Menu

Hurricane Ian

Katy

It looks like Ian will become the 5th strongest storm to ever hit the continental U.S. Preliminary reports say it made landfall with winds of 155 mph, two mph short of being a Category 5. 

Note: Strongest doesn't mean most devastating or costliest. 

1. Labor Day (The Keys) 1935
2. Camille 1969
3. Andrew 1992
4. Michael 2018

Three of those top four hit Florida. There were several storms tied for fifth place, all with 150 mph winds. Ian bumped them down and they're tied for 6th as Ian took over 5th place. If that report holds it will mean that 4 of the top 5 hit Florida.

Awful pictures are starting to come out of Ft. Myers and Naples and that's before the second half behind the eye has even hit. Storm surge has been petty bad so far and hasn't reached it's peak yet.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 10

10 minutes ago, ikslo said:

The destruction we’re seeing is truly awful.  The shift away from Tampa was good for us, but the prolonged focus on Tampa unfortunately left many south of us feeling they were in the clear.  I fear too many stayed who shouldn’t have.

We have some casual acquaintances in that category who expressed some regret they didn't leave when they had the chance. They are not originally from FL, and they evacuated for the last hurricane that hit their area. Last update on social media says their power is out. 

• Sad 7

56 minutes ago, KSera said:

The amount of water I’m seeing in pictures has me really hoping nobody stayed behind in those areas. That is a scary amount of water. 

Yeah we were on sanibel island this summer and there’s no way all those beachfront condos are ok. I really hope nobody stayed behind. I read they took all the ems and fire department personnel as well as the water department employees off the island. They told the townspeople, Leave. If you stay behind don’t bother calling, we won’t be there to come get you. And boil your water after 1 am.

• Sad 9

7 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Yeah we were on sanibel island this summer and there’s no way all those beachfront condos are ok. I really hope nobody stayed behind. I read they took all the ems and fire department personnel as well as the water department employees off the island. They told the townspeople, Leave. If you stay behind don’t bother calling, we won’t be there to come get you. And boil your water after 1 am.

Sanibel is really just a sand bar in the Gulf and it's become so built up in the past 20 years. Hurricane Charley really hit it hard. I imagine this will be as bad or worse. 😥

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Floridians, can you comment on St. Augustine for me? One of my dearest friends (someone who has been a mom to me in so many ways) lives there. I thought she was north enough to be okay, but she told me her neighborhood was under evacuation orders due to flood concerns. They're NOT on the beach, but they are super close--it's only about a two-minute drive down to the beach. Her husband has fairly advanced dementia and they're both elderly, so she felt that evacuating somewhere was just too much. But she's worried, and now I'm really worried as well. 

Thanks.

It's very low, and swampy, and really should be wetlands not roads and buildings and every hurricane near it ends up flooding parts of it. My aunt lives there and her house had flooded numerous times. Wind won't be a huge concern for them, the issue is flooding. But, if their place has not flooded before it likely won't this time either. 

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

The destruction we’re seeing is truly awful.  The shift away from Tampa was good for us, but the prolonged focus on Tampa unfortunately left many south of us feeling they were in the clear.  I fear too many stayed who shouldn’t have.

Yeah, people do not seem to grasp that they are just speculating - it can hit ANYWHERE near there, north or south. No matter how many times they say that, people don't believe it. You have to prepare if you are anywhere in the cone, or even near the cone. But people think if they are not in the center of the cone, they are fine. 

20 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

They do that every storm for barrier islands/coast/etc. In general, even here inland, they will not put emergency people on the road if there is wind over a certain level, I think 45 mph. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

In general, even here inland, they will not put emergency people on the road if there is wind over a certain level, I think 45 mph. 

Yes, 45 mph. For a while it was a law change. But the governor keeps saying in every press conference it’s ultimately up to local discretion so idk if it changed again or if that was his choice in how to interpret.

• Like 1

I'm shaking I'm so angry with my dad. He's insisting on driving straight through to get home with my mom. If power goes out and storm is too bad to use generator they will have to rely on battery for her oxygen machine. If it lasts long enough his plan is to charge it in the car - but obviously can't do that in closed up garage so would have to open door in a tropical storm? And make her sit in a hot stuffy house. I'm furious with his stubborn old man self right now. and now my mom feels badly that she told me, because she knows I'm worrying. SO ANGRY. 

