Menu

What do you have/want in your bedroom?

Janeway

I have a big bedroom. It did not used to seem big, with book shelves and night stands and a rocking chair and a crib and a toddler bed, and a child's tent and several baskets of little children books in it. But now I have cleaned it out and rid of both night stands. I brought in two nicer shelves (from Costco, ladder style) and rid of the old cheapy bookshelf I had in here. I culled down the books and put the remaining baskets on the new shelves and removed the glider rocker from the room. The crib and toddlers beds and child's tent are all gone as well as the toy box of baby toys. My room looks bare! 

Maybe I should sit back and enjoy the clean look and get used to having so much less in here. The room seems huge now. We also have a huge closet so we do not have any dressers or anything in the bedroom. I might bring back in the rocker and the child's tent (he was so cute in here at night, playing with his kitty cats in the tent with his lantern) and maybe refinish a desk to put in here. But I am not sure what else to consider. I am also thinking of giving the rocker to my sweet niece who is expecting a baby.

• Like 3

My favorite part of my bedroom is my reading corner with an overstuff chair to curl up in, a small table to hold drinks and books, and a floor lamp. I often use this area when I'm on my tablet or doing a handicraft like cross stitch or crochet. It sits right next to a southern facing window. I love it. My favorite spot in the whole house by far.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

My favorite part of my bedroom is my reading corner with an overstuff chair to curl up in, a small table to hold drinks and books, and a floor lamp. I often use this area when I'm on my tablet or doing a handicraft like cross stitch or crochet. It sits right next to a southern facing window. I love it. My favorite spot in the whole house by far.

Oh, that sounds absolutely lovely!  I don't think I'd ever leave!  🙂

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I was thinking a nice comfy chair might be better than the glider I have since I no longer have babies to rock and it’s difficult to  rock while reading a book or working on something.

• Like 1

I love our bedroom. It’s very simple. I like to have a beautiful candle holder with a tea light burning, while listening to the Better Sleep app….some calming piano music. We have matching night stands and lamps and a large humidifier on one night stand. Mine has my iPad, so there’s anything I want to read or watch. There are hand lotions and lip balms in the drawer. Everything needed for coziness. There’s a weighted blanket with pink flamingos on it that comes out in the fall. I love that thing. 

Sometimes, on a gloomy day, I keep the blinds closed and play rain sounds and piano music at the same time. It feels so real….like it’s really raining outside. 

My cat is usually curled up with me when I’m relaxing in bed. It’s just so peaceful.

• Like 4

What I have in my bedroom: 

- A large dog crate where the border collie puppy spends parts of his days with me while I work

- My computer desk, chair, etc. so that I can work from home

- A large dog bed for the older dog to lay on during the work day

None of these items are great to look at, but they are totally functional for now. 😉  You do what you gotta do!

• Like 2

more space. 

I have a family heirloom bench (made by my great-aunt's first husband) in there I plan on having recovered and putting a tray on top - will use as a living room table.  I just need to do it.  I know there is some damage that needs to be repaired.  That would be great to get out of my room.  (and I could get rid of the table in my living room that I've stuck in front of the fireplace so people don't injure themselves on its spikey corners.)

I got rid of one chest height chest of drawers and a too small nightstand - those were replaced with one three drawer chest of drawers that is the perfect height for a nightstand.

I did elfa closet organizers - so I could get rid of the taller chest of drawers.  (now - if dh would get rid of clothes he hasn't worn since before we met . . . . )

My current bedroom is smaller, but in our last home we had half with the bed and two large nightstands, and the other half was “my” space with a wall full of bookshelves on one side, my desk and a craft area on the other side, and a loveseat and coffee table with a cozy blanket next to the windows. 

Space. I love that we have space in our bedroom. And light, good light. Our bedroom is large, with vaulted ceilings. It’s faux finished with my all time favorite color, and the floor is a hand hewn, finished in place floor made by the former woodworking owner. I like being able to see it, and the walls. So not over-furnishing the room is a priority. 

We have a huge canvas print of sunlight through trees on one wall. The antique dressing table that belonged to my best friend before she passed, and DH’s dresser which was our first furniture purchase together. My great grandparents’ small rocking chair, and a quilt rack that holds a very special, abstract quilt. Bed and nightstands. 

