Menu

Just for fun - how do you pronounce this word?

melbotoast

Just for fun - How do you pronounce peridot?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce peridot?

• pear-ah-dot
    • pear-ih-doe
    • I avoid saying this word out loud because I'm not sure how to pronounce it
    • I have never heard of this word before, so I have no clue how to pronounce it.
  2. 2. If you were forced to say this word, how would you pronounce it?

• pear-ah-dot
    • pear-ih-doe
    • Depends on context

Count me in with those who studiously avoids saying it because I don’t know. But my friend has a son whose birthstone is Peridot (August, maybe?) and when he was born she said, in comparison to her other children who have Emeralds, “His birthstone is a peridot…what is that even? It looks like a booger.” 😄 So that’s all I think of every time I see the word, including in this thread. 

• Haha 10

So the reason I'm asking.... I heard it pronounced one way in a conversation and thought it might be the other way but I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure. And after looking up the answer I'm still unsure 😄

I don't know that I've ever heard it spoken. But I've certainly read it before. And, for reasons unknown to me, I decided it must be "pear ih doe" (although sometimes the second syllable is more of an "ah" sound). I think I just thought "pear ih dot" sounds dumb, while "pear ih doe" sounds fancy. Remember, I was young when this happened. 

So now, hearing "pear ih dot" would be like nails on a chalkboard to me, although I technically have no idea if either is actually correct! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Quill said:

Count me in with those who studiously avoids saying it because I don’t know. But my friend has a son whose birthstone is Peridot (August, maybe?) and when he was born she said, in comparison to her other children who have Emeralds, “His birthstone is a peridot…what is that even? It looks like a booger.” 😄 So that’s all I think of every time I see the word, including in this thread. 

Yep, August. It is an ugly birthstone, so I never wanted birthstone jewelry even when they were all the rage in middle school. I've never compared it to a booger, but yeah, that fits. 😄

• Haha 4

Most of my jeweler friends pronounce it pear-ih-dot (maybe it comes out as an ah, if they are going fast). I have a lot of handmade peridot jewelry, so weirdly have spent some time discussing it, and being excited when they had new designs. 

One jeweler friend says pear-ih-doe. It was notable.

I’ve never had any reason to pronounce it outside of those convos.

ETA: I have no special love of peridot, but the color of the more unrefined stones worked well with my work clothes, when I was doing art shows. The flowy, artsy dress type stuff. 🤣

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

I usually say pear-ah-dot, sometimes more like pear-ih-dot.  It is my mom's birthstone, so I have heard her say it a number of times and just picked it up from that.  My mom thinks her birthstone is ugly.  I have always thought it was pretty, especially in the right setting.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, calbear said:

the second way...but that is because I studied French in high school. 

Appearances can be deceiving though. My husband insists on pronouncing 'turbot' as 'tur-bow'. Although it comes from Old French, the modern pronunciation  - 1000 years later - is with the t.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, barnwife said:

I don't know that I've ever heard it spoken. But I've certainly read it before. And, for reasons unknown to me, I decided it must be "pear ih doe" (although sometimes the second syllable is more of an "ah" sound). I think I just thought "pear ih dot" sounds dumb, while "pear ih doe" sounds fancy. Remember, I was young when this happened. 

So now, hearing "pear ih dot" would be like nails on a chalkboard to me, although I technically have no idea if either is actually correct! 

I'm just having a hard time pronouncing the middle syllable so that it sounds one way or the other. o_0

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Appearances can be deceiving though. My husband insists on pronouncing 'turbot' as 'tur-bow'. Although it comes from Old French, the modern pronunciation  - 1000 years later - is with the t.

Interesting. I have never heard the T pronounced in American English, so that might be it. Or maybe he learned the word in (modern) France. 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

I say _doe, because I've only heard it pronounced by jewelers and that's how they said it. But I also don't say the first syllable exactly like "pear," it's more like the "per" in perish or periscope.

The "per" in perish and periscope sound like pear (rhymes with pair, bear, stare) to me?  I am guessing it is a regional difference or I am misunderstanding.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Loowit said:

The "per" in perish and periscope sound like pear (rhymes with pair, bear, stare) to me?  I am guessing it is a regional difference or I am misunderstanding.

Same. It may or may not be regional, as I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce it in every region I've lived in. 🙂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Loowit said:

I think it must be a regional thing, because to me there is a definite difference between pear and per. I wouldn't pronounce "per my previous email" like "pear my previous email," or "per se" like "pear se." And to me ferry/fairy and Derry/dairy have different pronunciations, although I know some people pronounce them the same. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Loowit said:

Short e so, yeah, I guess that’s regional. I was gonna say like egg, then I remembered how some people say ayigg, lol. 

Per-uh-doe, for me. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I would pronounce it the same as your hubby as I thought that was the standard pronunciation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

I think it must be a regional thing, because to me there is a definite difference between pear and per. I wouldn't pronounce "per my previous email" like "pear my previous email," or "per se" like "pear se." And to me ferry/fairy and Derry/dairy have different pronunciations, although I know some people pronounce them the same. 

perish, periscope = pear, but your other two "per"s are more like purr.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

perish, periscope = pear, but your other two "per"s are more like purr.

For me, the per in all of those words is somewhere between pear and purr. Like ferry is between fairy and furry but different from both. I can feel the difference in mouth shape between per/pear/purr, but I don't know the linguistic terms to describe it.  

• Like 3

To further confuse things, etymologies I have found that suggest a French origen show the word coming into English from Old French in the 13th or 14th century; while Modern French tends to drop pronunciation of many final consonants, Old French did not. In Old French, that final T would almost certainly have been pronounced. Meaning it would have properly been pronounced when adopted into English as well. There are many, many French derived words in English that retain final consonant sounds that French later lost.

Article on phonetic changes between Old French and Modern French:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_French

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I pronounce "per" as you do, but ferry/fairy and Derry/dairy sound the same to me (each pair, you know).

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

The only place where I have seen turbot in recipes have been British cookbooks. I don’t think that I have seen that fish sold in American fish counters. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

This is a different word than I was thinking. This is a fish and I was thinking of a part of an engine which is actually spelled turbo. Not sure which you were referring to though.

The fish. I live eight miles from the North Sea and turbot is a sustainable catch. We have two separate fish vans that bring fresh fish off the boats for us to buy at our door.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Yes. It has to be regional. I live where people come from all over the US - few were born or raised in Florida - and I haven't come across anyone who pronounces pear the same as per. I have however, heard people pronounce ferry/fairy and merry/Mary the same. (I don't btw).

• Like 1