Menu

Stuff you think you don’t like….but you never really tried

Ottakee

41 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I'm pretty certain I would hate sky diving. I'll never know for sure.

I went to try and get over my fear of heights.  It is super amazing but completely terrified me too.  I wish I could have just enjoyed it.  Oh and I still afraid of heights.

• Like 3

On 6/15/2022 at 7:30 PM, Clarita said:

Durian I've never really tried but I'm afraid to. 

Magnolia brand durian ice cream is quite authentic in taste. The actual durian is rather pungent. I prefer the whitish flesh durian with a slight bitter taste. The yellow flesh durian from Malaysia is sweeter. Thailand durian has more flesh but is more bland. 

OP,

We had line dancing for PE where I am from. As for food, I think I haven’t rejected trying anything including grilled or deep fried insects in Thailand. Had eaten lots of sashimi. Chinese food does include ears, tongue, intestines, kidneys and all kinds of body parts. I would not try monkey brains because the monkey is still alive while people are eating it’s brain. 

• Sad 4

I think for me it's marijuana. Friends smoke, it's legal here, I bought it for friends so I've even been in the dispensaries.

I've gotten drunk twice. One because it was fun to try it out and one because I wanted to escape everyone and everything after my sister died. I'm not eager to be more than buzzed anymore. 

I like to be in control of myself in general and don't really want to become addicted to stuff so I'm not really chomping at the bit to try it. 

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Well, don’t search about it on Google or YouTube. Else its a nightmare. I didn’t know until I watched a documentary about it. 

It's that, the snake organs thing and the live chicks in eggs. I want my food completely dead before I'm eating them. Pretty sure I won't enjoy them because I tried lobster sashimi before served with the head. Yup the still moving head really killed my appetite. 

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Clarita said:

It's that, the snake organs thing and the live chicks in eggs. 

Don’t Google the word balut and don’t buy that if you (general) see that in a Vietnamese or Filipino supermarket with the other eggs.

I have seen snakes being killed to be used in TCM. I am not going to try snake bile because it’s harmful. 

• Sad 1

I have always hated sour cream.  Wouldn’t go near it. The other day I ordered a burrito with my usual NO sour cream but they included it anyways by accident.  

I ate it.  

I did not die.  

Not sure I will start ordering it BUT I learned I no longer have to worry if a bit of sour cream migrates to my side of the nachos at the baseball game or something.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

Isn't Marmite something really gross?  

No no, Marmite is the food of the gods. It's the essence of umami.  The Platonic ideal of soy sauce.  It probably helps to be introduced to it young though. 

Oh, I never wanted to try to eat sea slug or turtle,  but found myself in social situations where I couldn't refuse. Turtle was okay - a bit like duck, I seem to remember.  Sea slug was indeed texturally revolting.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

.  Isn't Marmite something really gross?  Or am I confusing it with Vegemite? 

Marmite and vegemite are acquired taste. People either like or dislike them. 

3 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

No no, Marmite is the food of the gods. It's the essence of umami.  The Platonic ideal of soy sauce.  It probably helps to be introduced to it young though. 

CostPlus World Market here sells marmite and vegemite but they don’t carry borvil. Indian supermarkets here sell marmite. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

I have always hated sour cream.  Wouldn’t go near it. The other day I ordered a burrito with my usual NO sour cream but they included it anyways by accident.  

I ate it.  

I did not die.  

Not sure I will start ordering it BUT I learned I no longer have to worry if a bit of sour cream migrates to my side of the nachos at the baseball game or something.  

I felt this way about mayo. Mayo could not touch my food. Nope. Now I can eat it without dying.

4 hours ago, Spryte said:

I felt this way about mayo. Mayo could not touch my food. Nope. Now I can eat it without dying.

My mom didn't like mayonnaise for the longest time because she found the name kind of gross. One day I come home to her excitedly telling me about a new awesome food for work lunches. It's a sandwich with MAYO. Apparently she was OK with it as long as it didn't have the "nnaise".

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

And I thought of another one---- Disney World/Park and any other theme parks. (I have been to Six Flags and Universal Studios--- entirely not the same as Disney but also not my cup of tea)

Never been, never want to go. Nothing about the experience is the least bit appealing to me. We will not be a family taking our family to Disney. For as much as it costs we'd rather take them to visit far away places.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Soror said:

And I thought of another one---- Disney World/Park and any other theme parks. (I have been to Six Flags and Universal Studios--- entirely not the same as Disney but also not my cup of tea)

Never been, never want to go. Nothing about the experience is the least bit appealing to me. We will not be a family taking our family to Disney. For as much as it costs we'd rather take them to visit far away places.

