Menu

Her hair is fixed and that is a good thing

TravelingChris

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

At least in the old days, they both would wash out. School Glue DEFINITELY washes right out. I mean, it may take a minute or a shampoo or two if you really went crazy with it, but it's water soluble. You can make your hair stand up like Pippi or have silly looking shapes. Nowadays there might be better products though. I'm not sure.

Lol!  I wish we'd known about it in the 70s!  I wore a coat hanger through my braids to dress as Pippi.  Not comfy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Quill said:

As I have been thinking about this story, I think it fits into Outrage Culture. In the same way that show about people who weigh over 600 lbs is for the purpose of making the viewer self-righteously be outraged that anyone could get into such a state, and then feel superior because surely *they* never would get so fat, the gorilla glue story is the same. It is meant to make people self-righteously think *they* would never be so stupid as to put glue in their hair when they run out of hairspray. 

When you study innovative people, like Elon Musk, you see that what sets them apart is to do something that “will never work,” or to see a way to use something differently from intended. What if, by trying gorilla glue, she had discovered it works in a superior way to hair spray? Wouldn’t the public admire her for seeing an out-of-the-box solution? 

Don’t misunderstand; I’m not suggestion putting glue in one’s hair is the best idea. What I’m saying is, I think it is a societal negative that “we” are holding her up to ridicule and I suspect there is more to the story that makes it less silly than it seems at first.

The big difference between that woman and the shows of giant people, etc is that those in those shows signed up for that program ( and like ktgrok. I hate those shows too) is that the only reason the world knows about her is that she put it on public social media.  Like it is one thing if she asks her friends for help on Facebook and it is set on private but completely different if set to public or put out on Twitter, etc

• Like 1

Not every person has the forethought to think through the consequences of putting information on a public social media.  I highly doubt she thought  she'd have 15 minutes of crappy fame and harassment for her poor choices.  She really probably was just looking for help.  It annoys me media picks up stories like this.  It isn't "news".  It is someone living their life and making a mistake.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

What she did was a really bad idea, and she states as much in her video. I would not have considered doing anything like that, but there are other stupid things I have done, luckily without horrible consequences. This guy, though, I have no sympathy for, lol: https://fox8.com/news/not-again-gorilla-glue-challenge-sends-louisiana-man-to-the-er/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Sigh.  I feel old.  

Does no one else remember that elmer’s glue was used to spike hair back in the 80s?  Or is my old school punk showing?  

I was planning to post this after I read through the thread!  Glue as a hair product is definitely not new!

Some spray adhesives are temporary adhesives so if that's one's only experience with spray adhesive it isn't as big a leap.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

I’m guessing at this point people are giving her money because it’s one way to feel like they’re combating the hateful racism that’s so evident in our society, even on this board. 😔 

What racism are you referring to?  Because I have not seen it.  But I sure have seen very hateful comments made about people who voted a certain way or who think there were definite problems with the election (regardless if Biden won). 

• Like 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, kand said:

I haven’t followed this story beyond this thread, but this is a great point. My dd uses the spray version of the above product. 
Got2b Glued Blasting Freeze Hairspray, 12 Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009VQ8X8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_M4KXW98HAPC5E0RYK1BJ

While I can’t see myself ever spraying glue on my hair (I don’t even use hairspray), I could see my adult dd thinking it would be just like the Got2BGlued spray she uses. 

Looking at that product on Amazon, there are recommendations for lots of other products that are primarily designed for black hair or for wigs/extensions, including multiple products that are labeled as glues and adhesives. If this woman is used to seeing hair-safe products labeled as glue/adhesive, she may have just assumed that most glues are water soluble and would wash out. I've done enough DIY projects with Gorilla Glue to know it's permanent, but I can totally see how someone without that experience could think it would be similar to Elmer's. And there's also a heavy-duty hair product called Gorilla Snot that has similar looking packaging (red & yellow with a gorilla face on it).

