Menu

Hurricane Ian

Katy

I talked to my son’s gf. Her sister and brother in law are coming to their place tonight and they are more experienced and prepared. They are older- in their late thirties so they are parental figures really and have more supplies they are bringing. Girlfriend mentioned that they had several coolers and ice and that they were going to be cooking tonight and that they had grilling equipment etc. And two more dogs! But I am glad they will be together. She was also reassured by her older co-workers from the area that the location of their apartment is known to be safe and not flood. So I think they are as set as they are going to be. 

Now just to wait and see. But at least they are taking it seriously. 

• Like 19

30 minutes ago, Katy said:

Fill the bathtubs and lesser-used sinks with water. It can be used for dampening bandanas for cooling/bathing and for flushing toilets if the water pressure disappears. 

I think we are all posting for the college age kids in the op, but just want to mention for others reading that you should NOT NOT NOT do this if you have toddlers/young kids in the house - too many kids have drowned in full bathtubs, and in the chaos of a storm a kid could toddle off in the dark and mom and dad not notice until it was too late. 

• Like 10

Just now, ktgrok said:

I think we are all posting for the college age kids in the op, but just want to mention for others reading that you should NOT NOT NOT do this if you have toddlers/young kids in the house - too many kids have drowned in full bathtubs, and in the chaos of a storm a kid could toddle off in the dark and mom and dad not notice until it was too late. 

Right! I meant for PP’s kids in the apartment, not for anyone with kids too little to get out of a tub. 

• Like 1

I know this is going to sound stupid, and it definitely doesn’t rate up there with human life and all, but some of the lemons on my tree are starting to ripen (a month earlier than last year), but most aren’t ready to pick. I’m going to be really sad if we lose the crop.

• Like 6
  • Sad 4

Can we talk about filling tubs with water? Isn't it only for people with well water that runs through electricity? We went through Michael, and the entire grid for our county was down, and we have had a couple of smaller hurricanes with power loss, but we never lost water. No hot water,  but always water. 

Ice was the most valuable thing to have!

Edited by KeriJ

2 minutes ago, KeriJ said:

Can we talk about filling tubs with water? Isn't it only for people with well water that runs through electricity? We went through Michael, and the entire grid for our county was down, and we have had a couple of smaller hurricanes with power loss, but we never lost water. No hot water,  but always water. 

some smaller towns have water on weird pumps and such that can go out. 

Also, even if you don't lose water, you can have boil water alerts where it isn't safe to drink/bathe in. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

Keeping Florida people in my thoughts! I am curious under what circumstances people decide to pack up and leave, especially when they don't have family or friends to head to, and where to go, especially with the track uncertainty (we had that kind of situation unexpectedly last year (our neighbors left, we stayed -and ended up cleaning up their yard toys and tools, with their permission of course, so they wouldn't hit our home).

I live close to the coast (but not in the cone for Ian) and I will board up and leave for a 3 or higher (I've seen it go from a 3 to a 4 to a 5 in quick succession with no time to get out so I'd rather not take the chance). Being without power and mentally and physically drained from experiencing a hurricane is awful (and something I don't want to do again) and I'd want the best possible frame of mind to deal with the aftermath.

DH is currently in Orlando for work but I'm not as worried about him. We were living in Tampa in an A zone for Charley and were mandatorily evacuated to Orlando (where I grew up) and then Charley changed track and went through Port Charlotte then through were were were in Orlando. I AM concerned that this path looks similar to Charley. I hope that those who are staying are prepared and that it weakens considerably before it hits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KeriJ said:

I thought it was just a well or small town thing until Katrina. They had no water pressure in New Orleans.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, importswim said:

I live close to the coast (but not in the cone for Ian) and I will board up and leave for a 3 or higher (I've seen it go from a 3 to a 4 to a 5 in quick succession with no time to get out so I'd rather not take the chance). Being without power and mentally and physically drained from experiencing a hurricane is awful (and something I don't want to do again) and I'd want the best possible frame of mind to deal with the aftermath.

DH is currently in Orlando for work but I'm not as worried about him. We were living in Tampa in an A zone for Charley and were mandatorily evacuated to Orlando (where I grew up) and then Charley changed track and went through Port Charlotte then through were were were in Orlando. I AM concerned that this path looks similar to Charley. I hope that those who are staying are prepared and that it weakens considerably before it hits.

I am thinking the same, that we may get a Charley repeat. 

3 hours ago, KeriJ said:

No. During snowgaddon, we lost water because the water plant in the city ran on electricity. when it lost electricity -- the whole city lost water.

(And I believe Austin was out longer than we were)

Edited by vonfirmath

6 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

No. During snowgaddon, we lost water because the water plant in the city ran on electricity. when it lost electricity -- the whole city lost water.