I wrote him an angry text, but didn't send becasue he's driving, so don't want to distract him. Or have him driving angry. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Sad 26

Just now, ktgrok said:

I'm shaking I'm so angry with my dad. He's insisting on driving straight through to get home with my mom. If power goes out and storm is too bad to use generator they will have to rely on battery for her oxygen machine. If it lasts long enough his plan is to charge it in the car - but obviously can't do that in closed up garage so would have to open door in a tropical storm? And make her sit in a hot stuffy house. I'm furious with his stubborn old man self right now. and now my mom feels badly that she told me, because she knows I'm worrying. SO ANGRY. 

I don't blame you.  I would be as well!!!!

A question for Floridians:  News organizations have been pointing out the number of new residents who have moved to Florida in recent years.  Do these new folks know that even if their mortgage provider doesn't require it, buying FEMA flood insurance is often the wise thing to do?  Those 100 year flood plains are becoming 10 year flood plains.  Without flood insurance, many people find themselves in the cruel reality that homeowners insurance has its limitations.

I live on a NC barrier island.  Bridges close when wind speeds are 45 mph sustained (not just gusts).  Those who chose not to evacuate are told not to expect emergency service assistance until after winds are reduced.  Even then, emergency services can go only where road conditions are safe whatever the wind speed.  We've had the road parallel to the beach covered with the sand from former dunes with small lakes of storm surge. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Last storm to hit the area I had a whole thread on here about how angry I was with them for not evacuating! This time I thought I was in the clear since they were already out of town. sigh. 

I'm sorry. I remember your getting upset with them last time. And why why why would they drive into it??😧

17 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I'm sorry. I remember your getting upset with them last time. And why why why would they drive into it??😧

It seems my dad misses their dog, and knows she doesn't like storms and wants to be there for her. And just wants his own bed or something. I don't know. I'm furious. The man would throw himself in the line of fire for her, but won't stop at a freaking hotel for 2 nights. 

• Sad 12

54 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I wrote him an angry text, but didn't send becasue he's driving, so don't want to distract him. Or have him driving angry. 

Fingers crossed for you that they have blocked off the highways and just can’t get back.

I understand why you are so upset.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Thank you for those links--that's so helpful. She will not evacuate to a shelter and is hoping her generator will carry them through. She cannot even think about how hard it would be to manage her husband with his dementia in a hurricane shelter. Most of her go-to people did already evacuate, and I'm way up north nowhere near the hurricane. All I can do from here is pray for her. She's ridden out many hurricanes before this and the concern seemed to be more for the Tampa area, so it didn't occur to me that it might be so much worse this time. 

I totally understand this feeling. DS24 has severe autism and cognitive delays and it would be impossible to manage his behaviors in a hurricane shelter. I live in the Midwest so no hurricanes for us, but I keep thinking of all the people with special needs family members and how awful this must be for them 😞

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 10

1 hour ago, Jane in NC said:

A question for Floridians:  News organizations have been pointing out the number of new residents who have moved to Florida in recent years.  Do these new folks know that even if their mortgage provider doesn't require it, buying FEMA flood insurance is often the wise thing to do?  Those 100 year flood plains are becoming 10 year flood plains.  Without flood insurance, many people find themselves in the cruel reality that homeowners insurance has its limitations.

We only moved down 4 years ago. We deliberately bought in Flood Zone X where  no insurance was required - and we STILL bought the separate flood insurance (and made sure it was paid up before this storm). I don’t know if others know this, but we managed to figure it out. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

I keep thinking of all the people with special needs family members and how awful this must be for them 😞

I have a little experience with how shelters are run (helped the county employees practice and have basic "FAST" - functional assessment and support team - training). You tell the person at the entrance when you arrive what the needs are, and they do everything they can. If there's a separate small room, for example - like a classroom in a school building where the main shelter area is the gym - that family might be assigned to it if a member needs to be away from crowds and noise. Here in NC, we also have a small book called "Show Me" to help with communication, whether with people who are nonverbal, hard of hearing, non-English language speakers, etc. It would still probably not be a pleasant experience, especially for those who struggle with changes in place and routine, but meeting the needs of all shelter guests is a high priority.

