Menu

Are there still people committed to the idea of homeschooling as a lifestyle?

I just received an email from another acquaintance who is putting her children in a brick and mortar classical charter school in a neighboring city. It looks like a great school, but for the last couple of years many of my friends have quit homeschooling for one reason or another. Most of the others are in charter school at home programs. Sometimes I feel like the only one still committed to independently homeschooling my children all the way through high school. Has anyone else felt this way or seen this trend?

I'm in your camp. I wouldn't ever consider a brick and motor school for my kiddos- but I agree with the trend you see. I think it's great that more families are at least keeping their kiddos home with them in the earlier years. I do feel it's most important then. DH works at a public high school and swears our kids will never been in a public high school! lol! I do pray that "life" continues to allow for us to keep them at home with us, I know not all are that fortunate. If anything ever happened though I know that my mother and sister would probably help take over the kids home education as they are very supportive and would likely be in a position to do so (like if I died or dh died and I needed to work out of the home or whatever.)

Sometimes sending the kids out the door to school does look like and eaiser option!

I am seeing more and more homeschoolers heading towards the Charter School programs (homeschool but under a public school charter) in my area. I usually get one of three reasons.

1. Economics. Struggling to purchase curriculum and pay for extra activities.

2. Services such as speech therapy, special ed, etc. (which kinda goes back to economics since they just can't afford to pay for these services).

3. Mom is burned out & lonely. Even more than the kiddos it seems that Moms want more social interaction. Often they'll mention their children needing more interaction but when you talk to them it starts to boil down to their needs. Our local homeschool group just isn't that easy to "break into". It makes me sad to know that the local independent groups aren't meeting those emotional support type needs.

I think many people feel inadequate at providing the best education for their kids once they get a bit older, and a charter school or whatever is a compromise. Many people didnt receive such a good education and just dont feel they can do highschool.

I mean , homeschooling is not a religion one commits to or "believes in" or anything- everyone does what they feel is best easch year. You dont get brownie points from the homeschool police for "finishing all the way through". It's expensive, and the truth is it is a huge sacrifice for the mother to make for so many years. It's not for everyone.

But, apparently, it is for me :)

Well, I am comitted to homeschooling my kids all the way through. But, we are a member of a co-op (a public school partnership) two days a week, for now. I don't know if you are only talking about full-time charter school or if you are talking about part-time options also. Being a part of a charter (for now) doesn't make me less comitted to long-term homeschooling.

Ours is very much a lifestyle, although I do outsource some things. If I didn't outsource these things I think my kids would be short changed and I'd be overextended.

It is hard, all my high schooler's friends are now going to the parent partnership and he'd like to take some classes now, too. The only class that looks promising is the Spanish one. So many of the classes are really weak. I'd rather he hold on one more year and just begin running start at the local CC when he's 16. There are a lot of choices now.

Sometimes I feel like the only one still committed to independently homeschooling my children all the way through high school. Has anyone else felt this way or seen this trend?

Me! I sometimes talk about putting the kids in school, the same way I talk about selling them to gypsies. They will not even be placed in public schools over my dead body, since their guardians were carefully chosen as people who are also committed to homeschooling. It's not just about education. It's precisely what you say -- homeschooling is a lifestyle of learning together.

Homeschooling is very precious to me. I have plans to do it all the way through.

I had plans to give birth without pain meds and, while I told people that I would take meds if I had to(to get them off my back about it), I knew deep down that I would give birth without the meds. And I did give birth w/o the meds.

It's the same way with homeschooling. I tell people that we'll try to do it all the way through, but you can't predict the future, so maybe we won't (to get them off my back about it) ....but deep down, I KNOW I'll do this all the way through.

Interestingly, my dd came to me today almost in tears asking if hsing would ever be outlawed. I guess she overheard me tell someone I didn't know a particular person's bent on hsing and took things to a level I never intended. So, long story short, she is committed to hsing for the long haul. I hope I am too.:lol:

I am not committed to homeschooling as a lifestyle. I am strongly committed to providing the best education I can possibly find for my dd and to following God's plan for our lives. Right now that does include homeschooling.

However, dh and I were talking about this yesterday when we happened to drive by a very small private Christian school that is, sadly, quite far away from our home. If I were able to be a teacher there and we could afford the tuition, I would probably be open to considering whether that method would provide an education superior to the one that I am currently providing at home. Although I am generally happy with our schooling, there are some areas that I suspect might be improved in a small group setting.

