Menu

Anyone Traveling for the Eclipse?

JustEm

Our house will be in totality, but dd is getting married the prior Saturday in another state and we won't be back in time to see it. I'm kinda bummed about it because I was really excited to explain it/watch it with my class at school. 

• Sad 1

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are driving 14 hours to San Antonio. We used to live there--have friends there. Better chances of clear skies. SA will be base camp, and we'll drive somewhere to be in totality. I'm still figuring that part out. I'm hoping some of my friends will have a contact with property or at least know of a good spot. 

We saw the last one in Dayton, TN, the least friendly small town in America. lol 

I hope no one here is from Dayton. 😜 I'm sure there are plenty of friendly people there. 

I cannot wait! My eclipse glasses were delivered today!

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

Both of our fathers live in the path of totality. We will go to my dad's place, because it's a small town that will receive less traffic. About two hours from where we live. I've asked for the day off of work, and we plan to let our 12th graders skip school for the day.

I work on a campus that is near totality, but I've already given my notice that I'll be taking the day off. This will be the last total eclipse (without traveling) of my lifetime unless I'm longer lived than I expect to be, so we three in the household will be driving to a place of totality and enjoying it in quiet.  I remember the party atmosphere of a college campus during a partial during my college years, and I've happily sponsored many a star party for homeschoolers. This time I'm ready to quietly enjoy the intensity of the occasion. If grandkids were willing, I'd do it with them, but my kids are not interested. (Too many star parties, I guess.)  

• Like 5

Finally got dh and dudeling booked.  wow those were expensive!  even with a companion fare!  they were absurdly expensive.  
I'm flying down earlier, and staying longer so I will miss out on the worst of the absurd ticket prices.  

May be able to skip a hotel since 1&2dss don't fly in until bright and early sunday morning, and take off bright and early tuesday morning . . . (we have a hotel Sunday night closer to the center, and further away from population centers. 2dd lives on the very edge.)

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I know this is an old thread, but is anyone affected by the updated eclipse maps with slightly shifted totality? It seems the change is more pronounced in Texas.

This is the first I've heard of it.  I think we're closer to the edge than before . . . .  

Dh started "expressing concern" at the weather reports, and has been talking about cancelling his tickets for him and dudeling . . . 

57 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I know this is an old thread, but is anyone affected by the updated eclipse maps with slightly shifted totality? It seems the change is more pronounced in Texas.

Can you link this?

Ds and I are doing a workshop in Vermont over the weekend then driving partway home and stopping overnight. We'll then drive 1.5 hours north into the totality path. I'm a little concerned about traffic but more concerned about the snowstorm coming tomorrow leaving heavy wet snow across the northern part of the state and whether all the folks who have booked hotel rooms will be able to arrive safely.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2024 at 7:41 AM, CTVKath said:

were able to see the shadow of night pass over the valley

A friend and I were just debating whether this could be visible yesterday - how interesting!

1 hour ago, Eos said:

Ds and I are doing a workshop in Vermont over the weekend then driving partway home and stopping overnight. We'll then drive 1.5 hours north into the totality path. I'm a little concerned about traffic but more concerned about the snowstorm coming tomorrow leaving heavy wet snow across the northern part of the state and whether all the folks who have booked hotel rooms will be able to arrive safely.

Stay safe! This storm looks like it could be a Big One, and eclipse traffic is going to be madness. Do you already have a place to stay on the way home? 

I'll be hunkering in hiding under my bed. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Stay safe! This storm looks like it could be a Big One, and eclipse traffic is going to be madness. Do you already have a place to stay on the way home? 

I'll be hunkering in hiding under my bed. 

We're car camping in a friend's yard, so yes 🙂 

Getting home afterwards seems like the biggest hassle so we might fake them out by going north then cutting over to the coast. Gazeteer, take me home!

• Haha 1

Four of our kids, 2 grandkids, a brother, and 11 of one kids' friends are coming to our not-quite-totality home.

We had totality in 2017, and it was brief, but memorable.
It's worth making a SMALL trip.