Same. Even Harry Potter World, even though I adore HP. 

• Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 2:20 PM, wintermom said:

Mussels are actually quite different, and much better in my opinion, than clams. I love clam chowder, but if there are actual pieces of clam in it I probably won't eat the clam/rubber. 😉 

I've only ever had canned, smoked oysters, which I'm sure are not the best way to eat them. I'm willing to try them done another, much better way. I've seen on TV the kind that you just slide down your throat, and it seems like a weird way to eat really expensive food. Do people actually want to avoid tasting it, but feel pressured to consume them for some reason? 😅

I love smoked and fried oysters, but do not get the appeal of raw oysters. I eat sushi, so I don’t mind raw, but swallowing an expensive food so quickly does not compute with me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soror said:

This was my first thought but I was afraid of the Disney fan wrath. 🤣 I’m not sure there is any magic that can make up for wading through throngs of sweaty people in the Florida sun and paying dearly for the privilege. Then you’re adding long lines and crying, stressed toddlers to the equation? 

• Haha 6

My brother worked for Disney for over 25 years, up until a couple months ago.  So, we've been a few times since we could get in free/had a place to stay.  Although our last trip, we did a package because they had changed the rules for employees.  

My kids were super NOT into it the last trip.  They were 8 and 10, I think.  Our other visits ds was a baby or they weren't born yet.   They liked some of the rides, the parades were okay, but they were pretty meh on the whole thing.  Definitely not enough excitement to justify the price, but I guess its good we did it once when they were old enough to really make their opinion known and won't waste the money in the future.   My sons favorite thing was playing the Wizards game around the park, and getting to eat popcorn for breakfast every day (there were NO other breakfast options he would eat at that age that were available in the parks).

That same trip we spent a week at the beach and went kayaking with manatees.  The kids were just as excited, if not more so, about the beach and kayaking.

My oldest likes Disney, and amusement parks in general.   My younger kids do not like roller coasters or crazy rides.  You would have thought that we were going to crash land for real when we took them on Mission Space, they were so hysterical.  And we did the tamer version of the ride.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Soror said:

I never had an interest. Then they built a small Disney in Hong Kong on the same outlying island where we lived,  and all the kids' friends had gone, so we went. It was fine, but I was glad our investment was just day tickets and bus fare.

• Like 1

Swimming. I had this idea that you had to be a certain body type and not dress modestly. I did not even knew modest swim wear existed. But it is a skill I learned as an adult and it is truly one of my happy places.

Hiking. I have issues with weather, bugs and bathroom so I had this idea that I will not like it. But during the pandemic and going stir crazy, we tried it and thanks to advice I got on the board, we are now regularly hike. I guess I forgot about the fresh air and bird song, bird watching and all the other lovely things of hiking and built up the negatives in my head.

Dancing. Fear of being terrible kept me away. But I am actually paying to learn. Still terrible but gives me joy.

Moral of the story, do not assume about things before trying and sometimes even being terrible at it brings great joy. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, DreamerGirl said:

Swimming. I had this idea that you had to be a certain body type and not dress modestly. I did not even knew modest swim wear existed. But it is a skill I learned as an adult and it is truly one of my happy places.

Hiking. I have issues with weather, bugs and bathroom so I had this idea that I will not like it. But during the pandemic and going stir crazy, we tried it and thanks to advice I got on the board, we are now regularly hike. I guess I forgot about the fresh air and bird song, bird watching and all the other lovely things of hiking and built up the negatives in my head.

Dancing. Fear of being terrible kept me away. But I am actually paying to learn. Still terrible but gives me joy.

Moral of the story, do not assume about things before trying and sometimes even being terrible at it brings great joy. 

I think of you often now when I am at my water aerobics class and working on learning to swim laps before class.  I have a long ways to go, but I am more comfortable in the water now.

and hiking is awesome.   That I love 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DreamerGirl said:

I grew up on swim team and don’t care that much about people seeing my body.  But I now, for health reasons, I swim in full length leggings and a long sleeve top and I absolutely love it.  I don’t have to even think about my body or sunscreen!  Modest swimwear is great.  I’m so glad we have options now.  

