Menu

Tornado

ScoutTN

1 minute ago, WildflowerMom said:

My cousin is in Montgomery County, TN.  She’s not responding to text.  Do you know anything about that area being hit?

We used to live in Montgomery County. Been looking for updates from friends. None yet.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

My cousin is in Montgomery County, TN.  She’s not responding to text.  Do you know anything about that area being hit?

11 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

We used to live in Montgomery County. Been looking for updates from friends. None yet.

I haven’t checked in with friends yet, but I am now. They could simply have cell service down.

• Like 6

Yes, Mayfield KY will never be the same again.
A very iconic small town, with the quintessential Courthouse in the center of town.
Which has been destroyed.

Instead of a College Graduation, ACT Tests, and Christmas Parades, everyone is checking on their family and friends.

Mayfield1.jpg

• Sad 23

1 minute ago, Ali in OR said:

I don't live in a tornado area. What do you do to stay safe with overnight storms? Do you all have a safe basement or something to ride out a storm? Can you sleep at all or are you up all night watching and waiting?

Praying for all those affected.

We have a concrete room in our basement that is our storm shelter. Any time the "watch" changes to a "warning", we head down there. When weather looks like it might get scary overnight, one of us stays awake to keep an eye on things. We listen to the police scanner, because that's the fastest way to get information on incoming dangerous conditions.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I don't live in a tornado area. What do you do to stay safe with overnight storms? Do you all have a safe basement or something to ride out a storm? Can you sleep at all or are you up all night watching and waiting?

My in-laws live in OK. The plan is to go into the bathroom if it looks imminent, but honestly their house would have to blow down before they would willingly do that. 🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nanax6 said:

Our son and his girlfriend live in Clarksville, TN and so thankful they are safe.  

Praying for everyone in those areas! 

Yes, because that area was badly hit a year or 2 ago.  The cavers had their national convention there I think in 2019.  Dh and ds attended and dd2 and I went up for the day and visited the old town w my dh.  I am glad they were spared this time.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 9:45 AM, Ali in OR said:

We knew we were being transferred to Huntsville, AL a few weekd before the devastating April 27, 2011 super cell tornadoes tore through AL included Tuscaloosa, home of Univ of AL, and in my area, ripped out all the power lines from our neaby nuclear plant and other power lines from the East too.  My city hsd no normal power for 10 days.  Dh and I flew in Memorial Day Weekend to choose and hopefully put an offer on a house that would be accepted.  We choose a house w two levels on a hill. The bottom level is walk out too in several areas but we have a very large bathroom area that is underground.  We have water, bicycle helmets, first aid, canned food, etc there alwsys.  We do not go there until not only do we have a tornado warning, but it is coming our specific way.  There has never been a tornado in recorded history that has hit our particular portion of the hill.  ( Our county has ARGIS maps of tornado paths, floods, etc).  I think in the 11 years we have lived  here, we were in it twice).  But when we had pets here (other than fish)  we moved them into crates znd put them there more times.

Edited by TravelingChris
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Footage of an Amazon building looking really damaged. 

At least two fatalities confirmed for that warehouse in Illinois. Search and rescue still ongoing.

ETA:

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-warehouse-in-illinois-collapses-100-workers-mass-casualty-incident-2021-12

”Speaking at a live press conference early Saturday, Edwardsville Police chief Michael Fillback confirmed there have been "at least two" deaths, one hospitalization, 3o workers transferred to the Pontoon Beach police station, and a number still unaccounted.”

Edited by Arcadia
Wrong city
  • Sad 12

I think the collapsed Amazon warehouse was in Edwardsville, IL, which is adjacent to St. Louis.
This news is just so devastating.
A friend was staying in the hotel across the street from that warehouse, & was totally fine.

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

The damage in Mayfield, Kentucky is massive. The news said one tornado was on the ground for 200 miles! It's so sad. Storms that large coming through at night is the worst possible scenario. Many people wouldn't have heard warnings.😢

We didn't have any tornadoes last night, but I couldn't sleep because the storm was scary. The rain was coming down in a solid sheet of water and the sound of the the wind was LOUD. Add in some thunder and lightning and I was prepared to run to the basement. It's still raining and very windy here now.

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

We have a NOAA weather radio with a loud alert. Houses in my part of town do not have basements because the water table is so high. We have a large closet on the ground floor we would use if needed. We wouldn't go to sleep if there was a high risk, but we've never had it after about 10 PM since we've lived here. The riskiest time of year is March-April, but weather has been weird this fall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Oregon averages 3 tornadoes a year.  Washington averages 2.5.  Usually itty-bitty, but EF3's are not unprecedented. - one of the most recent ones in Washington took out several homes on a cul-de-sac.  A number of years ago was the story of a couple who moved here, naively thinking we didn't have tornadoes.  Their roof was damaged by a tornado.

So - add that to the earthquakes, volcanoes, landslides, and wildfires we get here.