Yes, there will be traffic.  But hopefully not Clouds!

Here's the U.S. Navy Website, showing length of totality at any location (you provide Longitude/Latitude, which you can google):

https://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/SolarEclipses

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We leave from Alabama Friday for the Heber Springs, remote, country house we rented. We are leaving early and expecting it to take more than the average 5.5-6 hrs to get there because everyone will be on the road getting to their eclipse locations. We are also packing ALL of our food, every single ingredient we can think of plus snacks for the kids. I am baking tomorrow, bread muffins, and biscuits. That county which is rural and not a big population so not a huge infrastructure is now expecting a million visitors! We do not want to forget anything and have to go to town. 

6 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

We are going to AR to visit family and staying for the eclipse. They are dreading the traffic.  

So are we. It’s supposed to be cloudy that day. Hopefully we will be able to get a bit of sun just long enough to see it. 

Ds’s alma mater is in the final four, so that will be exciting, at least. We won’t be leaving the house to do any sight seeing otherwise, because of traffic. We’ll just be finding backroads to get to a good spot for the eclipse. It will still be a fun road trip.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Beth S said:

Four of our kids, 2 grandkids, a brother, and 11 of one kids' friends are coming to our not-quite-totality home.

We had totality in 2017, and it was brief, but memorable.
It's worth making a SMALL trip.

Yes, there will be traffic.  But hopefully not Clouds!

Here's the U.S. Navy Website, showing length of totality at any location (you provide Longitude/Latitude, which you can google):

https://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/SolarEclipses

Thanks for the link.  I wasn't sure how long totality would last where we're staying, but our Airbnb will have two minutes of totality so we can either stay there or drive a bit if we want a longer time (or if the weather forecast looks better elsewhere).  

We're driving to Ohio on Saturday and back home on Tuesday.  Hoping to miss at least some of the awful traffic that way, and we have lots of routes back home that we can take.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eos said:

We're car camping in a friend's yard, so yes 🙂 

Getting home afterwards seems like the biggest hassle so we might fake them out by going north then cutting over to the coast. Gazeteer, take me home!

So.... go half a mile down the road that leads out of town, then make a sharp left and  another immediate left and go a quarter mile. Turn at the big white barn for two miles. At the gravel pit, veer left. In another quarter mile turn left again at the junction. Yes, you have now gone in a circle. Take a right where the old Moody family used to live and go three miles, then turn onto the 9. Either direction works because the 9 goes everywhere in this state and yet nowhere at all, from my estimation. Eventually you will take enough roads and directions you'll feel hopelessly lost but you'll stumble into Lewiston. Somehow that never fails. Unless you're feeling brave, jump on the 95. 😅

• Haha 6

All of our local districts finally decided to let us use a leftover snow day for the eclipse, so we’re off all day now 🙂 just gotta get through the snowstorm tomorrow first!

We’ve invited my parents and brothers family to our backyard deck/ hot tub to watch. 

☀️ 🌚 

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

We're still trying to pinpoint a location in totality to head to. We've got a few towns in mind but will likely just decide the day before when everyone we're seeing it with us at the airbnb

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Yikes!

We’re supposed to be pretty swamped too. We’d like to drive 20 minutes or so for longer totality, but we aren’t sure how bad the traffic will be. 

Same. We just want to find some random hole in the ground that nobody knows about, see it, and get home. I don’t know that that’s even possible.

• Like 4

I'm just now reading this as our plans have changed.  We were supposed to fly into Indianapolis for a swim meet Monday night but we are now driving.  We are leaving VA early that morning and I think we will arrive in Dayton, OH in time for the eclipse. Reading this thread, it looks like after the eclipse, to continue on to Indianapolis, the traffic is likely to be horrendous.  Or maybe it won't be too bad since we are still driving towards where the eclipse was?  Thoughts?   

Honesty, initially I never even thought about being in Indianapolis at the same time as the eclipse, my husband is the one who mentioned it was the same time LOL

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

Same. We just want to find some random hole in the ground that nobody knows about, see it, and get home. I don’t know that that’s even possible.

