Menu

I need to buy a vehicle that meets these very specific requirements

Able to carry a double bass, and backseat passengers at the same time

Accommodates very tall drivers, and passengers, including backseat passengers.

Not crazy expensive

Not a Kia or a Hyundai, since in my area those get stolen all the frigging time.

Not a plug in electric, because we have street parking.

Suggestions? What should I look at?  

I'd suggest maybe looking at minivans that have a rear seat that either fully lay down or they have some that portions can as well. Minivans seem to be a better bang for your back in comparison to SUVs if you're not needing towing capability. Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna are likely the most popular. The cheaper option would be a Chrysler Town and Country or Pacifica if you're avoiding Kias overall.

• Like 7

How many people do you need to fit at the same time as the bass, and how tall are they?

In my experience, Hondas tend to have the best headroom for tall people and I often see them recommended for "very tall" folks. DS is 6'7" and he can sit comfortably in an Odyssey or Pilot, but in a Subaru Forrester his head hits the roof and there is no way to adjust the seat to prevent that, at least while driving (if he is in a passenger seat he can recline the seat way back, but he can't drive in that position). Even though on paper the Forrester has roughly the same headroom as a Pilot, the seats are more upright, while the Pilot and Odyssey seats can be lowered in a way that makes it comfortable even for someone 6'7". I have also seen the Honda CRV recommended on several sites by people who are very tall, including a guy who is 6'10," and I knew a guy who was 6'4" and loved his Honda Fit (which is a pretty small car and not something most people would think of as comfortable for a 6'4" guy). When DS graduates and moves back home, I will likely get him a used CRV.

What we did with the Odyssey when I was hauling around several kids (mine plus others) plus large fencing bags, was put up the 3rd row seat and then take out one of the middle row seats and the central console/mini seat. That way we could fit 6 people plus several fencing bags. With the Forrester that I currently have, I can put down the smaller side of the split rear seat and still fit 4 people plus fencing bags (or a bass), as long as no one is over 6'4" or 6'5"

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

How many people do you need to fit at the same time as the bass, and how tall are they?

In my experience, Hondas tend to have the best headroom for tall people and I often see them recommended for "very tall" folks. DS is 6'7" and he can sit comfortably in an Odyssey or Pilot, but in a Subaru Forrester his head hits the roof and there is no way to adjust the seat to prevent that, at least while driving (if he is in a passenger seat he can recline the seat way back, but he can't drive in that position). Even though on paper the Forrester has roughly the same headroom as a Pilot, the seats are more upright, while the Pilot and Odyssey seats can be lowered in a way that makes it comfortable even for someone 6'7". I have also seen the Honda CRV recommended on several sites by people who are very tall, including a guy who is 6'10," and I knew a guy who was 6'4" and loved his Honda Fit (which is a pretty small car and not something most people would think of as comfortable for a 6'4" guy). When DS graduates and moves back home, I will likely get him a used CRV.

What we did with the Odyssey when I was hauling around several kids (mine plus others) plus large fencing bags, was put up the 3rd row seat and then take out one of the middle row seats and the central console/mini seat. That way we could fit 6 people plus several fencing bags. With the Forrester that I currently have, I can put down the smaller side of the split rear seat and still fit 4 people plus fencing bags (or a bass), as long as no one is over 6'4" or 6'5"

Can your DS sit in the back of a Odyssey? 

It's hard to know how tall my kids will end up.  My pediatrician says that my youngest will likely be around 6'6", but he has a lot of growing to do to get there.  We keep our cars a long time, so this is almost certainly the car he'll learn to drive on.  

I think we need to be able to fit the bass with three passengers.  

I don't think a fencing bag is as long as a bass.

I'd say take a look at the Honda CRV.  DS is 6'3" and all legs.  When shopping for a vehicle, he would position the driver's seat where he was comfortable and then hop in the seat behind it since he has several tall friends who may be sitting in the back.  If I remember correctly, he didn't even have to have the driver's seat all the way back to be comfortable.  The only thing I'm not sure on is the storage space in the back.  I have no idea how big a double bass is.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

I have a Toyota Sienna and three teenage cellists.  If we fold down the two-seater part of the back row, then we can fit two cellos (barely -- it depends on the cases) and four passengers (one in the far back next to the instruments, two in the second row, and one in the front passenger) plus the driver.  The space where we put the two cellos head-to-foot would fit one bass.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd be looking at a van - with quad/flexible seating arrangements.

dh's (tall) nephew was a cellist - he had a vanagon for a long time.  He could carry his instrument - and other musicians and their instruments - when they went to gigs.

