Menu

Book club. Color me ignorant.

Resilient

I am in a group that agrees on a book to read.  Not technically a book club but … that’s  as close as I can get….   So:

if you are in a group that focuses its time around a book, which is true for you?

A: I expect to read the book or an assigned portion of the book before meeting and the to discuss the book at the meeting. 

B: I expect that someone will read aloud the selected portion of the book while I knit/draw/crochet and not to discuss the book.  

This group is really confusing to me. But I’m inexperienced and wonder if I’m the loony one.

Edited by Resilient

A. I have just joined a book club and it's becoming clear that the real reason isn't literature, it's the need for deep discussions on the part of the person who started it. She carefully picked the attendees and carefully picks the books so that they're about politics, feminism etc. Which is fine, we all enjoy it. But my point is, what the book club is really for may depend on who founded it. I have a friend who attends a book club, she says they never get round to discussing the book, it's all wine and gossip. So maybe look at who started yours and why?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I would say A is the norm. 

I did know of a book club that was a combination of A and B: Women would get together, read a book aloud (taking turns each week) and then after a chapter, discuss. Some knitted or crocheted while listening to the reading. (I didn't attend; I just knew about it.)

• Like 1

A is the definition of a book club in my experience; it's what my book club does.

I actually think I'd like B, but I don't know what I'd call that. Do they read short stories or just a chapter or two or something? I may steal that for an idea for a program for the libraries I work for. That type of "book club" may take off actually. 

• Like 1

I’d be surprised to show up and have B happen, because I’d expect something more like A. I know a group of women who do neither A nor B. They get together once a month and each person shares about a book they’ve read and enjoyed since the last meeting. So it’s more like a book review club. 

I wouldn’t like B. That’s what audiobooks are for!

• Thanks 1

Every book club I've ever been a part of matches A.   You were expected to read the book ahead of time and the meeting was to discuss it.  Often with food, wine, etc. available.  

I'm not sure how I"d feel about B.   I can't do audiobooks because my mind tends to wander away and the voices annoy me so something like that probably wouldn't work for me.

1 minute ago, Grace Hopper said:

I’d be surprised to show up and have B happen, because I’d expect something more like A. I know a group of women who do neither A nor B. They get together once a month and each person shares about a book they’ve read and enjoyed since the last meeting. So it’s more like a book review club. 

I was in a C style group in the past but most have been A.

• Like 2

In my book club we read the book and discuss it for hours. I always show up having read the book, made notes, and brought a delicious snack; themed if possible. We take turns suggesting the books. 

Why would anyone show up for a read aloud? You could just listen and knit before book club. I guess if it’s spelled out and that’s what that group wants and expects then it serves them well. They should probably brief new members so they don’t come in expecting an actual book club. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grace Hopper said:

I would love B. There is something different about sharing in the reading of a book versus listening to it on a recording. That's one reason we keep trying to do read alouds as a family despite the fact I could just turn on a audiobook (There are plenty of audiobooks as well)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am in a book club (though I rarely get to it now because it is on Mondays and my daughter's AHG meeting is Mondays. And I'm a leader so expected to be there!)

But half the book club is for getting together and socializing and they encourage people to come even if they do not finish the book. We DO end up discussing the book -- but only like half the time.

Edited by vonfirmath

1 hour ago, Grace Hopper said:

My mother used to be in a group at her church that they called Round Table. Each month, a member of the group would read a book and then report on it to the others. It was usually missions related--a missionary biography or autobiography (the missions emphasis is possibly why the group existed to begin with?). After the meeting, others would usually request to borrow the book, and it would then make the rounds. So like GH is talking about, only one person per month. Of course, snacks and coffee were served.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

C. I’d buy the book, start to read it, get distracted and then be too embarrassed to show up when I didn’t read it so I’d drop off cookies and make some excuse.

This is how my old book club was. Usually around 1/3 finished, 1/3 got partway, 1/3 couldn’t. We were all moms with young kids so we were fine with this. 

A.