Other than that, a couch with a fuzzy rug in front of it, and some low nesting tables beside it that we move as needed for coffee table, etc. The couch is the best ever for kids who come running into our room in the night (not that anyone else has that issue!). DD often keeps books and her kindle on the tables, and tucks her extra pillow out of sight near the couch so she can grab it in the night and cuddle under the throw.

It sounds like a lot, but there is a ton of empty space. I like it that way.

• Like 1

We have the usual--bed, dresser, chest of drawers, and two night stands. A pedestal fan for white noise and to help keep me cool. But then things get maybe a little weird with the dog grooming table and extra dresser to store grooming tools, shampoo, etc. 😉 We've got plenty of seating/relaxing space in the rest of the house, but nowhere else that the dog grooming stuff could go and still be handy for use. So the bedroom it is. Thankfully it's a good sized room and doesn't feel crowded at all.

• Like 2

I have most of my life (including my job) and much of my kids' lives in my bedroom.

My bedroom isn't large ... I think it's 11x13?  I think it's the smallest bedroom in the house.

What's in it:

• Wide closet - hanging clothes, some file archives, some stacked clothes, linens, my laundry bin, tools, and some miscellaneous things.  I also hide Christmas gifts in there.
  • Regular dresser with mirror, and a taller dresser/cabinet - mostly for clothes - also a few keepsakes and travel things.
  • Full sized bed.
  • Bedside stand with 2 drawers.  Holds my clock and some pictures on top, miscellaneous stuff in the drawers.
  • A moon chair in the corner by window 1.  Behind the moon chair, against the walls, are low shelving units full of books.  I used to sit there for at least an hour a day, reading and studying while listening to music and sipping coffee.  Then I became a mom and didn't read at all for years.  Now I have tailbone issues and it hurts to sit.  So we'll see if I ever get back to that.
  • My "fitdesk."  This is basically an exercise bike with a surface for my computer.  It's where I work / play on the internet when I'm not on dog duty.  It's next to window 2.  Also under window 2 is another low shelving unit where I store important papers/files, some small storage pieces for little things like office supplies.  My coffee cup warmer and CD player are also there.  In the nearest corner is a CD rack holding the music I like to listen to.
  • Under my bed I have a plastic thingy that holds Christmas wrap supplies, a bag of old shoes, and some old electronic stuff I should probably get rid of.
Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

I have a big bedroom (too big in my opinion). We ended up filling the space with a treadmill and lots of storage. I share a walk-in closet with my husband, we both have a 6 drawer dresser to ourselves, a regular closet for my purses and shoes, 2 drawers underneath the bed for each person, and each person has an end table with 2 drawers. Somehow this still means there is a stack/pile of books on both sides of our bed.  

• Like 1

As for what I want, I want to divide my room into two rooms. I would use the second (smaller) room as an office space and free up the current office space as a guest bedroom. Since it's a dream all the garbage in my garage would be gone so the treadmill can go into the gym space in the garage.

Alas the layout of the master bedroom/bathroom does not allow it to easily convert into two rooms.

My old bedroom had a queen bed, two large nightstands, large dresser, two bookshelves, small dog crate, elliptical machine, weight bench, rocking chair, and tons of random stuff stashed all over, on surfaces and under the bed.

My new bedroom is larger in size, but very inefficient in layout. The left side is mostly unusable because we have 2 closet doors and a bathroom door taking up the whole left wall. The right wall is mostly window.  And we upgraded in size (not quality; don’t get me started) to a king bed.

It’s currently the bed, two small nightstands, rocking chair, small dog crate, and a few remaining boxes of stuff that goes in closets. And you know what? I think I love it.

I want to add a little table and rug for the rocking chair, but I think that’s going to be it for “stuff”.  It needs wall decor and some accent lighting, but I am digging the minimalist vibe. 

The bedroom we had for 25 years was in a 100+ year-old house, where every bedroom was small.  So even though we had a comfy chair, a vanity (because it came with my dh's grandparents' furniture), a nightstand, a dresser, and a cradle in the early years,  I rarely spent any time in the room except to sleep.  It just felt too crowded and away from everything.  The armchair was mostly used to throw clothes until I had a chance to hang them up, and the vanity was used for storage.  We did have an upstairs porch off of that bedroom though which was definitely used!  (Our kids slept on it every summer.)