It might be possible.  We did that last time pretty much accidentally. My dad had found a Walmart in the town Sparta, TN that we were planning to park and watch it at with bathroom access.  When we rolled up early that morning the parking lot was jam packed already.  Luckily, my brother had driven into the town earlier that morning to work from the library.  They were having an eclipse party and it was the perfect amount of people and fun to experience it with. Not an overwhelming amount of people at all. 

I fear we won't find that this time around.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, zimom said:

I'm just now reading this as our plans have changed.  We were supposed to fly into Indianapolis for a swim meet Monday night but we are now driving.  We are leaving VA early that morning and I think we will arrive in Dayton, OH in time for the eclipse. Reading this thread, it looks like after the eclipse, to continue on to Indianapolis, the traffic is likely to be horrendous.  Or maybe it won't be too bad since we are still driving towards where the eclipse was?  Thoughts?   

Honesty, initially I never even thought about being in Indianapolis at the same time as the eclipse, my husband is the one who mentioned it was the same time LOL

You could try 35W if it looks like the freeway is jam packed going west. I don't have my atlas at hand, but if my memory is accurate, you can pick it up in OH and transit through Indiana, go up round Muncie and into Kokomo. Might be worth looking at map though. That side of the state is not in the path of totality so I think traveling west bound towards Indianapolis on side roads might be okay from Ohio.

Last time we basically drove and hour across town to get 2+ minutes of totality. This time it looks like we will be driving 2 hours to Paducah, KY for 4+ minutes. I am hoping that Paducah will not be a hot spot for activity. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

Last time we basically drove and hour across town to get 2+ minutes of totality. This time it looks like we will be driving 2 hours to Paducah, KY for 4+ minutes. I am hoping that Paducah will not be a hot spot for activity. 

Paducah is only getting roughly 1 min and 30 secs from my understanding. We considered it but will be driving into Indiana instead to get to a longer amount of totality 

• Like 2

This is absolutely crazy!!! We are currently planning to drive 6 hours to Memphis on Saturday and find a hotel. Then get up early on Monday, check the weather and cloud cover, then drive 2-3 hours somewhere to see the eclipse!!!! I'm not usually a no reservation person but after getting cloud cover in 2017, we aren't taking any chances.....  I will have plenty of food, water and a camping toilet in the back of the truck.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CTVKath said:

This is absolutely crazy!!! We are currently planning to drive 6 hours to Memphis on Saturday and find a hotel. Then get up early on Monday, check the weather and cloud cover, then drive 2-3 hours somewhere to see the eclipse!!!! I'm not usually a no reservation person but after getting cloud cover in 2017, we aren't taking any chances.....  I will have plenty of food, water and a camping toilet in the back of the truck.

All the hotels etc along the path of totality my state have been booked solid for months and longer, and charging outrageous prices. Hours and hours away from absolutely nowhere. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

We saw the last eclipse from outside our house.  But we are driving to Paducah (also 2 hrs away) as well for this one.  Not sure where, exactly, in Paducah we should go, though.  Also trying to figure out what time to leave in the morning -- I assume that the traffic will be ghastly, especially coming back.

• Like 1

Let me just say that as we see more and more people posting online their disappointment at not being able to find lodging last minute, I am so glad we booked ours 3 years ago. We had to message the Vrbo owners to see if they would agree to a booking that far out, and greased the skids by inviting them over on eclipse day for barbecue and viewing. They seem like great people! We have the guest house on their working farm.

It is only 9:34am CST, and I am already tired of the packing. I am helping Dd get caught up on laundry, baking muffins to take, baking bread, making pasta salad for the picnic tomorrow, and turning the now washed muffin tins into charcuterie for the kids for tomorrow.Thankfully those little guys will eat off nuts, fruit, cucumber bites, carrots, and cheese all day every day so picnic will be easy. Then I have to run for a grocery order so we can take every single thing with us. The owners of the farm told us to fill up the cars right before we get there because their county and a couple neighboring ones are expecting to be out of gas by Monday, and the grocery stores have warned they cannot handle the influx of folks. When I get back from the grocery run, I have to make biscuits and put together the homemade pancake mix.

