Menu

Should I color my hair for a job interview?

Storygirl

I am in the middle of a job application for a library position. I had my first interview today over the phone. The second interview (if invited) will be in person. I'm collecting opinions about whether I should color my hair before the interview.

Background info -- I stopped coloring my hair during the pandemic lockdown. I'm 54 and always looked young for my age when I colored my hair. Now, sometimes my teenagers get asked if I'm their grandmother. Even so, I really like my natural silvery hair color, and I get more compliments on it than I ever did when I was blonde.  But I'm worried about looking older for this interview, especially because I haven't been in the work force for 20 years.

I don't want to go back to constantly coloring my hair, but I'm wondering if I should use a semi permanent, temporary blonde hair color during the interview process. Then I would let it wash out and go back to my silver color. My hair always took on dye well, so I think it would work, even though sometimes gray is hard to cover.

What do you all think? My hair is lighter in the front than the back, so I'm including two photos.

IMG_9432.jpg

IMG_9431.jpg

• Like 1

No, it's beautiful.

I know it might be regional, but in my area it seems that most women go grey naturally. No one would think twice (other than it's very pretty).

eta I hope that means the first interview went well! 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

Thanks, friends! I've been going back and forth about this for awhile, so your opinions are helpful. Thank you for the compliments. My dad's side of the family grays early, then most turn pure white. On my mom's side, they stay gray until the end. I hoping that my hair turns completely white eventually, but it's fine with me if it takes awhile! My siblings are not as silver as I am, yet.

• Like 2

Nope-- it is BEAUTIFUL...

I'm 56 and also used COVID to stop coloring my hair-- it looks SO MUCH BETTER-- and I'm saving $$$$  No more fade 'line' to deal with...

If you use a semi permanent color you WILL STILL HAVE TO GROW IT OUT-- it will not fade away and you WILL have a color line... yuck!

I brighten mine by using a purple shampoo and conditioner...

I know LOTS of grey-haired ladies who are FULL OF ENERGY!!!

**Plus my hairdresser says she will drop me as a client if I color over my perfect silver hair.

---

• Like 2

Surprising myself here by emerging as a voice of dissent within a conversation with which I basically agree.

1. Your hair is beautiful exactly as it is.
  2. The social expectation that women "should" color their beautiful silver hair is absolute crazy-making bullsh!t.
  3. Age discrimination is real.  Crazy-making absolute bullsh!t, and simultaneously, real.
  4. If I were in your shoes, and I truly wanted the job: I WOULD do the semipermanent natural dye thing, and let it fade back to beautiful silver in 2 months, after I'd landed the job and proven myself in performance.

Your hair rocks, society sucks, and we live in the world we have, not the world we deserve.  And sometimes that entails tradeoffs. At least this one would be temporary.

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

Surprising myself here by emerging as a voice of dissent within a conversation with which I basically agree.

1. Your hair is beautiful exactly as it is.
  2. The social expectation that women "should" color their beautiful silver hair is absolute crazy-making bullsh!t.
  3. Age discrimination is real.  Crazy-making absolute bullsh!t, and simultaneously, real.
  4. If I were in your shoes, and I truly wanted the job: I WOULD do the semipermanent natural dye thing, and let it fade back to beautiful silver in 2 months, after I'd landed the job and proven myself in performance.

Your hair rocks, society sucks, and we live in the world we have, not the world we deserve.  And sometimes that entails tradeoffs. At least this one would be temporary.

After recently going through the job search and navigating ageism, I have to say I lean toward agreeing with the above. But consider a couple of things first. 

Have you cruised through that branch to see what the other librarians look like? Y’all hold your tomatoes, I know it’s not fair, but if you want the job, you might want to do the front end shape shifting. See how your look might fit in with the others. 

Instead of a color, I’d consider a stylish fresh cut for an updated look. And/or maybe more modern eyeglass frames. There are ways to add energy to your look without coloring your hair. 

I love your color and IF YOU WEREN’T JOB HUNTING, I’d never suggest you color it. But it might be a good idea to update your look as you feel necessary. 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

After recently going through the job search and navigating ageism, I have to say I lean toward agreeing with the above. But consider a couple of things first. 

Have you cruised through that branch to see what the other librarians look like? Y’all hold your tomatoes, I know it’s not fair, but if you want the job, you might want to do the front end shape shifting. See how your look might fit in with the others. 

Instead of a color, I’d consider a stylish fresh cut for an updated look. And/or maybe more modern eyeglass frames. There are ways to add energy to your look without coloring your hair. 

I love your color and IF YOU WEREN’T JOB HUNTING, I’d never suggest you color it. But it might be a good idea to update your look as you feel necessary. 