As someone who tried to bleach her hair with Clorox in 7th grade, I have nothing but sympathy for this poor woman! And kudos to the plastic surgeon who spent 4 hours removing it for her for free.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, klmama said:

Ok, I have to ask.  Did you use Elmer's Glue-All or School Glue?  Just in case dc wants a punk costume sometime.....

Is there a difference?

Until this thread - I didn't know people deliberately put elmer's in their hair to make it spike.  And I was a teen in the 70s.

Dudeling was probably 3/4 when he covered himself in desitin . . . . . . . .  . it's not water soluble, it sticks to everything it touches, and dawn just runs off of it.   1dd, who did IB HL chem (as opposed to 2dd who has a bachelors' in Chem.) - came up with the unconventional idea of covering him in peanut butter (?huh?  wouldn't that just make things worse?)  I don't recall why she said it would work - but the peanut butter bonded to the desitin.  Then we could wash the peanut butter off of him with the dawn.  (and it took the desitin with it.)

see kids - you really do need chemistry even if you're not going to work in a field that requires chemistry. 

eta: I think she said there was something in the peanuts/oil that broke down the oil in the desitin.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Looking at that product on Amazon, there are recommendations for lots of other products that are primarily designed for black hair or for wigs/extensions, including multiple products that are labeled as glues and adhesives. If this woman is used to seeing hair-safe products labeled as glue/adhesive, she may have just assumed that most glues are water soluble and would wash out. I've done enough DIY projects with Gorilla Glue to know it's permanent, but I can totally see how someone without that experience could think it would be similar to Elmer's. And there's also a heavy-duty hair product called Gorilla Snot that has similar looking packaging (red & yellow with a gorilla face on it).

As someone who tried to bleach her hair with Clorox in 7th grade, I have nothing but sympathy for this poor woman! And kudos to the plastic surgeon who spent 4 hours removing it for her for free.

My sister did that, too. She and her friend were trying to “bleach” her hair (which was very dark) to look like her friend’s hair (which was super light blonde naturally). It didn’t work...🤪

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

The big difference between that woman and the shows of giant people, etc is that those in those shows signed up for that program ( and like ktgrok. I hate those shows too) is that the only reason the world knows about her is that she put it on public social media.  Like it is one thing if she asks her friends for help on Facebook and it is set on private but completely different if set to public or put out on Twitter, etc

Nevertheless, the story is being delivered by news media that seeks to make her a laughingstock and people play right into that by, indeed, ridiculing her. She probably felt desperate for help and that’s why she put it on SM. How many posters have come here asking, “Quick! How do I get ——— out of a ———-!” A lot! But nobody posts those questions thinking a week from now it will be splashed all over the web, ridiculing the silly homeschooler for XYZ ill-considered idea. 

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Is there a difference?

Until this thread - I didn't know people deliberately put elmer's in their hair to make it spike.  And I was a teen in the 70s.

Dudeling was probably 3/4 when he covered himself in desitin . . . . . . . .  . it's not water soluble, it sticks to everything it touches, and dawn just runs off of it.   1dd, who did IB HL chem (as opposed to 2dd who has a bachelors' in Chem.) - came up with the unconventional idea of covering him in peanut butter (?huh?  wouldn't that just make things worse?)  I don't recall why she said it would work - but the peanut butter bonded to the desitin.  Then we could wash the peanut butter off of him with the dawn.  (and it took the desitin with it.)

see kids - you really do need chemistry even if you're not going to work in a field that requires chemistry. 

eta: I think she said there was something in the peanuts/oil that broke down the oil in the desitin.

Spiking hair was an 80s-90s phenomenon. Part of alternative, grunge culture.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Quill said:

Nevertheless, the story is being delivered by news media that seeks to make her a laughingstock and people play right into that by, indeed, ridiculing her. She probably felt desperate for help and that’s why she put it on SM. How many posters have come here asking, “Quick! How do I get ——— out of a ———-!” A lot! But nobody posts those questions thinking a week from now it will be splashed all over the web, ridiculing the silly homeschooler for XYZ ill-considered idea. 