1 hour ago, smstjohn said:

I'd suggest maybe looking at minivans that have a rear seat that either fully lay down or they have some that portions can as well. Minivans seem to be a better bang for your back in comparison to SUVs if you're not needing towing capability. Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna are likely the most popular. The cheaper option would be a Chrysler Town and Country or Pacifica if you're avoiding Kias overall.

Unless Odysseys and Siennas have increased their size, the T&C/Pacifica should actually be larger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drama Llama said:

It's hard to know how tall my kids will end up.  My pediatrician says that my youngest will likely be around 6'6", but he has a lot of growing to do to get there.  We keep our cars a long time, so this is almost certainly the car he'll learn to drive on.  

He can definitely sit comfortably in the middle row, but I don't know about the 3rd row. But if you only need to fit a driver plus 3 passengers, you can leave the 3rd row seats down and just pop out the center console/seat from the middle row (it's designed to be very easy to remove) and slide the bass in with the neck part going between the two passenger seats. Here are a couple of photos showing what the center console/seat looks like, and what it looks like from the back with it removed — you'd have the full length of the car from the back to the driver's seat for the bass, while still having two full sized, comfortable passenger seats.

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 3.01.34 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 3.07.05 PM.png

2 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

We also have an Odyssey (and a civic and an accord, we like our Hondas).  My tall DS can sit in the middle row outer seats but doesn't like it for long rides and there is no extra room to move.  His knees are within in inch of the front seats (and we don't even have them all the way back).  He can't sit in the third row without being completely cramped.  The CRV had so much more passenger room  than the Odyssey does but probably might not have enough storage space.  One "possible" configuration that might give a really tall passenger enough leg room would be to fold down the small section of the third row and hopefully that allows enough room for the instrument and then remove the middle row seat on the opposite site so the back row passenger could really stretch legs.  So your three passengers were one in each row of the van but alternating sides. 

• Like 1

I have a Chrysler Pacifica. There are different seating arrangements you can choose for the center passenger seating. One of which will have a center "bench seat" in the middle and another will just have two captains chairs (the seating like the driver and front passenger).

I can also choose how I want the back seats folded down. So I can have two of the back seats folded down leaving one of the back seats up (so it's more of a regular sized seat for a third person in the back rather than the "bench seat"). Or fold one seat down and have a one full seat and a "bench seat". 

("bench seat" isn't really a bench but it's not the full size seat; it's the squished between the two seats seat.)

If you have the non-hybrid model I believe you can fold the two center seats into the floor of the minivan as well. Of course in any configuration as you desire.

I have no skin in the game for Chrysler Pacifica and I also want to say the Honda Odyssey probably has similar configurability (wouldn't be surprised if all the minivans do). 

BIL around 6 ft had no trouble at all sitting in the back seat for a 5 hr car ride. 

• Like 1

Maybe look at the Subaru Ascent. It's the largest Subaru and comes in 7 or 8 passenger configurations. So you can lay seats down to fit large loads and still have passenger room. I think it is taller than the smaller Subarus so may be able to accommodate taller passengers better. 🤷🏻‍♀️

4 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

Can your DS sit in the back of a Odyssey

My brother who is less than 6 feet tall barely feet on the 3rd row of Sienna or Odyssey. Having the third row flat for the double bass and letting your tall kids sit in the second row would be more comfortable. 

We have a Town and Country and find it works for our family of 6 adult sized people very well. DH is 6’3” and has plenty of space. DS14 is a little over 6’ and can still fit in the third row, although it is a bit of a tight fit now. We like that all of the seats in the second and third rows fold down into the floor. The seats fold very easily, in seconds, and we can fit a full sheet of plywood flat in the back, and have even moved a large couch in it with the back closed. We only have a cello to fit, but I think you could fit a double bass depending on which seats you fold down. I’m really not sure why the Chrysler minivans aren’t more popular. We’ve had several. They’re so much cheaper than the Odysseys and Siennas but we’ve found them to be very reliable. We’ve gotten all three of ours to 200k miles +. The last two were still running fine when we sold them, and our current one is at 210k miles and still going strong. 

Edited by 2ndGenHomeschooler
  • Like 1

We are a fairly tall family, and Hondas typically work for us - front row and second row. We've had an Odyssey before and currently have a CR-V.  Plenty of head room and leg room. But not sure if that double bass will fit in the back. It would probably fit in the front passenger seat if both kids sit in the back seat.  The CR-V is easier for me to parallel park than the Odyssey was - possibly because it is newer/better backup camera, but it is also shorter than the van (or at least feels shorter!)

