Menu

If you have kids in public school, is anyone masking?

MercyA

DD15 has COVID. She's fully vaxxed and is doing very well. She's going to need to mask for a while when she returns to school. She's okay with it, and if it were entirely up to her, she would choose to do it. She's very conscientious.

However, when I asked her if anyone else at school masked, she said she has only seen one teacher and *maybe* one student mask all year. The teacher has a serious health condition.

She admitted she is a little nervous about it. She hasn't found her tribe yet and this probably will not help. 😞 I'm also frankly worried that it's going to embarrass her one friend, who comes from an anti-masking family.

She is committed to doing the right thing and she will follow current CDC recommendations. 

I'm curious. Are high schoolers and/or teachers masking where you are?

Please send prayers and good thoughts for DD.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

I rarely see anyone masking here anymore.  No kids when the schools let out, no one in the stores, nothing.

One ds was teaching high school on the East coast and said no one was masking there either.

I've stopped unless I'm in the gym and I hear sick noises near equipment I want to use.  I carry a mask with me everywhere I go.  But I don't use them much.

We all just had Covid a few weeks ago here in our house, but we're all recovered now.  (dh is vaxxed, 2 sons and I are not vaxxed - we all had exact same symptoms and recovery times)

• Thanks 1

I asked my senior, and she says there is one kid in the school who is masking this year.  Last year, my kid masked at least in hallways and in math class because her teacher had cancer, though nobody else did.  But no, not really.  

ETA:  I am still masking when I go places that masking doesn't impede what I'm doing.  So I don't mask at work, if we go into a restaurant, or at the gym.  But I do mask at pretty much all stores, and I wear a KN95 at the pharmacy or any medical appointments or places that sound like there are people ill.  I keep a mask on me at school in case any of my kids are acting sick, but my parents have been really, really good about keeping kids home.  I almost never see anyone else masking, though, except sometimes at the pharmacy.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was surprised that very few people were masking at my last cancer checkup.  It's at a large university medical center and even the staff and docs weren't masking.  And that was in October, 2023.

Edited by kathyl
  • Sad 5

I mask when out in public, and I mask when up close to students. I run air purifiers in my classroom, and will take my mask off if I'm giving instructions and I'm across the room, so I can be heard better, plus we have building-wide HEPA because they used Covid relief funds to replace an HVAC system installed in the 1960's. CO2 in my room runs about 650. 

I go to the Asian grocery and buy cute KN95's for me and the kids, and about half my students mask when they're in my room still, and I ask that if someone in your household is sick, please mask or stay home-and if you're sick, stay home!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Around here it’s a very small minority, but not weird. Like, it would be common for most classes to have one person who is masked. People also seem to be getting better about putting one on when they return after illness. No one seems to bother people who are masked at all. I expect that’s highly regional though. It’s too bad some people think it’s political rather than medical and make their decisions/judgements accordingly. 

I wish your daughter didn’t have this to worry about, Mercy. I’ve found that, other than for people who have strong political feelings about masking, most people respond well if the person wearing the mask is presenting themselves as completely confident and friendly. People seem to follow that lead and ignore the mask.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ds is in a very diverse public charter school. Definitely some still masking, though some of those ineffectively (cloth masks or masks not covering mouth an nose).  Teachers and staff sometimes masked, when coming back after an illness or with an important event coming up or with sick family members. 

• Thanks 1

In the high school where I work, a small handful of students (maybe 10) mask regularly and two teachers mask always. However, there are always a few students or teachers who are masking because they have just returned from having covid. 

Edited by Longtime Lurker
  • Thanks 1

My dd is in 5th grade at a hybrid school (noon-4, 2 days per week) and is the only one masked there. At the science center homeschool classes, about 1/3 are masked. At UU church, about 50% (lots of old ladies, but not just them) are masked. Totally depends on the group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Around here it's a small minority but not weird. I was in our high school on Friday and saw a couple teachers and maybe ~10 kids as I went through just one hall in just one part of the building. And I was at a large community program this afternoon, maybe 200+ people, and maybe 20? were masking. I know several of the ones masking; I know one had COVID a week ago, another has a very immunocompromised husband at home, and two are pulmonary physicians who don't want to transmit exposure to their patients.