I fully expect that my dd will attend some of her high school classes via the internet and in person at the local community college. Both because there will be subjects that can be taught better there than at home and because I want her to have the experience of being in a classroom setting while she can still come home every day and talk about it rather than waiting for her freshman year of college to experience that whole dynamic alone and on her own. (Doesn't hurt that her best friend's parents both teach there and one of those classes would be bf's fathers' physics lab:D I know I could trust Dr. H to keep a sharp eye out for her!)

But that will not change our lifestyle any more than her maturing into a teenager will. We will continue at the same economic level, same education level for us parents, same rural environment, same values, same religion, etc. For us, homeschooling is a method of education, not a lifestyle. Our lifestyle is much more comprehensive than just the way we educate dd. I expect those things would stay the same regardless of how we chose to educate our child.

Me too! Me too! We're in it for the long haul. If, God forbid, something should happen to me, I've talked to Chris about ways he could make it happen still. If we should both perish, my older brother and his wife (childless) will take in all the kidders and they are very much pro homeschooling so I have no worries there.

Yes, I am committed to homeschooling as a lifestyle, unless something huge and dire happens and the Lord directs me otherwise. And, yes, I have seen the massive flight to public partnership programs, which saddens me. A few people have already been burned enough that they have pulled out and returned to independent homeschooling, but with great disappointments for the children (having to give back a drum set, etc.).

Our version of independent homeschooling might include a form of dual enrollment at a community college since one child is trying for an engineering career, but we plan to soldier on.

High school, no, but that gypsy thing might have merit. :lol: My dd is taking a college class, Spanish, and another high school enrichment course at another college. I feel the Lord is offering opportunities as we go along. We're in it for the long haul.

I'm committed to for the long haul. We plan on hsing through to graduation.

That being said, my son is currently attending first grade down the street. It was something we needed to do for him. He had a really rough fall. His intelect was greatly surpassing his maturity. He grew about 2 inches in 2 1/2 months. Our dear friends, who we were with EVERY day, and he was VERY close to (he's an only so he gets attached to friends a little more easy) had a medical emergency with their 10 year old. One day they were there, one day they were airlifted off. And our house was like information central on the whole situation. He overheard way more than he should have and that was my fault. The whole thing shook him up and confused him. We also had issues with neighborhood kids. HOMESCHOOLED neighborhood kids. (Yes I sent my son to school to get him away from the homeschoolers! How weird does that sound???)

He needed a break. He needed an attitude adjustment. He needed away from the hood.

Now we afterschool. And honestly, we're still getting most of our stuff done. He has homework for the week brought home on Monday. It's a front and back math worksheet and then study for his spelling test. He has 3 days to do it. I consider that the equivalent of one's day's math work. We do it all on Monday and study his spelling. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thrusday and Friday, we study his spelling, do MY homeschool phonics program (he is way beyond the school), we do FLL and WWE. We do MY math. Science and History was mainly read alouds anyway, so now we just them on the weekends and at night time. Art wasn't happening so much even when he was in school, which was bad on me! But he's doing it at the school now. His teacher requires 10 minutes of reading 7 days a week. He happily does it for her. Except he usually does 20-30 minutes a day.

We'll accomplish the important things and be ready to move on to our second grade plan in the fall. And in the fall he is home again. We'll also have moved yet again (that will be his 4th home by second grade). School is not an option. Both by location and becasue I say so.

So because we are taking this break does that mean I'm not committed or not a 'true' homeschooler? I don't think so. I homeschool becasue it's what's best for him (we're military moving ever 2-3 years and won't hit our 20 till he turns 21). He needed this. He isn't losing out on anything by doing this. We are both gaining a lot. He's not thrilled with having to get up everyday, and knows he misses out on playtime by being at the brick school. I've gotten MUCH better about getting up and getting us moving. I'm finally in a routine. Something we both really needed, but I didn't realize it till now.

Will I ever put him into 'real' school agian? Hopefully not. But never say never. I have no problem putting him in classes, and figure a lot of high school math and science will be made up of community college courses anyway.

The beauty of homeschooling is you do what you need to do at that moment. It's flexible and fluid and moves with you.

