Menu

Do grocery store employees secretly hate re-useable bags

LuvToRead

Today while I was checking out at the grocery store, the bagger complained about my re-usable grocery bags.  He said they were more trouble than they are worth.  On the way out to my car he started complaining again.  I told him he was being insulting and he said "I'm not saying you're a bad person" (or something like that)  I admit I was thrown off guard.  I have never had anyone complain.  If it helps, the re-usable grocery bags came from said store. 

So, do baggers actually hate them?  Am I being to sensitive because I took it personally?  I am going to continue using them, but I am curious.  Maybe I did something wrong?  Are there unwritten rules for using your own grocery bags?  FTR I always hand my bags to the bagger before I even start unloading my cart and they are the nice kind that stand up and stay square.  I have a couple of those cheap nylon/cloth type ones, but most are fairly sturdy.  This is a small town, locally owned grocery store that prides itself on customer service, hence having a checker and a bagger, and they take the groceries to your car.

• Confused 1

I've lost count of the number of cashiers that LOVE my grocery boxes.  this was, of course, a WTM recommendation.  I adore them.  

https://www.amazon.com/Earthwise-Collapsible-Reusable-Shopping-Reinforced/dp/B01D3OONDE/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=grocery+eco+boxes&qid=1611264574&sr=8-5

ETA:  We've only been allowed to go back to using them recently and I really missed them.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 8

Just now, KungFuPanda said:

I've lost count of the number of cashiers that LOVE my grocery boxes.  this was, of course, a WTM recommendation.  I adore them.  

https://www.amazon.com/Earthwise-Collapsible-Reusable-Shopping-Reinforced/dp/B01D3OONDE/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=grocery+eco+boxes&qid=1611264574&sr=8-5

\

I use those for organization in my chest freezer. I puffy heart love them.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

ETA:  We've only been allowed to go back to using them recently and I really missed them.

This is the last thing I need to see!!!  I love nice, sturdy grocery bags.  So much easier to carry, loads more nicely in my car.  I just don't see why anyone would complain. 

Mine are more like this:  https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Insulated-Grocery-Bag-2-pack/dp/B082RP7YBH/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=zip+top+grocery+bag+insulated&qid=1611265076&sr=8-6  Maybe they are annoying because of the zip top?  But not all of my zip.  And 2 are the super cheap floppy kind.

Edited by LuvToRead

Just now, AbcdeDooDah said:

My daughter is a bagger and yes, some hate them. Mostly because they usually smell. She refused a customer once, flat out telling her they smelled and she didn’t want to touch them.

I get that! I feel like I have done something wrong, but I don't know what.  My bags don't smell and I clean them occasionally.

5 minutes ago, LuvToRead said:

I get that! I feel like I have done something wrong, but I don't know what.  My bags don't smell and I clean them occasionally.

That’s more than most people do apparently. When they’re smell-able through a mask, that might be a signal it’s time to wash them. Lol I think mostly they are not as easy to load because they’re not on a  hanger like the plastic bags and not flat on the bottom like a paper bag. 

• Like 3

I think if the store doesn't have a good way to deal with the different sized bags it can be a problem for the cashier/bagger. Some fall over, some won't stay open, some don't fit on the turntable. 

I have a mishmash of bags, mainly freebies handed out places. 99% of them are the kind that stand up. They do have different sized bases though. I've only had one cashier complain, and she didn't really complain. She just handed me bags she didn't want to use with a muttered, "I don't like this one." or a "Nope, not going to use this one." I was so stunned that I just meekly took back the bags she rejected. Still don't know what her beef was. I did wash mine often when I used them (we can't use them now and anyway, I'm only getting Walmart pickup).

28 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Be still my heart, they come in cute colors and patterns 😍. I may or may not have just impulse-bought a floral set. 

• Like 2

Just now, historically accurate said:

I think if the store doesn't have a good way to deal with the different sized bags it can be a problem for the cashier/bagger. Some fall over, some won't stay open, some don't fit on the turntable. 