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I just left a Costco in central MD and it looked like people were stocking up on water. ????? Maybe that’s their normal haul but it just seemed busier than it should be on a Weds at 7pm. Maybe they just don’t want to leave the house once the rain starts?

This posted  like three times. You were really bothered by that water purchase 🙂

• Haha 9

In not terrible updates, my parents are now as far south as Jacksonville. I do NOT want to know how fast they drove to get there that fast. Mom says dad is driving "slow and safe" and my DH called malarky. Sigh. 

Winds are really picking up, rain bands are yucky, I cannot imagine being on the road. 

Also, at least two of the counties they will drive through have curfews in effect. Not sure if those apply to the highway. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I just left a Costco in central MD and it looked like people were stocking up on water. ????? Maybe that’s their normal haul but it just seemed busier than it should be on a Weds at 7pm. Maybe they just don’t want to leave the house once the rain starts?

Interesting.  I was just in Wegmans in NJ and same thing.  I haven’t seen the store that busy at near 8. The shelf with gallon size water was almost bare.  And the normal sized bottled water bottles were really limited. 

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Seeing lightening - so weird to see that in a storm like this. 

(also just heard it is only 62 degrees in Jacksonville - all sorts of weirdness with this storm! It is normally way hotter)

I hope it's more weird than dangerous. With a bit more luck your dad will be telling you, "I told you so." You can still be annoyed with him. lol Take care!

• Like 2

I’m not surprised people are buying up bottled water.  They either use it and know it will get harder to find in the coming weeks or they’re donating it to be sent down on a supply truck. Most of the churches we’ve been involved with sent at least 1 semi of supplies to a cat 4 storm. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

My parents are home. Son is home. Sister is at her school as it is a shelter. Had a meth addict OD, and all sorts of crazy there. 

glad they made it.  I'm sorry about all the added stress!  

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

We just lost power. 

My friend in central FL said theirs went out just after 5pm and I saw on the news over 1 million so far but I'm sure that will increase.  😞  

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

My sister is sharing video of a bunch of her trees just snapping in the wind. She’s west II the scariest stuff, but the wind is no joke. Her daughter is in Tampa. 

My friend in Tampa shared something from the Tampa police begging people to stay off the roads.  There was a video of a traffic light coming down and just crashing to the ground and trees down everywhere.  Definitely scary stuff even if they are not taking a direct hit.  

The footage from Ft. Myers is just heartbreaking.  😞

• Sad 5

Got the word this morning that they are activating the FEMA task force my ambulance company is part of for deployment.  This was not expected in the planning meetings earlier this week(for them to deploy task forces thus far away), which tells me the authorities now believe the devastation is worse than they’d planned for. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 20

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Got the word this morning that they are activating the FEMA task force my ambulance company is part of for deployment.  This was not expected in the planning meetings earlier this week(for them to deploy task forces thus far away), which tells me the authorities now believe the devastation is worse than they’d planned for. 

That is not surprising both from the pictures and that Ian came on shore higher powered than expected -- and with the winds different. I was watching storm chasers and the winds AFTER the eyewall were worse than the ones before. And so much was already weakened with the first winds.

ETA: And Ian is SO slow moving that places were just pounded with the rain and wind.

Edited by vonfirmath

16 minutes ago, Katy said:

While I’m not a fan of his past performance/ publicity antics, it seems like DeSantis is doing an exceptional job.  I’m impressed with the competence. 

Yeah, I have to reluctantly agree. He's a Florida native. He understands the seriousness of hurricanes.

Trying not to get political but I think it's funny that several times he publicly thanked...someone. 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

We are far enough north that we only got TS winds, and very little rain. We lost a couple of plants that couldn't be covered, and the neighbors have a lot of tree debris to remove. Power went off and on a few times in the early morning hours and we lost (hopefully only) a well pump capacitor. The road next to us did lose power for a while. Winds are still intense and temps are low (and really nice considering we have been mid90s).

• Like 2