I did consider this before commenting that her hair is perfect just as it is but every library I've ever been to has employees of all ages and it doesn't seem like ageism would be an issue in this situation.  But maybe it is in some locations.  

• Like 5

I really believe that your energy/confidence level will be more important than your hair color. I am much older than you, but I do try not to act too "creaky." Best wishes. My daughter is loving her library job so much she is delaying her return to college! It was her customer service experience that got her the job. That surprised me. So sell your people skills!

• Like 6

I'm right there with you, and our hair styles are similar. The big difference is that I have a lot darker in the front and framing my face and more gray on the crown and nape of my neck. (I like having it a bit longer in the summer so when I put it up, it's less gray. 🙂 )

I concur with the others who said to cruise through the library several times to catch staff who are not all working the same shift, and see what you can observe.

I may have to work harder to get my next job, but in our area, there is a lot to chose from. If opportunities were limited, I might be tempted to have the roots professionally blended darker gray, so I looked more like a younger person choosing gray.

As it is, I'm just trying to be authentically energetic, positive, and enthusiastic in my interviews, hoping that vibrance will win the day.

• Like 1

This job is at one of the three library branches that I frequent (three different library systems; we live equally close to each). The employees that I've seen there are all youngish. As in 20s to 30s. That could work against me. Or it could go in my favor, since the library system is big on diversifying its workforce, if you want to consider age a diversifying factor (I don't, really, but perhaps HR would).

This position is mid-level. Does not require a MLS and is not a management position. But it requires a bachelor's degree plus library experience, including collection development, and one of the duties is to be in charge when no managers are on site. Most of the branch positions advertised lately are for general customer service and require a high school diploma or GED. This library system has a different job responsibility ladder than where I used to work (which was a union library system). According to the internet, out of over 800 employees in the entire 22 branch system, only 42 have an MLS.

So perhaps a "seasoned" person would make sense for them to add to staff, since there are greater responsibilities connected to the position. On the other hand, I gained my library experience when I was in my 20s and 30s, so it's entirely possible for a younger person to have equal or better credentials.

So, who knows? But I suspect that I was not chosen for a position that I applied for (in a different library system) a few years ago, because I am older (no way to prove it), so I feel extra sensitive about that possibility.

• Like 6

I think your hair is absolutely gorgeous.

And

I am finishing my last courses this term, and then applying for the job I hope to have until I retire. I think age discrimination exists, even if the interviewer isn't  aware of their bias.  

I've never colored my graying hair. Yet, I plan to color my hair in some way that will grow out easily before I (hopefully) interview because I want to mitigate anything that might hurt my chances. 

• Like 5

Your hair looks amazing....! And since you would need to be in charge when no managers are around, the look of experience could help. I don't know how long a semi-permanent hair color takes to fade - if it's just a matter of a couple of months, I'd go ahead, but if it will be a mess for many months, I'd leave it be.

• Like 1

Given all the information, I think I would lean toward coloring with something that will wash out in 12 washes or so.   I know "semi-permanent" colors never wash out of my hair, they need to grow out.  But something like Overtone (they do have some "normal" colors) really does wash out.  

Agreeing with the others that it shouldn't make a difference, but unfortunately it very well could.  Especially if most of the staff is younger.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Kassia said:

I did consider this before commenting that her hair is perfect just as it is but every library I've ever been to has employees of all ages and it doesn't seem like ageism would be an issue in this situation.  But maybe it is in some locations.  

This and the location/level of the job matters too. I faced bias in the opposite direction 10 years ago because I looked too young to be a manager in my region. Now, my grays help suggest I’m underpaid (truth). I didn’t dye my hair last year (less gray but PLENTY) and regularly meet with folks who have a heckuva lot more than I do, at ALL levels. Despite the age of the existing staff, you have no idea who will be on the hiring panel or what they’re looking for—whether they would welcome a more seasoned employee to help mentor the youngers, for ex. Libraries in my community are one of the least ageist places to work. This entire conversation is indicative of why DEI measures matter. What does the employer, I assume municipality or ed institution, say publicly on these matters? Public salaries are public. We are not the only municipality with a public-facing dashboard that shows pay by department, position, race/ethnicity and age. Does yours? Do your homework so you can go in feeling more empowered.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4

My dh was job hunting at 55yo.  The headhunter outright told him some of the people who interviewed him stated he was "too old", and he would probably just "sit at his desk".  Didn't matter that he had 27 years of experience in the industry at a variety of places around the country.  They weren't going to hire him until a guy who had worked with dh at a couple of different places pushed for it.  And dh did get the job.  But only because of his former boss demanding it.

All to say age discrimination is very real.  And I assume it's worse for women than for men, but I don't really know.  So it might be wise to make some kind of effort to look younger.  Even though I do think your hair is beautiful.  🙂

Edited by kathyl
  • Like 3

First, your hair is absolutely gorgeous. The style - the cut - the color - it's all lovely on you and you shouldn't change a hair on your head.

