Menu

When you were in school, were group projects beneficial?

DD and DS1 now go to a PS at which the kids are put into groups for projects or even simply to conjugate verbs (Spanish) together.

I've had a couple of decades of education and so has DH. We never, not even once, benefited from a group project. We did all the work because we had to in order to get an "A".

My kids' experiences have been the same -- if they don't do all the work, they will get saddled with the group's low grade.

IRL, no job I have ever had required in teamwork similar to that allegedly being taught by having groups in school.

How about you? Did you find group projects to be a positive experience when you were in school? Did the experience teach you anything useful?

RC

Yes, there is some benefit to group projects when done sparingly. Last year, my ds's first yr in school, he did 2 group projects that I know of. Done sparingly, they can be helpful to learn how to work with others to get a task done (or not done). You may learn your own strengths and weaknesses when in a group (or not); it depends on the project, the expectations and the people in the group.

my grad studies, but I also have anecdotal experience.

Short answer: beneficial to some students, not to others ~~ beneficial in some situations, not in others

I LOVED group projects. Yes, I did a lot of the work, but that didn't bother me. I liked taking it on. It is my personality to need social interactions to talk myself through new info.

I can see where other students dislike/hate it.

I do think it's beneficial to be exposed to these experiences periodically. Some jobs do require group work. Usually, however, each person has a specific specialty/task that he contributes with well-defined responsibilities. KWIM?

As a teacher, I think it works better when the teacher assigns the specific tasks rather than allowing the students to select or just "work together." Otherwise, yes, some students will slide while the others do the work.

my humble professional opinion

No, I hated them. I always ended up with people that wouldn't contribute, and because I cared about my grade and my work, I ended up doing all of the work.

I think they're supposed to teach the skill of working together (for the work force someday), but it doesn't teach the slackers that they need to pull their weight or they'll get fired. Even in the real world, a person has real power to make his own decisions; in school, children are powerless.

No, I hated them. I always ended up with people that wouldn't contribute, and because I cared about my grade and my work, I ended up doing all of the work.

I think they're supposed to teach the skill of working together (for the work force someday), but it doesn't teach the slackers that they need to pull their weight or they'll get fired. Even in the real world, a person has real power to make his own decisions; in school, children are powerless.

:iagree:

DD and DS1 now go to a PS at which the kids are put into groups for projects or even simply to conjugate verbs (Spanish) together.

I've had a couple of decades of education and so has DH. We never, not even once, benefited from a group project. We did all the work because we had to in order to get an "A".

My kids' experiences have been the same -- if they don't do all the work, they will get saddled with the group's low grade.

IRL, no job I have ever had required in teamwork similar to that allegedly being taught by having groups in school.

How about you? Did you find group projects to be a positive experience when you were in school? Did the experience teach you anything useful?

RC

:iagree: word for word! In our co-op, we want to give the kids a chance to do group projects, but it will be totally different. They will work together to figure things out or achieve a certain goal, but there are no grades involved. IMHO, grades change the whole group-work dynamics.

I was also one of the kids who did all the work in group projects so I didn't get a bad grade. I think the many labs in science are one of the reasons I don't like that subject. I came to absolutely loath labs. Even in college physics when I had good lab partners who were intelligent and cared about their grades, I still hated labs.

Another reason I probably hated labs, though, is that I am more of a "book learner". Doing a lab does nothing to help me learn.

I liked them in college labs, but in middle and high school, NO! It wasn't that I felt like I had to do all of the work for a good grade, but there was always one person who thought his/her ideas were better and therefore...they did all of the work.

:iagree: I loved college labs. But, it would have been very apparent if only one person was doing all of the work. There was also a different maturity level. I always had great lab partners.

I only remember 1 group activity that was successful and great in school. In 7th grade, we had a stock market activity-while studying the great depression. The teacher had us all buy and sell stocks and prices went up and down. Each day, she would change the prices on dozens of stocks. I am amazed when I think of all of the work she must have put into it. It was great fun and really taught us about the stock market crash(when everyone tried to sell at once)

Besides that 1 activity, I cannot remember any other useful group activities in school.

My son just had one in his sociology class. Each of the three in the group was responsible for presenting a certain portion of a chapter to the class. One of the three never showed up on the presentation day. Aaron was more stressed about whether the other two were going to do their part than he was about his own part.

