Menu

THIRD Annual Hive Holiday Card Exchange UPDATE: Capped; see last post if you're in.

Ginevra

In the interest of efficiency, I'm just re-posting the same content as last year's card exchange. 

• Members
  • LocationDetention with the Potions Master

I organized this last year and will do it again if there is interest. I think it was around 30 or so participants last year and I would cap it about the same if there is as much interest again this year. 

I started this because sending Christmas/Holiday Greetings cards is sort of dying out, I'm sure you've noticed. It is disappointing to send out a great bunch of nice, carefully-chosen cards and only get a small handful in return. So, this exchange is a guarantee that you will have around 30 or so cards this holiday season in exchange for the 30ish you will send out. 

Ground rules: Send any type of holiday card to all the Hivers on the list I will give you by PM, once I have compiled. Please make every possible effort to send out cards in a timely manner to everyone on the list. (If a crisis happens in your family, of course you're excused, but this only works if participation is highly reciprocal.) Cards can be religious or secular, handmade or store-bought, fancy or simple. 

In order to maintain the integrity of this community, this is only open to Hive members who have been around a while and whom I can identify as "people I know in cyberspace." This is simply not for newbies. If you would like to participate and you did it last year, and your address is the same, you can just say on this thread that you wish to participate again. If you want to participate anew this year, or your address or name has changed, please send me a PM. I'm trying to minimize the number of PMs I get because I have a bad habit of keeping my box more than 3/4s full; I'm a hoarder of old conversations. 😗 I *think* last year, all participants were in North America; I'm not sure if air mail to other continents is worth it for participants. I don't know how expensive or reliable/timely trans-continental card mailings are usually or this year in particular. 

I will keep this thread bumped as I'm able to, until we have around 30 or so people who desire to participate, at which time I will edit the title to say we're filled this year. Happy, safe and light-filled holidays to you all. 

ETA: I remember this question came up before; you can give me your IRL name in PM or just stick with your UN if you prefer. Just so long as the address you PM me is a real, physical address where you can receive mail. 🙂 

Also, I may not have made this clear: I am not "saving" anyone from last year. I need you to let me know if you want to participate; it will be first-come-first-served until we reach maximum. 

Edited by Quill
details
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

Do you still have my address?   

eta: I'm in...

If it hasnt changed since last year, I *should* have it...it's not in front of me and I'm too lazy to go seek it out, but I have a file in my office with last year's list. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AngelaR said:

I’d like to do it—but I don’t know if I’m too new?  I’ll send a PM and then you can let me know!

Hello, recent member. Perhaps next year you can be in. Since I am distributing IRL addresses and names, I feel a duty to keep that info to people I “know” from at least a few years’ history on here.

I hope it’s no hard feelings; I’ve been burned before (not with the card exchange but with a different attempt to help someone IRL I didn’t really “know”.) Hopefully, if you stick around, you can be included in the future. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

I'm not volunteering to coordinate it as I'm on Quill's list, but newbies and for those who are interested but Quill's list is full, you can always set up your own exchanges so no one is left out.  

I just want to echo this. I always feel a little badly to cut out our Aussie and European members. If a member wants to get something going on another continent, I think it’s a great idea. 

We are not capped yet but we’re in the mid-twenties, for anyone wondering. I think I can take 3-4 more people. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Quill said:

Hello, recent member. Perhaps next year you can be in. Since I am distributing IRL addresses and names, I feel a duty to keep that info to people I “know” from at least a few years’ history on here.

I hope it’s no hard feelings; I’ve been burned before (not with the card exchange but with a different attempt to help someone IRL I didn’t really “know”.) Hopefully, if you stick around, you can be included in the future. 

No worries!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GailV said:

Is there still room?  I'd love to get in on this!

Headed out the door to take a cat to the vet (the fun never ends!) -- will check back later.

You’re in! We can take a few more if anyone is thinking they missed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, Update on this everyone: We have 28 people, so I'm capping it for this year. @gardenmom5, I do not seem to have your address. Please PM it to me. For the following: @medawyn @Loowit @school17777 @Harriet Vane @Acorn @wilrunner  @Acorn @Starr @Kimberly in IN @melmichigan @CTVKath  - I used your address from 2020's list. If it is different, please PM me with a correction. 

I plan to circulate the lists this weekend so everyone has ample time. 

-Danielle

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

• Ginevra changed the title to THIRD Annual Hive Holiday Card Exchange UPDATE: Capped; see last post if you're in.

Thanks, @Quill!
For those on a budget, Dollar Tree has a variety of Christmas cards in stock in my area, so I snagged some pretty ones. 

Also, USPS got my Ezra Jack Keats' Snowy Day stamps to me within a week or two again this year, so I'm especially excited to send them to you guys who will likely appreciate them more than my usual recipients.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

Thank you

Oh my! That makes me feel like I’m the source of strange internet “breadcrumbs” about politicians and celebrities! 😄

Edited by Quill
Remove the suspicious letter! :)
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Send me your address and we’ll send you one. 🙂

Quill added me back in.  My address and board name is still the same as 3 years ago but I remember exchanging cards with you and am very happy that Quilll added me back since you have moved since I last sent you one.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Thanks, @Quill!
For those on a budget, Dollar Tree has a variety of Christmas cards in stock in my area, so I snagged some pretty ones. 

Also, USPS got my Ezra Jack Keats' Snowy Day stamps to me within a week or two again this year, so I'm especially excited to send them to you guys who will likely appreciate them more than my usual recipients.

Costco has some boxes of 40 for $15.  (several different boxes, each with a variety of four types of cards.)

That's cool about the stamps.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2