I've been in occasional C groups (and back in the day the 52 books a year thread was gloriously C and I loved it); and I think I would adore B -- it reminds me of the best aspects of los lectores in Cuban cigar factories and oral storytellers in the drying houses before that.

It is totally appropriate  for an A group member to come along and eat and visit if we haven't read or completed the book, no shame in the least. Book groups are meant to be social.

BUT there is a special circle in hell for folks who haven't read the book yet nonetheless suck up airtime in time allocated for the discussion of the book.  Their mouths are sealed, they are glued to a chair, and demons circle around them intoning self-importantly "i didn't read the book but its title reminds me of a time I was walking in the park and I saw a child playing by the pond and... " [six minutes' rambling narrative, cut off by another demon who interjects] "Well once I was in Calcutta and I saw a child and what I learned was..." [four minutes' rambling, cut off by another demon...} into eternity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A.

I can't imagine a "read-aloud" unless it's just the sharing of a favorite quote while reading the book. I'm in two book clubs. One spends a good 1.5 hours discussing the book (and meets for about two hours). The other is more of a wine club in the guise of a book club and spends about 15 minutes on the book (and meets for a good 3  hours). The latter is my favorite because we have become a much closer group & do so much more together. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, historically accurate said:

A is the definition of a book club in my experience; it's what my book club does.

I actually think I'd like B, but I don't know what I'd call that. Do they read short stories or just a chapter or two or something? I may steal that for an idea for a program for the libraries I work for. That type of "book club" may take off actually. 

I think it should be called a book social.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In our bookclub, definitely A.  Sometimes someone shows up and hasn't quite finished which is fine.  But I wouldn't expect B at all.  Maybe reading a quote in context of discussion?  But most of our hosts usually aren't that organized lol.  

I do sometimes bring a project to work on in social settings including book club.  It needs to be something fairly mindless.  But I definitely chat and discuss.

Sitting down and expecting a reading/lecture seems weird to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, historically accurate said:

In the instance that I know of, the group went through the entire book, a chapter per meeting. Then, they discussed the chapter. They rotated being the reader each meeting. The participants reported that they loved it and they did finish a few books. 

They called it a book club. I suppose it might be called a book study because it was a more detailed treatment of the book than a one-off, discuss the entire book meeting. But, basically it was a club formed to read books that way. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

Books clubs are A in my experience but I wouldn't necessarily hate a set up like B.  My concern is that not everyone is a good reader when reading out loud so that could affect the enjoyment. 

This.  I can't even stand many professional audiobook narrators, and in my experience many everyday people stink at out-loud reading delivery, have a flat affect, can't pronounce words, skip words or mangle sentences.  I did sign one of my kids up for a read-aloud book club for middle/high schoolers - but the instructor did all the reading aloud; I do think there was time for discussion at the end.  Can't remember.  In that case I was trying to encourage a kid who wasn't keen on reading literature.

A is the normal book club format.  You read ahead, then discuss.  Then you get the C people who come, that's also pretty much par for the course.  But B for grown-ups?   Well, I wouldn't sign up.  Does everyone have to wait to read the next chapter till everyone gets together again?  Or is just some random part of the text read aloud?  And many bad narrators are almost guaranteed if you're rotating. I don't get it.  If everyone other than narrator is sitting in silence working on crafts, I'd prefer an audiobook or music.  But honestly if it's a crafting group, I'd prefer to chit-chat with the other humans in the room.  That whole idea is bizarre to me.

I have also heard of a book club with format D - a silent reading book club where everyone brings their own book and reads it in silence.  There is usually chat, whether about books/reading or general before and after.  That's just to give yourself dedicated time to concentrate on reading, where you're not distracted, and also for companionship/chatting before/after.  I've seen "reading sprints" videos on YouTube which are pretty much the same thing, but I don't get that idea as much, as there's no before/after conversation, but it seems like some people like the idea of reading alongside others, as it helps with concentration (kind of like going to the library to read/get work done away from distractions).

But B??? Never heard of such a thing and I truly don't get what the point would be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

In my book club we read the book and discuss it for hours. I always show up having read the book, made notes, and brought a delicious snack; themed if possible. We take turns suggesting the books. 