The guy who didn't show up skips class a lot. He had, at least, forwarded his notes to the other guy (for a power point presentation), so Aaron read them.

Thankfully, the teacher gave the two of them A's (but not the other guy).

I always hated them, and I'm so lousy at working with others (I bet no one here could ever guess that) that one professor actually gave students extra credit for being my partner.

What has always been very helpful, though is choosing other motivated students to go to the library with and discuss questions and problems. I learn so much more that way than when I work by myself, so I can see where educators would want that same benefit for low-achieving students.

Miss Good is taking a Worldview class. She really wants to discuss the ideas she is reading about. The teacher will only call on her one or two times each class period because he needs to give equal time to the students with "confidence problems" (or who really have not even read the material).

I told her that I wish she could go to the library and study with a boy in her class who also always does the work and wants to discuss it. She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Why would he want to work with me when he already knows all of the answers?"

Lets see, tall model's body, blond hair down to her bottom, smart, nice....well If she doesn't know, I sure wasn't going to tell her!

RC

Well, I never liked them, but they probably were somewhat beneficial at times. There are interpersonal skills that you develop when working with others, that you can't really develop on your own. I don't think the grading is usually fair *at all,* because normally one or two people are doing all the work for everyone, and if someone is assigned a portion and doesn't do it well, then everyone suffers... so I don't like that part of it at all. But overall, I do think that occasional group projects do teach some valuable things about working with people.

I always hated them, and I'm so lousy at working with others (I bet no one here could ever guess that) that one professor actually gave students extra credit for being my partner.

What has always been very helpful, though is choosing other motivated students to go to the library with and discuss questions and problems. I learn so much more that way than when I work by myself, so I can see where educators would want that same benefit for low-achieving students.

Miss Good is taking a Worldview class. She really wants to discuss the ideas she is reading about. The teacher will only call on her one or two times each class period because he needs to give equal time to the students with "confidence problems" (or who really have not even read the material).

I told her that I wish she could go to the library and study with a boy in her class who also always does the work and wants to discuss it. She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Why would he want to work with me when he already knows all of the answers?"

Lets see, tall model's body, blond hair down to her bottom, smart, nice....well If she doesn't know, I sure wasn't going to tell her!

:lol: yeah! I loved discussing things in class or out. That was very benificial.

I would agreee with PP, labs are probably the one exception and as others have noted - usually the grade isn't shared.

I find zero benefit to group projects. HATE them. At first in school I'd do all the work to get an better grade. Then I decided it was stupid and I wasn't going to perpetuate the system by contributing to it and simply refused to do any group projects. Yeah hurt my grade, but I didn't care because I thought the whole grading system was stupid anyways. I knew the material and usually aced the tests and individual stuff if I felt inclined to do it. But I really hated school in general by 6th grade. Bored out of my mind. Couldn't stand the social environment.

Go figure that we ended up home schooling huh?

When I told Dh that story, he said, "The poor nerdy kid will probably end up tripping the library alarm because he's so distracted by actually being out somewhere with a girl who looks like Dd."

Until he said that, I had completely forgotten that Dh set off the alarm the first time we studied together in college!

When I told Dh that story, he said, "The poor nerdy kid will probably end up tripping the library alarm because he's so distracted by actually being out somewhere with a girl who looks like Dd."

Until he said that, I had completely forgotten that Dh set off the alarm the first time we studied together in college!

:laugh:

was my senior year when all of us still cared about our grade. It was an advanced level class and we were forming "countries". (It was a government class.) My country was a group of my friends and we were all in the top 1/3 of the class so we all worked on it. Of course, the teacher was a awful. We got away with everything in his class. I'm glad we had so many of the top kids in the class or the whole class would have been chaos, not just the country projects.

Conjugating verbs? Give me a break, each child should do that on their own!

Rarely did we do things in groups from elementary to high school (in a foreign country), but in college (US) this happened often. At the PR firm I worked at for two years we did a few group projects as well, and I think this is the reason it's so stressed in typical schools here -- most likely you'll be working with people, in a group setting, at some point in your life.

They were a complete waste of my time and I hated them. I too ended up doing all the work because I wanted my "A" and that didn't bother me becuse I liked school, it bothered me that other people would benefit from my work when they did very little or nothing. I complained to one teacher when he said he would be averageing the test grades of the individuals in each group to determine our final grade. My group was made up of C and D students and I didn't want my grade brought down. The teacher told me he wasn't really going to average the grades but he was just trying to motivate some of the students. Now why would a D student paired with an A student work harder? Seems to me they would work less knowing the A students work would automatically pull their grade up.

