Menu

I am so depressed... (Got very long)

bettyandbob

I had an interview Friday and you responded to my request and I felt good going in.

But I guess I didn't do well. I found out on Saturday that at least one person had been set up with a second interview. It doesn't help that this person was sort of gloating. I just didn't respond to the gloating person, but I was annoyed. That person is always talking about how she doesn't need a job and that her dh thinks her working takes too much time, etc. So, it didn't help to have her try to approach and ask if I'd gotten a second interview. I just ignored her like I didn't hear, I was actually focused on another task so that wasn't hard. This place operates, likely they arranged all call backs immediately after first round interviews, which ended at 1 on Friday.

So, I feel like I failed. I had people who spent a lot of time helping me prep. I spent a lot of time reviewing. It's like I wasted all that effort.

I am so tired. I've been applying for jobs that are a step or do up from where I am for a year and a half. I think I've applied for 8 positions. Every time I find a local opening I apply. So I usually have a job application open. It's so frustrating. At first I was positive. I could see my applications got further in the process each time.

I'm feeling like such a loser now.

And I have a short phone interview for another job this morning. This is a job that pays more. But certain things about it make it undesirable. But if you can stick it out that organization is slated for a big expansion in two years.

Another wrinkle is I know two other people (both work friends) who are getting phone interviews tomorrow. The place is emailing questions 15 minutes before the interview. One of my work friends asked me to send her the questions after I'm done ugh. I get that she's nervous and needs this job even more desperately than me. She has not been applying to as many jobs as I -- there are less jobs she's qualified for. I put together my own list of questions to help me prepare last night. I sent that to her. Since I made those questions up or got them from Google I think that's ok. I am not going to send the specific questions that I get today.

Anyway, I'm depressed. I want to give up. I don't want to go through with today's phone call. I just want to skip work (after phone call) and stay in bed. I don't want to go to work ever again right now.

I hate these interviews. I hate rewriting my a job description to match each new job. I hate that I check websites almost daily for new postings.

Before Friday, my boss told me that another position at this level will open soon within the same organization. I feel like why bother applying. If I can't get a second interview on this one what's the point.

So I'm sad and frustrated and beaten.

I will pull myself together to talk on the phone in a couple hours.

Edited by Diana P.

Thanks. 

It doesn't help that the vast majority of people I'm interviewing with are younger. My boss is younger. Bleah. I was making a joke out of it saying applying for jobs was my hobby, but I think I can't laugh anymore. 

I took a shower, got my stuff ready to get to work after the phone call. Now, I'm looking through my notes and gathering my thoughts for the interview. Here I go again. 

• Like 6

I'm sorry.  I keep hearing that job opportunities are getting better and easier, but almost every person I know of who has job searched in the past two years has had a really, really difficult time of it.  Great candidates are barely given a glance sometimes.  It is really baffling!

I hope the perfect job is right around the corner for you!

I think it's unusual you know so many people interviewing for the same jobs as you?  I'm sure that is especially discouraging if others are having success?

Have you considered brushing up your interview skills?  You could just google and see what you find.  There are a bunch of videos out on you tubes with tricks of the trade.

• Like 3

Best wishes for today and hugs for your last experience.  :grouphug:

I hope when you look back on things you end up glad that some things fell through because you ended up with the perfect job.  It may or may not happen, but that's my hope.

In the meantime, vent away.  You're experience is certainly vent-worthy.

• Like 2

Just a note of encouragement......I applied for LOTS of jobs before starting to get interviews after 10 years of not working.  And even then, I interviewed at several places before being offered a position.

Don't let one "rejection" discourage you.  

Sometimes I am amazed at who DOES get hired when I didn't get the job. I think sometimes they are looking for something specific I can't provide (a male, someone who speaks a certain language, someone who is the ethnicity of the community, etc....) and I can't really make myself into something else, so.......

Hoping you find something else even better!

• Like 3

:grouphug:  Hang in there. The job search is SO demoralizing. I watched my husband job search for about a year and a half (he had job searched casually much longer, but that's about how long he took it seriously). But he finally got a job he loves and no longer comes home from work feeling defeated and hopeless. Eventually something will happen for you.

• Like 1

It's a numbers game; keep applying and keep interviewing and you will get a job.  Chin up, you learn something from every job interview, and good luck with your next one!

