Menu

Feral cats - privacy fences

Elizabeth86

Oh, yes, absolutely. Our neighborhood feral cats come and visit our yard often. They easily hit the six foot fence in a single leap, even the older one. The sassy grey cat in our neighborhood leaps to the top of the wooden fence and walks along the top and comes and stares at me through the window when I eat breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Do you think feral cats could climb over a 6ft vinyl privacy fence?

I think you’d probably be better off just making friends with the feral cats, because a fence isn’t  going to keep them out.

Sorry! I wish I had better news for you.

• Like 7

Thanks guys. My sister is moving and she has a herd of feral-ish cats (she was able to get them in cat carriers anyway) that she is bringing with her. She just dropped $10,000 on a privacy fence to keep them in so they wouldn't bother the neighborhood. I told my DH about it and he said that there wasn't anything to keep a cat in. Guys my cat is 16, I forgot how cats are. I feel horrified she just dropped 10K for no reason.

• Sad 1

If they've been feral cats, I think they're going to be deeply unhappy and behave really obnoxiously if she doesn't allow them free access to the outdoors.  How many are we talking?  Most neighborhoods can absorb 2-3 cats that go outside some and go inside other times.  

You *could* keep cats in if there's a net of some sort atop the fence, making it effectively a large room with lots of breeze.

But even semi-ferals want space to move around, and it's generally recommended that they're better off where they're used to living rather than being moved, because that's less stressful and they know how to get food and have all their territories worked out with the neighboring cats. Has your sister gotten all of her little clowder altered?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Terabith said:

If they've been feral cats, I think they're going to be deeply unhappy and behave really obnoxiously if she doesn't allow them free access to the outdoors.  How many are we talking?  Most neighborhoods can absorb 2-3 cats that go outside some and go inside other times.  

I'm honestly not sure. I want to say 6, but I don't know.

4 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

You *could* keep cats in if there's a net of some sort atop the fence, making it effectively a large room with lots of breeze.

But even semi-ferals want space to move around, and it's generally recommended that they're better off where they're used to living rather than being moved, because that's less stressful and they know how to get food and have all their territories worked out with the neighboring cats. Has your sister gotten all of her little clowder altered?

I remember her taking them to be altered at some point, I would assume all (I know the females at least because they have been around a while and no more kittes), but I'm not sure. We don't talk a lot. Usually my mom tells me what she’s up to and my tells her what’s been happening with me. lol I don't know why really. 

8 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Thanks guys. My sister is moving and she has a herd of feral-ish cats (she was able to get them in cat carriers anyway) that she is bringing with her. She just dropped $10,000 on a privacy fence to keep them in so they wouldn't bother the neighborhood. I told my DH about it and he said that there wasn't anything to keep a cat in. Guys my cat is 16, I forgot how cats are. I feel horrified she just dropped 10K for no reason.

There are ways to do fencing that at least tries to keep cats in. I want to say that an angle in at the top can help.  It's similar to snake exclusion fencing-at best, you reduce the possibility, because it is pretty much impossible to make a yard snake proof. 

• Like 1

tagging on with dmmetler's angle at the top.  One show I saw on animal planet once upon a time, did something like that with 45 degree barrier and it deterred the cats from jumping.  The people with the cat who climbed everything was not stopped by really tall fence.  But with the barrier they stopped with standard height fences.  probably didn't totally jump proof it, but who knows? they show what they want to show on tv.   I can't seem to find a good article to explain how to, but I'm sure there's something out there.

I’m pretty sure one could cover the top of the fence with barbed wire and most cats would be unfazed. Even if it was possible to keep them from climbing (it’s not), they’d just find ways to go under.

disclaimer please don’t suggest barbed wire, I’m just trying to illustrate a point. Cats are gonna cat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dmmetler said:

There are ways to do fencing that at least tries to keep cats in. I want to say that an angle in at the top can help.  It's similar to snake exclusion fencing-at best, you reduce the possibility, because it is pretty much impossible to make a yard snake proof. 

Yes, see:

https://www.purrfectfence.com/

https://catfencein.com/

https://easypetfence.com/collections/cat-containment-kit-for-existing-fences

@Elizabeth86, these are added to existing fences so hopefully your sister did not waste her money! She just needs to spend more. 😉 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

You can get "cat fencing" to add to the top of a fence, to keep cats in. 

Or she can create a catio. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 4:18 PM, Elizabeth86 said:

You can build a cat fence but it  has to be more than 6 feet and have an inward sloping top or rollers. 

Just now, KungFuPanda said:

Oh boy. I predict drama with the new neighbors. 

No kidding. Can just imagine the neighbors checking out the new family moving in. We have had some interesting people move into our neighborhood the last few years but we have yet to have one bring feral cats. 

I appreciate she is trying to head off issues with a fence. And I appreciate the tender spot she has for the cats such that she is bringing them. I really do. But  I don’t think this is going to go well. 

3 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

No kidding. Can just imagine the neighbors checking out the new family moving in. We have had some interesting people move into our neighborhood the last few years but we have yet to have one bring feral cats. 