Is an enclosed hitch trailer not an option? It seems like that would open up more options. 

I don't know if enclosed hitch trailers are a thing sold retail, or if it is a custom thing, an adultling made one for a client.

5 hours ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

We have a Town and Country and find it works for our family of 6 adult sized people very well. DH is 6’3” and has plenty of space. DS14 is a little over 6’ and can still fit in the third row, although it is a bit of a tight fit now. We like that all of the seats in the second and third rows fold down into the floor. The seats fold very easily, in seconds, and we can fit a full sheet of plywood flat in the back, and have even moved a large couch in it with the back closed. We only have a cello to fit, but I think you could fit a double bass depending on which seats you fold down. I’m really not sure why the Chrysler minivans aren’t more popular. We’ve had several. They’re so much cheaper than the Odysseys and Siennas but we’ve found them to be very reliable. We’ve gotten all three of ours to 200k miles +. The last two were still running fine when we sold them, and our current one is at 210k miles and still going strong. 

I had a grand voyager for 10 years, and a T&C for almost 20 (it had 165K miles when I sold it, but it was still running strong. and I had done a 1000miles each way road trip that summer, no issues.).  There are days, I still miss it.  sniff sniff. I miss it's hauling ability, some ways it was more comfortable than my highlander.  dh was adamant he didn't want another van, or I probably would have bought another one.   It was definitely bigger than the Sienna, and pretty sure it was bigger than the Odyssey.
My 6' kids could ride in the 3rd row on road trips just fine.

I've rented one when I've wanted to pickup furniture off craigslist.  The highlander's cargo space sucks, even with all seats folded down.

Edited by gardenmom5

4 hours ago, SHP said:

Is an enclosed hitch trailer not an option? It seems like that would open up more options. 

I don't know if enclosed hitch trailers are a thing sold retail, or if it is a custom thing, an adultling made one for a client.

We will need to parallel park it frequently.  I think trailers are for people with driveways.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I'd say take a look at the Honda CRV.  DS is 6'3" and all legs.  When shopping for a vehicle, he would position the driver's seat where he was comfortable and then hop in the seat behind it since he has several tall friends who may be sitting in the back.  If I remember correctly, he didn't even have to have the driver's seat all the way back to be comfortable.  The only thing I'm not sure on is the storage space in the back.  I have no idea how big a double bass is.  

I have a CRV.   Everyone I know who has one loves it.   But any mini-SUV would probably work.   Dh wants to look at the Toyota Rav4s for our next car.   He also wants to look at the Honda Highlander.   That might work for you as well.

I don't know what your budget is.   I have the base model CRV.   We got it for my son and then he ended up using the Camry more and I liked the CRV so I took it.   If I had known it was for me, I probably would have gone with at least a mid-grade model, but whatever.   We got it in 2020 from a private party and it was a 2014 model and we paid $12,000 for it.   

We have a Flex - 6'4 spouse has no problem driving and my over 6' kid has no problem in the middle row.  You can lay down both 3rd row seats or one third row and 1 second row if that shape is better.  They quit making Flexes a few years ago but you might find a used one if it would fit your needs.  We have 2 - mine will be 15 in the fall and spouse got one when we needed to replace a car and learned that they were going to quit making it.  It drives more like a car than a minivan so I wanted to make sure that I had one as long as I needed a mom-mobile.  It may be hard to find a good used one, but it's probably not attractive to thieves so there's that.  🙂  Older kid drives an Escape and has no problem sitting in the front or back.  It's not big enough for your needs, but one of their bigger vehicles might work.  We got on a Ford kick because the dealer here is easy to work with, but the fact that we've had no problems fitting my tall people in a couple of different models is also a plus - when I met spouse he drove with the seat very reclined because he didn't fit in his car properly.  

I can tell you what my upright bass playing buddy from high school drove....  A VW Rabbit convertible.  We were in an orchestra together that required a 30 minute drive each week.  He had that car and I had none, so I aways rode with him.  That was a VERY cold ride on winter days as the top had to be down whenever the bass was with us.  This was his parents' "solution" to your problem.  I do not recommend.  More than once we arrived soaked because it was raining.

Many years ago, we were in a similar situation except we needed to be able to haul five people and a full drum kit.  We brought the kit with us to test drive cars.  The sales people were amused but it was 100% necessary.  We were surprised at what vehicles worked and which did not.  We ended up with a Honda CR-V which I assumed would have been WAY too small.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

We will need to parallel park it frequently.  I think trailers are for people with driveways.