I have a mishmash of bags, mainly freebies handed out places. 99% of them are the kind that stand up. They do have different sized bases though. I've only had one cashier complain, and she didn't really complain. She just handed me bags she didn't want to use with a muttered, "I don't like this one." or a "Nope, not going to use this one." I was so stunned that I just meekly took back the bags she rejected. Still don't know what her beef was. I did wash mine often when I used them (we can't use them now and anyway, I'm only getting Walmart pickup).

This is how I felt!  I felt like I did something offensive.  But I purchased my bags from that same store so I thought they had figured out how to deal with them.  No turnable, just a flat area to load bags.  Most of mine stay open and upright.

• Like 2

Just now, LuvToRead said:

This is how I felt!  I felt like I did something offensive.  But I purchased my bags from that same store so I thought they had figured out how to deal with them.  No turnable, just a flat area to load bags.  Most of mine stay open and upright.

IMO if you're using bags that store sells the bagger shouldn't have complained. I myself am very much not a complainer, but I'd be tempted to talk to the manager about that.

• Like 7

When I brought my own reusable bags, I asked to bag my own stuff. I do not like how cashiers load them. I put some heavy stuff on the bottom & lighter items on top to use the whole bag.

There is still a sign up in our small town grocery store to not use them (Covid) although I've seen people bring them in lately. I have not seen any cleaning or sanitizing between customers at any store in six months or more.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

IMO if you're using bags that store sells the bagger shouldn't have complained. I myself am very much not a complainer, but I'd be tempted to talk to the manager about that.

I think I may if it happens again. 

I just remembered - I also carry with me mesh produce bags. I tuck them all in a bigger bag, use what I need, keeping the remainder tucked in a larger bag.  He actually used these to put groceries in (they are literally big enough for a pound of apples or  head of cabbage.  Maybe that is what he was complaining about.  I did tell him those were for produce, not groceries, but then he said he had to use them or my bread would have gotten smashed???  Most of the time the person bagging my groceries ignores these, which is fine. 

• Confused 1

I've been complimented on my bags before.  I was told it was because they were sturdy and folded properly and given to the cashier in a neat pile.  I can't imagine having to deal with the crazy mixed up messes some people have.

ETA: Until covid, our town required that we use them.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Plateau Mama said:

Every bagger I have ever talked to dislikes them.  They don't like that there is no uniformity and it slows them down bc they can't really have a system has to how things will fit etc.

This makes a lot of sense and it's something I have never thought of.  This isn't a super busy grocery store and when there is more than 2 people in line, they open a new register.   But I can still see how it would be annoying.

7 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

When I brought my own reusable bags, I asked to bag my own stuff. I do not like how cashiers load them. I put some heavy stuff on the bottom & lighter items on top to use the whole bag.

There is still a sign up in our small town grocery store to not use them (Covid) although I've seen people bring them in lately. I have not seen any cleaning or sanitizing between customers at any store in six months or more.

This grocery store wiped down the conveyor belt and bagging area regularly pre-covid.  Sometimes I bag my own stuff too. 

Around here you have to bag your own if using reusable bags (due to Covid).  

Sounds like he was pretty rude about it.  How much difference in time can it really be?  Unless it's an extremely busy time with huge lines, I can't see it making that much difference.   I'd probably complain if it happened again.  Once, maybe having a bad day, twice he needs to be reminded about customer service. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

Sounds like he was pretty rude about it.  How much difference in time can it really be?  Unless it's an extremely busy time with huge lines, I can't see it making that much difference.   I'd probably complain if it happened again.  Once, maybe having a bad day, twice he needs to be reminded about customer service. 

I know when I worked at Target during my college years, they kept track of how fast we were on the register. This was before the era of reusable bags, but I could see how a bit of a slow-down with each customer could add up quickly, and that could get stressful if register productivity is tied to job performance reviews. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

Here too - and I kind of prefer bagging my own anyway. I get so sick of every heavy thing thrown in one bag and cans and bread in another. Rudeness is never ok though!! I'd be tempted to complain too.

