Menu

What - comically - stupid thing have you done this week?

Laura Corin

I forgot to make the other half of dinner last night.  I made the pork chops, made the potatoes, made the sauce....but the two vegetables that were going on the side (salad and sauteed green beans) kept their comfy positions in the fridge.  To be fair, only two of us felt like we missed either, but that's not the point, lol.

• Haha 8

I'm sorry about the yogurt thing. Tragic! And the sugar...what a mess.

I opened someone else's car door in a parking lot. In my defense, I had been looking at a free book cart and thinking about my plans for next year's school stuff.

It wasn't the same color as my car, nor was it the same height or shape! And another person walking past saw me do it! I slammed the door, yelled, "This isn't my car! I've lost my marbles!" and headed to my suv. How embarrassing. 

• Haha 22

I walked out to the parking lot and found a great big black scratch on the driver's side rear door.  I have a white rental car and quickly began trying to see if the black scratch would rub off (it wouldn't), looking at the black car next to me and wondering if they had swung a door open, left the big scratch but didn't leave a note.  As I was wondering what to do, I pressed the unlock key but the door wouldn't open--must have pushed the wrong button--but the door still wouldn't open--now I am panicking--try to open the trunk; finally realize my rental car was two cars down!  And it wasn't scratched !!!! (And my key had been unlocking it just fine).

But, DH did a really unfortunate, stupid thing this week.  He is in Rome with his teenaged granddaughter and the thing he arranged (even before finalizing the flight arrangements) was buy tickets to breakfast at the Vatican which includes an early morning (before the crowds tour) of the Sistine Chapel.  All week DD kept saying, isn't the Vatican breakfast on Friday, but he kept saying know it is on Saturday.  Saturday morning he woke up at 4am and couldn't sleep, so decided to double check the time on the tickets--and saw FRIDAY--so they had missed it.  And it is a holiday weekend in Italy--So, he spent most of the day yesterday standing in line in the heat to get into the Vatican.  I don't know how comical it is to him, but he did say that everyone else will got a good life out of it.  

• Sad 10

Yesterday, I was grocery shopping for my parents. This isn't something I normally do and, while I was there, I picked up a couple of things for us. First, I gave the cashier $20 too much to pay for my parents' bill. Once that was sorted, I forgot all of my bags on the carousel and would have walked out without them except the kind man behind me pointed it out. I apologized to both of them for having left my brain at home that morning.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, elroisees said:

I opened someone else's car door in a parking lot. In my defense, I had been looking at a free book cart and thinking about my plans for next year's school stuff.

It wasn't the same color as my car, nor was it the same height or shape! And another person walking past saw me do it! I slammed the door, yelled, "This isn't my car! I've lost my marbles!" and headed to my suv. How embarrassing. 

I did that once at the gym—noticed a scratch on my car door that hadn’t been there before, and was feeling so flustered and mad about the scratch I couldn’t figure out why there was stuff all over my passenger side seat (I never keep anything there) before realizing it wasn’t actually my car. The woman it belonged to was standing *right next to it* chatting with a friend. 😳 The “beep” that I heard when I “unlocked” it was actually my car, a couple vehicles away. Hers had been unlocked the whole time, which explained how I was able to get in. I was mortified! 

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, elroisees said:

I did this TWICE. Both times while pregnant. 

With my first, I walked up to a car like mine but wrong color. I was about to put the key in the lock when I realized I was looking into the window at fast food wrappers everywhere. I stood there legitimately thinking someone had broken into my car, stolen the jacket and umbrella, and trashed it. Then I realized the car was tan, not grey.

Second time, I OPENED THE DOOR OF A VAN AND TRIED TO TELL MY 4 YEAR OLD TO GET IN WHILE THE OWNER WAS PUTTING HER KID IN THE OTHER SIDE. I scared her pretty badly, confused my kid, and made myself cry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

54 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

I did this TWICE. Both times while pregnant. 

With my first, I walked up to a car like mine but wrong color. I was about to put the key in the lock when I realized I was looking into the window at fast food wrappers everywhere. I stood there legitimately thinking someone had broken into my car, stolen the jacket and umbrella, and trashed it. Then I realized the car was tan, not grey.

Second time, I OPENED THE DOOR OF A VAN AND TRIED TO TELL MY 4 YEAR OLD TO GET IN WHILE THE OWNER WAS PUTTING HER KID IN THE OTHER SIDE. I scared her pretty badly, confused my kid, and made myself cry.

Aw, I laughed, but I bet that was scary. 

At least it's not just me...though I don't even have a pregnancy excuse!