The type of trailer I am talking about would be possible to parallel park. I called it a hitch trailer because that is what I have always called a similar trailer that a family member has to distinguish from their other trailers. I grabbed this image of an open bike trailer that attaches how I am referring to.

These are pretty popular here, lots of people have grills/smokers here attached like this. Great for picnics at the park.

Tow-Tuff-14922-2-in-1-Steel-Cargo-Carrier-with-4-Bike-Rack-500-lbs-Capacity-Model-No-TTF-2762KR_bc3f--b1df-fe50ffbe76b6.938c057ac3994aecb63e95b922718af0.thumb.webp.695f250b75a1e7562b962f6fbea7977f.webp

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

I have a CRV.   Everyone I know who has one loves it.   But any mini-SUV would probably work.   Dh wants to look at the Toyota Rav4s for our next car.   He also wants to look at the Honda Highlander.   That might work for you as well.

I don't know what your budget is.   I have the base model CRV.   We got it for my son and then he ended up using the Camry more and I liked the CRV so I took it.   If I had known it was for me, I probably would have gone with at least a mid-grade model, but whatever.   We got it in 2020 from a private party and it was a 2014 model and we paid $12,000 for it.   

I would be skeptical if you could carry a double bass plus more than one (front seat) passenger in one.  Seems more of an either/or.  I'd be hesitant on a mid-sized SUV.  (I have a highlander and routinely have the 3rd row folded.  To carry a double bass, I'd have to fold down one of the middle seats too.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SHP said:

The type of trailer I am talking about would be possible to parallel park. I called it a hitch trailer because that is what I have always called a similar trailer that a family member has to distinguish from their other trailers. I grabbed this image of an open bike trailer that attaches how I am referring to.

These are pretty popular here, lots of people have grills/smokers here attached like this. Great for picnics at the park.

Tow-Tuff-14922-2-in-1-Steel-Cargo-Carrier-with-4-Bike-Rack-500-lbs-Capacity-Model-No-TTF-2762KR_bc3f--b1df-fe50ffbe76b6.938c057ac3994aecb63e95b922718af0.thumb.webp.695f250b75a1e7562b962f6fbea7977f.webp

I've seen those called "hitch mounted cargo basket" to distinguish it from a trailer.  Personally, I wouldn't put a stringed instrument in one.

eta: I drove around 2dd's MDX with one last year, It was great (the kit came with a heavy vinyl "trunk" that was completely enclosed, and bungee cords, and a bungee net)  if we were still camping I'd buy one in a second, but there are things I simply would NOT put on one.

Edited by gardenmom5
for clarity
  • Like 1

The little hitch extensions are nice for some things and this is why we have a hitch on our minivan (well, that and fancy bike rack).  But there is no way I would use one to haul an expensive string instrument on the exterior of a vehicle.  As someone who has one and has had kids in committed string programs.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, catz said:

The little hitch extensions are nice for some things and this is why we have a hitch on our minivan (well, that and fancy bike rack).  But there is no way I would use one to haul an expensive string instrument on the exterior of a vehicle.  As someone who has one and has had kids in committed string programs.  

Yeah, I have to agree.  

5 hours ago, skimomma said:

I can tell you what my upright bass playing buddy from high school drove....  A VW Rabbit convertible.  We were in an orchestra together that required a 30 minute drive each week.  He had that car and I had none, so I aways rode with him.  That was a VERY cold ride on winter days as the top had to be down whenever the bass was with us.  This was his parents' "solution" to your problem.  I do not recommend.  More than once we arrived soaked because it was raining.

Many years ago, we were in a similar situation except we needed to be able to haul five people and a full drum kit.  We brought the kit with us to test drive cars.  The sales people were amused but it was 100% necessary.  We were surprised at what vehicles worked and which did not.  We ended up with a Honda CR-V which I assumed would have been WAY too small.

I do not know what we will end up with, but I can't imagine that rain and cold like that were good for his instrument. I think I will cross convertible off the list.  

6 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

I do not know what we will end up with, but I can't imagine that rain and cold like that were good for his instrument. I think I will cross convertible off the list.  

What are you driving now that it fits in? 

why can’t you just buy another whatever-it-is?

8 minutes ago, pinball said:

What are you driving now that it fits in? 

why can’t you just buy another whatever-it-is?

I drive a Mazda 5.  We can fit the bass, but not the bass and back seat passengers, and even without the bass, the backseat is a tight fit for my oldest, and will be soon for my youngest (the one whose pediatrician expects him to be like 6'6").  

If I need to carry the bass and more than 2 people, or a person who can't sit in the front seat, then I borrow someone else's vehicle, but the vehicles I borrow are both bigger and more expensive than I want.  