(And I believe Austin was out longer than we were)

That's a bit weird. Most municipal water systems have water towers (so gravity fed) and/or backup generators for when the power goes out. Our little suburban/rural county water system has assured their customers that there is almost no reason to be concerned that the water wouldn't continue flowing during power outages.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

That's a bit weird. Most municipal water systems have water towers (so gravity fed) and/or backup generators for when the power goes out. Our little suburban/rural county water system has assured their customers that there is almost no reason to be concerned that the water wouldn't continue flowing during power outages.

Sure, if the power goes out for less than 36 hours. But what if it’s out for weeks?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Katy said:

Sure, if the power goes out for less than 36 hours. But what if it’s out for weeks?

Our water company was specifically addressing long term power outages. But I don't know how they define "long term." We're relatively far inland in NC. We've lost power for as long as three days due to hurricane remnants, but our bigger threat is ice storms.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ktgrok said:

some smaller towns have water on weird pumps and such that can go out. 

Also, even if you don't lose water, you can have boil water alerts where it isn't safe to drink/bathe in. 

10 hours ago, Katy said:

I thought it was just a well or small town thing until Katrina. They had no water pressure in New Orleans.

The flooding from Florence (20+ inches of rain fell!) compromised water mains. My town had minimal water pressure.  Those who evacuated inland could not return immediately due to flooded/closed highways.  Those at nearby shelters were not allowed back on the island because of the reduced water pressure/lack of potable water.

Florence stalled after making landfall, hence the extreme rain event.

All bets are off with hurricanes.  No matter how many you have seen, they manage to produce unexpected behavior.

Because we have buried power lines, we rarely lose power with tropical storms.  But roads and bridges can be compromised which means that grocery trucks may not be able to restock stores in a timely fashion.  Florida International University has produced a cookbook that I recommend not only for people in hurricane prone areas but those who experience ice storms. The cookbook has healthy pantry recipes for those without power or who cannot leave their neighborhoods to resupply groceries.

Also: someone upstream recommended bottled or canned coffee.  Yes!  The drop in pressure during a hurricane can trigger a migraine so that big hit of caffeine could assist.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

In hilly/mountainous areas, one must have pump stations to help with the water pressure. Yes they have generators but they’re not necessarily planning for the whole city to be down at once. Also if diesel does the generators is in short supply that can affect the ability to run the generators. 

flooding can contaminate the water plants.

also if there’s heavy t flooding that can wash out and break water lines. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Our water company was specifically addressing long term power outages. But I don't know how they define "long term." We're relatively far inland in NC. We've lost power for as long as three days due to hurricane remnants, but our bigger threat is ice storms.

Yeah but if the water facility floods, then the water is contaminated whether or not they lose power and that can take a long time to get corrected. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jane in NC said:

But roads and bridges can be compromised which means that grocery trucks may not be able to restock stores in a timely fashion

This is SO important to understand. I don’t live in a coastal state, but Sandy had a big impact on our food supply for some time. Not in a severe, starving type way, but enough that it was eerie.  
It wasn’t about our roads, but the roads and fuel supply to get to is.

• Like 5

Yes, and guys, this is sounding to me like it could me a Harvey type situation where it just sits.  So not only do you have all the wind and stuff it sounds like you will have, but areas will be flooded. My SIL couldn't get to her house for over a week. It was surrounded by water.  Guys, please, please, please be careful.

• Like 3

A small cautionary tale--a friend of mine filled her bathtub with water before a storm (really not necessary where we live) and the next morning, found there was a leak in the tub and it had *ruined* everything in the room below it. She had to replace the flooring and I think furniture that had gotten soaked.

They're single-use items, but a tub liner like a Water Bob might be worthwhile for those who want to fill a bathtub.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah but if the water facility floods, then the water is contaminated whether or not they lose power and that can take a long time to get corrected. 

Sure. But potential contamination is a different issue than losing water due to a power outage, which is what I was addressing.

4 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Sure. But potential contamination is a different issue than losing water due to a power outage, which is what I was addressing.

Yeah, but the whole point is that people need to have TONS of water on hand because chances are they will lose water regardless of the reason. 

My brother lives near me on the east coast but was working in Tampa. He was supposed to come home today but because of evacuations he came home yesterday. He installs in ground pools so none of that would be happening anyway. He got caught in the evacuation traffic heading east, and it took him over 5 hours to make the 3 hour drive home. 

• Like 4

Glad he’s safe @Lady Florida.

I was watching an Instagram post of someone I know evacuating yesterday and while I-75N was moving at a snail’s pace she took a video of the Southbound lanes. Filled with supply trucks and ambulances coming to help. She cried. I cried. There really is something to that Mr Rogers saying about in times of trouble looking to the helpers. 