39 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

The damage in Mayfield, Kentucky is massive. The news said one tornado was on the ground for 200 miles! It's so sad. Storms that large coming through at night is the worst possible scenario. Many people wouldn't have heard warnings.😢

We didn't have any tornadoes last night night, but I couldn't sleep because the storm was scary. The rain was coming down in a solid sheet of water and the sound of the the wind was LOUD. Add in some thunder and lightning and I was prepared to run to the basement. It's still raining and very windy here now.

Do you have warnings on your phones?  

2dd is in Texas - but dsil's and my phones were going off like crazy one night with warnings last April.  (dd had gone to bed.)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Oregon averages 3 tornadoes a year.  Washington averages 2.5.  Usually itty-bitty, but EF3's are not unprecedented. - one of the most recent ones in Washington took out several homes on a cul-de-sac.  A number of years ago was the story of a couple who moved here, naively thinking we didn't have tornadoes.  Their roof was damaged by a tornado.

So - add that to the earthquakes, volcanoes, landslides, and wildfires we get here.

Do you have warnings on your phones?  

2dd is in Texas - but dsil's and my phones were going off like crazy one night with warnings last April.  (dd had gone to bed.)

Yes, the severe weather warnings were going off all night on my phone. Our city has tornado sirens, but the storm was so loud I'm not sure we would have heard them if they did go off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

We have an interior room in our basement that we go to. We make sure we have some supplies in there if there is a storm in the forecast. We don't do much for a watch besides stay aware. We used to be able to consider a "warning" time to take serious shelter but they have changed the conditions that qualify for a warning now and it is much looser and that has led to a "boy who cried wolf" take on the warnings. While warning used to mean head for shelter now it just means be ready to head for shelter (for us). We have a basement family room we can hang out in and quickly get to the shelter room. 

At night one of us stays up through the night. I have always told my kids to go to sleep but have shoes ready and I'd get them out of bed if necessary but I've only done that once. I also sleep in clothes I'd be comfortable evacuating in. LOL. 

I used to be really fearful of missing a warning but now we get warning so many ways. Just this morning for a severe thunderstorm warning we got emails, weather app alerts to our phones, city ems alerts to our phones, land line calls, the weather radio went off and all the cell phone apps also alerted dh and me on our apple watches. 

The two most dangerous situations we were in were not tornados and did not have warnings that we were aware of. One was a microburst in a run of the mill thunderstorm that dropped a tree through the living room and dining room of our house (while we were home). Another time was when we were caught out driving in the most intense hail storm I could never have imagined. So we have to stay weather aware even when it isn't a tornado threatening. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

We don't have a basement so we go inside our downstairs bathroom which is the most protected room in our house. 

Our phone started going off and DH woke up and kept watch until it was time then he and dear daughter got me and youngest and we went into our safe space and just waited. It hit our county pretty bad and one of our city's peninsula's. 

We're from California and we would take an earthquake over the tornado any day. They are super scary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MooCow said:

According to my daughter's best friend Clarksville Peeps are okay which I guess is also Montgomery county. 

Yep, Clarksville is Montgomery County. I've heard from a few friends that have said that there is damage is some parts but not bad like other areas. 

• Like 3

If you get as far east in TN as Knoxville things are OK with nothing scary but lots of power lines down and its still raining.  We just practiced Christmas music at church by the light of cell phones.  It's super weird because it's December and it looks like snow but temps are in the 60s  (but are supposed to be falling through the day). 

For the person who asked, we have a basement - it was something that we wanted in part because of storms - but while they are common I don't know that most houses have one.  I spent part of my growing-up years in north Florida, which which got random tornadoes sometimes and also had inland-hurricane situations that spun off tornadoes.  Very few houses there have basements, so most people shelter in windowless interior spaces like halls, bathrooms, or large closets.  At least with hurricane-induced storms there is plenty of warning.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clemsondana said:

If you get as far east in TN as Knoxville things are OK with nothing scary but lots of power lines down and its still raining.  We just practiced Christmas music at church by the light of cell phones.  It's super weird because it's December and it looks like snow but temps are in the 60s  (but are supposed to be falling through the day). 

For the person who asked, we have a basement - it was something that we wanted in part because of storms - but while they are common I don't know that most houses have one.  I spent part of my growing-up years in north Florida, which which got random tornadoes sometimes and also had inland-hurricane situations that spun off tornadoes.  Very few houses there have basements, so most people shelter in windowless interior spaces like halls, bathrooms, or large closets.  At least with hurricane-induced storms there is plenty of warning.

DH was outside puttering around in the driveway. The first time he came in and told me how warm it was since 60 is very warm for this time of year. An hour later he came in and said "the temperature just dropped 20 degrees" and when I checked I saw he was right! No wonder the weather is so unstable.

• Like 4

My teen is about an hour out of Birmingham, and says that the rain has largely stopped, so presumably the storms are farther East now. Hopefully that will make the rest of the trip more comfortable. DH and a neighbor are out cutting up the cedar, and it seems like DH's car avoided major damage (and it's old anyway). 

• Like 4