I started this thread specifically about frivolous lawsuits and idiotic behavior.  I wasn't laughing and in fact, I told everyone I never laughed at her a few posts down. 

And it really should come as a warning for people not to put such threads on public Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.  

If her story was I accidentally spilled GG on my hair and need help getting it out and never consult with lawyers or Go Fund Me page, that would make more sense.  Purposely putting  .amazon.com/Gorilla-Heavy-Adhesive-Multipurpose-Repositionable/dp/B0752XM8VN/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1YOLWWDAUWRFQ&dchild=1&keywords=gorilla+glue+spray&qid=1613084009&sprefix=gORILLA+GLUE+SPRAY%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-1

or even mistakenly think it is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009VQ8X8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_M4KXW98HAPC5E0RYK1BJ is idiotic- since if you look at the first image, it is an orange spray can with a gorilla on it and says heavy duty and shows industrial uses and the second image is a neon yellow spray can that looks like a cosmetic product and talks about how it is for screaming hold for hair.

But I do not want stupid or ignorant people to suffer so I am not advocating hating on her or laughing at her or anything like that.  I just think that she, unfortunately, probably is not well educated and not well self educated either but my visceral dislike was to the running to the lawyers to see if she can win a big lawsuit.

And yes, we all do dumb things but the other issue this thread could become is why are some people so addicted to getting their name and face out that they will even highlight idiotic things they have done to just get fame. (And I am not specifically talking about GGH woman, but I do think a lot of the dumb challenges like the one dsmith posted above with GG solo cup challenge or the other idiotic ones like the TIde Pods are done to post on Instagram or Facebook or whatever and get followers or impress their followers.

Can I just say I have no clue who any youtube or Instagram or whatever influencers are and the only time I even am interested in it is one they turn out to be criminals or unfortunately, turn out to be victims like I believe some influencer who was found dead in Houston? under very mysterious circumstances in Dec?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

But I do not want stupid or ignorant people to suffer so I am not advocating hating on her or laughing at her or anything like that.  I just think that she, unfortunately, probably is not well educated and not well self educated either but my visceral dislike was to the running to the lawyers to see if she can win a big lawsuit.

Ugh, so now she's "not well educated" as well as being "stupid and ignorant"???

She has explicitly said that she had no intention of filing a lawsuit, she has no idea why that was reported, and she she only posted because she was desperately seeking help and advice, since nothing she had done had worked. The lawsuit rumor was started by TMZ, with no sources cited, and it was picked up by multiple outlets who wanted to get in on the outrage and shaming, with no attempt at confirmation. 

So besides making nasty comments about this woman being stupid, ignorant, and uneducated, you are repeating rumors from a sleazy tabloid source to justify the judgmental comments. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

6 hours ago, Spryte said:

Sigh.  I feel old.  

Does no one else remember that elmer’s glue was used to spike hair back in the 80s?  Or is my old school punk showing?  

I remember, but from a little later. That was exactly what I thought of when I heard this story.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

started this thread specifically about frivolous lawsuits and idiotic behavior.  I wasn't laughing and in fact, I told everyone I never laughed at her a few posts down. 

And it really should come as a warning for people not to put such threads on public Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.  

That is my point, Chris. Apparently, her suing Gorilla Glue was *possibly* MADE UP. It was possibly MADE UP by a tabloid as part of the Outrage Culture that drives clicks and viral stories. This story went viral because “we” (society) loves to run with someone being foolish on no verification and zero fact-checking. “We” just love to get all excited about someone getting lawyered up when they have a bad outcome from a foolish decision. 