• Like 20

I have family in SE Florida near Fort Lauderdale. They have family near Naples that has evacuated to be with them.  This one is so scary to me.  My nephew was evacuated from his campus (thank goodness) to them. It's so hard to be here and watching this come on. It's a helpless feeling.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, TCB said:

We are worried about my in laws who are near Arcadia, FL. I know there is a really knowledgeable weather reporter on FB, who gives accurate information, but I can’t remember his name.

Mike's Weather Page? He's not a meteorologist though.

https://www.facebook.com/mikesweatherpage

There's also Tom Terry of WFTV. He broke with the NHC forecast and correctly predicted where Charley would hit.

https://www.facebook.com/TomTerryWFTV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the things the governor said this morning was that in the past they haven't changed the rating of a storm from a 4 to a 5 until several days after the storm passes.  As if he meant it will likely be changed later to a 5.  I wonder why that is?  Would it simply make people panic and try to evacuate too late?

I suspect the surge is going to be worse than anticipated.  A cousin posted a video of a beach in the big bend area completely dry.  Windy but no rain there now.  All the water got sucked out into the storm.  Combined with the highest tides of the year this afternoon that 12-18 ft surge seems conservative.

• Sad 6

17 minutes ago, Katy said:

One of the things the governor said this morning was that in the past they haven't changed the rating of a storm from a 4 to a 5 until several days after the storm passes.  As if he meant it will likely be changed later to a 5.  I wonder why that is?  Would it simply make people panic and try to evacuate too late?

Usually it's because they don't know until they review data after it passed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Floridians, can you comment on St. Augustine for me? One of my dearest friends (someone who has been a mom to me in so many ways) lives there. I thought she was north enough to be okay, but she told me her neighborhood was under evacuation orders due to flood concerns. They're NOT on the beach, but they are super close--it's only about a two-minute drive down to the beach. Her husband has fairly advanced dementia and they're both elderly, so she felt that evacuating somewhere was just too much. But she's worried, and now I'm really worried as well. 

Thanks.

• Sad 11

From what I understand that area gets washed out easily. In previous storms whole sections of A1A were washed out and unusable. I'm not sure why it gets more flooding than areas south such as my county and even the Daytona Beach area but it does. 

Are you able to look at this information and figure out how to help her from where you are? There are multiple zones so you'd need her address to know what zone she's in.

Evacuation information -

https://www.sjcemergencymanagement.com/evacinfo.html

Special Assistance -

https://www.sjcemergencymanagement.com/regist.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

From what I understand that area gets washed out easily. In previous storms whole sections of A1A were washed out and unusable. I'm not sure why it gets more flooding than areas south such as my county and even the Daytona Beach area but it does. 

Are you able to look at this information and figure out how to help her from where you are? There are multiple zones so you'd need her address to know what zone she's in.

Evacuation information -

https://www.sjcemergencymanagement.com/evacinfo.html

Special Assistance -

https://www.sjcemergencymanagement.com/regist.html

Thank you for those links--that's so helpful. She will not evacuate to a shelter and is hoping her generator will carry them through. She cannot even think about how hard it would be to manage her husband with his dementia in a hurricane shelter. Most of her go-to people did already evacuate, and I'm way up north nowhere near the hurricane. All I can do from here is pray for her. She's ridden out many hurricanes before this and the concern seemed to be more for the Tampa area, so it didn't occur to me that it might be so much worse this time. 

• Sad 7

9 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Thank you for those links--that's so helpful. She will not evacuate to a shelter and is hoping her generator will carry them through. She cannot even think about how hard it would be to manage her husband with his dementia in a hurricane shelter. Most of her go-to people did already evacuate, and I'm way up north nowhere near the hurricane. All I can do from here is pray for her. She's ridden out many hurricanes before this and the concern seemed to be more for the Tampa area, so it didn't occur to me that it might be so much worse this time. 

I feel bad for them. We're several hours south of where she is or I'd offer to check on them for you. The best you can is keep in touch with her. That way if she needs help and gets flustered maybe you can call someone at those links for her.

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2022 at 10:27 AM, ktgrok said:

There are actual evacuation zones that every address has - they are labled according to need to leave and the state will issue an evacuation order for certain areas.

Beyond that, I've only left once - I think it was Charlie? It was one of the ones that came all in a row. We had no shutters, and my sister 2 hours away had a newer home with hurricane resistant windows. So we all went there. Good move, as debris did break one of the bedroom windows and cause major rain/water damage. 

Charlie, Frances, Jeane (sp?). That was a wild month and a half. I gave birth to my youngest *in the middle* of Charlie. Hard to believe it's been 18 years.

• Like 1