NO ! I hated group projects as done in schools, including at college, because I had to do all the work to get an A.

In a real group situation in the working world, each member of the group is subject to supervision and evaluation of his/her part of the group's project. That's for adults. Teachers let students figure everything out for themselves and then the teacher offers no supervision/evaluation for the individual members.

The things that do build skills for adult group work are team things: sports, Odyssey of the Mind competitions, etc.

We did all the work because we had to in order to get an "A".

I agree that school group projects are useless. They make it easier on the teacher. I think that's why they're so popular in schools.

I have to laugh at the notion of conjugating verbs being a group project. It's just like the idea of reading being a group skill, which I actually read a teacher propounding in a newspaper article some years back. Baloney! Entirely inappropriate to the content. :001_huh:

I did have one group project in a college class -- for an upper-level course in which all the deadwood had already been weeded out. Our group operated like a real life job team and it was a good experience.

As for real life job experience -- I and my dh both worked/work in technical fields, with teams of 4-12 people on a project. Each person is assigned a concerete part of the project, with individual deadlines & specifications. The plan and its progress are evaluated periodically and adjusted as necessary.

This is a far cry from the public school group project where kids are just sat down at a round table and told to get it done. Most kids can't organize themselves out of a paper bag, so the motivated kids have to do all the work just to avoid getting dragged down into the mire.

Yah, can you tell ... I scorn public school group projects and the notion that such projects teach kids anything positive and productive.

Karen

I despised group projects in school. One person always ended up doing most of the work.

In my college speech class, my partner didn't even show up for class on the day of the speech. I pulled his weight because I wanted the A. I don't know what grade he got out of the class, but it must have been fair because he played in the football game on Saturday. :glare:

Having said that, I did enjoy getting together with classmates to collaborate over our studies. Chemistry was much more enjoyable when we worked our problems together.

In lower grades I would say no. In higher, I do think they can be beneficial...it allows you to see where your strengths and weaknesses are: do you tend to be the leader, the follower, the researcher, the number cruncher, etc. I prefer to work alone, but was forced, especially in MBA school, to work with groups all of the time, and it did prepare me for the "real world" so to speak, since my career was all about teamwork. There's always some that never carry their weight :glare:, but welcome to the real world, I think the sooner my kids learn that the better.

The only time I found a group project beneficial - and it was only loosely a "group" project - was in microelectronics lab in college. We had to work in 2-person groups and turn in a joint lab report. My focus was power and I hated microelec. I had saved this class for my last quarter before graduation. I found a younger student who was going to take micro electives and who loved the stuff (in other words, a "whiz kid") and struck a deal - you do the lab part, I'll watch; I'll take it home and do the write up and "book work". We wer both overjoyed with the arrangement and got straight A's. I don't even think we missed a point on a lab the entire term.

I prefer to work alone, but was forced, especially in MBA school, to work with groups all of the time, and it did prepare me for the "real world" so to speak, since my career was all about teamwork. There's always some that never carry their weight :glare:, but welcome to the real world, I think the sooner my kids learn that the better.

Precisely. My husband is a systems engineer for a utility where no one works in isolation. Teamwork is what it is all about.

Further, having taught at an engineering university, I would also note that engineering students who succeed usually do so in teams. Early in the game good students form study groups. They pick each others brains and sometimes pull each other along in classes where there are challenges.

That said, my son has had some group projects at the CC where he is dually enrolled. His lab work in science classes is performed in a group of three. Granted, the weaker student in his current lab group is benefiting greatly from the two boys who are stronger in chemistry, but so be it. Many of their experiments seem to require several sets of hands so it is not as though anyone does not pull their weight. My son was very frustrated though in a previous English class where the instructor assigned the students to groups. The students had to peer review each others papers. Those in his first group could not write coherent comments let alone provide any advice worth following. It was a total waste of time from his perspective. In his current English class, my son has chosen a partner with whom to work. On Tuesday they had to debate each other. That worked because they chose the topic and each contributed research.

So... the bottom line is that group projects can work. They require proper implementation and direction though.

Jane

Large art projects like murals or papier mache were fun in younger years. Theatrical productions or similar in junior high/hs.