Why would anyone show up for a read aloud? You could just listen and knit before book club. I guess if it’s spelled out and that’s what that group wants and expects then it serves them well. They should probably brief new members so they don’t come in expecting an actual book club. 

This is how I feel about a book group. You’ve written about yours before and I am frankly jealous. 

2 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

I would love B. There is something different about sharing in the reading of a book versus listening to it on a recording. That's one reason we keep trying to do read alouds as a family despite the fact I could just turn on a audiobook (There are plenty of audiobooks as well)

34 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

Books clubs are A in my experience but I wouldn't necessarily hate a set up like B.  My concern is that not everyone is a good reader when reading out loud so that could affect the enjoyment. 

We did read alouds as long as we could (oldest into high school and youngers through middle school). My grown kids say that was one of their favorite things about school at home and they are all now avid readers. However, I’m sure this is just a quirk of mine but after all those years being the reader, I have a hard time listening to someone else read aloud. With an audiobook I can at least adjust the speed at which it plays and rewind if I think I missed something. More often than not, though, I’m accelerating the pace. 

1 hour ago, Pam in CT said:

BUT there is a special circle in hell for folks who haven't read the book yet nonetheless suck up airtime in time allocated for the discussion of the book.  Their mouths are sealed, they are glued to a chair, and demons circle around them intoning self-importantly "i didn't read the book but its title reminds me of a time I was walking in the park and I saw a child playing by the pond and... " [six minutes' rambling narrative, cut off by another demon who interjects] "Well once I was in Calcutta and I saw a child and what I learned was..." [four minutes' rambling, cut off by another demon...} into eternity.

Oh this made me laugh out loud. This happened at my last book group meeting and a had to sit on my hands to keep myself from holding up my watch wrist (I may have been tempted to tap on it 😳).

I suppose the most important thing would be to start a group and run it to one’s own preference, or before joining one to ask a lot of questions about what meeting times look like and what expectations for members are. 

Eta I’m sure there are various styles that appeal to folks, just need to be sure you’re not in an X if you’d actually prefer a Y or Z format. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, marbel said:

In the instance that I know of, the group went through the entire book, a chapter per meeting. Then, they discussed the chapter. They rotated being the reader each meeting. The participants reported that they loved it and they did finish a few books. 

They called it a book club. I suppose it might be called a book study because it was a more detailed treatment of the book than a one-off, discuss the entire book meeting. But, basically it was a club formed to read books that way. 

I would also think of that as more of a book study.  I still wouldn't want randos reading aloud to me.  Rather read the chapter ahead and discuss. Were these fiction books, or some kind of meatier tome that there was enough to chew on for a chapter?  Can't imagine doing this for regular ladies' book club books!  

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

I would also think of that as more of a book study.  I still wouldn't want randos reading aloud to me.  Rather read the chapter ahead and discuss. Were these fiction books, or some kind of meatier tome that there was enough to chew on for a chapter?  Can't imagine doing this for regular ladies' book club books!  

I wasn't in the group, so I don't know their book list, but I believe it was a mix of fiction and non-fiction, and knowing the people involved, it would not be light, fluffy novels but books that would generate discussion. So, based on most of the book club lists I've seen, I would say no, they were not regular ladies' book club books. The woman in the group loved it (I didn't join because it was at a time I couldn't go) and I'm sure didn't think of each other as "randos" reading aloud. They became very close. I'm not in touch with any of the people anymore (I knew them from my church, but it was not a "church group") but I wouldn't be surprised if they were still going on. 

I mean, I'm sure it's not for everyone. Just as book clubs that read popular fiction books are not for everyone.

Definitely A.

The read-aloud thing makes it seem more like kids' story time at the library, or that maybe the person doing the reading just wants to be the center of attention and for people to watch her dramatic performance of the book reading, so she started a "book club" just to create a built-in audience for herself.

My former church used to have a woman who organized an all-day-long crafting day, for people to bring whatever craft they were working on.  She put out a table for people to make cards to be used by the church group that sent out cards to people.  

