Menu

What is the number one thing you've done to improve your health?

I'm planning to cut out caffeine. Starting today. Going back to work and taking graduate classes left me dragging and I got into a serious caffeine habit. Maybe that's contributing to my yuck feeling and stress. I don't know.

I just started thinking: I'm off for 2 weeks and can spend more time focusing on my health. Preparing actual meals, you know.

What have YOU done that made a difference in how you feel/function?

tia

I've changed a few things but the number one thing I did this fall was add Vit. D supplements to my diet. Within a few days I started feeling better than I had in years. For the first time in 6 years I do not have SAD and don't use my special light. I had read that people in my area can be Vit. D insufficient but never realized how much it affected me.

Since I added Vit. D & calcium, I added omega-3, exercise more, and have lost weight. I'm really amazed that my doctor never suggested Vit. D with all my SAD and seasonal depresson.

Exercise.

I've made walking or stationary biking a part of my day.

It helps with stress relief and with my weight. I feel better and stronger. I look better which is a nice plus. In addition, it gets me outside in the fresh air and sun...helps beat back depression.

I've added more fruits and veggies to my diet. More whole wheat products.

I drink more water.

I, too, have kicked the caffeine habit. I wonder how many years it will be before I quit craving a Dr Pepper?

I started taking a teaspoon of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar 3x a day. You are supposed to put it in a glass of water but that taste awful to me so I just take the vinegar and do a water chaser. It is not that I now have this incredible energy but more like the energy I do have is a bit better and lasts longer.

Cutting caffeine was my biggie. I was starting to have heart palpitations, and I was scared, so it was easier to go cold turkey. I had been drinking several Coca-Colas a day since I was about 6 yo. It will be two years this March, and I have now worked my way off off cola altogether (I was drinking root beer.) I drink only water (with a glass of milk or two a week.)

Also, keeping my protein intake up has really been helpful. I learned that when I had GD with my last pregnancy. I used to have just carbs for breakfast, but now I have a lot of protein and no fruit or sugary foods before noon.

Moving to a house with stairs has also been great for my figure. :)

I do second the "quit my job" post, but more than that...

drinking 8 glasses of water a day with a splash of unsweetened cranberry juice. it really helps with energy and bloat and weight control

and

taking a high potency vitamen. i never believed in vitamens until i read "the mood cure" and tried the ones they suggest.

Take sufficient vitamin D via supplements and eat lots of produce (even though I still eat lots of other crap).

I think of the fibromyalgia symptoms, anxiety, depression, extreme debilitating fatigue, joint pain etc that I suffered through my teens, 20's and early 30's and find it amazing that i just don't have that now in my late 30's. At all.

The major differences are D and produce (and some other supplements). I was veg/vegan through my 20s and still having major muscle weakness, fatigue etc even though I was extremely fit, exercised, walked a ton, weighed 105 lbs or so and looked great. Heck, I had the joint pain for as long as I can remember.....since I was 3 or so.....till I was in my early 30's. Imo, for me that was vitamin D and gluten all the way.

K

This past summer, I started exercising more & eating less. I'm not "dieting"; other than pretty much eliminating anything with added sugar, I eat whatever I want, but in small portions. I drink mostly water, but I do have 1-2 cups of decaf coffee per day and occasionally a small glass of apple juice or orange juice.

Edited by ereks mom

I quit smoking two years ago. I actually quit without any nicotine replacements(pills, lozenges or nicotine gum) but had plenty of education and support. The worst part of the withdrawal was over in 72 hours . If you are interested go to http://www.whyquit.com www.whyquit.com It is free and the information is invaluable. I was never able to try to quit due to fear that the edgy , horrible unease that I felt every time I needed to smoke during the day as a smoker was going to be how it felt to be a non smoker. Only when I learned that those feelings were not normal, only a sign of nicotine dependencewas I able to get the nerve up to quit for good . After nicotine was out of my body completely(72 hours) I would never feel like that again . Maybe sad, irritated or the like but never that crawling out of my skin with discomfort due to withdrawal...I am so thankful every day that I am an ex smoker.

