Menu

Older TV shows

ProudGrandma

Just curious, if you are currently (or have in the past) watched older TV shows, what were your favorites?  I am not necessarily talking old, black and white....just shows that are no longer on regular TV.  Bonus if you tell me what streaming service you are watching them from.  

We re-watch 7th Heaven and Gilmore Girls often. I purchased both on Amazon because 7th moved around a lot and GG is exclusive to Netflix,  which I hate.

I also like Burn Notice and White Collar, which are usually on Amazon Prime or Hulu. 

1 minute ago, Katy said:

We re-watch 7th Heaven and Gilmore Girls often. I purchased both on Amazon because 7th moved around a lot and GG is exclusive to Netflix,  which I hate.

I also like Burn Notice and White Collar, which are usually on Amazon Prime or Hulu. 

I used to watch GG on Netflix, but we no longer do that....I haven't seen 7th Heaven since it was "real" TV....I will check out the other 2 also.  Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Recently, we have watched Family Ties and Love Boat on Pluto.  DH has also been watching The Prisoner (I can't remember what he watches it on) which I find the best cure for insomnia--it puts me right to sleep.  

Pluto has commercials, right? 

I watch almost exclusively old TV shows because of content in most current ones.  

I have loved recently:

7th heaven (prime)

Dr Quinn medicine woman (prime)

Wind at my back (Sullivan)

Road to avonlea (library but Sullivan has it too)

Family affair (prime)

All creatures great and small from the 1970s(britbox)

Sue Thomas, FBeye (prime or up faith and family) Absolutely phenomenal

Snowy river the McGregor saga (up Faith and family)

Ties that bind (up Faith and family only one season)

Heartland (up faith and family but it's still being produced too)

Little men (various but currently on Up faith and family)

I will often catch old episodes of things like I love Lucy and the dick van Dyke show and similar also. 

Of all the listed ones, Sue Thomas is hands down my favorite. I've watched it through 2 complete times and then some. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

I watch almost exclusively old TV shows because of content in most current ones.  

I have loved recently:

7th heaven (prime)

Dr Quinn medicine woman (prime)

Wind at my back (Sullivan)

Road to avonlea (library but Sullivan has it too)

Family affair (prime)

All creatures great and small from the 1970s(britbox)

Sue Thomas, FBeye (prime or up faith and family) Absolutely phenomenal

Snowy river the McGregor saga (up Faith and family)

Ties that bind (up Faith and family only one season)

Heartland (up faith and family but it's still being produced too)

Little men (various but currently on Up faith and family)

I will often catch old episodes of things like I love Lucy and the dick van Dyke show and similar also. 

Of all the listed ones, Sue Thomas is hands down my favorite. I've watched it through 2 complete times and then some. 

wow...thanks for this list.  I agree with not liking the content of most current shows....

5 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

I was a huge fan of the movies when I was a kid, but I had no idea there was a TV show!  With Hugh Jackman, Guy Pierce and Josh Lucas!  Yes, please!

I've seen this as an option, but I had no idea that was the cast and kind of assumed it would not have anything to do with the movies, lol! I might need to try this out.

• Like 1

We love Northern Exposure!  I cannot find it on any streaming service.  If anyone knows of one, do share!  I have resorted to checking the actual DVDs out from the library.  Actually, another library in my state via ILL, which makes it even more of a PITA.

3 minutes ago, skimomma said:

We love Northern Exposure!  I cannot find it on any streaming service.  If anyone knows of one, do share!  I have resorted to checking the actual DVDs out from the library.  Actually, another library in my state via ILL, which makes it even more of a PITA.

I LOVE Northern Exposure, and I bought the DVDs, but they don't have the music from the show.  Apparently the rights to music is why none of the streaming services carry it.  It's so frustrating!  One of the best shows ever!

27 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

Pluto has commercials, right? 

Yes it does.  I get an odd combination of mostly local/regional commercials.  For some reason I saw a lot of political ads for an area that is several hundred miles away when it was having local elections.

1 hour ago, Katy said:

I hate Gilmore Girls, but I know I've seen it listed on some channel on Dish satellite, there were times when it was on all day. I looked just now and UP tv has it daily but of course there are commercials.