Why did I think Papa Mark and Marmee Astronomy Camp was a good idea????? 😱

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Paducah is only getting roughly 1 min and 30 secs from my understanding. We considered it but will be driving into Indiana instead to get to a longer amount of totality 

Ok thanks for this. I got that info second hand and had planned to double check it. My hubby just informed me that he is looking at other places.

• Like 1

We have a foot of snow here today and on a whim I called a hunting camp up north to see if they had any cancellations, which they had. So now we have a place to stay that won't be cold car camping and a friend has gifted me some moose steak to take with us. I have small round potatoes and small round white onions to make an eclipse meal, now thinking of an eclipse-themed dessert. Might be a Pavlova with a dusting of cocoa.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, CTVKath said:

Hotels are booked in and near the totality. I wouldn't count on being able to find one.

• Like 4

I had it all planned out to stay at home, nice and safe, with full fridges and full gas tanks because we’re in the totality path, but at the last minute we have no choice to go out of town though still in the path.  We overpaid for a hotel room walkable to where we have to be to avoid traffic and I’m just planning on bringing enough food for the hotel in case there are no restaurants open.  We’re also staying an extra night to avoid traffic jams.  

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

I had it all planned out to stay at home, nice and safe, with full fridges and full gas tanks because we’re in the totality path, but at the last minute we have no choice to go out of town though still in the path.  We overpaid for a hotel room walkable to where we have to be to avoid traffic and I’m just planning on bringing enough food for the hotel in case there are no restaurants open.  We’re also staying an extra night to avoid traffic jams.  

Between today's storm and the sheer volume of people headed deep into the rural hinterlands in western and northern Maine, I worry about supplies. I don't think most people understand how limited food, gas and things like public bathrooms are, so I sure hope they are planning ahead! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Eos said:

We have a foot of snow here today and on a whim I called a hunting camp up north to see if they had any cancellations, which they had. So now we have a place to stay that won't be cold car camping and a friend has gifted me some moose steak to take with us. I have small round potatoes and small round white onions to make an eclipse meal, now thinking of an eclipse-themed dessert. Might be a Pavlova with a dusting of cocoa.

Great news! I was kinda worried about you sleeping in the car in all this snow. Now you'll be cozy and warm and have a fancy Maine feast to celebrate! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JennyD said:

We saw the last eclipse from outside our house.  But we are driving to Paducah (also 2 hrs away) as well for this one.  Not sure where, exactly, in Paducah we should go, though.  Also trying to figure out what time to leave in the morning -- I assume that the traffic will be ghastly, especially coming back.

Paducah (roughly 1:45+ of totality) is hosting a Downtown Eclipse Festival, near the Riverfront.  It will be well attended.  The McCracken County Library is hosting an Eclipse Watch on their lawn, which may be a smaller crowd.  The patch of grass is about 100 ft x 100 ft there.  The challenge is that there are only 2 bridges from Paducah across the Ohio River, north into southern Illinois (where the Totality is up to 4 minutes). The main bridge is on Interstate 24, and has 2 lanes each direction.  The Brookport Bridge (the backup bridge) is a beautiful 1929 Blue Truss Bridge, with only 1 lane in either direction.    Legend is that you can drop a soda can down between the gaps in the trusses.  In reality, it is totally safe, but it's not for the faint-of-heart.  You are driving on the steel trusses, not asphalt (photo).

My guess is there will be a big backup on Interstate 24 as you drive past Paducah and seek to enter Southern Illinois. Totality at Carbondale is about 4 minutes.     I'm local & happy to answer questions.  Today our local Walmart only had about 50 eclipse sunglasses left, so I'd plan to bring your own, if you can!