There were visibly more people around town who were masking in Dec-early Jan when both Covid and regular flu cases spiked.

I hope the culture has shifted sufficiently we DO continue to mask when we know or suspect we might be contagious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live in an area that was super compliant with masking for quite a while. I work at a community college now and only see a smattering of masking. It seems that people are wearing them when they’re sick, high risk, or very covid-wary. I see several a day but it’s a small percentage. 

Medical facilities have gone back to mandatory masking. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Thanks 1

My dd does, in the classrooms, but not in the trades buildings or outside at break; but mostly she sits by herself navel gazing at break times.

She says there are very few others who are still masking, but she shares a house with an emergency services worker, so it's not manners to bring home covid if she can help it.

6 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Thanks all. That's interesting.

She should wear a mask, right? I feel in need of reassurance. :blush:

I would ask the school nurse what the current guidance is. I’ve heard physicians recently argue it’s better to now treat it like a cold and not test at all unless you need medical attention. But idk what the current guidelines are. 

Edited by Katy
Typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

My kids are not in school, but yes, some students and some teachers are still masking here.  One of my friends is a teacher who is a bit hard of hearing (he  reads lips to help augment his hearing). He was just talking this weekend about some kids masking still. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Thanks all. That's interesting.

She should wear a mask, right? I feel in need of reassurance. :blush:

Honestly, yes, she should.  Although if she tests negative on two rapids taken 48 hours apart, I might feel comfortable with her not masking.  But otherwise, yes, for sure.  

Even if it were just a cold, nobody wants even that, but it is not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, Katy said:

I would ask the school nurse what the current guidance is. I’ve heard physicians recently argue it’s better to now treat it like a cold and not test at all unless you need medical attention. But idk what the current guidelines are. 

We used the CDC quarantine calculator, which has her staying home 5 days after her first symptoms. She can then go back as long as she has not had a fever in 24 hours and her symptoms are improving. She is supposed to be able to go back Tuesday but the guidance is for her to mask at least 3 days. If she continues testing positive, she is supposed to continue masking after that as well.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, 2squared said:

No one in our schools wears masks. Covid is treated like a cold, so no one would mask if they were returning from being sick. 

Someone posted this excellent article in another thread:

https://www.donotpanic.news/p/why-covid-can-never-be-just-a-cold

No other coronavirus or other cold virus is capable of affecting multiple organs like COVID. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

In our area most people aren't masking. There may be one or two people who are masking in an indoor space with lots of people. People who work medical care and other people facing occupations are more half and half. Amongst my friends I know if kids are congested (even bad allergies) many of them will put them in a mask. Honestly masking when you are sick feels like just good practice to us even if it's not COVID. There are some parents who will steer their children away from your child if your child is sniffly (that's why people will mask children who just have bad allergies). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There are probably dozens of kids at her school right now carrying the covid virus and not masking. At this point I really doubt she is benefitting anyone at all by masking.

If she were visiting someone with low immunity, I would still have her mask. But at school? I don't think there is any benefit at all--to anyone--that would offset potential social awkwardness. Anyone who might possibly be exposed by her has a very high probability of being exposed the same week to several other people carrying the virus. You are keeping her home through the most infectious stage. I genuinely think that is enough. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

No other coronavirus or other cold virus is capable of affecting multiple organs like COVID. 

Thank you for sharing this here—I was on my way to find the link to share myself. It’s exceedingly distressing for the millions living with post Covid conditions to have people telling others not to worry “it’s just a cold.”  Unfortunately, it’s not. 

41 minutes ago, maize said:

There are probably dozens of kids at her school right now carrying the covid virus and not masking. At this point I really doubt she is benefitting anyone at all by masking.

If she were visiting someone with low immunity, I would still have her mask. But at school? 

