Menu

Her hair is fixed and that is a good thing

TravelingChris

Someone asked Husquavera why their English/American instructions for their chains saws said to not stop with your hands, but the swedish version didn't.

Their comment was "Swedes would be too embarrassed to admit they'd done something so stupid." 

frankly -  we need to stop being afraid of telling people they were an idiot.

• Like 17
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, frogger said:

Ah, and she now has a go fund me also. Perhaps she is just a scam artist who thought she could make a lot of money off of it.  

https://www.gofundme.com/f/gorilla-glue-girl

Entirely possible.

locally we had a case of a woman who was the "victim" of an acid attack.  Right after she bought her first pair of sunglasses (which protected her eyes.)

bottom line - she wanted cosmetic surgery, so she threw it in her own face and claimed to have been attacked.

• Sad 2

32 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

apparently the twitter world has lots of  people defending her actions of putting the glue in her hair not specifically formulated for hair.

and then no one can have anything because there is no limit to how stupid some people can be.  Things that wouldn't occur to rational people, will occur to idiots to try.

The Darwin Awards were created just for them.

• Like 5

Count me on the other side.

I don't like frivolous lawsuits and Gorilla girl would not like to have me on her jury if the case ever got that far, but so-called "tort reform" of the sort proposed (ie, putting a litigant on the hook for all the legal fees if they lost their cases) would have a very deleterious effect on product safety.

That would be a throw the baby out with the bathwater approach.

Bill

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Count me on the other side.

I don't like frivolous lawsuits and Gorilla girl would not like to have me on her jury if the case ever got that far, but so-called "tort reform" of the sort proposed (ie, putting a litigant on the hook for all the legal fees if they lost their cases) would have a very deleterious effect on product safety.

That would be a throw the baby out with the bathwater approach.

Bill

The very act of defending against lawsuits like this makes it more likely small businesses and individuals will pay to make them go away, which because an incentive for a lawsuit like these. THey don't get as far as a jury because of the cost in public relations and $$ involved.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

The very act of defending against lawsuits like this makes it more likely small businesses and individuals will pay to make them go away, which because an incentive for a lawsuit like these. THey don't get as far as a jury because of the cost in public relations and $$ involved.

Gorilla glue isn't a small business under any definition of the term. The facts are that people injured by faulty products have far less monetary and legal power than large corporations do. Putting people who are harmed by unsafe products on the hook for legal fees if their cases fail would only exacerbate the disparity.

The cure here is far worse than the disease.

Bill

• Like 8

I've been following this since the story first came out. The headlines/wording went from the woman choosing to use glue when she ran out of hairspray to "accidentally/mistakenly" using the glue. Then the GoFundMe (sickening) and the lawsuit. Last night the race card was played in the way of Black women being pressured to "tame their unruly hair". Uh-huh. Whatever. We've been talking a lot about this situation with the dc and I'm really, really, really angry. People with cancer or who have real problems not self-inflicted are struggling and this moron is raking in the bucks.

Stupidity pays whether by the one doing something stupid or the ones supporting/bailing them out. That GoFundMe...I'm beyond disgusted.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BakersDozen said:

I've been following this since the story first came out. The headlines/wording went from the woman choosing to use glue when she ran out of hairspray to "accidentally/mistakenly" using the glue. Then the GoFundMe (sickening) and the lawsuit. Last night the race card was played in the way of Black women being pressured to "tame their unruly hair". Uh-huh. Whatever. We've been talking a lot about this situation with the dc and I'm really, really, really angry. People with cancer or who have real problems not self-inflicted are struggling and this moron is raking in the bucks.

Stupidity pays whether by the one doing something stupid or the ones supporting/bailing them out. That GoFundMe...I'm beyond disgusted.

yeah.  right.  I had totally straight hair growing up.  Me, a white girl, was "pressured" to get it permed so it would be curly, and "have volume."

Frankly - I blame the beauty industry.  Those with curly hair need to straighten it, those with straight hair must have curls.  beauty industry must make a profit.

she didn't do anything accidently.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

‘Race card’ WTH? You may never have been subjected to the politicization of black hair and the push to make it straight and ‘tamed’ at all times but it does exist. That’s a dung heap dig that has nothing to do with the stupidity of using products in unintended ways or the legitimacy (or not) of her legal claims. Your ignorance is showing.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 20

4 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Someone asked Husquavera why their English/American instructions for their chains saws said to not stop with your hands, but the swedish version didn't.