• Like 6

On 6/17/2022 at 1:04 AM, Arcadia said:

Marmite and vegemite are acquired taste. People either like or dislike them. 

Maybe eating them straight up on a spoon, but cooking with Marmite was love at first bite.

Norwegian caviar in a tube is an acquired taste. You can't really mix it into other foods to dilute the flavor, either. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Are these specially made for swimming or simply what you have on hand? If the former, could you share a link, please?

Regards,

Kareni

The leggings are compression leggings, but they are nylon and Lycra and dry beautifully.  https://us.2xu.com/products/motion-shape-hi-rise-compression-tights-wa6474b-womens-black-nero

The top is actually designed for swimming.

https://www.coolibar.com/women-s-long-sleeve-swim-shirt-upf-50-clearance.html

I got them both on Amazon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Are these specially made for swimming or simply what you have on hand? If the former, could you share a link, please?

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, specially made for swimming.

I used to swim in a swim dress but I did not like it because it floated around me. Now I use a rash guard for a top and swim shorts, capris or leggings.

All are made of water proof , not sure if all are chlorine resistant material.

I bought mine at land's end and amazon.

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-crew-neck-long-sleeve-rash-guard-upf-50-sun-protection-modest-swim-tee/id_246954?attributes=8063,43307,43325,43396,44256,44967

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-chlorine-resistant-high-waisted-modest-swim-leggings-with-upf-50-sun-protection/id_354225?attributes=8063,44967

Edited by DreamerGirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2022 at 12:55 AM, Laura Corin said:

Turtle was okay - a bit like duck, I seem to remember.  

I had snapping turtle once and loved it. I would eat it again in a heartbeat--tender and delicious; different parts taste like different kinds of meat. Not sure what other kinds of turtle would be like. 

On 6/16/2022 at 9:08 AM, Emba said:

i also refused to try guacamole until I was in college. It just looked gross, I guess. Now I love it.

I was the same -- it looked like --- YUCK. I tried table guac at a restaurant once (made to order, adding in tomatoes, onions, etc by request). It was amazing. I told my husband my 'discovery', and he was all, "I've been trying to tell you for years."

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, MagistraKennedy said:

I was the same -- it looked like --- YUCK. I tried table guac at a restaurant once (made to order, adding in tomatoes, onions, etc by request). It was amazing. I told my husband my 'discovery', and he was all, "I've been trying to tell you for years."

I didn’t think I would like guacamole because I don’t like avocado.  I love guacamole!  It’s a texture thing.  I consider them entirely separate foods.

• Like 1

I am pretty darn sure I don't like sushi, frog legs, snail, balut, oysters or beets. I don't need to bother trying them to confirm my opinion. I am a picky eater and one of my dd is constantly trying to get me to try something I know I don't like and she will manage to find one particular way I do like it and then she is convinced that I am senile and don't know what I like. It's all in fun now but I am afraid that when I really am senile that she is going to be feeding me all kinds of funky weird stuff.

As far as activities, I pretty much don't like any especially if they are outside. I have tried enough to know that in general that holds  true. I am definitely a library kind of girl. I have never tried bungy jumping but I am pretty sure I wouldn't live through it much less like it.

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

Maybe eating them straight up on a spoon, but cooking with Marmite was love at first bite.

You have to be pretty hard-core to eat it on a spoon. I may or may not be that person...  The merest smear on hot buttered toast or crumpets is more generally appreciated though.

9 hours ago, DreamerGirl said:

🤯

Marmite and me do not get along but I am slightly curious as to how one cooks with it. 

I really like these savoury oatcakes

https://lashesoflifestyle.co.uk/recipe-marmite-oatcakes/

• Thanks 1

For me, it’s SCUBA diving. Dh is certified to dive but I am far, far too afraid of all the things that can go wrong to try it. I tried to snorkel once but even that was a bridge too far. It’s a shame because I love nature and dh said how much he knows I would love seeing the underwater world. But I don’t know how I could ever get past my fear of drowning or entrapment to try it. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Quill said:

For me, it’s SCUBA diving. Dh is certified to dive but I am far, far too afraid of all the things that can go wrong to try it. I tried to snorkel once but even that was a bridge too far. It’s a shame because I love nature and dh said how much he knows I would love seeing the underwater world. But I don’t know how I could ever get past my fear of drowning or entrapment to try it. 

