Menu

Am I the only one who isn't thrilled with Playmobil??

Dd got the Forest Lodge, because she loves animals & setting things up.

I had no idea everything was sooooo tiny!!! I mean, I knew they were small, but it's almost too difficult for her to play with everything.

Are all of the Playmobil sets this way? If so, we are not getting anymore.

What a bummer.

YES - you are the only one! Just kidding. My 8 year old dd can assemble it now on her own. She adores the little parts and insists that everything goes exactly the right way - that is why she does it herself now. She got the forest lodge last year - she play with it all the time! If your kiddo is too little, put it away for later.

Merry Christmas!

We love Playmobil. My daughter got the Forest Lodge when she had just turned 4, and had no trouble with it. My son was just 2 at the time, and he loved all the little animals and such.

Some Playmobil sets have more small pieces than others, but yes, small pieces are definitely part of the playmobil "thing." I had lots of Playmobil as a kid in the late 1970's, and I remember loving all the little pieces.

I think it might be an age/stage thing. Is this for your 7 yr old. My 10 yr old got playmobil this year and love it. Even my 13 year old got some and really enjoy it. But, they did not like it as much when they were younger. I think it was because of all the little pieces that they did not enjoy it a few years back.

Dd got the Forest Lodge, because she loves animals & setting things up.

I had no idea everything was sooooo tiny!!! I mean, I knew they were small, but it's almost too difficult for her to play with everything.

Are all of the Playmobil sets this way? If so, we are not getting anymore.

What a bummer.

I am so sorry that you are disappointed. :grouphug:

I believe there are playmobil sets for toddlers with larger pieces (but not as elaborate)...in case that helps.

Yes, there are. We just figured that out today as all previous Playmobil gifts had been of that variety. New one was the Yacht, which definitely is on a different scale. BUT, it has a young son which we were missing in the other configurations. My kids call it "Family" and it was kind of lousy not having the whole family represented! :)

My children have zero interest in Playmobil. The only one that even remotely tempts my oldest is the Egyptian Pyramid because she is a history buff but if I purchased them, they would not be touched and Playmobil is too expensive for that. I do also loathe toys with small pieces. Personally, I hate legos for that very reason but I don't seem to be able to escape those.

Well, we have a lot of legos, little people stuff, Dora dollhouse accessories, etc... and dd loves to set everything up & play with it. She makes "towns" with the legos and uses the Dora furniture and lots of other things with it. I thought Playmobil would be perfect. Maybe it will be better when she's older. Or maybe it's just me.

All those little pieces do get underfoot, but my kids love, love, love their Playmobil. Endless hours of play. So our collection keeps growing...

I do think they tend to like it even more as they get older.

I've never bought my kids any of the buildings. I just buy people, animals and vehicles - keeps the play much more open-ended. And where would I put the buildings??

I LOVE Playmobil, but for a different reason. My girls have NEVER been interested in anything like them. They do not like legos and barely play with the little people. We have the nativity set and they don't play with it too often. I wish they would play with them. I would LOVE to have a train table with a little village set up on it.

But the reason I love them is that we bought 2 sets several years ago, with gift certificates we got for purchasing some furniture. We never opened them, just thought we'd wait until the girls got a little older. This past month I sold them on Ebay for well over their retail price. Apparently, they were discontinued. :D Not bad considering we didn't pay anything for them.

My kiddos got the lodge today, too!:) Littlest DS got a 1-2-3 set which has big chunky pieces and is THE ONLY Playmobil I've ever seen that's not full of tiny pieces! The kids LOVE the tiny things!

We keep ours in a Rubbermaid container. This will be our first bigger thing that won't fit in the box, but all the smaller stuff will get all mixed together (as a parent, this makes me slightly crazy, but what kid doesn't want to mix and match anyway???).

Carmen:

What is Heroscape? My dc love acting & stuff.

Thanks!

Oh, not acting... it is a game that has cards that determine the strengths of your characters and you build armies and role dice. DS likes to just play with the figures, tiles and landscaping components. They have the 4th Massachusetts line, Roman Archers, Ninjas, Valkyrie, Marvel Superheroes, Samauri, Vikings, just about anything you can imagine. We will not buy or play with others who use figures like vampyres and zombies, but those are available too. We have 4 cases full of figures even without that stuff.

The first few things that come up in a search are exactly what I am talking about.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

For years I did not get the popularity of Playmobil. It is incredibly expensive considering what little you actually get in each box. However, a couple years ago ds got a Playmobil castle and a dinosaur set for his birthday and has played with Playmobil on almost a daily basis since then. He got one or two other dino sets last Christmas I believe it was and another for his birthday this year (some kind of Hovercraft thing and an alligator and accessories) and they get sooooo much playtime that I can't complain at all about the cost.

If little pieces drive you nuts then Playmobil sets are definitely not going to be a good fit, but my ds loves all the little pieces (I think that is one of the big things that appeal to him about Playmobil) and is very good about keeping track of things. His Playmobil stuff is in one of those clear stacking drawer units. Right now it takes up two drawers and the castles (Santa got him a second castle - the carry-along one - for Christmas) sit on top of the shelf or on his desk. This Christmas he also got the little knight carry-case set so now he can use that to organize all the little knight pieces in different compartments.