• Like 1

Last night I juiced a lemon half that was chock full of seeds with my old-fashioned glass juicer. There were so many seeds, in fact, that I thought it would be easier to get those seeds out before juicing the other half. So I picked up a wire strainer, held it over the sink and proceeded to pour my precious lemon juice down the drain!

That left me with dozens of seeds smiling malevolently up at me from the strainer...but goshdarnit I got them out of the juice!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

English is my second language.

I told our neighbor that we had a movie night with the kids yesterday but today my husband and me watch an "adult movie". 

I meant a movie for us without kids and had no idea what it meant in English. 

My husband heard me saying that loud and clear to the neighbor across the street but he was standing in the door and thought if he says something he makes it more awkward for the poor man. 

In the house he started laughing like crazy and told me what I told the neighbor. I am so embarrassed, I don't even know what to say to that man the next time I see him.

• Like 3
  • Haha 21

10 minutes ago, Lillyfee said:

My husband heard me saying that loud and clear to the neighbor across the street but he was standing in the door and thought if he says something he makes it more awkward for the poor man. 

In the house he started laughing like crazy and told me what I told the neighbor. I am so embarrassed, I don't even know what to say to that man the next time I see him.

It wouldn't surprise me if your neighbor understood what you meant to say, Lillyfee!

I don't think you need to say anything unless you want to, or feel like it might ease your embarrassment. Would it seem helpful if your husband clarified what you meant to say, just between the guys? 

French is my second language and I make unwitting gaffes all the time. Definitely sparked a few laughs but people usually seem to understand.

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, Lillyfee said:

I told our neighbor that we had a movie night with the kids yesterday but today my husband and me watch an "adult movie". 

I wouldn't worry, I say 'adult' movie too to mean a movie without the kids. I'm sure your neighbour knew what you meant.

• Like 4

I think he knew what I meant because he knows me and that I would not go out yell over the street that we watch "that" :laugh:. At least I hope so.

My husband just thought it was the funniest thing.

I might clarify it the next time I see him or I just hope he knew what I meant. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't clarify it, Lillyfee, unless he says something. It'll be less awkward all around to just let it drop. If you have an accent then he knows you're not a native speaker, and even if you don't we ALL have weird brain farts.

The other day I went to visit somebody in the hospital, got on the wrong bus going home. Didn't realize for about five minutes, which translates to 15 minutes walking back, trying to retrace my route so I can find my stop. Naturally, that was the only stop they shared....

• Like 4

I do have an accent and he knows I am not American.

My husband just teased me that he probably thinks "Oh my, always these open minded Europeans." 

After he got how incredibly embarrassed I was he said that the man definitely knows that I did not mean THAT.

• Like 3

I just thought today of some other things I said because I am not from here and confused other people :laugh:

I asked in a store for a human trap and the man looked at me and asked "Who do you want to catch?". I meant I want a humane mouse trap where the mouse survives so you can bring it away.

I also had a breast cancer scare one time which turned out to be a harmless calcification from an old infection and said to the doctor "If I have anything I am sure it's from these radioactive mushrooms. " The doctor and my husband looked very confused and I explained that our wild mushrooms were still contaminated from Tschernobyl after many many years and you can't even eat the hogs because they eat these mushrooms until this day but first nobody knew that and my parents loved to go musbroom hunting. The doctor laughed and said "And I was ready to give you a drug test." :laugh: 

• Haha 16

It was actually 2 weeks ago, but I got in the wrong car when I was making the quick run to pick up our take-out dinner.

It was a few cars down from where I parked, and roughly the same size/shape, but slightly darker. I didn't realize it until I was SITTING DOWN and I'm seeing stuff all over the passenger seat (which I never do). OMG! I leapt out of that car like a scorched cat, scurried to my vehicle, and drove off as fast as I could, hoping like heck the owner did NOT see me getting into their car and sitting down in the driver's seat. 😵

GAH!

All the way home I was wondering: Did my electronic key also unlock their door??! Or did they leave their door unlocked?!! Either way... 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

DH went to Scotland and rented a car. The girl asked if he needed any help getting it started. He says no, then proceeds to get in on the American side. DH is a native Scots.

All these unlocked cars are so weird. In Houston, no one in their right mind would ever leave their car unlocked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We had an issue with our PayPal account, and as I was getting it straightened out I accidentally agreed to sync our entire shared contact list to it. I had to go through and remove hundreds of contacts one at a time. It was tedious, but made me laugh at the same time.

• Haha 2

Does getting stung by a wasp ON MY SCALP count?

I was out for my daily walk, and I felt something bonk my head. I assumed it was a helicopter seed pod, so I ran my hands over my hair to shake it free. It wasn't a helicopter, and I swear I heard the wasp laughing as it flew away.