9 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Has anyone seen Inspector Morse?  I have been watching Endeavour (not old, but on Prime) and I have never seen the show that it was spun off from.  It seems like I need a subscription to watch it. I just wasn't sure if it was worth it.

I've watched both Endeavor and Inspector Morse on PBS.  Also Father Brown and Midsomer Murders 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I LOVE Northern Exposure, and I bought the DVDs, but they don't have the music from the show.  Apparently the rights to music is why none of the streaming services carry it.  It's so frustrating!  One of the best shows ever!

That's my understanding as well.  The ancient DVDs I have been borrowing do have the music, somehow?  But they are in such bad shape, I don't think they will be in circulation much longer.  I also have the soundtrack DVDs with the original music from way back when it aired.  I wish someone would figure this out because the show is awesome and should not be withheld from the world!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I've watched both Endeavor and Inspector Morse on PBS.  Also Father Brown and Midsomer Murders 

I couldn't get into Midsomer Murders. I started watching it on Prime and couldn't finish even a season.

I need to revisit Father Brown.

We don't have a PBS streaming subscription but we do have the local PBS station.  

28 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I couldn't get into Midsomer Murders. I started watching it on Prime and couldn't finish even a season.

I need to revisit Father Brown.

We don't have a PBS streaming subscription but we do have the local PBS station.  

Mine is just the local tv station. I don’t pay for any of my tv viewing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

Has anyone seen Inspector Morse?  I have been watching Endeavour (not old, but on Prime) and I have never seen the show that it was spun off from.  It seems like I need a subscription to watch it. I just wasn't sure if it was worth it.

Yes, I've seen Inspector Morse on Britbox. I also like Lewis, a series where Morse's side kick continued on after Morse dies. I think I prefer Lewis, actually. I used to be able to access Lewis on Netflix, but not anymore (and it's not on Britbox, either).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

Amazon Prime has a big selection of PBS shows, like these. However, they don’t all of the episodes.

we plan to get a BritBox subscription over the winter to see more of these shows. They are truly our favorites.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elegantlion said:

Right now we're watching Burn Notice (Amazon Prime/Freevee -which has commercials but not overally obnoxious)

I loved Burn Notice. Chuck is also really good as well (a spy show like Burn Notice but more comedic) also on Amazon Prime.

I think Star trek TNG, Voyager, Enterprise and DS9 are on Netflix. (Update some of them have already left or are about to leave this year.) 

If you are in a mood for deeper show Battlestar Galactica. My husband owns the DVDs so I don't know where/if it's streamable. If you like space Farscape is also fantastic now on Amazon Prime (it's less intense than Battlestar Galactica).  Firefly is another good one but I don't know if it's streamable.

Funny, that's why I never watch old TV shows - because of the problematic content. Even if it isn't outright whatever-ist, it's never very diverse. Why would I want to watch something like that? Sure, if the writing and acting is just excellent - but let's be real, usually it's not. So it's not-diverse, often toxic, almost certainly misogynistic, little to no non-white or disabled representation, definitely no *good* or *healthy* LGBTQ+ representation - ugh! That's not content I want to waste my time on.

21 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Funny, that's why I never watch old TV shows - because of the problematic content. Even if it isn't outright whatever-ist, it's never very diverse. Why would I want to watch something like that? Sure, if the writing and acting is just excellent - but let's be real, usually it's not. So it's not-diverse, often toxic, almost certainly misogynistic, little to no non-white or disabled representation, definitely no *good* or *healthy* LGBTQ+ representation - ugh! That's not content I want to waste my time on.

I am sitting in the hospital with my dad this week. We have been watching a lot of shows on TVLand. A couple of days ago we watched an awful episode of Bonanza that would never fly in today’s word. I am surprised that it would even be broadcast today. 
Andy Griffin show hasn’t been too bad.

13 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is an older show that I'd recommend because of how it addresses many of the above issues. SO and I finished a rewatch of the entire series. Unlike some of the episodes of ST: The Next Generation, DS9 almost views like it was made for today. 

• Like 1

For ones I watched i consider rewatchable.  (I now watch very little TV vs my mother that watched TV all. evening. long.  every night.)

Magnum PI - Tom Selleck version

Carol Burnett Show (you can find some of her skits on youtube. - If you're familiar with her, the very last episode "guest spot" is worth seeing.)