I feel this way about sprelunking

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 5:34 AM, Soror said:

I am not a theme park lover.  I get motion sickness very easily.  Just driving in the car.  I would much rather go to Universal or Disney vs Six Flags.  Even though I am not a lover of rides and am not crazy into Disney we have gone.  I don't pre plan trips, and we do go out of our way to go to theme park.  Like just if we happen to be on vacation in that area we might go.  We have taken the kids do Disneyland a few times and then when we were in the FL area they didn't want to do Disneyland.  They have also done Legoland when they were little and loved it.  My youngest was a newborn for that so I want her to go to have the memories.  But it will just happen if we are in the area.  I still think going to Disney is really fun  and honestly is such a good deal for all day thing.  We get there in the morning and stay to close.  We did some shows for DD's birthday and paid $100 bucks a ticket for a show that last 2 hours.  So to me Disney/Universal seems like a great deal of entertainment for the whole day.  Yeah there are downsides to it, crowds, wait time, and the like and I am not a fan of it, but there are still super fun things too.  I have a great time when we go even though the stuff isn't what I would love. But like you we still lean to spending our vacation money else where mostly.  We have traveled internationally a lot and will continue to focus our travel money on that, but if we are in the area of a great theme park I am sure will we consider it.  I think a few of my kids would love Harry Potter at Universal. Me I wouldn't appreciate that very much because I am not into Harry Potter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quill said:

I would be terrified to scuba dive.  I am terrified to swim in water that I can't see the bottom of.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I would be terrified to scuba dive.  I am terrified to swim in water that I can't see the bottom of.  

I might want to try scuba diving at some point….but my friend says I need to learn to swim first😀

I can swim across the pool but struggle with any head in the water swimming and coordinating the breathing 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I have been scuba diving exactly once.  It was in a tropical lagoon, completely sheltered from the open ocean.  Clear water only 30 feet deep with no waves.  Basically just a really big swimming pool.  The hotel had purposely sunk a fishing boat for the fish to swim around to give us something to look at.  It was delightful and I have zero interest in doing any scuba in a less controlled environment.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

You have to be pretty hard-core to eat it on a spoon. I may or may not be that person...  The merest smear on hot buttered toast or crumpets is more generally appreciated though.

I can just imagine all the "hard-core" Marmite and Vegimite contestants lined up in a competition to see who can actually eat a spoonful of the stuff. 🤣  I'm guessing most of them would be under the age of 12.  At least that was the age-group of the 'squeeze the Norwegian caviar straight into the mouth' connoisseurs.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Quill said:

Normally you start out taking lessons in a swimming pool, which feels quite safe and unenclosed. The weirdest part of SCUBA diving at first is having to wear a weight-belt so you can sink down into the water. 

• Like 1

I had an aversion to mayonnaise for as long as I can remember. It grossed me out to even look at it. I remember as a kid on Saturday afternoons my dad would make ham and cheese sandwiches and my job was to clean the table up after and I had to wipe mayo off the edge of the jar before putting it away and I would gag. Sometimes I would be in an eating situation and kids would be dipping fries in mayo and I would have to leave. I couldn’t even be witness to it.

As a teen I worked at Burger King and had to get over it so I could make chicken sandwiches. That did get me over the extreme aversion to just being around it but I still wouldn’t eat it and I would have to have someone else step in when someone would order a sandwich with extra heavy mayo. That was more than I could do.

In my forties I started eating chicken salad. I still won’t put mayo on a sandwich or a burger but I like chicken salad and I can eat a mayo based sauce or dressing as a condiment if it isn’t too heavy and there are some other flavors going on as well. If someone does accidentally put mayo on a sandwich I requested it left off of I can open up my sandwich and wipe it off and eat the sandwich. That would have been unthinkable 20 years ago.

I still can’t share a table with someone dipping fries in mayo.

So that isn’t actually liking something I thought I wouldn’t. But I thought I would die from mayo and turns out that is not the case. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

Normally you start out taking lessons in a swimming pool, which feels quite safe and unenclosed. The weirdest part of SCUBA diving at first is having to wear a weight-belt so you can sink down into the water. 

Yes, that’s how my husband got certified. I think it was through a college and used the college’s pool. 

13 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Things I never tried but I’m sure I wouldn’t like:

Marijuana

skydiving

parasailing

Disney theme park

Bars/night clubs

Vegas/casinos 

Any weird food 

large, loud, crowded concert

scuba diving

I agree with this list except parasailing was actually really nice.

• Like 1