I appreciate she is trying to head off issues with a fence. And I appreciate the tender spot she has for the cats such that she is bringing them. I really do. But  I don’t think this is going to go well. 

I don’t either. 

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

If it works and she’s able to  trap feral cats within the confines of her yard, will it start smelling?

I wouldn't think six cats would be a major problem. They probably would produce about the same amount of feces as a couple of big dogs. And if they're neutered, their urine shouldn't be especially noxious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

I wouldn't think six cats would be a major problem. They probably would produce about the same amount of feces as a couple of big dogs. And if they're neutered, their urine shouldn't be especially noxious. 

Plus they bury it. It might be handy to create an easy to use part of the yard, like adding a sandy bed, so then it can be scooped like a regular litter box. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 11:41 PM, Terabith said:

Most neighborhoods can absorb 2-3 cats that go outside some and go inside other times.  

Apparently I live in a very tolerant neighborhood. We have 7 cats that are inside/outside. There are a whole lot of cats in general. And obviously no HOA 😂

On 5/2/2022 at 7:18 AM, KungFuPanda said:

Oh boy. I predict drama with the new neighbors. 

Not necessarily. See above, lol. 

7 hours ago, Terabith said:

I'm stuck on the "feral" part.  Depending on how feral, if they find themselves confined, they might be incredibly loud.  I hope this goes well.

If she got them into pet carriers without a trip to the emergency room, they aren't all that feral, just used to being outside. I'd actually probably start with letting them wander (if local codes permit), along with being diligent about cleaning up any cat poop she sees, anywhere in the neighborhood, lol. A daily walk is good for your health! 

It's just going to depend on the neighborhood, really. And the size of her yard, if she goes the confinement route. Most yards are quite small for 6 cats, although a bunch of different places to sit/relax/play can help - portable ones, not permanent, as cats love variety. Ledges on the fence would have to be permanent or at least permanent-ish, but more of them than there are cats, PLUS several other lounging areas, can definitely help. A couple of small cat trees to move around, and then some things can be as simple as folding chairs. 

We try to move stuff around for our cats a lot, both inside and out, and most of them do leave our yard at least occasionally. One of them is all over the place. Sorry, neighbors. I do try to pet all the doggies when I'm walking as recompense. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, katilac said:

Apparently I live in a very tolerant neighborhood. We have 7 cats that are inside/outside. There are a whole lot of cats in general. And obviously no HOA 😂

Not necessarily. See above, lol. 

If she got them into pet carriers without a trip to the emergency room, they aren't all that feral, just used to being outside. I'd actually probably start with letting them wander (if local codes permit), along with being diligent about cleaning up any cat poop she sees, anywhere in the neighborhood, lol. A daily walk is good for your health! 

It's just going to depend on the neighborhood, really. And the size of her yard, if she goes the confinement route. Most yards are quite small for 6 cats, although a bunch of different places to sit/relax/play can help - portable ones, not permanent, as cats love variety. Ledges on the fence would have to be permanent or at least permanent-ish, but more of them than there are cats, PLUS several other lounging areas, can definitely help. A couple of small cat trees to move around, and then some things can be as simple as folding chairs. 

We try to move stuff around for our cats a lot, both inside and out, and most of them do leave our yard at least occasionally. One of them is all over the place. Sorry, neighbors. I do try to pet all the doggies when I'm walking as recompense. 

We see random cats patrolling our neighborhood. They look well cared for, so I don’t think they’re feral. I’m in an HOA but I don’t think we have any laws about cats. If we do they’re not enforced. (My HOA doesn’t really have teeth.) 

Even though we’re in the suburbs between two cities we still have lots of wildlife. We see foxes and hawks all the time. Coyotes are much rarer but I have seen a couple. A friend of mine has a Mad Max outfit for her little terrier so she’s not a snack. I’d be too anxious to have an outdoor cat around here. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

We see random cats patrolling our neighborhood. They look well cared for, so I don’t think they’re feral. I’m in an HOA but I don’t think we have any laws about cats. If we do they’re not enforced. (My HOA doesn’t really have teeth.) 

Even though we’re in the suburbs between two cities we still have lots of wildlife. We see foxes and hawks all the time. Coyotes are much rarer but I have seen a couple. A friend of mine has a Mad Max outfit for her little terrier so she’s not a snack. I’d be too anxious to have an outdoor cat around here. 

I have never seen a coyote around here.  We definitely have foxes (and raccoons and possums).  Obama gives them a WIIIIIIIDE berth.  Neighborhood wildlife each definitely have their territories, and I swear the cats that go outside have a time share thing going on.  There are different cats that are out at different times each day.  It's kind of amazing how it all works.  

I'd be uneasy about letting Obama out with coyotes though.  He seems to have worked something out with the foxes, and really I think adult cats are probably not the food choice of preference for foxes, just do to the size differential.  There's also a zillion rabbits, which are probably more their speed.  

On 5/3/2022 at 2:44 PM, Terabith said:

I'm stuck on the "feral" part.  Depending on how feral, if they find themselves confined, they might be incredibly loud.  I hope this goes well.

Yeah, I’m not really sure. I don’t spend too much time with her.