Every person who doesn’t spread it themself stops a chain that is likely to disable many along the way. To me the logic would be like telling people it’s fine to drink and drive on New Year’s Eve because there’s so many other drunk people on the road that what’s one more? 

The advice that sick people only need to wear a mask if they’re around people who are immune compromised sends a clear message that immune compromised and other high risk people are expected to just stay in their homes because no one else is willing to make any allowances or inconvenience themself at all for them. The sad irony people don’t realize is that a portion of them will be joining the ranks of those on the other side and likely will see it differently then 😞

Edited by KSera
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

I realize it’s not the same as a cold, but reality in my school district is that Covid is treated like a cold. No one is wearing masks and no one is testing for Covid. The school isn’t asking or suggesting or even thinking about it other than like a cold or any other illness. 

I tell my students that a cold can make me sick for a long time, and then no one gets music class while I'm out, so please wear a mask if you’re feeling sick or have been around someone who is, and that I am doing everything I can to keep the air clean and as safe as possible.  I don't stress COVID. 

And it's true. I haven't missed a day due to personal illness since 2019. Masking and cleaning the air and having kids wash hands before touching the instruments has made a difference-so I see no reason to change that. 

I do think that getting masks with dinosaurs, pandas, unicorns, camouflage, tie-dye and in bright colors helps, because the kids seem to have almost as much fun picking a cool mask each time as they do a cool sticker at the end of a lesson, and the cost of the masks is a minor expense compared to the cost of being sick. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 2squared said:

I realize it’s not the same as a cold, but reality in my school district is that Covid is treated like a cold. No one is wearing masks and no one is testing for Covid. The school isn’t asking or suggesting or even thinking about it other than like a cold or any other illness. 

Well, they may be thinking that, but they’re wrong. Official CDC guidance is still wearing a high quality mask until at least day 11:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/isolation.html

In fact, they’ve now updated them to say that masks should continue to be worn past day 10 for those still testing positive:

IMG_4581.jpeg

IMG_4582.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, KSera said:

Every person who doesn’t spread it themself stops a chain that is likely to disable many along the way. To me the logic would be like telling people it’s fine to drink and drive on New Year’s Eve because there’s so many other drunk people on the road that what’s one more? 

The advice that sick people only need to wear a mask if they’re around people who are immune compromised sends a clear message that immune compromised and other high risk people are expected to just stay in their homes because no one else is willing to make any allowances or inconvenience themself at all for them. The sad irony people don’t realize is that a portion of them will be joining the ranks of those on the other side and likely will see it differently then 😞

This made a lot of sense in 2020.

At this point, the virus is endemic and is being treated as such. Yes, I can potentially avoid infecting someone this week--but how much difference does that make if their chances of being infected within the next 6 months are 99.999%? There is a genuine epidemiological argument to be made for regular ongoing exposure to keep our immunity high and prevent what seems to have happened with RSV where a period of unexposure resulted in much higher levels of severe illness later.

My perspective is pragmatic not ideal because we live in a pragmatic and not an ideal world.

1 minute ago, KSera said:

Well, they may be thinking that, but they’re wrong. Official CDC guidance is still wearing a high quality mask until at least day 11:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/isolation.html

In fact, they’ve now updated them to say that masks should continue to be worn past day 10 for those still testing positive:

IMG_4581.jpeg

IMG_4582.png

Thanks for the lecture.  I’m answering the question the OP asked. My kids are split between the local private K-8 school and the public K-12 school, and no one will see a mask in either school in the 2023-24 school year. The school website doesn’t mention Covid, and no one is testing for it. 

I guess I’m pragmatic with @maize

23 minutes ago, maize said:

This made a lot of sense in 2020.