When I first heard this story, it was because my boss (a lawyer) came into the firm, all agitated about “this stupid woman who is suing Gorilla Glue because she put it in her hair.” I don’t know which news outlets were sharing that story that morning but I would bet any sum of money it rhymes with “Box News.” Certain news organizations simply puffy-heart love to emphasize how very stupid “other” people are; that’s why they have TV shows where they try to trap people into looking like asses when they can identify Snookie in a photo but not the Speaker of the House. 

If you look, you can see my own mind changed within this thread. I was doing it, too, at first. Someone said she has a GoFundMe and I seized on how annoying that is without verifying it or learning anything about it. I am a bit embarrassed that I answered that way at first, but I am not going to edit it because I think it’s important to see the change of mind. 

Honestly it was @Spy Car‘s post and remembering times when people did not condemn me for doing something foolish that started to change my mind, along with some posters pointing out that the facts may be different from how they have been framed. 

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, Quill said:

That is my point, Chris. Apparently, her suing Gorilla Glue was *possibly* MADE UP. It was possibly MADE UP by a tabloid as part of the Outrage Culture that drives clicks and viral stories. This story went viral because “we” (society) loves to run with someone being foolish on no verification and zero fact-checking. “We” just love to get all excited about someone getting lawyered up when they have a bad outcome from a foolish decision. 

When I first heard this story, it was because my boss (a lawyer) came into the firm, all agitated about “this stupid woman who is suing Gorilla Glue because she put it in her hair.” I don’t know which news outlets were sharing that story that morning but I would bet any sum of money it rhymes with “Box News.” Certain news organizations simply puffy-heart love to emphasize how very stupid “other” people are; that’s why they have TV shows where they try to trap people into looking like asses when they can identify Snookie in a photo but not the Speaker of the House. 

If you look, you can see my own mind changed within this thread. I was doing it, too, at first. Someone said she has a GoFundMe and I seized on how annoying that is without verifying it or learning anything about it. I am a bit embarrassed that I answered that way at first, but I am not going to edit it because I think it’s important to see the change of mind. 

Honestly it was @Spy Car‘s post and remembering times when people did not condemn me for doing something foolish that started to change my mind, along with some posters pointing out that the facts may be different from how they have been framed. 

To my mind there is a further disturbing aspect of this" culture of outrage" and that's the undeniable propensity to blow up stories that make black people, other people of color, and those who are somehow disadvantaged look ignorant, stupid, and objects of ridicule. And without any facts to back it up.

It all becomes a big pile on. And white folks somehow don't see (or want to see) the obvious racism at play. 

We need to wake up. This is 2021. The times they are a changin'.

Bill

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

21 minutes ago, Quill said:

When I first heard this story, it was because my boss (a lawyer) came into the firm, all agitated about “this stupid woman who is suing Gorilla Glue because she put it in her hair.” I don’t know which news outlets were sharing that story that morning but I would bet any sum of money it rhymes with “Box News.” Certain news organizations simply puffy-heart love to emphasize how very stupid “other” people are

Yup, you would win that bet. And, as expected, the comments about this story on that website are incredibly nasty and often blatantly racist. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Spryte said:

Sigh.  I feel old.  

Yup

6 hours ago, Spryte said:

It was a thing.  

Not that I ever tried it!  

Also raw egg?  Ewwww.

Yeah, the kid with the amazing foot tall hair in highschool used egg whites. Then painted the hair different colors. It was awesome. (and I accidentally grabbed his um, goods, once while walking past him, lol. So embarrassed! Was walking with arms swinging, palms forward, and just...cupped him. I'm still traumatized by embarrassment!)

• Haha 6

There is no evidence she was trying to sue. 

The go fund me was to pay for a trip to the ONLY person in the country willing to help get the stuff off her scalp. She was desperate. 

There is nothing to shame her about in that. 

And for using it? Heck, DH has twice almost dumped liquid egg product into his coffee this week, instead of half and half, because they are in a similar container. (even though the eggs have a picture of a chicken, and the carton is yellow, not white). Stuff happens. 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Spy Car said:

When I first heard this story I was reminded of my own hair disaster experience.