• Like 1

I asked my dd that works in a grocery and she said she loves that people care about the environment and will happily use their reusable bags....unless they are gross. She said some of the baggers don't like them because they slow the baggers down and can be unwieldy.

• Like 1

I found that once there was a tax here and everyone was using them, baggers and cashiers got used to them and got much less resentful of them. When something seems like an exception, then people get picky around it sometimes. When it's the norm, even if it's a little harder, then it just becomes the norm. No need to have feelings about it for most people.

We're also on bag it yourself if you bring your own. So currently I bring my own for small errands and don't for big ones. I just pay the tax.

• Like 5

Yeah, it probably does slow down the bagger job, but as long as they are easy to use, and/or come from the store you’re patronizing, I’d probably push back with complaints from staff.    I do feel bad for cashiers at places like Walmart where they track items scanned per hour and harass cashiers who aren’t getting high numbers. If a customer brings their own bags, ones that don’t stand up, it definitely slows the cashier down, but that’s Walmart’s fault for not providing a good place for cashiers to use customer supplied bags. 
I noticed last week that Publix is back to being happy to use customer supplied bags. I don’t know if that’s a recent change, but I was surprised to see the signs. I’ve gotten used to not being able to use mine but look forward to getting back in the habit. 

16 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

I know when I worked at Target during my college years, they kept track of how fast we were on the register. This was before the era of reusable bags, but I could see how a bit of a slow-down with each customer could add up quickly, and that could get stressful if register productivity is tied to job performance reviews. 

2 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Yeah, it probably does slow down the bagger job, but as long as they are easy to use, and/or come from the store you’re patronizing, I’d probably push back with complaints from staff.    I do feel bad for cashiers at places like Walmart where they track items scanned per hour and harass cashiers who aren’t getting high numbers. If a customer brings their own bags, ones that don’t stand up, it definitely slows the cashier down, but that’s Walmart’s fault for not providing a good place for cashiers to use customer supplied bags. 
I noticed last week that Publix is back to being happy to use customer supplied bags. I don’t know if that’s a recent change, but I was surprised to see the signs. I’ve gotten used to not being able to use mine but look forward to getting back in the habit. 

I can guarantee this is not the case.  Small town, small store.    If there are more than 2 people in line, they open a new register.  You know they are busy when they are 3 people in line 😆 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, LuvToRead said:

If the store doesn't have a good way to handle reusable bags, then the workers need to take that up with their bosses and come up with a solution. The answer isn't for workers to gripe at the customers. 

I don't agree that what the bagger said to you was insulting. They weren't saying anything negative about you.  They certainly were rude, however. 

• Like 1

Our stores will allow you to use them, but you have to bag yourself due to Covid. To be honest I prefer it this way, as I don't care for how things are bagged.  Please DO NOT put raw meat with my vegetables!  Please don't put canned goods with my squishables.   I put my items on the conveyor belt in an order in which I feel like they should be bagged or grouped together, but our stores' baggers seem to want to fill the bags at a certain fullness and weight.  Therefore, things get grouped together in what best "fits" vs. what things should be bagged together.

• Like 2

NJ just approved a very restrictive and ridiculous bag ban.  I find it odd given that we are still in a pandemic and in a state with high restrictions/mask mandates/ cleanliness mandates / etc.  It is for all single use bags, paper and plastic.  I don't know what they will do for grocery shopping from home because you can't bring your own bags for that.  So basically I think we will just end up paying for them each time. And I don't know what they will do for take-out food.  To be clear, I'm not opposed to reusable bags, I'm just baffled by some of the current logistics. 

• Like 2

I like to use those stylish blue IKEA bags.  So I often used to (pre-Covid) ask that my stuff just be put back in the basket, and then I’d wheel it outside and sort it into 2-3 bags—freezer/meat, delicate fridge/soft bread, and other.  It was so great to get home and know for sure which bag to bring in and stash first and which one could sit out in the car all night if necessary.