At this point, the virus is endemic and is being treated as such. Yes, I can potentially avoid infecting someone this week--but how much difference does that make if their chances of being infected within the next 6 months are 99.999%? There is a genuine epidemiological argument to be made for regular ongoing exposure to keep our immunity high

Endemic doesn’t mean not dangerous. The endemic narrative and immunity debt myth have both been really successful in being passed along. It makes no sense to say the reason someone should get an illness is to give them immunity to prevent the illness. Then you’ve had the illness (and don’t even have immunity to getting it again).  And we know the more times someone gets Covid, the higher their chances of long term sequelae. It damages organs, vasculature and the immune system. I’m not sure why so many people just don’t think it could ever affect them or their family members. 

eta: we’re only talking about a few days in a mask (three in this case, no more than 5 for people returning day 6) for someone who knows they are contagious with Covid. It’s not even an argument about always masking. The fact that so many people find  this an excessive ask is pretty depressing, honestly. 

etaa: I can appreciate that areas of the country where masks have been made such a big deal that people feel this way is probably not your fault. But it’s sad that it hasn’t been made standard practice to protect people from a risky illness when you know you have it. 

Edited by KSera
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, KSera said:

Endemic doesn’t mean not dangerous. The endemic narrative and immunity debt myth have both been really successful in being passed along. It makes no sense to say the reason someone should get an illness is to give them immunity to prevent the illness. Then you’ve had the illness (and don’t even have immunity to getting it again).  And we know the more times someone gets Covid, the higher their chances of long term sequelae. It damages organs, vasculature and the immune system. I’m not sure why so many people just don’t think it could ever affect them or their family members. 

eta: we’re only talking about a few days in a mask (three in this case, no more than 5 for people returning day 6) for someone who knows they are contagious with Covid. It’s not even an argument about always masking. The fact that so many people find  this an excessive ask is pretty depressing, honestly. 

etaa: I can appreciate that areas of the country where masks have been made such a big deal that people feel this way is probably not your fault. But it’s sad that it hasn’t been made standard practice to protect people from a risky illness when you know you have it. 

I'm curious to know what you think of what happened with RSV. Cases dropped drastically in 2020-21, and when infections came back they were making much larger numbers of people severely sick. Immune boosting from regular small exposures is a real thing.  

No, endemic doesn't mean not dangerous.  RSV can be very dangerous.  It turns out it is MORE dangerous if people are exposed to it after a significant break from exposures. It's possible something similar could happen with covid.

At this point I think our data on that is limited, the the simple truth is that in many areas no-one is masking, viruses are spreading freely, and I can't change that by masking. I was hugely in favor of masks prior to vaccine availability, and even after vaccine availability prior to the spread of the newer more contagious variants that spread like wildfire everywhere. There are still situations when I think it makes a lot of sense to mask. But if I told myself that me masking, in an environment where no one is masking, was saving lives at this point in time I'd be blatantly ignoring reality. 

Think of it this way: let's say there are 10,000 people in my city. Of those, 100 currently have covid. Of those 100, 1 person masks and doesn't expose anyone else. 99 don't mask and each exposes 10 more people, of whom 2 develop an infection and expose 10 more people, infecting 2. How long does it take before all 10,000 have been exposed? How long before all 10,000 have been exposed 100 times over? Did it ultimately matter that 1 person didn't expose anyone?

That's the reality where I live and frankly in most of the country. I genuinely don't know if, at this point, it is better or worse to experience regular subinfectious exposure, but I'm hoping it may do some good because all the exposures are happening and nothing I do will change that.

2 minutes ago, maize said:

I'm curious to know what you think of what happened with RSV. Cases dropped drastically in 2020-21, and when infections came back they were making much larger numbers of people severely sick. Immune boosting from regular small exposures is a real thing.  

No one can say for sure at this point, but there are many theories. Part of it is almost surely that people who would have gotten sick in 2020-21 got sick in 2022-23 instead, meaning more people at the same time rather than spread out. It’s also been demonstrated in many studies that Covid dysregulates the immune system.  My own hypothesis (shared by many) is that people are getting sicker because their bodies are damaged from Covid. We *know* Covid is causing damage throughout the body, why would we not think it likely people would be getting sick more often due to that? You know how measles infection wipes out immune memory? That’s one potential mechanism that may be contributing as well.  There was a study done that showed elderly people with an omicron infection were more likely to get another omicron infection than a control group that hadn’t had omicron. That may or may not extend to other ages (elderly people in care homes are easier to study for things like this because they are being monitored). We’re now several years out from the time when everyone was staying home and 2+ years from everyone masking. The high rates of illness we’re still seeing no longer make sense to blame on “lockdown”. (Some parts of the country masked much longer than others, and we’re not seen that illness rates are higher in those areas than in parts that dropped masks very early.)