MASH

Burn Notice

ST-TOS

Remington Steele  (it was really interesting when Cassandra Harris guest starred - I didn't know who she was, but the chemistry between her and Pierce Brosnan was very apparent.)

Columbo

NCIS (I stopped watching shortly after Cote de Pablo/Ziva David, and finally Michael Weatherly/Tony Dinozzo left.)

Some I've not seen in syndication, but would at least merit a rewatch to check out.

Alias Smith and Jones

Kung Fu

Dh and I just finished watching all of Stargate SG1. All seasons are streaming on Netflix. He watched it to the end back when it was on but I only saw an episode here and there of the last two seasons. Now we're watching Stargate Atlantis on Hulu. He watched a few episodes back when but I've never seen any from this one.

We're considering starting over with Justified. We don't remember where we left off though we think it was the end of Season 2. We figured we'd start over and just watch it all to the end. It's on Prime. 

Other older shows we watched though not recently are Warehouse 13 and Eureka. We never finished either one back when they were showing but as with the above, we started from the beginning. Warehouse 13 is on Prime, Eureka is on Disney Plus and I think Prime. 

I like watching Arrested Development but dh isn't a fan. It's on Netflix and possibly Hulu.

5 hours ago, elegantlion said:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is an older show that I'd recommend because of how it addresses many of the above issues. SO and I finished a rewatch of the entire series. Unlike some of the episodes of ST: The Next Generation, DS9 almost views like it was made for today. 

I've tried to get into DS9. I love Voyager and Next Gen, and we are enjoying Strange New Worlds and Picard now. I had a hard time getting into DS9, though and have had multiple people recommend it. Did you have to get through a few episodes to get into it? I feel like it was very Ferengi heavy to start and they tend to annoy me (I know they're supposed to). 

As far as older shows, DH and I have been rewatching Frasier, which aside from a few cringey moments here and there, has held up pretty well. Also seconding Star Trek!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

I've tried to get into DS9. I love Voyager and Next Gen, and we are enjoying Strange New Worlds and Picard now. I had a hard time getting into DS9, though and have had multiple people recommend it. Did you have to get through a few episodes to get into it? I feel like it was very Ferengi heavy to start and they tend to annoy me (I know they're supposed to). 

As far as older shows, DH and I have been rewatching Frasier, which aside from a few cringey moments here and there, has held up pretty well. Also seconding Star Trek!

I watched it all when it originally aired, so my fondness for the series was already set. On rewatch, season 1 feels a bit clunky. Quark's bar is a major set piece yet they do display some non-annoying characteristics after a while. I would definitely give it a few episodes if it's not quite clicking yet. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

I thought I didn't like DS9. I actually resisted watching it for a long time, because I thought I hated it. Once I really sat down with it, though, it became my favorite series of the whole franchise, so I think getting through those first few episodes definitely helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elegantlion said:

I watched it all when it originally aired, so my fondness for the series was already set. On rewatch, season 1 feels a bit clunky. Quark's bar is a major set piece yet they do display some non-annoying characteristics after a while. I would definitely give it a few episodes if it's not quite clicking yet. 

1 hour ago, MrsMommy said:

I thought I didn't like DS9. I actually resisted watching it for a long time, because I thought I hated it. Once I really sat down with it, though, it became my favorite series of the whole franchise, so I think getting through those first few episodes definitely helps.

That's what I keep hearing! I'll keep going with it - thank you!!

• Like 2

Murder She Wrote, Grim, West Wing, Designated Survivor.

I haven’t done it yet but I watched Season 1 Episode 1 of Cheers to try to explain Ted Danson to my son, who only knows him from Curb Your Enthusiasm.  I thought it was funny but way too sexist, I think it’s likely I will re-watch it at some point.  

I love Julian, the Captain, Quark, Major Kira, all the Bajoran and Kardassian stuff.  I love Odo.  I love Jake and Rom.  I love Dax.  I love the way they set up the Jem’Hadar.  I have a soft spot for Garak. 

I do really like Deep Space Nine!  

I like a lot of the Klingon stuff too, and when Worf comes in.  I do like B’elanna from Voyager too for Klingon stuff.