Menu

Guest Rooms- What do you want in them?

QueenCat

From the perspective of a guest, what do you find "nice" to have in a guest room? 

The guest room currently has a queen sized bed, nightstand w/lamp & drawers, and an empty dresser. 3/4ths of the closet space is empty for the guest. I think the room is comfy. Everything matches and there are some beachy photo canvases on the wall. Oh, I do have flashlights in one of the drawers.

I expect to have more guests over the coming years and really want them to feel at home in "their" space. 

I like to have a place where I can leave my suitcase open and live out of it (rather than unpacking into your dresser or closet). Outlet or extension cord close to the nightstand is handy. Some kind of autonomous temperature control like a blanket and a fan can be handy. Let me know if you are looking for any Test Guests!

• Like 10

Often a pile of towels just for you is nice. Sometimes you get a towel and a washcloth from your host and you really want a hair towel.

If the guest bathroom is shared by the host family, someplace to put your wet towels in your room.

Extra pillows..we all sleep differently

box of tissues

often hosts have left a basket of shampoo and lotions, extra toothbrush, etc. Hotel sizes are fine!

Hangers!

afghan or something to take a nap (DH often disappears to take a nap)

agreed with PP, extension cord! I use a CPAP and it’s awkward to be moving a bed to access the outlet. 

I use to keep a clock in our’s but everyone has phones these days…

Edited by KatieInMN
  • Like 5

comfy pillows and extra blankets in case it gets cool in the night.  If the room is large enough a chair to sit in.  A couple of bath towels (and a bath robe is extra nice). Box of Kleenex.  If the room is near a noisy area of the house, a white noise machine or air purifier might be nice.

• Like 2

I always leave a few books or magazines in case guests want to read a bit before bed.  I keep towels and blankets in the dresser, and I usually leave a small basket of toiletries in case a guest forgets their toothbrush or lotion.  I leave a chair that they can put a small suitcase on so that they don't have to unpack if they'd rather live out of a suitcase.  Also, a nightlight - elderly guest especially wake up confused and need to be able to see.  

• Like 2

A comfortable mattress that is not a hundred years old. My MIL thought that you never got rid of a mattress and was always astonished that nobody slept well at her house because "that is a quality mattress. It's about 60 years old. They don't make them like that anymore!" 

Soft bed sheets. Doesn't have to  be fancy, but nothing pilled or with too much polyester.

Several blankets so the person there can choose how warm they want to be. 

Bedside table with a lamp.

Digital clock.

A box fan to drown out household noises. This makes such a huge difference when we travel. 

• Like 3

I pretty much agree with everybody else on these things. My first thought was a suitcase stand like hotels have, because you aren't always staying long enough to really unpack, and it's nice not to have to get down in the floor. But yes to a surge protector, extra toiletries (incl. an extra toothpaste or two), etc.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SusanC said:

I like to have a place where I can leave my suitcase open and live out of it (rather than unpacking into your dresser or closet). Outlet or extension cord close to the nightstand is handy. Some kind of autonomous temperature control like a blanket and a fan can be handy. Let me know if you are looking for any Test Guests!

Yes, autonomous heat control is huge. Adequate window coverings so that the room can get very dark is also nice.

• Like 2

If it's someone I don't know very well, it's always nice to be able to locate extra toilet paper, plunger, and toilet brush in a discreet but easy to find place without having to ask. If I, or my kids, have a problems of a certain variety, I don't want to bother my host with that.

• Like 7

In our guest room, I have a little basket with things people might need---a small selection of feminine hygiene care, a small travel bottle each of tylenol & ibuprofen, travel packets of kleenex, travel Shout stain remover wipes, a handful of chocolates, a package of mints, a small bottle of foam earplugs, a couple of sleep masks, travel sized toiletries, etc. 

The kleenex, ibuprofen, and the iron get used the most consistently.  *I* rarely iron, but apparently my guests have fussier clothing than I do. 

• Like 6

I live close to a lot of tourism places. When we finally got a guest room, I went to the county welcome center and picked up brochures for the local sights. I put the brochures on the table in the guest room. Guests can peruse them at their leisure, so they can pick an itinerary that appeals to them during their stay. The table does double duty for holding luggage or being a desk for laptops, tablets, etc.

We also put an alarm clock in the room (and always check that it's turned off after a guest leaves!). When the parents visit, they don't use their phones as anything but a phone.