• Sad 7

18 minutes ago, MrsMommy said:

I was out for my daily walk, and I felt something bonk my head. I assumed it was a helicopter seed pod, so I ran my hands over my hair to shake it free. It wasn't a helicopter, and I swear I heard the wasp laughing as it flew away.

Did you have any reaction?

20 minutes ago, MrsMommy said:

Ouch! I hope you are ok!

I once had a scorpion sting the back of my head. It was on the headrest in my car after a camping trip. 😱 Wow, did that hurt! I was scared to get in my car for weeks, and made DH swap cars. You know, so he could fend off the hordes of baby scorpions I was envisioning. 

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, MrsMommy said:

One late summer Saturday I hung up my gardening jeans on a door hook overnight. The next morning I  took them down and put them on, felt what I thought was a thorn inside, scooped it out only to see a wasp fly away. Stung on the hip by a wasp that had lain in wait in my trousers!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, MrsMommy said:

Other than some pain, not really. Icing it helped.

I am so afraid of wasps and bees.  Both my mother and dd2 had anaphylactic reactions.  I have had one wasp sting and was put on prednisone.  Don't even want to think if another happened but that is one reason I carry Auvi-Q.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, TravelingChris said:

I am so afraid of wasps and bees.  Both my mother and dd2 had anaphylactic reactions.  I have had one wasp sting and was put on prednisone.  Don't even want to think if another happened but that is one reason I carry Auvi-Q.

That's so scary! I've had several bee stings throughout my life with no problems, but I'm not sure I've ever been stung by a wasp before. It's not an experience I care to repeat!

6 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

If it makes you feel better, stinging reactions can be hereditary, but I don't know that there is always a straight line. They run all over my side of the family, and they range from mild swelling/itching to anaphylaxis. I don't have an allergy. DH's family has some allergies as well, and he doesn't have it. Our kids haven't shown signs yet either. 

• Like 1

I once not only got into the wrong car, but the key STARTED the car.  So I actually turned it on.  It was the same color and make as my car (silver Toyota Corolla), and it was parked just a couple spots over from my car.  I looked in the rear view mirror and realized there were no car seats, and I then I looked around and realized it did not have my trash (not a lot of trash, but like wrappers from goldfish containers and fruit snacks in the pocket of the doors).  That was so mortifying!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 6/5/2022 at 9:00 AM, elroisees said:

I’ve done this. I opened a minivan the same color as mine in a parking lot. Then I just stared at this pink travel mug because I don’t HAVE a pink travel mug. Never mind that MY van has been adapted to be wheelchair accessible and everything behind the front seats looks completely different. All I saw was this pink mug and I was trying to figure out how it got in there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

A few weeks ago, but took a pregnancy test and placed it level on the counter to await the result. And waited...and waited...and nothing happened. I thought the test was probably bad, so went to throw it out only to realize that the results showed up on the other side (there was a kind of window thing on the back side too).  I thought the test window looked weird.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

A few weeks ago we were visiting our daughter in Germany.  We took care of the Rent-a-Car paperwork in the airport, then walked out with the keys to get the car.  We could NOT figure out how to open the trunk (and we had big bags).  We pushed anything that remotely looked like a button, switch, latch; we searched all around the driver's seat to find a button, but nada.  We asked a random couple picking up their car if they had any suggestions.  "Just push the trunk button on the key chain!" But ours didn't HAVE that button.  They shrugged, said "Sorry" and got in their car and drove off.

Just as we were despairing, an car rental person walked by.  I grabbed him and asked him how to open the trunk.  He rolled his eyes, pushed the tiny car logo decoration and voila! So simple but we had no idea.....

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

My husband and me visited my family in Germany and for some reason my husband went in a store alone and I stayed with the kids in car. It was some motorcycle store he wanted to look at.

I need to say first that I am always very nice to people and very trustful.

Now these four, loud Arabian or some other language from that area speaking men approached my car. They knocked on my window and asked if I want to sell the car. I told them that this is my dad's car and I don't think he wants to sell it. They asked if they can look and I said "of course".

So now one was half sitting on my lap looking at the kilometers while the other one opened the backdoor to the kids who were super excited and start talking with the man and the two other ones were walking around the car knocking against things and opening all doors.

After a couple of minutes I am like "Hey guys, this is my dad's car. I can't sell it." All of them pulled their heads and hands out of the car and one of them asked me if I want to buy a knife set for 15 Euro :laugh:.

So I looked at the knives and we opened them and they were sharp so I wanted to be nice (when I am already not selling the car) and bought the knife set which my mom loves by the way.