The first one sounds more like that to me, like a low-key crafting meet-up.  

I think they would listen to things too, whatever the people attending wanted to do.  There was a core group of about 10 who would be there most of the time, and then other people would drop in.  I only dropped in but it seemed like fun.  But it was more for people whose kids were older than mine were at the time.  

11 minutes ago, Lecka said:

My former church used to have a woman who organized an all-day-long crafting day, for people to bring whatever craft they were working on.  She put out a table for people to make cards to be used by the church group that sent out cards to people.  

The first one sounds more like that to me, like a low-key crafting meet-up.  

I think they would listen to things too, whatever the people attending wanted to do.  There was a core group of about 10 who would be there most of the time, and then other people would drop in.  I only dropped in but it seemed like fun.  But it was more for people whose kids were older than mine were at the time.  

I went to a church like this. It started with her teaching all of us how to quilt (She loved quilting) and turned into a hang out and craft together day. And some people did more chatting than crafting.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jaybee said:

My mother used to be in a group at her church that they called Round Table. Each month, a member of the group would read a book and then report on it to the others. It was usually missions related--a missionary biography or autobiography (the missions emphasis is possibly why the group existed to begin with?). After the meeting, others would usually request to borrow the book, and it would then make the rounds. So like GH is talking about, only one person per month. Of course, snacks and coffee were served.

My book club is a twist on this: everyone chooses their own book to read in the genre for that month, and then talks about it when we get together. 

Of course, some people are much better at this than other - it's not meant to be a summary, more like a blurb and then stuff like interesting plot but the unlikeable characters ruined it for me, if you like the works of X you'll probably like this, It was more humorous than I expected, this book is not typical of the genre because . . . 

People ask questions, also. 

A couple of people always need to be reminded to not spoil the ending! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lauraw4321 said:

@Resilient I’m dying to know whether it was A or B and which one you expected. 

It’s B.  
I expected A.  

it’s a serious book.  Educational not fluff. One woman reads and she reads well enough but it’s definitely not “reading with expression.”  Most people are knitting or something.  And there’s a little discussion but two chapters of scholarly (and clear) writing is too much to absorb in a read-aloud.   

Thank you all for the responses.  I at least don’t fell ignorant anymore. 

• Like 5

My 15 year old book club is nearing the end. It was a mix of wine and dine support group with literary and family focuses. We just have different schedules now. There is a book assigned each month that is read by about half of the people. No one minds spoilers and there’s usually a light discussion of the book. Everyone talks about what else they have read or seen. Especially when we were all young parents, it was fabulous to get recommendations for ourselves and children. 

My book club is like A, but originally was intended to also be knit/crochet-along at the same time. Everyone knows how to knit or crochet, some quite expertly, but most don’t do that anymore. I loom-knit and cannot do that while talking and listening; I lose count and make too many mistakes. 

I like my book club very much because the members are mostly similarly-minded enough that we choose similar types of books. And a couple of those ladies are wicked smart, so I greatly enjoy their insights into a book. 

17 hours ago, Resilient said:

It’s B.  
I expected A.  

it’s a serious book.  Educational not fluff. One woman reads and she reads well enough but it’s definitely not “reading with expression.”  Most people are knitting or something.  And there’s a little discussion but two chapters of scholarly (and clear) writing is too much to absorb in a read-aloud.   

Thank you all for the responses.  I at least don’t fell ignorant anymore. 

I would be looking for a different book club.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 11:23 AM, marbel said:

I think that would make me crazy. I read too fast for that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Acorn said:

My 15 year old book club is nearing the end. It was a mix of wine and dine support group with literary and family focuses. We just have different schedules now. There is a book assigned each month that is read by about half of the people. No one minds spoilers and there’s usually a light discussion of the book. Everyone talks about what else they have read or seen. Especially when we were all young parents, it was fabulous to get recommendations for ourselves and children. 

This is very similar to the group I'm in, although it's not nearing the end (it just started about two years ago). We wine and dine, support each other, and have already done a baby shower and bachelorette party in that short time period. Although, we are more multi-generational, with women from 28 years old to 60.