Their comment was "Swedes would be too embarrassed to admit they'd done something so stupid." 

frankly -  we need to stop being afraid of telling people they were an idiot.

When we lived in Belgium, we bought a ladder that was super cheap because of reasonable liability rules. We also had an America. Lawn mower that had a warning boy to use it to trim bushes-  it was a heavy lawnmower, not some super light one.  I am sure tge warning was based in some moron's lawsuit.

And no, I never laughed at the woman's problem but I sure did think she was an idiot.

I read this story when it first came out, before a lawsuit or GFM.  I don't care about beauty norms- this is about misusing a product, then blaming the manufacturer bc there were consequences.    There are directions on the can that state what its used for.  A company should not be held liable if you misuse a product!  We use Gorilla Glue products for lots of things and I don't want them to change the formula just bx an idiot sprayed it in her hair!  Its for fixing tile- it needs to be waterproof!  

I do feel sorry for the woman and hope she finds a solution that will dissolve it without having to cut all her hair off!  I just don't think she should profit bx of her idiocy.

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

‘Race card’ WTH? You may never have been subjected to the politicization of black hair and the push to make it straight and ‘tamed’ at all times but it does exist. That’s a dung heap dig that has nothing to do with the stupidity of using products in unintended ways or the legitimacy (or not) of her legal claims. Your ignorance is 

Both dh and I think natural African hair is really nice and wish the Afro or short curly hair or if dreadlocks are easier or braids or however black women want to wear their hair us fine.  

I think a lot of the pressure on black women and their hair styles us probably from their significant others and from female relatives and friends.  Also probably the media. 

But one of the most shocking racial/colorist episodes I witnessed was watching that Bond movie w Grace Jones in s theater where we were likely the only white people and all the horrid remarks made about how ugly she is, how dark she is,  etc, etc.  She fid have natural hair in that movie and both dh and I thought she was quite attractive.

Plus, I see so many black women having long, soft curly hair nowadays, so not straight.

I know that many buy hair or use wigs and so have hair glued on at times.  But not w Gorilla Glue but wvsorc8sl glue for hair.

I am going to have to look into wigs or extra hair because of my lupus, a disease affecting mainly non-whites but me too 

3 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Both dh and I think natural African hair is really nice and wish the Afro or short curly hair or if dreadlocks are easier or braids or however black women want to wear their hair us fine.  

I think a lot of the pressure on black women and their hair styles us probably from their significant others and from female relatives and friends.  Also probably the media. 

But one of the most shocking racial/colorist episodes I witnessed was watching that Bond movie w Grace Jones in s theater where we were likely the only white people and all the horrid remarks made about how ugly she is, how dark she is,  etc, etc.  She fid have natural hair in that movie and both dh and I thought she was quite attractive.

Plus, I see so many black women having long, soft curly hair nowadays, so not straight.

I know that many buy hair or use wigs and so have hair glued on at times.  But not w Gorilla Glue but wvsorc8sl glue for hair.

I am going to have to look into wigs or extra hair because of my lupus, a disease affecting mainly non-whites but me too 

It’s black history month. There’s plenty of reading to be had. Colorism is a thing. So is internalized racism. And, no, the pressure to conform to European standards of beauty didn’t originate with significant others or female relatives but it has been passed down.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

‘Race card’ WTH? You may never have been subjected to the politicization of black hair and the push to make it straight and ‘tamed’ at all times but it does exist. That’s a dung heap dig that has nothing to do with the stupidity of using products in unintended ways or the legitimacy (or not) of her legal claims. Your ignorance is showing.

1. You are right that I have not been subjected to the politicization of black hair, but I do know that as someone with flat as can be, no life at all, thin, fine, what-the-heck-do-I-do-with-this hair, if I chose to try and keep up with what society or anyone/anything else pressures women to do (have gorgeous, thick, full of life hair) and I ran out of hairspray and chose to use glue to give my lifeless hair volume, I wouldn't blame societal pressures or anything else. Sure, it exists, but it doesn't make a foolish choice excusable.

2. I agree about the dung heap dig that has nothing to do with the stupidity of using products in unintended ways which is why, when I saw that comment/viewpoint included in an article I read last night, I was rather horrified. It was just one more facet to this ridiculous situation but it was what I read, not something I believe.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

When I first heard this story I was reminded of my own hair disaster experience.