In addition to a night light in the guest room, make sure you have one in the bathroom and one in the hall connecting the two.

Oh, we also have the guest wifi login and password posted in the guest room.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

A comfortable mattress that is not a hundred years old. My MIL thought that you never got rid of a mattress and was always astonished that nobody slept well at her house because "that is a quality mattress. It's about 60 years old. They don't make them like that anymore!" 

I desperately wish my mom would get this memo. The guest room mattress is 35ish years old. I hate it. Actually, sometimes I just grab a blanket and sleep on the floor because it's that bad. Both my sister and I have hinted that it's time to replace it as strongly as we can. My mom in general has a hard time reading between the lines, so it hasn't translated into a new mattress. Yet if we just said, "You need a new mattress. This is awful," there wold be so. much. drama. So we just deal with a crappy mattress when we visit. 

What I want: a place for wet towels, a non-feather pillow, plenty of blankets, outlets, a water glass, kleenex, a mirror, a nightlight, and probably some other stuff I am forgetting. 

• Like 3

These are fantastic suggestions. Yes yes yes to a towel hangar.

If you use a mattress protector, make sure it isn’t loud. We once stayed in a place that I swear used thick plastic sheeting on the bed— it was the loudest and most uncomfortable feeling. The entire experience was strange— what had been sold to us (in the pre Internet Toronto tourism guide) as a quaint urban bed and breakfast turned out to be the spare bedroom of an old woman’s very suburban house an hour by train from the city. Her room was right next door to us and we were afraid to move all night. Lol. We’ve slept in some weird places but that mattress will never be forgotten! 

• Like 2

In addition to the bed & nightstands in the room, our guest bedroom closet has wooden hangers, a luggage rack, a stack of towels & an extra blanket.

The guest bathroom has a basket with sample sizes of hand lotion, shampoo, shaving cream, toothpaste & mouthwash, a toothbrush in the package, a razor, nail polish remover, small bottles of Advil & Tylenol, and band aids. There are tampons & pads in a drawer under the sink. I put an unopened bar of soap on the shower caddy and I put out a fresh hand towel.

• Like 2

First thing that comes to mind: clearly posted WiFi password.

Reading material is nice. Extra toothbrush, toiletries, etc. As my dad has aged, he gets colder at night, so extra blankets are appreciated.

If you have extra charging cords, it might be nice, but I wouldn’t go out and buy any unless you know that a frequent guest has a particular style of phone.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SusanC said:

Love that... test guests! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Soft bed sheets. Doesn't have to  be fancy, but nothing pilled or with too much polyester.

Several blankets so the person there can choose how warm they want to be. 

Bedside table with a lamp.

Digital clock.

A box fan to drown out household noises. This makes such a huge difference when we travel. 

No worries there! It's about three years old. And comfortable. I've slept in it. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, klmama said:

Lots of good ideas here.  Also, some snack bars, bags of nuts, and fresh fruit would be nice, so guests could eat a snack without having to ask.  A lined wastebasket for refuse.  

I always make sure that guests know we have an open kitchen. I always have a snack bowl on my counter 😉 I really don't like food in our bedrooms, so I don't want to encourage it. That said, I'd never tell a guest that they couldn't eat in their room. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Might not be popular but I do like having a small tv in a guest room.  Something to just turn on to get me to sleep or help me wake up.  Especially, when I am in a unfamiliar bed and not getting comfortable in my surroundings yet. 

Would you still want this if the only viewing options are streaming? We only have a cable box for the family room tv. And don't keep tvs in any of our bedrooms. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skimomma said:

Really just repeating others but a fan is a big one for us.  Bonus points if there is also a ceiling fan.  Bedside tables with outlets (or power strips) on BOTH sides of the bed.  And a place to put wet towels.  That is all I need to be happy.

Hoping to get a ceiling fan installed before too long. It's on our long list of things to be done. The master bedroom is the only bedroom with one. We've just been in the house a few months.

You all have given me so many great ides. Many of which I hope to incorporate. This is the first time we've had a dresser dedicated to our guests so I'm in shock that so many of you wouldn't use it. I always wish I had one when I'm a guest. There is room for either a chair OR a suitcase stand. Which one is more important to you?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

You all have given me so many great ides. Many of which I hope to incorporate. This is the first time we've had a dresser dedicated to our guests so I'm in shock that so many of you wouldn't use it. I always wish I had one when I'm a guest. There is room for either a chair OR a suitcase stand. Which one is more important to you?