I was in my first year of college and living in an off-campus dorm at UCSB (Santa Barbara). A buddy (Marty) and I like to go spearfishing off Deveraux Pt in Isla Vista near where we lived. We did this pretty regularly.

Sorry to quote myself, but by happenstance I was working on a project and came across this old photo of myself in my dorm room taken about the time we got caught up in the oils slick. Off in the vague whiteness of the shot is the Pacific Ocean. Deveraux would have been off to the right (out of frame).

Somewhere in a box I have a photo of Marty and I in our wetsuits after spear-fishing (on a good day), but this one was at hand. I was sure I was going to need to chop off all this hair--not sure how it might have been been done given it was encased in tar. I can empathise with this woman.

Bill

dx9kikq.jpg

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Sorry to quote myself, but by happenstance I was working on a project and came across this old photo of myself in my dorm room taken about the time we got caught up in the oils slick. Off in the vague whiteness of the shot is the Pacific Ocean. Deveraux would have been off to the right (out of frame).

Somewhere in a box I have a photo of Marty and I in our wetsuits after spear-fishing (on a good day), but this one was at hand. I was sure I was going to need to chop off all this hair--not sure how it might have been been done given it was encased in tar. I can empathise with this woman.

Bill

dx9kikq.jpg

Gosh, so good-looking! Indeed it would have been tragic to lose that hair. 

PS: Love the macrame Spider Plant holder. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

There is no evidence she was trying to sue. 

The go fund me was to pay for a trip to the ONLY person in the country willing to help get the stuff off her scalp. She was desperate. 

There is nothing to shame her about in that. 

And for using it? Heck, DH has twice almost dumped liquid egg product into his coffee this week, instead of half and half, because they are in a similar container. (even though the eggs have a picture of a chicken, and the carton is yellow, not white). Stuff happens. 

Guess which of these two products I used to brush my teeth a couple of months ago?

Apparently I'm not the first man to be confused--as I found this photo just now on the internet.

Bill

image.png.1cac1d9785d33a46a9e7280d598229c8.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

34 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

To my mind there is a further disturbing aspect of this" culture of outrage" and that's the undeniable propensity to blow up stories that make black people, other people of color, and those who are somehow disadvantaged look ignorant, stupid, and objects of ridicule. And without any facts to back it up.

It all becomes a big pile on. And white folks somehow don't see (or want to see) the obvious racism at play. 

We need to wake up. This is 2021. The times they are a changin'.

Bill

You know? I gotta agree. I don’t think I am particularly sensitive to that form of racism, but I see it with this. I hear it in the way I was told, “Her name is ‘Tessica’...” Like, I don’t think we would be talking about it if it happened to a white chick named Amanda. 

I don’t know if anyone followed the link I put upthread about the hair product named “Treats,” but IMO, that packaging is an accident waiting to happen. Someone is going to ingest that hair conditioner because it seriously looks just like a pint of ice cream, is fruit “flavored” and says, “Treat” in a large font. Check it out. https://www.garnierusa.com/about-our-brands/fructis/fructis-treats

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Quill said:

Gosh, so good-looking! Indeed it would have been tragic to lose that hair. 

PS: Love the macrame Spider Plant holder. 

The macrame spider-plant holder belonged to my roommate John. He was a plant nut. I'm a little suspicious about the plant that's just to my right (the one catching the highlights). I'm not sure that's your standard houseplant. LOL.

The Beatles were mine.

Bill

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Guess which of these two products I used to brush my teeth a couple of months ago?

Apparently I'm not the first man to be confused--as I found this photo just now on the internet.