I was in my first year of college and living in an off-campus dorm at UCSB (Santa Barbara). A buddy (Marty) and I like to go spearfishing off Deveraux Pt in Isla Vista near where we lived. We did this pretty regularly.

There was oil drilling off Deveraux. And occasionally tar would wash up on the beach. "Natural seepage" according to the oil companies. 

But one time we went out and unbenounced to us there was an oil slick. I think a tanker had just filled up must have made a spill.

Although we noticed an oil smell, the smell of oil wasn't entirely unusual and we could not see it. As we were skin-diving (no tanks, just masks, snorkels, and spears) we spent most of our time cruising the surface. We were out for hours. Neither of us realizing our hair (it was the 1976-77 term and we both had our freak flags flying) was becoming deeply matted with oil.

Matted is an understatement. Both of us looked the the most pitiable examples of birds that been coated in bad oil spills. It could not have been worse. Really. Like we'd been dipped in hot tar. No way to get it off. A complete disaster.

Then an amazing thing happened. Teams of kids from our dorm mobilized to help us. Over many (many) hours people took turns scrubbing our heads, alternating between using vegetable oil in an attempt to soften the hardened tar and then detergents. It probably took 10 hours of intensive work before I regained some hope that I might retain my hair. But our team didn't quit until they had 90% of the tar out of our hair. It took truly heroic efforts.

And I dunno, as bad as I felt about being tarred I was blown away by the kindness of everyone who helped us. Trying to work oil out of someone's hair that was a bad as ours was was not a fun job. But people didn't quit. I'll never forget the human kindness.

Bill

• Like 32

48 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

The US has a concept of frivolous litigation, doesn't it?  Wouldn't that cover the case of someone doing something that a reasonable person would not?

Yes, we do. It will be sorted out in court. It is always possible that the public is hearing the story circumstances differently from the reality, though it is also possible the suit is exactly as silly as it seems. 

So, for example, just to use a completely hypothetical situation, I recently just saw an add for a hair product that is called something like “hair treats” in “flavors” like watermelon. The packaging looks literally like a mini ice cream. What if, say, someone’s roommate bought one, left it sitting on the counter and then she came home from work late, got a spoon and started to eat some? Is she an idiot because she ate a hair product? Or is there a possibility the general public could make that mistake? 

The bar for what people “should realize” is actually pretty low. Not everybody is smart. Ill see if I can find a picture of the hair treat thing. 

Here it is: https://www.garnierusa.com/about-our-brands/fructis/fructis-treats?GeoRedirectOff=true&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2bKk4dfh7gIVC9vACh30fAY1EAAYASAAEgLnbvD_BwE

Edited by Quill

14 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

and then no one can have anything because there is no limit to how stupid some people can be.  Things that wouldn't occur to rational people, will occur to idiots to try.

The Darwin Awards were created just for them.

Pretty sure my 5 year old knows not to put glue in his hair. I mean seriously people.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Yes. My husband sees that at work. They will settle because it’s cheaper than the attorney fees and publicity. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I think she has denied reports that she is suing them. 

As I have been thinking about this story, I think it fits into Outrage Culture. In the same way that show about people who weigh over 600 lbs is for the purpose of making the viewer self-righteously be outraged that anyone could get into such a state, and then feel superior because surely *they* never would get so fat, the gorilla glue story is the same. It is meant to make people self-righteously think *they* would never be so stupid as to put glue in their hair when they run out of hairspray. 

When you study innovative people, like Elon Musk, you see that what sets them apart is to do something that “will never work,” or to see a way to use something differently from intended. What if, by trying gorilla glue, she had discovered it works in a superior way to hair spray? Wouldn’t the public admire her for seeing an out-of-the-box solution? 

Don’t misunderstand; I’m not suggestion putting glue in one’s hair is the best idea. What I’m saying is, I think it is a societal negative that “we” are holding her up to ridicule and I suspect there is more to the story that makes it less silly than it seems at first. 

