Menu

How often do you buy your children things?

How often do you buy your children things (extras)?  

1. 1. How often do you buy your children things (extras)?

• Daily
    • Weekly
    • Monthly
    • Bi-Monthly
    • Holidays only
    • Birthdays only
    • Holidays & Birthdays only

I haven't voted yet because I am not sure which option to choose. :)

We don't buy our dc a lot of extra stuff. They get money from different places (birthday money, odd jobs, etc.) that they can spend on whatever they want.

We do buy things like Wii games that we want as a family (I went out and bought Animal Crossing when it came out) or we go to the movie theater as a family when certain movies come out (Harry Potter, LOTR and Pirates when they came out, etc.)

These purchases are not as often as the voting options, but they are not reserved for holidays or birthdays only either.

So, if there were an other option I would have choosen that. :D

ETA: I give the kids money and they shop for themselves. I don't usually show up with gifts for them outside of holidays.

Ds buys items 1-2 times a year but he will plan a purchase for months, sometimes longer. His purchases are usually expensive video games or accessories for his board games, and he will anticipate its release from the time it is still in development! He will spend $50-150 in one purchase instead of a lot of little purchases. He will buy a book sometimes too but I usually buy those for him as thank yous for helping me with the 2yo. He will occasionally walk to the market with a friend to buy an ice cream but it is more about the journey that the prize.

DD will spend her money the minute she gets it. The Webkins craze hasn't helped this much. We put a limit on one new Webkins every 2 mths unless it is a present so that helps a little. She wants cheaper things, $5-20 so it takes less time to save for them :0/ I will limit her to buying one or two things at a time to teach her to save a little for something bigger.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I picked monthly, but have never paid attention so am not sure that's accurate.

Toys we don't buy except at Christmas or birthdays. First, my kids aren't that into toys; second, I like to keep clutter down and don't see a need for most toys. If there's a toy they really feel they need, they can earn it themselves.

Books are what we do buy often, I do like to take them to Half Price Books or Barnes and Noble and let them pick out some books periodically. I guess I just feel differently about reading, some of my happiest childhood memories are of books; my mom would take me to the used bookstore on the weekends and let me book out a book or two and I'd spend the weekend reading. The bookstore is a family treat.

Then things might come up like bubbles, a kite, someone outgrew thier bike, and so on. So things to play with outdoors that involve exercise we might buy here and there, and art supplies we buy a lot too. Those are all family things, really. The same thing with board games- we might decide as a family on a new game for game night.

I haven't voted yet because I am not sure which option to choose. :)

We don't buy our dc a lot of extra stuff. They get money from different places (birthday money, odd jobs, etc.) that they can spend on whatever they want.

We do buy things like Wii games that we want as a family (I went out and bought Animal Crossing when it came out) or we go to the movie theater as a family when certain movies come out (Harry Potter, LOTR and Pirates when they came out, etc.)

These purchases are not as often as the voting options, but they are not reserved for holidays or birthdays only either.

So, if there were an other option I would have choosen that. :D

:smilielol5: I took the "Colleen Option" and purposefully left the other option off. It sounds to me like most of your spending is reserved for Holidays & Birthdays since what you mentioned buying is intended for the family, and not specifically one child.

I only buy for birthdays, holidays and extra good or generous behavior. Like last night at a party dd gave her candy cane to a girl that didn't have one so today we're going buy something special. They only get behavior rewards a few times a year since it is expected but it's nice to surprise them with a treat sometimes.

I picked monthly but that isn't accurate. It's more like 2-3 times a year besides birthdays and Christmas.

The biggest reason we buy things at times other than birthdays and Christmas is because my kids' have winter birthdays. We don't want to buy them summer season toys for Christmas or their birthdays because they wouldn't be able to use them for several months after. It's not very exciting to get a bike for your December birthday only to put it in the garage for 4-6 months before you can use it.

I'll also buy them something for medical procedures to keep their spirits up, for long car drives to keep them entertained, and I like to make/get them a small gift for when I come home from being out of town a couple times a year.

ETA: My kids don't currently get an allowance. Occasionally, they'll get a dollar or two for a lost tooth or doing an extra good job being helpful with chores/attitude/etc. So, they don't have their own money to spend really.

Edited by joannqn

I really don't know how to answer this. Do you mean little things like candy? I usually buy each of my three kids one candy bar each when we go grocery shopping every other week, at 4 for $1. If you include little tiny things like that, it might be close to weekly. However, if you're talking about larger things like books and toys, that is much less often. Even that varies, though... if I spot an awesome deal on something worthwhile, I'll buy it for one or more of my kids. That happens every couple of months, probably. If you're asking if our kids have an ongoing flow of new stuff coming in regularly, the answer to that is no.