Bill

1 minute ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I can beat you @bill.  A couple months ago, I rubbed my toothbrush on my armpit like it was deodorant.  🤦🏻‍♀️

Mornings are the worst. Maybe we should all start our day later so we can be refreshed and notice subtle differences in product labels? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

As the sleep-deprived parent of a newborn, I once brushed my teeth with Desitin, which is incredibly difficult to get out of your teeth! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

The macrame spider-plant holder belonged to my roommate John. He was a plant nut. I'm a little suspicious about the plant that's just to my right (the one catching the highlights). I'm not sure that's your standard houseplant. LOL.

The Beatles were mine.

Bill

Hah, I noticed that plant right away, too! That whole room is totally in fashion right now, from the macrame and plants to the boho bedspread on the ceiling. I have very very similar photos of my own dorm room from the 70s (minus the medicinal house plant, lol).

11 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Hah, I noticed that plant right away, too! That whole room is totally in fashion right now, from the macrame and plants to the boho bedspread on the ceiling. I have very very similar photos of my own dorm room from the 70s (minus the medicinal house plant, lol).

I can take credit for the boho bedspread on the ceiling. I used fishing line to have it billow in segments.

Even LPs are having a comeback. Yet it is hard to convince the kiddo that daddy was once cool. LOL.

Bill

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Oh I’ve got one... don’t quote... my husband will kill me.

when he was a teen he went into his grandmother’s bathroom and used her hair spray.   He came out and they were wondering what they smelled.  He had actually sprayed FDS on his hair.  That’s feminine deodorant spray for y’all who arent familiar.  🤣🤣🤣

Believe it or not, my first thought on discovering I'd brushed with Cortizone 10 was thinking, "at least it wasn't Vagisil." LOL.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Dd laid on a friends bed at a sleepover and got toy bunchems stuck in her hair. It was awful. I wanted them off the market. I wrote the company but never heard back. We went through bottles of conditioner and broke a couple combs. The mom eventually tried clipping each tip of the plastic burr with fingernail clippers. It took hours.

eta: I just googled to check the spelling. This happened to dd about 4 years ago. Sadly, they are still being sold and there are more similar horror stories.

Edited by Acorn
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Says the gal who also once picked up a can of Lysol instead of Aqua-Net to keep that 80’s hair sticking up. Elmers would have worked so much better. 

Not a 'medicinal plant'.:laugh: According to a sign in the dorm of my friend's daughter...it's "the devil's lettuce" and must be used in the quad only.

1 hour ago, Quill said:

with “Box News.”  

Gee Quill - you were just asking why people are so incivil.  and their biases. . . 

I don't watch a network that "rhymes with box news" - or any other US national network for that matter but I saw this story - that she was going to sue - from this multiple sources, incl. local news - who are related to the big alphabets -  sites (just trying to get to the weather.)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

No, no please - don't let the 70s fashion sense come back.  Please - it was a ****HIDEOUS**** decades.  noooooooo

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

Almost did that with the prescription stuff used to burn off skin cancer. Was VERY glad I realized it at the last minute!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Gee Quill - you were just asking why people are so incivil.  and their biases. . . 

I don't watch a network that "rhymes with box news" - or any other US national network for that matter but I saw this story - that she was going to sue - from this multiple sources, incl. local news - who are related to the big alphabets -  sites (just trying to get to the weather.)

Sinclair, an ideological cousin, owns multiple local outlets including some with other alphabet combinations. I am aware of one such network in your metro area. I remember because I was surprised by their style of coverage given the alphabet letters attached to the network.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 6

50 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

One of my kids brushed their teeth with A and D ointment. They didn't even realize the problem when the paste was BROWN!

46 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

The Beatles were mine.

Bill

My 15 yo dd discovered the joy of macrame over quarantine. She made dozens of plant holders and they're all over my house.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

It's so weird how many white people have very strong opinions about what Black ladies do with their hair, and how vigorously those strong opinions are defended. 

Like, really, really weird. 