Let me share a moment when I almost did something potentially hazardous because it seemed like it would save time, where I was “saved” by stupid product warnings. You know how every hair dryer has warnings not to “use in the tub” or “use while bathing”, etc? Seems like such a stupid warning. Who is going to dry their hair while in the bath? But! For a while, I was treating my feet daily with an Epsom Salt bath for 15-20 minutes and it also takes me about the same length of time to dry my hair. It has crossed my mind: could I soak my feet while I dry my hair? But I kept thinking of those warnings: DO NOT USE WHILE BATHING! RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK OR DEATH! What if the dryer slipped from my hands and fell into the foot bath? It isn’t that likely, but it could happen. And I could die. And then the news channels could hold me up to ridicule for doing something so stupid as using an electric hair dryer while my feet were in a water tub. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, Quill said:

As I have been thinking about this story, I think it fits into Outrage Culture. In the same way that show about people who weigh over 600 lbs is for the purpose of making the viewer self-righteously be outraged that anyone could get into such a state, and then feel superior because surely *they* never would get so fat, the gorilla glue story is the same. It is meant to make people self-righteously think *they* would never be so stupid as to put glue in their hair when they run out of hairspray. 

Yes, I agree totally. (and I hate those shows)

• Like 4

I pretty much agree with @Quill. To me things like this tie in with the gripes many have about the constant stream of "news" that's really designed to play on our emotions, get us revved up and riled up at the "other side." In understanding how that works and why various corporations and groups might want to direct my emotions, I'm trying to be more aware of not allowing that to happen.

I first heard about this story--not a potential lawsuit, but about the woman having used Gorilla Glue on her hair and the trouble she was having getting it off--about a week ago. And it struck me enough that I told DH about it. One of those "I just read this weird story" type things.

But that's about as much mental and emotional space as I'm willing to give it. I'd like to think I'd never do anything that stupid, but the reality is . . any of us could. I wish her luck in getting it out w/o any more harm.

• Like 9

Yes, people love having something to get upset about, and love to find ways they are superior to others. As far as I can tell from a couple of articles (I haven't researched deeply) -

- she made a mistake, possibly by misinterpreting the label precautions - not to use on skin - as not including hair.

- she has not said she's planning to sue.

- she set up her own gofundme for purposes of travel funds to get to the doctor who could help her - the fact that people are giving more has nothing to do with anything. People will give if, and what, they want. 

- beauty standards for women - ugh. The notion that someone's natural hair is "wrong" somehow, just ugh. I'm including everyone whose hair in its natural state doesn't fit the current standards of beauty. Honestly I thought "we" were over that. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

One generally has to delve into details about these situations because media tends to hyperfocus on the alleged silliness of it all. 

Remember the coverage of the McDonald's coffee case?  People were up in arms that a woman had audacity to sue because her coffee was hot.  However, she suffered substantial burns and had to have skin grafts.  At the time, McDonald's coffee was served at about 40 degrees less than boiling point!

I feel a great deal of sympathy for the Gorilla glue lady being our temporary laughingstock and criticism target.  I, too, have unintentionally misused a product, but fortunately there were no disastrous effects.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, annandatje said:

One generally has to delve into details about these situations because media tends to hyperfocus on the alleged silliness of it all. 

Remember the coverage of the McDonald's coffee case?  People were up in arms that a woman had audacity to sue because her coffee was hot.  However, she suffered substantial burns and had to have skin grafts.  At the time, McDonald's coffee was served at about 40 degrees less than boiling point!

I feel a great deal of sympathy for the Gorilla glue lady being our temporary laughingstock and criticism target.  I, too, have unintentionally misused a product, but fortunately there were no disastrous effects.

And, in fact, the woman in the McDonald's case had only asked for enough to cover her medical expenses. McDonald's offered her under $1000. They'd known this was a risk for years, and they'd chosen not to fix the problem, and the jury decided to fine them two day's worth of profits for that reason.

• Like 9

I read that her normal product is Got2B Glued Styling Glue. Looking at her normal product's labeling, it actually says spiking glue, not styling gel. It's extremely unfortunate she chose to substitute with Gorilla Glue, and I definitely wish her the best on removing it, but I can sort of see the jump to well, glue is what I use - it can't be that different to use actual glue. It'll just wash out like my water-resistant styling glue.

Got2B Glue: https://www.amazon.com/Got2B-Glued-Spiking-Styling-Original/dp/B000142OC2

• Like 10

Snopes says it can't confirm or deny that she is suing.  