Agree with others that high school and college labs in pairs or small groups were good. Otherwise, especially writing-related, were a waste of time.

And, yes, I always made sure I did my fair share (or more) to make sure my grades stayed good.

No, I never found group projects beneficial. I always ended up doing all or most of the work for the group, because I wanted a good grade, and usually got grouped with other less ambitious students. So one or two of us did all the work for the entire group.

I am speaking of grade school and high school courses. I don't recall any of my college courses having group projects.

It really depends on which group and what project.

In my opinion, most high school level group projects are the teacher's way of getting some high grades into poor students averages so that they can get the grade to passing. The teachers know that the A student is going to do all the work and the others are along for the free good grade.

Group projects are more effective when you have kids with similar interests -Odyssey of the Mind, Scout Patrols, Drama Club, etc.

:iagree:with the above poster. I think they only work when the groups are based on who wants to be there. That is why my lab partners in Chemistry and Physics were fine but my lab partners in Bio were not. At that time, only brainy kids took chemistry and physics so you didn't do the class if you were a loser. On the other hand, bio was taken by everyone and we had big groups. I did the work, the others giggled, chatted, etc. One boy in my group was okay. He wasn't smart but was at least helpful. Not the other three dopes in my group. I did have a good partnership with my debate partner too. That was a voluntary activity.

I didn't have better luck in college either since I wasn't a science major and we had mandatory science. It wasn't that they were such losers, but they were humanity majors:001_smile:. And then in writing, I had non-writers in my group. I didn't like giving others a helpful critique and receive "that's good" in return. I also had that happen in high school and recently, my dd had it happen in her summer fine arts camp.

I never had a job that required teamwork and I find committees where no one is the head to be very tiresome. If no one steps up to lead, I do.

College labs with only 2 people are the only ones that ever worked out for me.

Either I was grouped with slackers or else I was grouped with a few people that actually wouldn't let other people help. Both were annoying. I do agree that teachers need to assign tasks to those in the group. how else does one learn to work in a group...

Yes, I liked them, BUT I was in a high school that tracked and I was only placed with other high-achieving students who were applying to top tier colleges and so had the motivation to maintain their grades. I hated them in middle school before we were tracked.

As for using them IRL, dh is part of a team responsible for a group of clients and yes, they do have to work together as a group constantly to manage issues. He does complain all the time about having to work as a group and cover other people's clients, but there are definitely jobs where group work is huge part of the profession. Of course, he and his co-workers all have individual performance reviews, so there is always individual accountability as well.

I despised group projects in school. Teamwork experience can be positive, but I think you need a teacher to really prep the students on how to work as a team, how to analyze each other's strengths, and how to fairly divvy up the responsibilities. The group projects I recall from school were just tossed at us and everyone in the group ended up with the same grade. Of course, the slackers did very little, and those of us concerned about grades frantically did anything that was needed to get the project done. I don't think any of my school group project experiences were very edifying, yet I manage to work as part of a team daily at my job. The difference is the expectations there are set out, and if someone doesn't do his or her part, they might be out of a job.

We did all the work because we had to in order to get an "A".

RC

Um, my answer would read somewhat the same, but its like this: They did all the work because they had to in order for me to get an A.

Just being honest.:blushing:

Does that answer your question?

I hated group projects in school as well. I always found that 1-2 of the "smart ones" were saddled with all of the work because they were the only ones who truly cared about getting a good grade. As I was the "A+" student in our class, teachers would purposefully place me with a consistently low grade student thinking that they would suddenly want to become grand achievers or something or that I would "rub off" on them. I ended up doing many reports alone at the last minute during high school group projects because those in my group could have cared less! Where's their research? Where's their effort? Where's their half of the project? "Oh I forgot / didn't do it / didn't want to." I had goals to achieve and I wasn't about to let someone else bring my grades down. It drove me nuts. :glare:

On a lighter note I ended up LOVING group projects in College and in the business world because people actually cared to do their part AND did a great job too. :grouphug:

I think some things are more fun when done in groups, like raking leaves or sewing a quilt, or something like that.

Yeah! Cooking and cleaning up in Guides was fun, as a group effort. Of course meals are better motivators than grades. Group projects at school were a waste of time. Even if you remarkably managed to get a good group where people pulled their weight, there were too many groups in the room and no one can work properly with that racket.

Rosie