I don’t use the dresses either.  Much easier to just use my suitcase.  But I would rather have a chair than a suitcase stand.  Some beds are just not comfortable to put on shoes or sit in for long.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 2

I don't think this was mentioned; if there are pets in the house, be sure to know if guests have any allergies or aversions. The guest room should be pet-and pet-hair free unless the guests are certain to have no allergies and like the pets in the house.

Echoing that I would be really free with food in the places where you want food consumed. We sometimes get mice so don't like to eat in the bedrooms even if we are careful. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, QueenCat said:

A chair seems better to me. You can sit on it or possibly put the suitcase on it , but a suitcase stand can really only be used for that one thing.

• Like 4

What's most important to me is an extra blanket and an extra pillow or two.  I can get by with just those and sleep well.  After that, other things that are handy are fresh towels in the bedroom so I know which ones I should use, a hook on the door, extra hangers in the closet, a nightstand with a reading lamp, a nightlight that I can turn on if necessary (since I won't know the place well and might need to find my way out of the room to the bathroom in the middle of the night!), a bedside clock, a phone charger (all of ours are iPhones though), a little trinket tray where people can empty their pockets and put their jewelry, etc., lotion, and a magazine or two or a book with short stories.  

Also, instructions on how to open a window if they want to, how to adjust the thermostat if that's possible, and the WiFi password.  Also, if there is just one shared bathroom, explain how you handle privacy:  "If the door's shut, it means someone is in it.  If the door's open, it's all yours!"  Oh and lastly, let them know that they can help themselves to things in the kitchen anytime, and show them where things are.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, KatieInMN said:

I use to keep a clock in our’s but everyone has phones these days…

I am in the clock camp too (digital). I don't want all the light from my phone if I want to see what time it is in the middle of the night. I also find that it's super easy to mess up the alarm on my phone when I pick it up--if I think I've snoozed it, but I've turned it off, that's a total pain.

I even have a suggestion that helps with things like a place to charge phones, though it's a little pricey for a clock: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09GW5BZ1G?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

It has USB chargers built in, you can dim the lights on it, it has multiple types of noises you can use for wakeup, and if you choose the default tune, it's very pleasant. Different models have different colors of light. I will note that I can't see the green light in the night--it's on DH's side of the bed, and I think something about the angle of the face makes it hard for me to see across the room when dimmed. I might be fine if I put on my glasses, but I usually can see a digital clock just fine without them. They offer multiple colors/styles, and each has a different light color.

37 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I am in the clock camp too (digital). I don't want all the light from my phone if I want to see what time it is in the middle of the night. I also find that it's super easy to mess up the alarm on my phone when I pick it up--if I think I've snoozed it, but I've turned it off, that's a total pain.

I even have a suggestion that helps with things like a place to charge phones, though it's a little pricey for a clock: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09GW5BZ1G?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

It has USB chargers built in, you can dim the lights on it, it has multiple types of noises you can use for wakeup, and if you choose the default tune, it's very pleasant. Different models have different colors of light. I will note that I can't see the green light in the night--it's on DH's side of the bed, and I think something about the angle of the face makes it hard for me to see across the room when dimmed. I might be fine if I put on my glasses, but I usually can see a digital clock just fine without them. They offer multiple colors/styles, and each has a different light color.

Both the clock and the lamp have usb chargers built-in, for a total of three in the room 😉

• Like 1

I want it to be quiet. I want to not have to hear everybody else doing their routine when I'm taking a break from people, and I want to feel like I can do my routine (a lot of pacing) without disturbing the entire house.

A few inexpensive improvements can make it a little more soundproof without looking ugly or breaking the bank.

1 hour ago, marbel said:

I don't think this was mentioned; if there are pets in the house, be sure to know if guests have any allergies or aversions. The guest room should be pet-and pet-hair free unless the guests are certain to have no allergies and like the pets in the house.

Echoing that I would be really free with food in the places where you want food consumed. We sometimes get mice so don't like to eat in the bedrooms even if we are careful. 

Yes! I really want to know (but would think it rude to ask) if this was the cat’s bedroom when guests weren’t using it.😂