I suppose I'm in for the long haul w/ my two younger ones. I didn't realize it, but I've looked at curriculum choices, teaching methods, etc. for Jr. High and High school (at home). I know what my goals are for their academics, for our family as we continue on this journey together, and for their personal character values (for as far as my influence reaches in high school anyhow).

I thought I was only homeschooling to give them a better education. This school year, they were accepted into the same Montessori charter school that their sister goes to. In my mind that school was the epitomy of an excellent education. Turns out it wasn't all that I had assumed for the younger grades. Knowing full well that per that school's rules I can not sign them up again after disenrollement, I pulled them out to continue homeschooling. I missed them, they missed me, and dh & I disagreed w/ their method of teaching reading and w/ separating the family unit so much. We really longed for the 'dream' we had about homeschooling, the journey of learning and growing together. They were sooooo pooped when they would come home from school. They were tired, cranky, and there was homework and reading time to be accomplished. It just wasn't what we wanted.

All that to say that I think maybe we are in it for the longhaul, and for more than just educational purposes too.

Thanks so much everyone. I feel less lonely now.:)

BTW, I didn't mean no outside classes. I had to outsource high school Latin, and there is no way I can teach physics! I guess it is just the trend in my local classical support group right now, but I have been feeling like everyone is giving up. It is probably because my oldest is in high school now and that is when many people look to other options.

If you are in a public homeschool program, I don't mean to be critical. The issues are just different. My friends in these programs have someone else to make transcripts, and plan classes and they are all into new expensive curriculums because the state pays for them. I am happy for them, but I used to be able to trade books!

It's my lifestyle choice, but not my husband's :sigh: My oldest will probably be homeschooled till the end, I'm not sure about my youngest, I hope so. If it's any encouragement, I'm part of the registration crew for my local co-op and our 12-18 yo classes are bursting out of the seams. I see a pretty big commitment to homeschooling all the way through here in southern NJ.

I hear you, and I've posted on the very same subject a number of times. I've talked about how I feel like an island. I've essentially asked for a show of hands of those just so I'll have some company ~ even if it is online company. Because in my "real life", virtually no one is homeschooling older teens. Oh, it's easy to find people (as in this thread) who only have young children and swear a lifelong commitment to homeschooling. But people with older students who haven't opted to enroll them in schools, or rely very heavily on parent partnership programs (as they're called here in WA state)? I know almost none, outside of this board. Between that and the fact that my husband would be fine with having our oldest go to high school, and the fact that my oldest himself would like to go to high school for the social scene, well...I'm in it for the lifestyle, but I'm paddling my own canoe.

We are committed all the way through. (And we live in WA, Colleen!). My ds11 would be in middle school now. From all I hear from the neighborhood moms who have kids his age - no way would I put him there! And we have no intention for that for high school either. We may have to find a tutor for him for math though. I've discovered I'm at my instructional level in math now - at Singapore 6.

We are committed to homeschooling as a lifestyle, but I have seen a lot of people drop out when nearing middle and high school. When we first began (about 9 yrs. ago), we were "trying homeschooling on for size". We thought we'd make it through elementary school at least, but weren't sure about going farther than that.

By the time our oldest was nearing the end of elementary school, middle school didn't look so scary! By that time, we really felt like homeschoolers, not just people who had chosen to homeschool. Does that make sense? It took a few years to really "own" the whole idea and for it to be a real lifestyle and not just an educational choice.

We're just as committed now that our oldest is at the end of middle, but high school is making me apprehensive. I no longer consider any alternatives, but it is so hard and so overwhelming at times that I just have to remember to breathe!

It would be very easy to give up on it many days. I try to stay focused on our reason for beginning in the first place and that is the feeling of being called by God, and that's not something I throw around lightly. If I turn my back on homeschooling, I'm turning my back on Him. He called me, so He will equip me.

Well, that's more than you asked for, Anissa...I've had this on my mind a lot recently, so I guess this just brought it out! The ranks are definitely dwindling as we near the older grades.

Take care,

Chelle

I am seeing more and more homeschoolers heading towards the Charter School programs (homeschool but under a public school charter) in my area. I usually get one of three reasons.

2. Services such as speech therapy, special ed, etc. (which kinda goes back to economics since they just can't afford to pay for these services).

3. Mom is burned out & lonely. Even more than the kiddos it seems that Moms want more social interaction. Often they'll mention their children needing more interaction but when you talk to them it starts to boil down to their needs. Our local homeschool group just isn't that easy to "break into". It makes me sad to know that the local independent groups aren't meeting those emotional support type needs.