Link to "X Marks the Spot" Eclipse Festival Info (Paducah has totality in both 2017 & 2024) = https://www.paducah.travel/event/x-marks-the-spot%3a-total-eclipse-festival/34424/

Brookport Bridge.jpg

2017-2024Paths.jpg

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Beth S said:

Paducah (roughly 1:45+ of totality) is hosting a Downtown Eclipse Festival, near the Riverfront.  It will be well attended.  The McCracken County Library is hosting an Eclipse Watch on their lawn, which may be a smaller crowd.  The patch of grass is about 100 ft x 100 ft there.  The challenge is that there are only 2 bridges from Paducah across the Ohio River, north into southern Illinois (where the Totality is up to 4 minutes). The main bridge is on Interstate 24, and has 2 lanes each direction.  The Brookport Bridge (the backup bridge) is a beautiful 1929 Blue Truss Bridge, with only 1 lane in either direction.    Legend is that you can drop a soda can down between the gaps in the trusses.  In reality, it is totally safe, but it's not for the faint-of-heart.  You are driving on the steel trusses, not asphalt (photo).

My guess is there will be a big backup on Interstate 24 as you drive past Paducah and seek to enter Southern Illinois. Totality at Carbondale is about 4 minutes.     I'm local & happy to answer questions.  Today our local Walmart only had about 50 eclipse sunglasses left, so I'd plan to bring your own, if you can!

Link to "X Marks the Spot" Eclipse Festival Info (Paducah has totality in both 2017 & 2024) = https://www.paducah.travel/event/x-marks-the-spot%3a-total-eclipse-festival/34424/

Brookport Bridge.jpg

2017-2024Paths.jpg

So informative! Anyone have such a thorough rundown of crowd likelihood in Vincennes, Indiana. That is my dad's top pick for where to view it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

Between today's storm and the sheer volume of people headed deep into the rural hinterlands in western and northern Maine, I worry about supplies. I don't think most people understand how limited food, gas and things like public bathrooms are, so I sure hope they are planning ahead! 

Even in towns and cities I don’t think they are taking it seriously.  We have to go out of town for my husband to start a new job.  A new job downtown, that isn’t concerned about closing that day. Right in the middle of an interstates flowing straight up and down the path of totality, interstates that randomly close for hours at 10am on a bright sunny Tuesday.   It’s not like the state has called up the Guard to help with traffic and such or anything.  Everything will be fine.    🙄.  
(This is seriously stressing me out SO MUCH.).  

• Sad 6

Woohoo!! We're booked in hotels now! Fortunately we are staying far enough away from totality that there was plenty of availability and the prices are normal. Grocery shopping is done. Now just gotta get everything packed up tomorrow......

• Like 3

We are directly in the path of totality- 4 minutes.  We are just having a family party day, but the town is having 4 days of festivals, parades,  etc.  They expect thousands of visitors- it's nuts!  

• Like 4

We live in totality but I just realized that I probably should get my elderly aunt to my house because her helper leaves at 2 and eclipse happens after that and I'm afraid she'll go outside without the glasses so I probably need to supervise her but she lives in the other side of town and it will probably be a mess getting her back home.  And basically I don't want to deal with it - just want to enjoy eclipse day with my kids as dh will be out of town on business.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tenaj said:

We live in totality but I just realized that I probably should get my elderly aunt to my house because her helper leaves at 2 and eclipse happens after that and I'm afraid she'll go outside without the glasses so I probably need to supervise her but she lives in the other side of town and it will probably be a mess getting her back home.  And basically I don't want to deal with it - just want to enjoy eclipse day with my kids as dh will be out of town on business.  

I get it as I care for my elderly father. Can you see if the helper can stay later that day with pay (of course) or a little extra bonus? Might be worth it for you not to have to get her and take her home.

• Like 2

We're "iffy" - this is the latest forecast I've seen:

New elipse cloud forecast! Likely sunny: Burlington and northern New England + Indianapolis to Carbondale Iffy: Dallas, Little Rock, Cleveland, Buffalo Meh: San Antonio, Austin