Also, there are more than a few stories in this here forum of people asking for help solving a self-inflicted problem. Other than poor Scarlett, who gets dragged on the regular, no one has their motivations questioned or gets attacked. 

That's weird, too. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, MissLemon said:

It's so weird how many white people have very strong opinions about what Black ladies do with their hair, and how vigorously those strong opinions are defended. 

Like, really, really weird. 

Also, there are more than a few stories in this here forum of people asking for help solving a self-inflicted problem. Other than poor Scarlett, who gets dragged on the regular, no one has their motivations questioned or gets attacked. 

That's weird, too. 

I once had a senior military spouse vehemently declare that the military’s ban on locs made sense because they are ‘unkempt’, ‘thick’ and ‘bulky’ compared to weaves, braids and Senegalese twists (which were allowed). The ban was only lifted two years ago. She was literally arguing with someone who has worn or maintained ALL. FOUR.STYLES about which is more difficult to self-manage and more cumbersome under a helmet. It was difficult to keep my temper in check. Diversity in leadership matters. The idea of her spouse making decisions about what is or is not workable for black women was............distressing. 

ETA: both my daughter and my cousin have loc'd their hair and neither has unkempt, thick or bulky hair. My DD's microlocs extend past her shoulders and routinely draw compliments from randos on the street. They allowed her to swim in chlorinated pools, ocean waters, shower and leave with a wet head in a way that many of her peers could not do. Still, the incessant tendency to comment (with authority!) on what black women should/should not and do/do not do with their hair has been so damaging to my DD that she wants to cut them off and start wearing wigs and weaves, something that is extremely damaging to fragile hairlines. My patience with commentary firmly based in ignorance has worn very, very thin.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 11

52 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

My expressed opinion of Box News is not incivility, nor is it bias. It is an opinion formed from years of having watched the channel daily. 

• Like 9

I find it a bit ironic that a thread about frivolous lawsuits and people abusing the legal system was, in fact, a bit premature in jumping to conclusions. A frivolous thread, perhaps? 

I don't think there is anyone she can really sue for the recent treatment of her (TMZ probably very carefully stated their facts/speculation, as did other outlets), but she has certainly been badly treated.

One of the common cases pointed to in my household growing up as proof of the frivolous litigious society we live in was the McDonald's coffee case. I will admit I parroted the line about someone being upset their coffee was hot. I have been cautious and ashamed ever since I learned the actual details of the case and use that as a reason to not rush to judgement in similar situations. Or if I do rush to judgement, not share it, at least.

---

I saw her video well before this thread and I did not feel judgement, or find it funny. She made a mistake, and then made a video owning up to it to try and keep others from doing to themselves.

It was a PSA, and if most people were half as helpful and honest about their own mistakes maybe we wouldn't feel so comfortable about calling others idiots and judging them so harshly for MISTAKES. Not malicious intent, not recklessness, but for temporary bad judgement and incorrect assessments. A MISTAKE.

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Sinclair, an ideological cousin, owns multiple local outlets including some with other alphabet combinations. I am aware of one such network in your metro area. I remember because I was surprised by their style of coverage given the alphabet letters attached to the network.

I saw it in multiple places, places with different owners.  I didn't read/listen the stories - I wasn't interested. but the headlines are there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Quill said:

I didn't get anything about this from either Fox news or so-called "tabloids" either.   And the way a newspaper is folded does not mean it is something disrespectful.  I find the NYT and its behavior towards its employees abhorent- firing the science editor because of when he was on some trip with students and one of them said the N word and he asked if she really said the N word and he was fired for using the N word when he was trying to prevent people from using it.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hippymamato3 said:

IF? This says a lot. 

I am not saying that Biden is not the President.  He has been sworn in and is the President.  Do I think there were lots of issues with the election that need to be adressed, yes.  But I certainly do not see how whether or not I think Biden, a white male, is the President (which I do) is some sort of sign of racism.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

That is exactly where I was seeing the story- not Fox news