For the first time, we now have a bedroom that's actually BIG.  We have the typical bed, dressers, nightstands, but the second half of the room is a sitting area -- two comfy chairs, a book shelf, and a table, with lots of room by a wall that's all windows.  It feels very spacious and peaceful so now it feels nice to sit there sometimes.  It's also handy because we seem to have a lot of overnight visitors and it's nice to have our own space to get away for a bit.

Our bedroom is huge. We just moved into this house over the summer and haven’t finished furnishing and decorating all the rooms. Our closet (which is also huge) has  dresser and shelving and hanging clothes. The bedroom has our bed, nightstands, and two accent chairs and ottomans that I started setting up as a sitting area. I also am planning to get a side table and lamp for that area and some sort of dresser or console table for one wall that needs something else. 
This post was my inspiration picture (the redo with the single chair) but what I ended up getting is very different. It always help me to start with an inspiration picture. 

• Like 1

Open space in a room is luxurious to me - it’s so calming. 

We have a large bedroom also. In it we have: king bed, 2 large nightstands, a dresser, a recliner, two scissor ottomans (at the bottom of the bed) and a very old trunk that was made by my great uncle back in the 40’s or so.  We have about 4’ to walk around each side of the bed and 5 - 5 1/2 feet at the bottom of the bed.  We have a smallish production painting of “birds on a wire” (their names are Jed, Leo - though sometimes Leo is Charlie, Sam, CJ, Josh, Donna and Will) over the dresser. Behind each nightstand is a metalwork arch with flowers & butterflies filling in the space. 

One *big* bed, nightstands on each side with wall-mounted lamps. Right now, and for the forseeable future, I have a sofa and chair that were my grandparents'. 50s Ethan Allen, I don't know if I'll keep them or not [insert long story], but for now, I have room, and they are comforting to me.

I never spend time in my bedroom during the day, so a comfy chair would be lovely, but it would be just for looks. 🙂

I would enjoy the empty for a bit and decide if you really want anything else in there. 

I have a king size bed, two nightstands (we use them), a small antique couch, an antique free standing record player, and a very old glass case.  The three antiques are the pieces of furniture I would actually cry over if the boys (who still sword play / nerf battle in the house) harmed.  So they stay safe there.  Eventually I would like the record player elsewhere.  I don't actually hang out in my bedroom except for when going to sleep or when wanting a private conversation so there is no need to have more.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 6:15 AM, kristin0713 said:

Our bedroom is huge. We just moved into this house over the summer and haven’t finished furnishing and decorating all the rooms. Our closet (which is also huge) has  dresser and shelving and hanging clothes. The bedroom has our bed, nightstands, and two accent chairs and ottomans that I started setting up as a sitting area. I also am planning to get a side table and lamp for that area and some sort of dresser or console table for one wall that needs something else. 
This post was my inspiration picture (the redo with the single chair) but what I ended up getting is very different. It always help me to start with an inspiration picture. 

I love the inspiration picture!!!!

In the spring, I rearranged our bedroom to make more room. It did have a queen bed with large mission-style head and footboards, large dresser with mirror (took up one wall), a vertical dresser/high boy, and a wall of bookshelves. All the furniture was dark and big. 

Then DH had a health crisis, and we realized that the current bed would be too high for him to comfortably climb into (it was super high, lol) so I cleared it all out. Got a bigger bed, but low profile and no footboard — wow, that really opened up the space! Removed the long dresser with mirror, so that wall is completely empty/open. Swapped out the highboy for a lighter-tone one. (Kept the book wall because…books.) All in all, so much more open and breezy feeling. I much prefer that. 

• Like 1

I have a small bedroom with too much furniture in it, but we have limited storage space in house. I have a queen bed, two nightstands, 2 bookcases, and 3 dressers. (One holds linens and other stuff, not clothing.) 

If I could, I would have a reading nook. I think in order for that to fit, I would have to get rid of the dressers and switch to a twin bed, lol.