If books were excluded, I could vote "holidays and birthdays" but...they aren't excluded. And we love books. And whenever I turn in books for credit at the used bookstore here, we all get more books. Sometimes we even snag new ones at Barnes and Noble or off of Amazon.

Just...can't...resist...books...

I picked bi-monthlly because that was the only thing between monthly holidays and birthdays. I pick up books every couple months. I don't buy toys or other stuff. I might get things they need - clothes, art supplies for class, things for Karate, etc when needed. We don't buy candy. If I buy certain foods - selfish me, I get what I have a craving for (but, of course, I share everything but chocolate:).)

We only buy toys at birthdays, Christmas and a little something in their Easter basket (to cut down on the candy!).

I think the only thing that doesn't fit this pattern is when the boys have needed a new bike or equipment for a sport.

We do give them an allowance so they can save to buy little odds and ends, but typically they end up saving it up and buying a big thing. (like another lego set)

I'm in the "often" camp too... I answered weekly. If we see something that we think they would like, it's not too expensive, behavior has been good, we usally get it. Many are in the "disposable" category -- my dh picks up collectable cards or comics for them every week when he has his "day off" at the comic store. I will occasionally pick up a single Playmobile guy we don't have if I notice one at Target.

We also pick up books or magazines for one another (dh and I) when we see them, not just for the kids.

The one exception is we try NOT to buy anything for a month at least before Christmas. Or we buy it, and add it to the stocking stuffers.

I buy them stuff weekly in lieu of an allowance. They earn their prize by good behavior in outside classes and not driving me batty (at least too much) at home. The oldest gets sticky tack, duplos, pipecleaners and tape whenever he seems to be running low because he makes all of his own toys. The others get small (about $5) toys. I only buy big stuff for birthdays and holidays. They also love Happy Meal toys and will play with them for a long time.

I voted Holidays and Birthdays because that is generally when they would get things from us. The exceptions would be when we go to the thrift store, which is pretty frequently, if they find some 50 cent or $1 toy or a book or software they like, I will buy it for them. Also, when we go grocery shopping, I usually will give them a quarter or two for the vending machine. Otherwise we limit gift giving to Christmas and birthdays.

I buy 'extras' often - weekly or more.

But not toys, no, no, no more toys!

Toys were making us all stressed because of the impossibility of keeping them tidy. So we all agreed to get rid of most of the toys (to the attic, they haven't been thrown out all together but I think everyone but me has forgotten about them.)

DVD's, books, Wii games, Playstation games, art supplies, board games, socks..... :)

Recently we have been trying hard to economize and we are all happily doing with far fewer extras but a set of pens or a colouring book here and there are always well received.

The boys might get the odd book at other times in the year, but basically that's it. Calvin has an almost-Christmas birthday, so he gets his big birthday present on his half birthday. Apart from that, they get a small allowance and save up. It takes them between one and two months to save for a book.

Laura

I voted birthdays and holidays. In reality, we probably buy them something two or three other times per year as a reward or because they are good kids and we enjoy giving them gifts.

However, we purposely instituted allowance to put the decision-making on them. If they really, really want something, they will save their allowance and get it. If it's not really so important, then it's not worth saving for it. I don't have to say no, though I would if it was inappropriate, but that hasn't come up so far.

This is tough. We all have a monthly book allowance because well, we consider that like FOOD. Otherwise, my children get $3 a week allowance and they save up and buy what they want (usually a book, game, or legos). We spend $30 on birthdays and $50 on Christmas per child.

We might find a neat toy at a yard sale or goodwill that's a good deal and worth buying. Last summer we spent $30 at a yard sale and bought 2 copier paper boxes full of Thomas Tank Engine train stuff.

Just...can't...resist...books...

Oh, yeah. I even got an amazon credit card and pay for everything on it to get those 25 dollar reward certificates. I stroll through books, I rummage at Goodwill, I read "other books by" in the front, I look for an illustrator on Amazon and hunt for other writers they worked with. Books.

My socks are 9 years old and I got them in a big bag at Costco, but books slide in and out here all year long.

I said monthly. A more accurate answer would be bi-weekly. I take them to the thrift store about that often to look for new silly hats, scarves, and other kooky items to play dress up with. My oldest ds usually comes away with a stack of books but they are just 0.39 each so I don't mind.

I do not purchase items at a regular store for them very often. Our oldest son saves up money for his bionicles and legos. I make some things for the middle boys, like little wooden people and animals.