Edited by elizabeth
incomplete sentence

I know you probably wanted a short answer, but I really love this subject, so I just have to pass along what I've learned. Warning, long message to follow...

Reading and implementing (loosely at present) 2 books, "The Makers Diet" and "Nourishing Traditions" has been the #1 thing I could do for me and my family's health.

The main theme of good health in these 2 books begins in the gut (colon). When the gut/colon is functioning well, then food/vitamins/minerals are processed and distributed throughout the body well, and then the body can function well and do what it needs to do. That is, if the body is relatively healthy to begin with.

The main ingredient to good gut/colon health is good bacteria (a.k.a. probiotics). The gut is full of bacteria both good and bad. When the population of good bacteria is low, then digestion is poor, and the body is not getting what it needs to function well. No matter what you add or eliminate in a diet, if digestion is poor, those vitamins won't be getting processed properly.

Good bacteria can be added to the gut through probiotic supplementation, or natural foods, such as kefir, yogurt, raw milk, and other "good bacteria" type foods listed in the books I've titled above. We use kefir, yogurt, and probiotic supplementation.

The second most important aspect of good gut/colon health is good fiber (good grains), also listed in both of the books above. My favorite fiber is buckwheat (not a true grain, but acts like one). It has been great for my digestion, and I feel excellent when my digestion is good.

We usually don't get sick in our family, but this late fall we all got a terrible cough/sickness that has lasted about a month. Once I recovered from this cough, just recently, I felt somewhat better, but my digestion was terrible. I had run out of buckwheat for several months and sort of *forgot* about it. Just a week ago my husband brought home a big bag of buckwheat for me, because I was feeling so terrible, and I was complaining of poor digestion, and he knew how much I loved buckwheat and how good I felt when I was eating it. Oh, I was so happy! I ground it up right away, along with a 1/2 portion of soft white wheat, and I made 10 cups of my favorite pancake mix.

Here is the dry mix recipe below if anyone is interested. Makes 10 cups:

5 cups of buckwheat flour (the kind I like best is toasted and freshly ground)

5 cups of soft white wheat flour (Again freshly ground is my favorite. This can be substituted for regular white flour if you don't like *grainy* things)

10 Tablespoons sugar (white or brown)

10 teaspoons baking powder

5 teaspoons baking soda

5 teaspoons salt

Mix all together in a big wide mouthed jar, or a small bucket. Use within 1 month.

To make 1 batch of pancakes, just add to 1 cup of mix:

1 egg

1 cup kefir or buttermilk or thinned out yogurt (thin with milk)

2 Tablespoons butter (Optional. I've tried it without, and it's not much different.)

This serves me and 4 children (Dh doesn't like my *magic* pancakes :confused:, even though he said his digestion improved after 1 serving. :glare:)

I've been eating this every morning since my husband came home with the buckwheat, and my digestion is excellent again. I'm starting to feel like my old self again!

And as if this wasn't long enough, I have a side note. Before I got *very* sick with 2 bouts of pneumonia my digestion wasn't great then either. I hadn't been eating my buckwheat/kefir pancakes for months, and my digestion was deteriorating. So, I did a "Dr. Natura Colon Cleanse". About 1 month into the cleanse I got really sick with pneumonia, twice! Not that the cleanse caused it, or anything like that, but I just wanted to say that I will stick to the buckwheat/kefir combination from now on. I think it's a gentle and natural way to good digestion.

One more side note, he he he. I'll NEVER quit drinking coffee. (Please don't test me on this one, God.)

#1 Started taking generic Claritin for until then undiagnosed allergies.

#2 Started taking Mucinex or generic version in cough syrup to clear mucous that was causing *constant* rhinitis. A low-level infection, but it never let up. I was always sick.

#3 Re-started iron supplements. I am taking birth control that prevents periods altogether, and thought I wouldn't need iron. I was wrong.

I'm still frequently sick, so obviously I could use more work, lol. But this has been a big improvement.

