Menu

THIRD Annual Hive Holiday Card Exchange UPDATE: Capped; see last post if you're in.

Ginevra

2 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

DD4 has been over the moon with all of the cards. She keeps asking if they are for her stuffies. She's had me take some of the envelopes and write their names on them so that way they receive cards too. Cards keep disappearing and I think I'm going to find a trove of them when I get around to cleaning her room, lol. 

I haven’t mailed yours yet—I can include the stuffies names if she’d like! Just let me know what they are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I haven’t mailed yours yet—I can include the stuffies names if she’d like! Just let me know what they are.

Really?!?! That would make her world, lol. Cuddly, Tigey, and Kitty Kat seem to be the most excited about receiving mail, lol. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

Really?!?! That would make her world, lol. Cuddly, Tigey, and Kitty Kat seem to be the most excited about receiving mail, lol. 

Do the stuffies need separate cards?  I have a few left over and would be happy to mail one for each of them. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Do the stuffies need separate cards?  I have a few left over and would be happy to mail one for each of them. 

I'm sure the stuffies would love their own cards if you happen to have the extras and time! They do sit on the couch and "read" the cards very intently, I imagine the stuffies would be extremely pleased to be so important reading one of their very own! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Here is my joyful display!!! They are all on one part of a wall of bookshelves (with the books pushed back) and a small table added for room. 😁 The picture looks oddly proportioned but it makes this corner so beautiful in my house! Thank you so much for including me in this wonderful tradition! 

66542A97-AB08-4E19-8BF9-FA253C70828B.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

My ds16 is just fascinated by all the cards. As they come in the mail, he’s like, “What? More cards?” I finally stuck them all on a few doors in our hallway yesterday (I’d had them on a couple of tables, but they kept falling over) and he hung around to watch what I was doing.

I realized that I haven’t exchanged cards since before he was born, and this whole tradition of sending and receiving cards is new and foreign to him. To me, it’s something nice that reminds me of years ago when I exchanged cards every year; to him, this is a fresh new thing. 

I’m not sure I’m explaining it right—it’s just funny to me how fascinated he is by the whole thing. I can tell he’s not sure what to make of it. He seemed to think this was something that The Hive cooked up for this year, and when I explained to him yesterday that this used to happen every year and that people did this all the time, he was just flabbergasted. Charmed and flabbergasted. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the lovely cards! My Dd 16 has watched for the mailman every day and we have had fun opening the cards at dinner each night. This exchange has added some sparkle to our Christmas on a decidedly unsparkly year.

9B5B97A4-AE26-4F70-8078-FBB2EC0966DA.jpeg

447999AD-52EF-4726-9DFC-D0D687D7F121.jpeg

I re-uploaded the front door pic after adding one last card that somehow had gotten skipped, but now I cannot figure out how to delete the first one. I am SO not techy!

542DA4DD-597F-494D-82A2-71F3D7CD0F9A.jpeg

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 10

On 12/21/2021 at 8:26 PM, Acorn said:

@Mrs_Tigglewinkle   I lost my cards too but at least it was before I wrote them. I was beginning to wonder if I had misplaced the bag in the mall. The boxes did eventually turn up inside another bag in Dh’s dresser. 

I’m loving looking at all the beautiful cards and apologize mine were mailed yesterday.

@Acorn, got your card yesterday along with 2 others.  It’s so nice that we all mailed at different times so there’s almost a card in the mailbox everyday.

11C900C9-3414-43C1-A283-693CCAA2E5C1.jpeg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Quill said:

I love that!! But also…piano! 😍

There's a story behind that piano. It was originally my in-laws. My sil took piano lessons growing up but didn't feel any passion for it, so gave it up after a while. When I came into the family it was an exceedingly elegant picture display in the formal living room. I have always wanted to play piano, and I took lessons for just a wee bit in college but struggled to keep up while living in a dorm. One year for Valentine's Day my dh surprised me with it. I actually posted about it on TWTM forums on the old boards, lol.

I had no clue what was going on when there was a knock on the door. Two huge, thug-like guys were standing there grinning maniacally, and one was holding a vase with a single rose. As they stood there grinning, I shut the door to almost closed and peered at them through a 3-inch crack. We lived in a rough city neighborhood and I was always on guard. One guy said something like, "Take this while we unload a holder for the flowers." I just stared at him trying to figure out what on earth was going on. They looked creepy, but criminals don't usually show up with a vase and wait respectfully for their target to speak or respond. He repeated himself twice, then thrust the flower vase at me. They walked away while the kids and I peered at them through the curtains. They started unloading pieces from a truck and laying boards across the grass. Our puzzlement grew. Finally we figured it out when the main, curvy part of the piano came out of the truck.

The original idea was for me to finally take my long-coveted lessons. Instead we paid for the kids to take lessons, thinking I would get my turn in a year or two. But life was exceedingly busy and there was always something else to spend money on. And now I really, really regret not taking lessons back then, because my hands are really frail from the combined effects of a connective tissue disorder and a long-undiagnosed gluten intolerance. I'll never play piano--it's just too much strain.

We keep the piano because dh is attached to it and because we may yet have more kids in our house. (Foster care? Who knows--not sure if we will dip back into that cesspool. We love the kids and are not scared or intimidated by ptsd behaviors. We are, however, badly burned from the many layers of dishonesty and selfishness and abuse of power that is inherent in the system.) I suspect we'll figure out what to do with the piano only when we move from this home someday.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I agree that it's been wonderful to get cards over such a long period of time.  We've had some emotionally gloomy days here (haven't we all?)(I had to put down Geriatric Cat, who is in my avatar from years ago) and it's been so cheery to get fun mail.

And I really like seeing all the same cards in everyone's displays.  Every time I look at these pictures my first thought is along the lines of, "Wow! We got that same card!" just like I'm about 3 years old.

• Thanks 2

Can I just say I’m so very glad we’re doing this for this year because I’m so sad about the trashing of our celebrations this year. Stupid omicron. But the cards streaming in have been a bright spot in a dark season.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

After losing all my cards and then throwing my back out, which meant I spent a lot of time lying flat, I’m pleased to say everyone should be getting their after Christmas but before Lent cards this week!

Moonhawk, Cuddly, Tiger and Kitty Kat are getting their own card from my 9-year-old and her stuffed dog, Husker.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

After losing all my cards and then throwing my back out, which meant I spent a lot of time lying flat, I’m pleased to say everyone should be getting their after Christmas but before Lent cards this week!

Moonhawk, Cuddly, Tiger and Kitty Kat are getting their own card from my 9-year-old and her stuffed dog, Husker.

I’ve taken all my Christmas stuff down, except I left up the cards so yours will be added.

• Like 2