Menu

monthly mortgage

It is going to vary widely depending where people live, their income level, etc.

:iagree: Another factor is how much one put down on their home at time of purchase.

If the point is to just determine how much of one's income is directed to mortgage, one should just consult the ?What % of your income goes to your mortgage? thread. :-)

Incidentally, it's amazing to me to see that some are making similar payments to mine on 30y loans (rather than our 15) for much smaller properties. :-{ Definitely location and downpayment specific!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$1140 including all insurance and escrow and such

for 2800+ a bit sq ft

5 bdrm (tech 4 bdrm + huge gameroom that we use as a bdrm)

2 living

2.5 bath

2 car attached garage (used as a game/storage area b/c a 12 passenger van is too tall to fit in there :) )

in a nice neighborhood, well-kept neighborhood on a decent sized lot

We got an awesome deal even for our area imho.

Otherwise, there's no way we'd be here and we looked for several years before it happened. Divine Providence I tell you!:D

So grateful. Otherwise, we'd still be in the dumpy always needing repairs 1000sq ft in a terrible area to have kids for nearly $700 a month house that we lived in for nearly 6 years.

~$1600 for 3000+sf home (5 / 4). . .1924 house, fair-sized yard, big city. We are now officially 3 years into our 30 year loan, and we put out a fair-sized chunk for a down-payment.

Thus far, all our home improvements haven't added to our debt (haven't added to our savings either. . .)

• 6 months later...

4200 sq feet, 5 br + office, 4 1/2 baths. Outside of town 20 minutes or so, so we pay extra for gas to get to work.

We are, and have always been, a 2-income family. If we were only one income we'd be happily living in our previous 2600 sq foot house with 4 br, 2.5 baths, for 1000/month. There are days I wish that were the case.

$2400 - we live in a very small, very rural area where cost of living is low.

I didn't elaborate when I posted this. We live in a new construction 3130 sq ft living space (over 5K sq feet if you include all of the nooks, crannies, and garage space...at least that is the sq ft according to the stupid property tax people. :glare:) Our house was finished 4 years ago (we built it and it took awhile). We have 4 br, 3 full baths, living/dining/kitchen, and an enormous man cave for all of dh's junk...errr I mean, stuff.

Our low payment is because we paid quite a bit on it as we went as well as from the sale of our other house. 15 year loan....11 years left. We live on 56 acres - mostly forest in the mountains, but about 12 acres of farm land. :)

Edited by Tree House Academy

Nothing! Yay. Less than 800 sq. ft. house (no garage), on a big lot for "downtown." It's actually two lots, but the lots are teeny around here so that isn't saying much. I think property taxes are around $2,000/year, but I'm not sure. I paid $1,000 extra every month whenever I could. It added up over the years. Once I paid $10,000 extra when I got an inheritance. That sure helped!

ETA: Ooooh, I'm a "forager bee." Do those really exist?

Julie

Edited by buddhabelly

I can't decide if this thread makes me feel better or worse about what we're paying! My in-laws bought our house 52 years ago for just under $16,000--three stories, 6,000 sq ft in an historic district. Fast forward to 2005 when we had to take a fairly large mortgage to settle the estate, and in three years our taxes almost tripled. Let's just say our mortgage payment is waaaay more than I'm comfortable with and we'd never make it if we didn't rent out a big portion of our home.

No kidding! I would love to live in some of these towns with lower house payments. Of course, I'm sure it has a lot to do with when you bought.

I can't decide if this thread makes me feel better or worse about what we're paying! My in-laws bought our house 52 years ago for just under $16,000--three stories, 6,000 sq ft in an historic district. Fast forward to 2005 when we had to take a fairly large mortgage to settle the estate, and in three years our taxes almost tripled. Let's just say our mortgage payment is waaaay more than I'm comfortable with and we'd never make it if we didn't rent out a big portion of our home.

Of course, I'm sure it has a lot to do with when you bought.

Yup. We got ours as a foreclosure and thought we got a steal. Since everything crashed though, the foreclosures here are VERY sweet. There is a house up the road with a little less house (but still over 2000 sq ft) and a bit more land (I think it's 1.75 acres); it's $30K! So houses this size in here go for anywhere between $140K and $30K! Crazy!

One thing I wish is that the families who lose their houses would have an opportunity at the new price. $30K makes your payment on a 15yr loan, counting tax and insurance, under $400/mo! Sweet! I guess the PROBLEM with that is that people would let their houses go into default in order to get the new price which is almost always WAY under what they were paying, even if not $30K cheap.

Edited by 2J5M9K

$915 for 2200 sq ft split level in 1960's neighborhood in a relatively affluent suburb (it wasn't when we moved here. We are now considered the "quaint modest" housing area of our suburb.) 15 yr fixed mortgage with 11 years left. We had half down due to equity from previous house.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
2200, not 22,000 sq ft. Yeesh!!!

Ours is just over $900/month for a 3000 sq. ft. house. We have been in it for 6 years. When we bought it, we had a "piggyback" mortgage...one for 80%, and one for 15%. We were able to pay off the smaller mortgage last year, which dropped our payments from $1100 to $900.