Oh, I was so happy! I ground it up right away, along with a 1/2 portion of soft white wheat, and I made 10 cups of my favorite pancake mix.

Here is the dry mix recipe below if anyone is interested. Makes 10 cups:

5 cups of buckwheat flour (the kind I like best is toasted and freshly ground)

I'm putting in an order with Country Life Natural foods soon. Which of their 3 types of buckwheat would you recommend?

BUCKWHEAT, BROWN ROASTED (KASHA)

BUCKWHEAT, HULLED WHITE

BUCKWHEAT, UNHULLED

Thanks

I'm planning to cut out caffeine. Starting today. Going back to work and taking graduate classes left me dragging and I got into a serious caffeine habit. Maybe that's contributing to my yuck feeling and stress. I don't know.

I just started thinking: I'm off for 2 weeks and can spend more time focusing on my health. Preparing actual meals, you know.

What have YOU done that made a difference in how you feel/function?

tia

Started running, taking classes, finally got all my, "now that your 40" checkups in, cut back on soda, not that a drank a whole lot of it but it did contribute to health, weight etc.

Worked with a personal trainer to lose my excess weight. It was only 24 lbs, but it's made a world of difference in my physical and mental health. Chronic high blood pressure, gone; PCOS, under control; not to mention negative body image, gone; low self-esteem and level of confidence, nearly completely gone.

And of course that involved nutrition education, so I'm eating better with proper proportions of nutrients in my diet every day, and I'm sure that has a huge effect on my physical and mental health, and stress levels too.

BITE YOUR TONGUE girl! That is blasphemous! :)

Decreased my intake and began regularly exercising. Dropped 12 kilos so far.

:iagree: Dh and I made a concious decision to take up drinking coffee several years ago. We bought a coffee maker and read the instructions to figure out how to use it!

I limit myself to 2 cups a day. It gives me peace. Besides, there's always decaf.

I have stuck to the vitamin supplements that my naturpath recommends for me. I've added a good probiotic to my diet and have cut out as much sugar as possible. I have a couple of teaspoons per day in my cups of coffee but the rest is either pure maple syrup or organic, raw honey. I make sure to get 8 hours of sleep her night (this is what my body needs) and that atleast 2 of those hours are before midnight. I also take naps when my body needs them rather than fighting the fatigue with a cup of coffee.

I worked with a physical therapist to get rid of the chronic shoulder/neck/upper back pain that I've had most of my adult life due to scoliosis and bad posture. The severe pain is gone, and we're strengthening postural muscles that surround the spine curvature. Hopefully, this work will also prevent any worsening of the curvature and keep my back healthy!

This year, Yoga. When I go regularly (once or twice a week) I have no aches and pains and I'm stronger than all the years I lifted weights, ran and did aerobics.

Over time, cutting out sugar and staying away from pre-packaged, processed foods has been the best thing for my health.

What kind of Vitamins is everyone taking? I've wanted to take a multivitamin, but I never see a difference so I wonder if it's the type? Also, Fish oil? What would you take?

BTW, Decaf coffee is poison!!!!!:leaving:

Quit all artificial sugars. I was having joint pain in my hands that was getting to the point that I was unable to open jars or keep a hold on anything. I was certain it was arthritis. Quitting artificial sugars made the pain disappear within 2 weeks. Going back on them makes the pain come back. No more of those for me or my children.

Lost 10% of my weight. Went from 150 to 135 (I'm 5'4") and it took two years. I exercise regularly (treadmill) and eat healthier and less than I used to. Especially less sweets. I notice now that a little goes a long way, and I don't have the same desire for sweets that I once did.

I'm finding that I'm feeling better and don't really fancy animal products much. However I'm going to eat three custard tarts in a row as soon as I get rid of this gestational diabetes because I've been dying for one for months. Then I'll be over it and back to the vegan conversion we're working on. Even dh has found his interest in meat decline and is quite happy to eat beans most of the time instead.

:)

Rosie