But a lot of stores are not allowed to use customer bags these days, and I don’t really want to handle everything right after the cashier did ATM, so now I take the store bags.  I think they are charging for them again now, which for a while during Covid they were not.

• Like 3

My DD was a bagger for almost a year.  She only hated the ones that stank or where filthy, which happened often.  She would have never complained to the customer, and was not allowed to refuse their bags.  She also hated that she had no way to wash her hands after handling the dirty bags.  Right now due to the pandemic we can't use reusable bags, so not an issue.

Reusable bags do slow things down and make it harder for them to keep up efficiently, which does count against them with the management.  Complaining about anything to management or if customers complain about you could lose your job.

• Like 1

I think part of it is area specific. In our area, reusable bags are so common (you have to pay to get a bag from the store), that cashiers are used to them. Obviously, no cashier wants a dirty or stinky bag, or ones that are hard to manage, but a cashier/bagger would never comment on them. 

A year or two ago, we were in San Antonio. My daughter gave the cashier her reusable bag, and the cashier had no idea what to do with it. She ended up putting the groceries into a plastic bag and then put the plastic bag into the reusable bag. We didn't correct her, we just stood there and watched in amazement. LOL 🤣🤣🤣🤣

People really should wash thier bags. They can get gross!! After many years in retail, it amazes me how dirty some purses are too. It makes me wonder how filthy people's homes are, if they are using dirty bags and purses. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think it's more an issue of familiarity - when they're more used to them, they're, well, more used to them.

Though for me, it's only in the past year that I've had any cashiers* outside of Trader Joe's willing to use my bags. Previously, if I wasn't using their bags, I had to bag my own - often after rushing down to the end of the lane going "I HAVE MY OWN BAG! DON'T WORRY!" before they could forget and start bagging into plastic. Now that they charge for bags (and no more plastic) they're a lot less likely to forget!

Not that I get to the grocery store much nowadays. It's all delivery. Every time, a bag charge. Boo. I like the convenience, but I'd rather not have to pay to have their bags clutter up my house.

Oh - and yes, please, wash your bags! Just get nylon bags and toss them in your laundry every week.

* I do not typically see baggers in NYC supermarkets except during the holiday rush. Cashiers do the bagging. Or the customer does. Lanes are usually set up in grocery stores so you can do your own bagging.

• Like 1

I'm surprised they're letting you use them. Our stores that had been saying they were going to go reusable only to save the world have had signs up since covid started saying you CANNOT bring in reusable bags. And our Trader Joes, which is always so into the reusable, went from paper (which seems more planet friendly to me) to these really snazzy plastic (not reusable) bags. Blows my mind.

So covid trumps environment I guess, lol. I'm just surprised they're letting you bring them. And yes, if you're ahead of me and the lady with 18 of these stupid teeny tiny reusable bags that hold almost nothing, you're getting curses and glares from behind, not only in front. People must have larger ones or something. When I've seen people bring them they're stupid small and a PAIN, slowing down everything.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

NJ just approved a very restrictive and ridiculous bag ban.  I find it odd given that we are still in a pandemic and in a state with high restrictions/mask mandates/ cleanliness mandates / etc.  It is for all single use bags, paper and plastic.  I don't know what they will do for grocery shopping from home because you can't bring your own bags for that.  So basically I think we will just end up paying for them each time. And I don't know what they will do for take-out food.  To be clear, I'm not opposed to reusable bags, I'm just baffled by some of the current logistics. 

When we get grocery deliveries without bags, big plastic baskets of goods are stacked on my doorstep.  The delivery person steps back and I stand inside the house unloading the groceries into my own bags.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanaqui said:

Are reusable bags really a vector for COVID, though? I mean, reusable clothes aren't, and god knows lots of people aren't rewashing their masks between uses....

