into the possibility of auditing a class, but I would have to be a regularly enrolled student before I could add an audit class.

I tried an Early Education program but the educational courses were not anything like I had imagined. We spent alot of time learning to be politically correct and how to deal with less than optimal students.

In college I was also in forensic anthropology. I wanted to be a Coroner. I also took a lot of English/writing courses.

Now, though I still think it would be really cool to be a coroner, I'd be more inclined to do one of the following:

Pediatrician

Culinary school

Teacher

(how's that for diversity??)

However, if I had my wish, I'd just adopt several more children and start over raising them!! If money weren't an issue, and ds didn't have a drug arrest from 20+ years ago on his record, we probably would've done this already!

I've been mulling this over recently. I want to do something interesting, but that would also enable me to get a job. I would love to do forensic anthropology, or take a track that would lead me to Quantico's profiler unit, but going parttime, and starting at 44, I'd be ready to retire before I started a job!

So, on a more realistic level, the local community college has an assoc. in Forensic Science. They also offer a BS in Criminal Justice. I've mulled those over, or just getting a BS in Biology. I'd really like to work crime scenes (I know it's not like on TV!), or with the coroner, maybe as a morgue tech? I also don't live in a real high crime city, so that might make jobs a little difficult. That's a good thing, though. Right?!

I majored in Political Science (I thought I was going to go to law school). I ended up working as an insurance adjuster, and then in marketing.

I think I would study Library Sciences (I think it's a Masters degree, though, isn't it?). But perhaps I would study computer science, or perhaps horticulture or nutrition. Oh, I don't know! But I KNOW it wouldn't be PoliSci again...although I'm very thankful for the education I did receive.

So, on a more realistic level, the local community college has an assoc. in Forensic Science. They also offer a BS in Criminal Justice. I've mulled those over, or just getting a BS in Biology. I'd really like to work crime scenes (I know it's not like on TV!), or with the coroner, maybe as a morgue tech? I also don't live in a real high crime city, so that might make jobs a little difficult. That's a good thing, though. Right?!

A few years ago, I applied for and was offered a morgue tech job ---- $10/hr:confused::confused::confused: AND you had to be on call almost all of the time. However, the only requirement was a HS diploma - it was all on the job training. Super interesting job, but I think those people deserve a better salary!

Since 90% of my family is - and has traditionally been - in Law or Economy, naturally I felt inclined to everything else :D, and ended up in Italianistics and Comparative Literature. They always thought it was an "easy way out" and that with the capacities I had I should have studied something else.

Today, while I still love my fields, I see they somewhat had a point there. If I were going back to school today, I would probably go straight to Law (and then probably some kind of study abroad of international law, which I always found interesting), studying at the same time what I actually majored in. Back then I appreciated my free time too much and did not even want to discuss the option of parallel study of more majors (and I easily could have, since I had excellent grades), but if I could go back, I would definitely study Law in addition to what I actually studied.