I don't have a clear answer on this. It is complicated! We own a 1900 sq ft house in Florida that we rent. Our mortgage on that was about $900 a month - will be more when we lose our homestead for renting. Then we bought our house that we live in with home equity from the Florida house. I just refinanced that home equity loan into a HELOC on the actual SC house. So, for JUST interest on the house 2600 sq ft house we live in here in SC is $275 plus about 1200 annually for taxes and insurance. Ideally, we would like to pay more to that than just interest, but dh got laid off. So, we the rent on the Florida house covers both payments. We are hoping to sell out house in 2010 and nearly pay off the house we are in now depending on how much we can get for the house next year. This year is a stay above water year, just hoping for next year.

No kidding! I would love to live in some of these towns with lower house payments. Of course, I'm sure it has a lot to do with when you bought.

It also has a lot to do with how much was put down!

We bought when prices were good, interest rates were great, and we *could have put down 0%.

We did pay a downpayment anyway, but not enough to skip PMI. I think we can drop our PMI next year.

Our mortgage with interest is just under $1000. Add in taxes and insurance and it's over $1300. Our taxes have gone up, so it's about $100/mo more than when we bought the house. We also have annual dues that's around $750 now.

We have a small 3/2 on 1.25 acres.

I didn't elaborate when I posted this. We live in a new construction 3130 sq ft living space (over 5K sq feet if you include all of the nooks, crannies, and garage space...at least that is the sq ft according to the stupid property tax people. :glare:) Our house was finished 4 years ago (we built it and it took awhile). We have 4 br, 3 full baths, living/dining/kitchen, and an enormous man cave for all of dh's junk...errr I mean, stuff.

Our low payment is because we paid quite a bit on it as we went as well as from the sale of our other house. 15 year loan....11 years left. We live on 56 acres - mostly forest in the mountains, but about 12 acres of farm land. :)

so so jealous here.....

Oh, these threads always make me want to cry :crying: We pay $2237 a month for a 30-year mortgage, for 1,700 square feet on 1/3 acre. This house is about 40 years old and aging rapidly, and the neighborhood is getting less desirable, not more so. There are so many benefits to living in NJ, but oh, what I wouldn't give to move somewhere cheaper! Our taxes alone are $7,200 and rising every year :banghead:

$1,145. About 1/4th of take-home pay for about 1,500 sq. ft (not sure exactly - might be a bit more) 1906 two-story house with FIVE bedrooms (small, though) 1 and 1/2 baths. Ah, I remember growing up when my folks had twice as much NEW house in S. California for 1/3rd the cost!!!! And complained about how expensive it was!!!!!

Just asked hubby - he thinks it is closer to 1,900 sq. ft. We are halfway through a 30-year fixed.

Edited by JFSinIL

Houston did not experience the crazy increase in housing prices that other areas of the country did. It also has not experienced the incredible drops. (not to say there haven't been some drops, but nothing like other areas of the country) Housing has been affordable here for a very long time.

We put 20% down on a 15 year mortgage for a 3200 square foot house back in 2003. Our house payment is about $1300 (mortgage and taxes).

Please tell me it is out in the middle of nowhere, just to make me feel better.

That's got to be out in Temecula or somewhere like that? It's less to buy out there but the commute anywhere is pretty bad.

I live in Orange County, CA. The house was built in 1965 and we bought it in 1999 (from my mom...I've actually lived in this house since 1979 when I was 10:)). It is 1482 sq feet on a 10,000 sq ft lot.

We have a 30 year fixed under 6% and pay just over $1800 per month which includes our taxes and insurance.

That's got to be out in Temecula or somewhere like that? It's less to buy out there but the commute anywhere is pretty bad.

I live in Orange County, CA. The house was built in 1965 and we bought it in 1999 (from my mom...I've actually lived in this house since 1979 when I was 10:)). It is 1482 sq feet on a 10,000 sq ft lot.

We have a 30 year fixed under 6% and pay just over $1800 per month which includes our taxes and insurance.

Not bad for Orange County!!

1000.00 which includes city and state taxes (we live in city limits.) and homeowners.

We have a 3/2full and 2 half bath townhouse with three finished levels. ~ 2000 sq ft. It's also an end unit that overlooks woods. thought we lucked into it but the value has now diminished by 34%. ugh.

We had our house built in 1996 and it's around 2000 sq. Our mortgage monthly is $340, plus insurance is around $80. We pay taxes yearly and they are about $300 for the year. So, broken down into monthly, if it's added all together, would be about $445/month.

We live in a small town (about 10,000 people) in Mississippi. Our house is in a small neighborhood (all the other houses are owned by my family - my parents or siblings OR by my best friend growing up's family. My family and her family have lived on the street for almost 40 years...all of their children just built around them!).

Our house is nice and at the moment is being completely remodeled from top to bottom. Looking at what others pay, it would seem we live in squalor...haha However, we don't. The cost of living here is just MUCH less than other places. :D