Really? I would find some of that refreshing. Most of the ones I've seen return it's because the kids wanted to - it sounded "fun". I don't get that one. A few send their high school kids so the local school will pay for some of their college credits if they test into the program, and a few to play sports.

My kids don't make the rules for "fun", I'm far too libertarian to enroll for the college credits, and athletics isn't to trump the other reasons to homeschool. I'm in it for the duration, God willing.

Has anyone else felt this way or seen this trend?

Definitely seen the trend for many homeschoolers getting to middle and high school to move to a brick and mortar school. Those older years are tough.

Most of the families I've met that are still homeschooling in the high school years do it because of a strong academic need or special needs that are not supported in a different environment.

I love homeschooling my children, but it is only one of many possible options for their education. Presently, it is the best option for our family.

If a better option becomes available, I will not sacrifice my children's education for my personal selfishness.

That's why I try so hard to make HSing the best option.

I just received an email from another acquaintance who is putting her children in a brick and mortar classical charter school in a neighboring city. It looks like a great school, but for the last couple of years many of my friends have quit homeschooling for one reason or another. Most of the others are in charter school at home programs. Sometimes I feel like the only one still committed to independently homeschooling my children all the way through high school. Has anyone else felt this way or seen this trend?

I'm committed to this for life. :) Even if I thought there was some other way they could get a 'better' education, I'd still have them at home doing the best we can here. It's not just about quality education, IMO, it's about what's best for the whole person and I firmly believe that our family should spend the majority of its time together, living, learning, working, playing etc.

It isn't about 'sacrifice', not to me anyway, it's about living the life I chose when I decided to have children. What am I sacrificing? I can't think of a single thing. I don't think it counts as a sacrifice when the thing you get (i.e. time with the children) is better than anything you could have had instead.

Well, if it is a trend, it is not a new one. I have watched the upper level classes (7th grade and up) in our gym and swim shrink each year that we have been there. The same was true for the co-op group that we belonged to previous to the gym and swim. So, that has been a period of 9 years. Many of the kids have gone to public school and some have gone to a recently established classical "study center".

I guess we are in for the full run. Our oldest is in 9th grade this year, and in our state going back into ps is not an option once you have entered high school unless you want to retake classes.

Jennie

Life isn't static and even the best laid plans must be redrawn.

I am committed to my children and what is best for them. I do hope they'll all homeschool through high school. I love being a part of their education and having them around all the time. But I can't see me being so committed to a cause or a lifestyle that I ignore other opportunities that might be good for them.

And, I'll also confess that my attitude has changed now that I actually have my teenager at home. I had lots of ideas about how I'd do things when my youngest two hit middle/high school level. Now that my oldest is home, I'm finding that my expectations were off the mark. It's a very scary thing to know that if she does or doesn't do something correctly right now, it can impact her life in just a few years. She and I are not currently on the same page where schooling is concerned because I've fostered such an independence in her. I find myself thinking fondly back to her more dependent days when she listened and agreed with everything I said. :)

:iagree:Life is so dynamic. We are committed to creating an educationally enriched environment. Every year is different, though, with new challenges be that economic, health, etc. Our family has changed significantly this year-our oldest moving out and our youngest a true elementary student. Life is often lonely for our older kids. We've had gaps in higher level classes that I can't fill in. We love being with our kids but we are constantly seeking and creating opportunities and open to what God has for us as a family and as parents educating our children. Having said all of that, we've homeschooled for 18 years:001_smile:. It's been a blast. I love truly knowing my kids and having the kind of family culture that we do.

It seemed that many homeschool highschoolers were taking dual enrollment courses at the CC, so when the early college high school opened at the CC, a number of homeschoolers whom we know applied there. For their parents, this seemed a natural path since 1) they planned on concurrent enrollment anyway and 2) the early college high school pays for the books. The last is a huge issue for large families.

My 11th grade son continues to do some courses at home, but he is taking advantage of the free college courses that he can take at the CC. This has solved a problem that faces some homeschoolers who lack a co-op: good science labs!

Jane

. . . not to be thinking that you "should" put your kids in school for high school!