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/woman-suing-gorilla-glue-hair/

So some media outlet though it would create good outrage click bait to say she is evidently.  There is no link the OP of this thread.  Individuals do dumb things at times.  It is unlikely a lawsuit like this would get anywhere.  There is a long road between threatening to sue and having it actually heard in court.   Large companies employee lawyers full time to deal with this.  I did plenty of dumb stuff with my own very thin straight hair in the 80's and I do know people who used elmers for their mohawks or spikes.  I can't imagine wasting any energy on a regular citizen's poor personal choices.  I hope she gets her scalp squared away and is ok.  Absolutely agree with Quill.

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marbel said:

Yes, people love having something to get upset about, and love to find ways they are superior to others. As far as I can tell from a couple of articles (I haven't researched deeply) -

- she made a mistake, possibly by misinterpreting the label precautions - not to use on skin - as not including hair.

- she has not said she's planning to sue.

- she set up her own gofundme for purposes of travel funds to get to the doctor who could help her - the fact that people are giving more has nothing to do with anything. People will give if, and what, they want. 

- beauty standards for women - ugh. The notion that someone's natural hair is "wrong" somehow, just ugh. I'm including everyone whose hair in its natural state doesn't fit the current standards of beauty. Honestly I thought "we" were over that. 

What I think people find frustrating is that there are more and more rules to protect people from themselves. When my teenager can't buy a lighter at a grocery store, it is exasperating.

I'm glad to hear she is not sueing as that was what bothered me most. I shouldn't have accepted the first post as reliable without a good source.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Sigh.  I feel old.  

Does no one else remember that elmer’s glue was used to spike hair back in the 80s?  Or is my old school punk showing?  

I remember!  In fact when dh and I were talking about this story I was telling him about a boy in my school who styled his hair with styling gel and Elmer's every morning.  His mohawk was literally as high as he could reach.  Such fun memories!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I read that her normal product is Got2B Glued Styling Glue. Looking at her normal product's labeling, it actually says spiking glue, not styling gel. It's extremely unfortunate she chose to substitute with Gorilla Glue, and I definitely wish her the best on removing it, but I can sort of see the jump to well, glue is what I use - it can't be that different to use actual glue. It'll just wash out like my water-resistant styling glue.

Got2B Glue: https://www.amazon.com/Got2B-Glued-Spiking-Styling-Original/dp/B000142OC2

I thought the same thing when I was reading about it.  That she used a styling glue and just substituted another glue.  An unwise decision, but I can see the mental leap.  Especially if it was early in the morning.

• Like 4

I feel compassion for a woman who has been desperate to remove this product from her hair.  She regrets going to the internet for help and opening herself up to trolls.  (per one account- which also quoted her as saying that she is not going to sue).  She's gone to the ER.  She's tried following Gorilla Glue's recommendations for removal.  She's now cut off much of her hair but the hair that is attached to the scalp is another matter.  I hope that this doctor can help her. 

• Like 11

Thank you for saying that, Quill about outrage culture. That's exactly how I felt about this. I mean, yeah, she did something dumb. The lawsuit is probably frivolous barring unknown facts. But the outrage here towards her at the start of this thread... good grief, y'all. It's not hurting you. Roll your eyes and move on. Let the legal system work. And if you have real thoughts about reforming it, share with some nuance that understands how difficult it is for real victims to get compensation even with our current system.

I put Elmer's in my hair many times for fun as a teen for like costumes and the like. It washes right out. I'd like to think I'd know better than to do the same with Gorilla Glue, but...  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

The US has a concept of frivolous litigation, doesn't it?  Wouldn't that cover the case of someone doing something that a reasonable person would not?

There recently was a  woman  that sued a hotel, and all sorts of other people who actually tried to help find her son who was 18, I believe, who went to an event and rolled himself in in a giant roll of carpeting in an area closed to the public and not used much.  He died but wasn't found until days later.  Anyway, the judge ordered her to pay attorney fees for all those she sued. I was very happy about that result and want it to happen a lot more 

• Like 3

Just now, klmama said:

Ok, I have to ask.  Did you use Elmer's Glue-All or School Glue?  Just in case dc wants a punk costume sometime.....

At least in the old days, they both would wash out. School Glue DEFINITELY washes right out. I mean, it may take a minute or a shampoo or two if you really went crazy with it, but it's water soluble. You can make your hair stand up like Pippi or have silly looking shapes. Nowadays there might be better products though. I'm not sure.