If it were *me,* and I had this thought in my head that the hair might prohibit me from re-entering the work force, *I* would probably use a temporary color and tint my hair for the interview. Only so I wouldn't have any "what ifs" in my head if I didn't get the job.

With that said, it's obviously discriminatory for ppl to NOT hire you based on a) your age or b) their assumption of your age. However, we all know the world doesn't work in an ideal bubble.

(My hair is red with white *streaks* running like stripes throughout my hair, lol (think Bonnie Raitt, but multiple streaks). I get a ton of compliments on it, but don't get as many "you look way too young to have kids this old" comments as I did before the white streaks showed up - even though my face looks exactly the same! 🤣)

• Like 2

I love your hair! Mine is gray as well. 😊

Have you thought about getting it toned/glazed right before your interview? I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the process but it can really add some polish to gray hair without actually coloring it.

I think the semipermanent due would work well also but it may not completely wash out and return to your former color.

It could also damage your hair and change the texture as gray hair is more easily damaged. I only used semipermanent dye before going gray. As my hair grew out ( I keep it long), the new growth was so much prettier than the old, previously dyed hair. 

I wouldn’t even consider dying my hair for an interview but I would glaze it and get a fresh cut. I would spend extra time on my make up, and buy a new outfit that is flattering and as youthful as possible while still befitting my age. 

After all the angst and hard stages of going gray, I’m finally at a place where I love my hair and I’m not willing to mess it up and have to go through any of that again!

That said, if you really really want/need the job, then it might be worth it to take every step reasonably possible to get hired. I would ask myself, if I didn’t get the job because of my hair, would I regret it and wish I’d dyed it or would I be content with knowing I did what I felt was best for me?

• Like 2

I think you look wonderful!

The interview panel will know your approximate age simply by information like your education graduation years, and early job experience. If they've asked you in for an interivew already knowing this, then your hair colour shouldn't be an issue. If I was on the hiring panel, it sure wouldn't matter.

I do recognize that different locations have different cultural norms and expectations, though. In Norway, for example, all women let their hair become grey, so you see the grey hair all around all the time. It's completely normal and expected.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I think you look wonderful!

The interview panel will know your approximate age simply by information like your education graduation years, and early job experience. If they've asked you in for an interivew already knowing this, then your hair colour shouldn't be an issue. If I was on the hiring panel, it sure wouldn't matter.

I do recognize that different locations have different cultural norms and expectations, though. In Norway, for example, all women let their hair become grey, so you see the grey hair all around all the time. It's completely normal and expected.

I attended a professional videoconference last week where the host/MC was significantly older than me and had solidly dark red/auburn hair. If that’s how someone wants to present themselves, I love it! Also, it didn’t disguise her age…at all. It just made her seem a tad more adventurous and fun than average. Hair color isn’t a magic bean. It’s in your energy/vibe, cultural references and flexibility, all of which tend to decline over time.

• Like 3

One thing I’ll add - a manicure. It doesn’t have to be salon professional, or flashy colors, but at the least make sure that even if your nails are clean/short/natural, you’ve cared for the cuticles and have a clear coat of polish.

This indicates attention to detail, and you’d be surprised how many people notice this. It’s the equivalent of the 1980’s male executive shoe shine. 

Eta I like the clear hair glaze idea someone shared above! It’s what I almost did before deciding to go ahead and get a dimensional color to camouflage the grey (my grey was a drab washout, I’m envious of you all who are able to sprout glorious silver-white!). 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Calm37 said:

I really believe that your energy/confidence level will be more important than your hair color. I am much older than you, but I do try not to act too "creaky." Best wishes. My daughter is loving her library job so much she is delaying her return to college! It was her customer service experience that got her the job. That surprised me. So sell your people skills!

I believe this too. So my suggestion is, if you think coloring your hair will help you feel more confident, then I love the idea of using a semipermanent just for the interview. If you feel at your most confident with your natural color, then leave it as is.  Good luck!

• Like 1

I just had a funny thought! The two interviews I've had recently are for positions in which the company is replacing someone who is retiring. I've seen the photo of one of the retirees, she will be training her replacement, and she has typical-retiree, cute-curly, short, nearly-white hair. It's the kind of cut for which she probably goes to the salon weekly.

I've been told there will be second interviews in the next week or so. I hope that both of the vacancies due to older women retiring will make it easier for me not to have to dye my hair, because for me that's an absolute no go. I will definitely get my nails done, and my husband laughed when I griped about neatening up my eyebrows for the interviews.

Whee! It's fun out here. Good luck, Storygirl!

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 4