Mercy— I feel bad about this thread hijack that I feel like is largely my fault. Sorry about that when your dd is facing what is an actual social dilemma of consequence to her. I do feel badly that she’s in that position and wish people would be kinder and more thoughtful and it wouldn’t be a problem. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My kids still mask at school.  There are very few others.

Of course masking is the right thing to do when ill with a contagious acute viral respiratory infection.  Whether covid, flu, or other respiratory virus.  Just like covering coughs and sneezes, and washing hands is the right thing to do.  It would be much more effective if everyone did it, but just because most don't doesn't mean one shouldn't.  For my kids and I, it's enough to know that we, personally, aren't making others sick.

(ETA: Covid is still landing plenty of people in hospital, and still killing some of them.  In Ontario, we've had >6000 hospitalizations and >950 deaths since August.  Flu disappeared for more than a year back when we were all masking.  Now it's back, with more >3000 hospitalizations in Canada since August 2023.  It's important to my kids and I that we, personally,  aren't making others sick, hospitalized or dead, over a simple thing like wearing a mask in public when ill)

Edited by wathe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Like some others have said, masking is low around me, but not unusual. It actually didn’t register in my head that my cashier was wearing a mask yesterday until my transaction was almost done, and then I remembered that I had meant to wear one!

I really appreciate anyone who masks, particularly when they’re not 100%. I recently traveled to my stepdad, who really can’t handle more risk. Though I masked, the people on planes and trains around me did not. THEN I came home and was with a medically fragile friend. Though both of us masked, it was nerve wracking to find out the next day that my sister, who I had been with a few days earlier, had Covid.  
I’m not too terribly worried about getting it or anything else myself (not that I want it, lol), but I’m terrified of spreading it to people who are at higher risk! So I thank anyone who takes precautions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Everyone coming back from having Covid us masking because our schools are following the “stay home 5days”, mask for 10 guidelines. It’s not optional.

So it’s routine for people to be masked for a few days here and there.

A few others are masking full time.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, maize said:

If she were visiting someone with low immunity, I would still have her mask. But at school? I don't think there is any benefit at all--to anyone--that would offset potential social awkwardness. Anyone who might possibly be exposed by her has a very high probability of being exposed the same week to several other people carrying the virus. You are keeping her home through the most infectious stage. I genuinely think that is enough. 

And this is why my children and myself as a teacher keep getting covid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

My 19 yr old masks in class (not high school, though), and my kids mask in crowded indoor places still. We generally see one or two masked persons when we are out and about. I hear that very few, if any, mask at the public schools, though I would hope that they at least follow the ten day guideline.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, KSera said:

Mercy— I feel bad about this thread hijack that I feel like is largely my fault. Sorry about that when your dd is facing what is an actual social dilemma of consequence to her. I do feel badly that she’s in that position and wish people would be kinder and more thoughtful and it wouldn’t be a problem. 

Goodness, don't apologize! This is all hugely helpful to me. I'm glad that you and @maize and others are sharing their perspectives.

It is rough. DD is doing very well in school overall, but the social situation is touchy.

[deleted for privacy]

Edited by MercyA
  • Sad 5

Around here there are students who mask when returning from illness as your dd is planning to do. There are a couple of older staff members who always mask. Teachers definitely mask when they have a cold or something (I think most test and wouldn't be in school with Covid, but it's hard to be absent so they will teach if feeling ok and testing negative but obviously have something like a cold. But masked).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SKL said:

If wearing a mask is going to be that detrimental, perhaps it would be better for your dd to stay home a few more days.

Don't think I haven't thought about it. Unfortunately finals are next week, and she must be at school to complete her final art project. The timing is not great.

Edited by MercyA