I also just ordered the amphibian capture set, the Christmas Advent calendar set, and some kind of 4x4 thing online at chapters.ca because they were on sale and I'm going to put them away for his birthday or for next Christmas.

I think they are extremely expensive for what you get in the box, but the play value is very high for my son so I'll keep buying Playmobil stuff. I would never spend that much money on Playmobil though if he didn't play with it sooooooo much.

We got two sets for Christmas here (the Camper and Horse farm) and my girls love them! The little pieces are kind of what makes the set for Sophia. She loves that there are plates and forks and stuff in the camper like we really have when we got camping. We will be buying more Playmobil in the future.

No, you are not the only one. We had one of the Playmobil pirate ships and an Imaginext pirate ship. The Imaginext ship was far sturdier, the little guys came with it weren't these flat-faced, bland, generic guys. He broke the Playmobil ship in no time. The Imaginext ship is still in working order, and he plays with it all the time. He plays with his Imaginext toys almost every day, and he's extremely rough on his toys. Very, very few have ever broken.

Now all that being said, he will be buying the Playmobil pyramid after Christmas because he LOVES ancient Egypt and Imaginext doesn't make a set like that -- yet. They'll probably come out with one after we buy it, just like they did with the pirate ship :glare:

Edited to add: If she is interested in animals, you may want to check out Calico Critters. My DD got one of the doll houses, furniture, and a set of animals for her 4th b-day, and she has played with them every day since. Her collection is huge now! There are a lot of teeny-tiny pieces if you buy the furniture sets (especially the kitchen set), but the pieces aren't quite as small as the Playmobil things. The animal sets (Mom, Dad, 2 kids) run about $20. The play-value has been so worth it! Like I said -- a year and a half later and she still plays with them daily.

Edited by jujsky

I won't buy my kids Playmobil. I like the history sets, but I'd rather customize Lego than buy another set of tiny plastic things to confuse with the set of tiny plastic things we already have.

:iagree: That, and my ds has no interest in them. In fact, I asked him and he's never heard of it.

The forest cabin has been one of my dd's fav toys. She can play with that set up for hours. *Hours* . The pieces are tiny, but offer amazing imaginative opportunities for kids who are into that sort of toy, and my kids are/were all into that sort of toy. DD got the Egyptian Tomb today (with a Roman family :) ) from us, set it up right away, & played with it all morning (and left a new DSL game in the dust) until we had to leave for my MILs.

I am sure there are lots of people who don't like Playmobil! People like what they like. I gave all the little nieces and nephews Playmobil and their parents seemed pleased that it was Playmobil, so I don't actually know anyone who doesn't like, but I am sure they exist. :D My MILs dinning area was a hot bed of kids playing w/Playmobil.

Edited by LibraryLover

DS3 got some of the Playmobil Knights pieces for Christmas. He and DD5 spent most of the day playing with them and had a blast. I just knew a cannonball would end up in my coffee! I did put the smaller detail pieces in a plastic box, along with much of the assorted weaponry.

This is the first Christmas with no new Playmobil except some figures for stocking stuffers.

This year, it was all about Legos. Our boys have played with Playmobil since 2003.

Now we have: castle, pirate, viking, Egyptian, Roman, city, forest, vacation, and more. It is sad to see it "going out of style."

Photo is of Nathan's first birthday with Playmobil. I still remember his first set was found in a thrift store -- a birthday party. We then bought a clearance kitchen set (meant to be used with the house) which he loved.

post-1122-13535083243498_thumb.jpg

post-1122-13535083243498_thumb.jpg

Playmobil fans here!

I even own a set, all for me! It's the nativity set. I play with it all December long. The kids are told (very strictly) that they can only play with my set on the table. They can't mix their Playmobil with mine.

They seem fascinated that Mommy has her own set to play with. :D When I moved some of the pieces around in early December they said, "Hey! You moved the pieces we set up!" And I said, "Well, it is MY set after all." And they completely backed down and nodded as if thinking, "Oh! Of course, she's right. It is her set."

Nope, not the only one....we were gifted a set a couple years ago, kids played with it quite a bit that first day (honeymoon period, lol) and after that it basically just sat around occasionally being used mostly when they were bored with whatever else was out......so I packed it up, stuck it in the closet and I think it's still in there somewhere, lol. I should probably pull it and out and sell it to all you fans!

We have a number of Playmobils in the basement. I got them because I had thought of them as "good" toys -- non-violent, etc. My dc lost interest in them pretty fast -- and I realized that I wanted them to have more open-ended toys.

Plus -- the pieces!!! The rule is that the Playmobils are used only on a big plat table, but pieces always ended up on the floor. Maybe if you have a bare floor it would be OK, but, IMO, small pieces & oriental/patterned rugs do not go together well. Crawling around on the floor and running my hands over every square inch of carpet and under every piece of furniture before vacuuming gets old fast! Also figuring out which Playmobil the piece came from, or whether it was a Lego or K'nex piece, was simply too taxing for my small brain....

So, you are not alone!!!!

(I do think the instruction nooks are exceptionally clear, though.)