I hope that's not what you're hearing from your friends that have chosen traditional school--that they think homeschooling is for the early years or that kids need the socialization or something. I hope they're not making you feel that you're wrong for homeschooling all the way through. If or when we choose traditional school, I certainly won't be thinking about all my homeschooling friends (like, both of them!) and how they should be doing what I'm doing.

(By the same token, I hope they won't be looking at me and thinking that I've "dropped out" of the Real Parents Club or that I've damaged their credibility or something.)

I believe in homeschooling throughout but sometimes situations get in the way temporarily.

In the fall of 2007, I put my son in a public virtual academy. He was still home, but we got some stuff we needed in a time of life that was chaotic and scary and such. What easily would have been the worst year at the worst time for my ds ended up being one of his best schooling years. I don't regret it at all.

Of course, I'm glad to be back to homeschooling independently.

Also, you mentioned some people using the home programs. Though they are public schools (or sometimes private schools, esp for high school), I don't think they generally take away from the lifestyle of homeschooling. The virtual academy we were involved in for that year was extremely loose for the most part with few hoops to jump through. On a typical day, it didn't feel any different than homeschooling. The kids are home. You go to the park (zoo, museum, volunteer work, etc) when you wish. You take off when you need to. You have a light day when you must. We took walks in the middle of the day. We tweaked the curriculum as necessary. We got up and moving on our family schedule. And the list goes on. We still had our lifestyle (though hampered due to multiple hospitalizations and illness).

Anyway, my point is just that those other families may not feel they gave up homeschooling, but that they tweaked it for their current needs. To me, the year in the virtual academy for my son was similar to the year I bought a boxed curriculum for my daughter (btw, 7th grade for each of them). It was just something we did a little differently that year in order to deal with life. We didn't give up a homeschooling lifestyle either time.

But on this board, you'll find TONS of homeschoolers. But we're all representing individual families and children. So our stories will all be a little different :)

:iagree:

We have always homeschooled but decided to try our state's free public K12 virtual academy this year. We withdrew January 5 and are back to homeschooling independently. I was totally drawn in by the free materials and mostly a feeling that my daughter might not be getting what she needs because I struggle sometimes putting it all together. The materials we received were fabulous but there were too many hoops breathing down my neck over the hours put in etc. It did help me find out some more about what my daughter does like and respond to well. I am very happy to be back on my own though and have plans to continue now. Unless something drastically changes in our lives, our girls will not go to B&M school, certainly not in our public district.

...except that we don't have Charter Schools here. The public schools are not really doing a good job academically, but it seems that, as in your area, it boils down to:

1. Economics. Several moms I know work outside the home because they can't make it on one income in this financial climate.

2. Services. Around here, though, it is more for the extra-curriculars that the public schools can offer than for the special ed. services. Unfortunately, Georgia has no Equal Access law, so kids who want to participate in sports or arts programs must enroll in the public schools.

3. Socialization for mom as well as the kids. Our homeschool group isn't easy to break into either.

One thing I've noticed is that most of the homeschoolers around here are elementary age kids. There is a military academy (grades 6-12) in our town -- strict discipline, good academics, etc. -- and I know several families who homeschool through 5th grade and then enroll their kids in the military academy. Kids wear uniforms and can participate in ROTC, but are not expected to enlist in the military upon graduation.

Edited by ereks mom

I do know some families here in NJ that are committed to homeschooling through high school. We're not one of them, though. We assess as we progress (does that sound like J. Jackson?). As long as I feel that homeschooling is the best option we'll continue. A year or two ago I assumed that high school was in the cards for us, but as my oldest approaches 7th grade, I can see that homeschooling my still be the better choice. We'll see.

This is my career. I treat my responsibilities the same as I did when I was in a corporate setting. I'm organized, I set goals, I hold myself accountable...I am also the mom...I think some homes get the two confused....if you don't take this job seriously, then you will not get what you want out of it...Just as I wanted to be an asset to my former corporation, I want to be an asset to my children's education...I may not be getting that fat paycheck at the end of 2 weeks, but I'm doing this job for roughly 15 years...I hope that the more I do it, the more skilled I become....but I try to keep an imaginary line between mom and teacher...

Teacher won't slack off on work, but mom will let the chores slide on the weekend...I think if you treat this role as a career, you will be more apt to stick with it...I'd much rather be teaching my children than traveling and attending regional/national meetings away from them!

Tara

We had our first homeschool graduate last year and another coming up this year. We have homeschooled our children from the beginning. We have 4 more to go and the youngest is 5, so we still have a ways to go.