Take a look at the Traverse.   I have been extremely happy with it.  It can hold a lot and tall people.  When the third row is up, even my son can fit comfortably back there ( 6ft and all legs/arms).   

If this helps with visualization- last year I was able to comfortably carry several teens and their renaissance gear, a large cooler and costume changes with plenty of extra room.  

A report from an American symphony:

The medium-height tuba player has a Toyota Highlander hybrid and they tell me they can fit in 6 tubas, but IDK how many passengers at the same time. He recommends looking at a Prius 5 for taller folks.

Bass players include some cars and a Lexus RX 350.

The two harpists have minivans, one a Sienna and the other a Pacifica.

I cannot advise personally, as my people are tall but we leave the drum kit at home and never need room for more than 3 people + camping gear for a weekend. The tuba guy (who also teaches band, so pretty familiar with lots of instruments) suggests you visit CarGuru.com and Doug Demuro (tall auto reviewer) on YouTube.

Edited by 73349

I have heard that the Buick Enclave is comfy for very tall people. It seats 7 and has some nice configurations for cargo. I think 3 people and a double bass would work. It might be worth going to a chevy dealership with your kids and the double bass, do some test driving, and take a tape measure so you can see how much headroom is left above the boys. I think there are some good adjustments for the seats so it might be possible to create legroom, and the steering wheel is adjustable for both tall and short folks. It is a more upscale model than the Equinox and roomier.

14 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I have heard that the Buick Enclave is comfy for very tall people. It seats 7 and has some nice configurations for cargo. I think 3 people and a double bass would work. It might be worth going to a chevy dealership with your kids and the double bass, do some test driving, and take a tape measure so you can see how much headroom is left above the boys. I think there are some good adjustments for the seats so it might be possible to create legroom, and the steering wheel is adjustable for both tall and short folks. It is a more upscale model than the Equinox and roomier.

Just to be clear, I need to fit 3 passengers, and a driver and the bass.  So 4 people.  

I'm going to stuff the bass gig bag with laundry and take that because I am having visions of some car salesman trying to force a door closed or something.  I'm pretty sure it is the second most expensive thing our family owns, with our house as the first.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drama Llama said:

Just to be clear, I need to fit 3 passengers, and a driver and the bass.  So 4 people.  

I'm going to stuff the bass gig bag with laundry and take that because I am having visions of some car salesman trying to force a door closed or something.  I'm pretty sure it is the second most expensive thing our family owns, with our house as the first.  

do you need to even stuff it with laundry?  wouldn't an empty case work fine?  (I wouldn't take the actual instrument either)

20 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

do you need to even stuff it with laundry?  wouldn't an empty case work fine?  (I wouldn't take the actual instrument either)

It's probably a soft case, needs something in it to give it form.

• Like 2

If you would consider a full-size van, I drive a mid-roof (tall but not the tallest option) Ford Transit. The 10 passenger version minus the back row of seats would be fantastic for transporting tall people + large instruments, and there are a variety of seat configuration options.

• Like 1

I have to carry a cello and just down sizes to a Chevy traverse from a 15 passenger van.  We have to fold one seat but the other two can stay up. I don't know anything that has enough trunk space with no folding.  

Someone upthread asked about tall people in the 3rd row of an Odyssey. They fit fine. We have a 8 passenger and to haul lots of cargo we fold down either one seat or two in the back, and we can pop out any of the seats (sides or middle) to accommodate really long stuff. I hauled 8’ long stuff in it this week by fitting the end between the driver and passenger seats. 

I can parallel park it just fine, but anything large enough to fit a bass + people by volume by definition has to be large and therefore a PITA to drive in the city. 

That said, I can haul amazing amounts of tall people and gear in the thing, and do quite regularly. My biggest person is 6’3”, 220lb and easily fits in any of the back seats. I regularly have 3 people over 6’ sitting across the back row. The middle row middle seat is the smallest, but the issue there is width, not height. We usually have its top down flipped to the console side unless we need all 8 seats.

17 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

Oh, I can totally understand that! I had a flight attendant one time want to take my sterling Yamaha flute from my hands and stash it wherever over head. I held tight and said I would be keeping it under the seat in front of me with my feet holding it nice and tight in place. And I doubt though it was a very high end flute, it was not nearly as expensive as your double bass!

Also, if you can get a seat with lower lumbar adjustment, I highly recommend that. My 6'2" son says a lot of seats do not fit his back well. He likes our equinox for driving because it is one of the models that have that adjustment, and he can make it support his lower back much better than our Sienna. Since you have a son who will learn drive on it, this might be another good consideration.