My husband came while we just closed our knife set deal and was super confused and when I told him he just kept shaking his head :laugh:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lillyfee said:

ow these four, loud Arabian or some other language from that area speaking men approached my car. They knocked on my window and asked if I want to sell the car. I told them that this is my dad's car and I don't think he wants to sell it. They asked if they can look and I said "of course".

So now one was half sitting on my lap looking at the kilometers while the other one opened the backdoor to the kids who were super excited and start talking with the man and the two other ones were walking around the car knocking against things and opening all doors.

I am surprised that your incident did not end with you losing your wallet and passport. Seems like a classic pickpocket diversion move.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, gstharr said:

I am surprised that your incident did not end with you losing your wallet and passport. Seems like a classic pickpocket diversion move.

Maybe they were nice because I bought the knife set :laugh:.

My husband and me were so stupid when we came from Germany to Hawaii and left on Waikiki Beach our wallet with like 300 $ cash, passports, Greencards and IDs at the beach while we went in the ocean.

We saw a homeless man taking it and running away. My husband sprinted after and found him and said "Look, you can keep the money but please give us our documents back." He gave the wallet without money back to us but at least we had all out documents back.

We always got lucky so far.

Edited by Lillyfee
  • Like 3

I'm so anxious about my dentist appointment today that I left the house an hour too soon. Luckily, I realized what I had done while I was still close to home and able to comeback. Last thing I want to do is sit in the waiting room for an hour letting my anxiety build even more. At least at home there are distractions. Whew!

• Like 5

Not recently, but once I was giving cooking lessons to my teens and I mentioned needing to get the oil hot enough so food would cook properly. And in a brain glitch,  I stuck my finger in there to test the temp!  My kids are still aghast I did something so stupid.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, VickiMNE said:

Not recently, but once I was giving cooking lessons to my teens and I mentioned needing to get the oil hot enough so food would cook properly. And in a brain glitch,  I stuck my finger in there to test the temp!  My kids are still aghast I did something so stupid.

I do that, too :laugh:. Followed by a "Aua, that's hot."

Why do we moms do that? :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Also English words that I got confused about "construction " and "instruction".

So all the people I told that my husband will work "in construction" at a school when we get to Virginia must be a little surprised. He will actually be not a construction worker but an instructor. :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This was a long time ago but I once had to pick up a dc from a  summer camp that was far FAR away and involved a ferry ride to shave 7 hours off the drive.  I left having two hours to spare to catch the ONLY ferry for the day.  I was cruising along, feeling like I was making pretty good time so I stopped at a cute cafe for an unplanned lunch.  Later, when I crossed the time zone border, I realized I had calculated the time change in the opposite (WRONG) direction and even if I drove at top speed, I likely would not be able to catch the ferry!  I panicked and stepped on the gas while calling the ferry line to warn them that I would (might) be coming in hot assuming I even made it.  I drove so fast, it was insane!  The whole time, all I can think about is how heartbroken dc would be that I missed their final performance and that they would have to sit around for hours waiting of me to drive around a giant lake.  I made it by literally seconds.  I now triple check my time zone math then have someone ELSE check it for me again!

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Terabith said:

I once not only got into the wrong car, but the key STARTED the car.  So I actually turned it on.  It was the same color and make as my car (silver Toyota Corolla), and it was parked just a couple spots over from my car.  I looked in the rear view mirror and realized there were no car seats, and I then I looked around and realized it did not have my trash (not a lot of trash, but like wrappers from goldfish containers and fruit snacks in the pocket of the doors).  That was so mortifying!

Back in college, I was grocery shopping.  When I came outside, my car was GONE!  But, another car in the lot was the same year, model, and color.  I called the cops and they called the owner of the car that remained.  10 minutes later, an older gentleman sheepishly drove up and returned by car. He never even noticed that he had the wrong car!  He was able to start it with his key.  Neither car was locked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 6/5/2022 at 11:42 AM, MEmama said:

I did that once at the gym—noticed a scratch on my car door that hadn’t been there before, and was feeling so flustered and mad about the scratch I couldn’t figure out why there was stuff all over my passenger side seat (I never keep anything there) before realizing it wasn’t actually my car. The woman it belonged to was standing *right next to it* chatting with a friend. 😳 The “beep” that I heard when I “unlocked” it was actually my car, a couple vehicles away. Hers had been unlocked the whole time, which explained how I was able to get in. I was mortified! 

I had someone get in the passenger side of my car once. I was loading groceries. She thought it was her mother loading and got right in. When I opened the drivers door, I screamed, she screamed & jumped out... after we both calmed ourselves down, she asked me if I needed a hug. I declined.

• Haha 9