We have homeschooled through poverty, marital distress, 4 babies born by c-section every couple of years, the death of my father and brother, my Mom's ongoing battle with breast cancer in another state, a couple of job losses, interstate moves, learning disabilities, and teenage behaviour issues.

Even though we have had our trials over the years, I don't think our family is unique in these things, just that we have made a commitment to homeschool our kids. When fall comes, we don't question where our kids will be going to school and we don't question where they will go to school in a couple years. Our kids don't ask to go to school, because it has never been an option. We know that the cost of any educational/extra curricular things our kids want to do will come out of our pocket and we make decisions accordingly.

I wrote this post for the OP who feels isolated about her choices, not as a statement to anyone who makes different choices, so please don't take it that way.

Joy

It would be very easy to give up on it many days. I try to stay focused on our reason for beginning in the first place and that is the feeling of being called by God, and that's not something I throw around lightly. If I turn my back on homeschooling, I'm turning my back on Him. He called me, so He will equip me.

:iagree:That sums up my perspective. Well put. Thanks.

This is my career. I treat my responsibilities the same as I did when I was in a corporate setting. I'm organized, I set goals, I hold myself accountable...I am also the mom...I think some homes get the two confused....if you don't take this job seriously, then you will not get what you want out of it...Just as I wanted to be an asset to my former corporation, I want to be an asset to my children's education...I may not be getting that fat paycheck at the end of 2 weeks, but I'm doing this job for roughly 15 years...I hope that the more I do it, the more skilled I become....but I try to keep an imaginary line between mom and teacher...

:iagree:Same here.

We have been homeschooling since 1986, so it is my life, my career, what I feel called to do. I really haven't heard of any families that have put their kids in high school. We do have a great co-op and most families start taking classes at our community college while they are still in high school.

God bless,

Vicki

We are committed to homeschooling all the way through graduation from high school.

Currently, we use a virtual academy so our kids are considered public school students through the alternative education laws; however, nothing has changed from how I homeschooled them independently. I'm still their sole teacher. I still choose all of our curriculum. We still homeschool using the same style, methods, etc. This particular school does not dictate how we homeschool...we tell them what we are doing and report our progress. As long as we are progressing and the kids are testing above the 25th percentile each year, they basically leave us alone.

That said, should they decide to change the rules and begin to dictate what we can and cannot do, we'll drop them in a heartbeat.

We've had some bumps in the road, but now it looks like my three boys will homeschool the rest of the way. The "break" we took for a year and a half or so actually really helped. I was burnt out - the kids were burnt out. Sending them to ps for that time brought us all back to feeling like homeschooling is the better option.

My youngest is in a French Immersion school and quite happy there. Since she's so much younger than everyone else I feel okay with that choice for now. I imagine she'll leave school somewhere in the middle school years because the French program tails off around then and the behavior problems skyrocket in those years. I figure by then we'll be ready for travel and adventure because a couple of kids will be out of the house.

I have always felt homeschooling was the best option, but there are so many different circumstances - I see no problem with trying out different things.

Homeschooling high school is scarier, but it's going well right now and we're using no outside classes for 10th grade. I wish more families did stick with it.

Life isn't static and even the best laid plans must be redrawn.

I am committed to my children and what is best for them. I do hope they'll all homeschool through high school. I love being a part of their education and having them around all the time. But I can't see me being so committed to a cause or a lifestyle that I ignore other opportunities that might be good for them.

I agree. We are committed to homeschooling through to college, but I am aware that there could arise situations where we change our minds about what we feel is best for our family. We have had several friends have to reevaluate over the past year.

So, I guess I am committed as long as it works for our family, but plan to continue through highschool.

Yes, totally committed to home education here. We have 4 grads and think that the teenage years are as important as the early ones in their upbringing. Our adult children are so wonderfully close to us and all their siblings. I wouldn't have wanted to miss a minute of those formative years.

I am committed but my dh isn't. I never want to say never because I don't know what life will bring. I am planning to stick it out. That means I have 16 years to go!

For those of you whose dh's aren't committed I wonder if that will change eventually. My dh has always been pro-hsing but when I'd get stressed he'd push for ps. Last year, I chickened out about hsing high school and tried to talk the boy and man into public or private high school. They both balked. So, we homeschool high school here. LOL