I had an interview Friday and you responded to my request and I felt good going in.

But I guess I didn't do well. I found out on Saturday that at least one person had been set up with a second interview. It doesn't help that this person was sort of gloating. I just didn't respond to the gloating person, but I was annoyed. That person is always talking about how she doesn't need a job and that her dh thinks her working takes too much time, etc. So, it didn't help to have her try to approach and ask if I'd gotten a second interview. I just ignored her like I didn't hear, I was actually focused on another task so that wasn't hard. This place operates, likely they arranged all call backs immediately after first round interviews, which ended at 1 on Friday.

So, I feel like I failed. I had people who spent a lot of time helping me prep. I spent a lot of time reviewing. It's like I wasted all that effort.

I am so tired. I've been applying for jobs that are a step or do up from where I am for a year and a half. I think I've applied for 8 positions. Every time I find a local opening I apply. So I usually have a job application open. It's so frustrating. At first I was positive. I could see my applications got further in the process each time.

I'm feeling like such a loser now.

And I have a short phone interview for another job this morning. This is a job that pays more. But certain things about it make it undesirable. But if you can stick it out that organization is slated for a big expansion in two years.

Another wrinkle is I know two other people (both work friends) who are getting phone interviews tomorrow. The place is emailing questions 15 minutes before the interview. One of my work friends asked me to send her the questions after I'm done ugh. I get that she's nervous and needs this job even more desperately than me. She has not been applying to as many jobs as I -- there are less jobs she's qualified for. I put together my own list of questions to help me prepare last night. I sent that to her. Since I made those questions up or got them from Google I think that's ok. I am not going to send the specific questions that I get today.

Anyway, I'm depressed. I want to give up. I don't want to go through with today's phone call. I just want to skip work (after phone call) and stay in bed. I don't want to go to work ever again right now.

I hate these interviews. I hate rewriting my a job description to match each new job. I hate that I check websites almost daily for new postings.

Before Friday, my boss told me that another position at this level will open soon within the same organization. I feel like why bother applying. If I can't get a second interview on this one what's the point.

So I'm sad and frustrated and beaten.

I will pull myself together to talk on the phone in a couple hours.

• Like 1

I know it is frustrating. I have dipped my toe into getting back in the workforce and I was quite depressed that I didn't get called back for a 2nd interview to be the front desk person at the y who checks your ID.

I do remember from my corporate days that job hunting is frustrating and challenges one's ideas about themselves. Keep applying and the right job will eventually show up. Chin up and virtual hug.

It took both my daughter and son in law a long time with lots of applications and for my son in law, lots of interviews. In the end, he went through temp agencies and there was a bidding war for him.  He will be temp for three months and then turn into permanent. However, the guy interviewing him said, they may very well buy out the contract of the temp agency and get him on permanent really soon.  He was getting depressed too and then it turned around and people fighting to get him.

I hope your situation gets better.

• Like 1

I think it's unusual you know so many people interviewing for the same jobs as you? I'm sure that is especially discouraging if others are having success?

Have you considered brushing up your interview skills? You could just google and see what you find. There are a bunch of videos out on you tubes with tricks of the trade.

It's not that unusual. There are an army of us working part time. Most us work for at least two employers in the area often jumping around every couple of years to get a wage increase. So everyone knows probably half the people who apply.

My boss said just by applying the higher ups are getting to know me. Makes it sound like figure skating-- can't get the gold medal if you just suddenly be appear out of nowhere at the Olympics.

• Like 1

Morning phone interview was ok. If I don't get an in person interview it likely means they decided before doing the interviews and are going through the motions.

My ds's school called about scheduling an IEP meeting right as the interview call was come in. That was nerve racking. I just said bad time to talk and hung up.

I'll just keep chugging along I guess. Thank you for the support.

• Like 1

I used to work as a corporate recruiter a very long time ago, and I explained to the candidates who didn't get hired that the person doing the hiring has an image in their mind of their employee and what skills or experience or whatever they have, before they even begin looking. They are looking for someone who most closely fits their image and when someone doesn't, it isn't a negative reflection on them at all and the hiring manager or whoever didn't have a negative opinion of that candidate. Try not to take it personally, the right fit is out there.

• Like 2