That's what I would have thought. But they've got signs up and are really adamant about it. Usually in Trader Joes people will have these nice big reusable bags (unlike Kroger with people using stupid small bags), but nope none of that. Just destroy the environment while we all die from Covid.

• Like 1

They are mandatory where we live (there are reusable bags available but you pay 20c each). I don’t have any cash register experience but I think they do dislike them somewhat.  I know mine often look a bit mucky because they go in the back of a car that also transports chicken food, kids bikes, etc etc and that doesn’t get vacuumed enough.  They aren’t very washable so it’s hard to get them back to pristine.   I also think it would be annoying to pack because they’re not always the same and they aren’t the right size to hook onto the handles to hold the bags open and the new ones are quite rigid but the older ones go floppy over time.  Plus you never know if a client left a loose grape or something in last time or if the cat sleeps on them or something crazy.

• Like 1

OP, I would let it roll off you, no matter the bagger’s issues. 

Currently, we have to bag our own due to COVID, but some of the places I shop also charge for plastic bags, and so I’m bringing my own bags no matter what. I would despise plastic bags even if they were not terrible for the environment and flying around getting caught in trees; they are floppy and don’t hold enough groceries. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

When we get grocery deliveries without bags, big plastic baskets of goods are stacked on my doorstep.  The delivery person steps back and I stand inside the house unloading the groceries into my own bags.

Interesting! I always do pickup and they load them into the back of my car. If they will be willing to load them without bags or into my own bags, I will have no issue with it. I just don’t want to have to pay for bags now every time with no other option. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I know mine often look a bit mucky because they go in the back of a car that also transports chicken food, kids bikes, etc etc and that doesn’t get vacuumed enough.  They aren’t very washable so it’s hard to get them back to pristine.   I also think it would be annoying to pack because they’re not always the same and they aren’t the right size to hook onto the handles to hold the bags open and the new ones are quite rigid but the older ones go floppy over time.  Plus you never know if a client left a loose grape or something in last time or if the cat sleeps on them or something crazy.

TBH, this would gross me out. It really puts the workers in unsanitary conditions to require them to handle a customer’s dirty reusable bags. And then they are going to handle the next customer’s groceries. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

TBH, this would gross me out. It really puts the workers in unsanitary conditions to require them to handle a customer’s dirty reusable bags. And then they are going to handle the next customer’s groceries. 

I bought some second hand books once and the guy packed them all into reusable shopping bags.  When I got them in the car there was a really damp smell and it was kind of gross.  I thought it was the books but it was actually the shopping bags.  🤢

Ftr mine are generally sanitary as they get surface wiped or hand washed if anything spills.  It’s just that the surface is kind of porous and gets a bit of a dingy look after a while that doesn’t seem to wash clean.  When they get too gross they get chucked but that kind of defeats the purpose of course.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I'm surprised they're letting you use them. Our stores that had been saying they were going to go reusable only to save the world have had signs up since covid started saying you CANNOT bring in reusable bags. And our Trader Joes, which is always so into the reusable, went from paper (which seems more planet friendly to me) to these really snazzy plastic (not reusable) bags. Blows my mind.

So covid trumps environment I guess, lol. I'm just surprised they're letting you bring them. And yes, if you're ahead of me and the lady with 18 of these stupid teeny tiny reusable bags that hold almost nothing, you're getting curses and glares from behind, not only in front. People must have larger ones or something. When I've seen people bring them they're stupid small and a PAIN, slowing down everything.

Those snazzy plastic bags are actually reusable. Ours has a sign up saying they’re reusable for x number of times. I forget the number, but they definitely wanted us to know they are reusable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kristin0713 said:

Interesting! I always do pickup and they load them into the back of my car. If they will be willing to load them without bags or into my own bags, I will have no issue with it. I just don’t want to have to pay for bags now every time with no other option. 

For click and collect the system is similar: big plastic trays from which you pack your own bags.  People in the UK mostly pack their own bags in supermarkets anyway.

• Like 3