Menu

would you buy extras of a towel you like that was being discontinued?

caedmyn

My bath towels are all quick dry ones from JCP.  I spent quite a while looking at different towels when we moved into our new house 2 years ago and settled on these because they feel nice, dry quickly, and reviews didn’t mention much of any pilling.  I really like them, but JCP is discontinuing them.  I’m seriously considering buying enough for each of our three bathrooms to replace the ones we currently have once they start wearing out.  Would this be silly?  I do lean toward minimalism, but we have plenty of storage space and I could just pack them away in a tub until we need them.  It’d be about $100 total to buy replacement bath and hand towels for the three bathrooms.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

there's no need to act with a scarcity mindset and buy them "just in case" now. 

I have a terrible time with the "scarcity mindset" and would definitely buy and store them.  DH is the same way.  Our house is absolutely stuffed.  😞

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, caedmyn said:

I’m seriously considering buying enough for each of our three bathrooms to replace the ones we currently have once they start wearing out.  Would this be silly?  I do lean toward minimalism, but we have plenty of storage space and I could just pack them away in a tub until we need them.  It’d be about $100 total to buy replacement bath and hand towels for the three bathrooms.

Are they also on sale? That sounds like a good price for that many towels!

I would buy them, but I would also put them into circulation now, and not as replacements, though I might set aside a couple for company if they are a color that shows dirt. It's always nice to have a decent towel or two that is always clean and ready to put out if someone is coming over.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Yes, it takes me too long to pick out something I really like than to hardwire needing to do it again into my life for lack of spending $100 that I currently have and space that I currently have.  There is a sunk cost to finding something that is perfect, and that deserves consideration.

This! My DH always discourages me from wasting time looking for things that I already have done the research on. He keeps reminding me that my energy and time are valuable and to spend it on other stuff if I already know what I like. So, I will buy them, in your shoes. If you have space and the $100 to spare, go for it.

• Like 7

If they were good towels, and they held up well to washing/drying, and if everyone in the family liked them, and they were a good price, I would definitely buy more! It's hard to find good towels that don't pick/run in the washer/dryer or unravel at the edges. 

• Like 1

I would definitely buy them. I’m picky with towels and sheets and would want to stock up on something I liked if it was being discontinued. Likewise, I’ve already decided that the next sheets I buy that I really love, I’ll immediately buy another set. Lesson learned on that.

I have a JCP gift card that's been kicking around for years because I can never find what I want. Meanwhile all my towels have holes in them. *smacks forehead* It's almost too genius!

If you're going to buy yours, buy them soon. Or, not in white, lol. They may be gone soon.... 😉 

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 1

Well I've bought my mother those towels and know what you mean about people really liking them! You're saying your current ones are pretty new and you'd literally be storing these? No way, I would not. 

The reason I would not is by the time these wear out (3 years?) you'll have found new towels you like. Maybe not, but odds are you will. Kohls has a similar product that is sort of low nap, easy to wash/dry, makes great hand towels. Besides, you haven't used these towels long enough to know how they last over the long term. I have bought them for my mother, but I don't think they last in the long run especially well. It may be how she washes, but it's just me. So I think you'll find something else you like later and you shouldn't store towels 3+ years. 

Now if you were saying you were going to shove the towels you have into one bath and buy these for another bath, that would be fine. Or better yet, why not buy some really nice *master bath* towels for yourself? Not everything should be so utilitarian, mercy. Let that $100 go to buying YOU some really luscious towels you'll enjoy! Leave the thinner, easier towels for everyone else. You're worth it! :smile:

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4569318/sonoma-goods-for-life-ultimate-performance-hygro-paisley-towel.jsp?color=Blue&prdPV=5  These are the towels from Kohls. They're the same idea, but I think they last a bit better. You really don't need to buy ahead, honest.

Edited by PeterPan

I’m very much a minimalist, but I do buy multiples of things I fear will be discontinued, especially shoes. I have very few pairs of shoes, but when I find one I like that fits and is comfortable, I buy multiples and store them. Every time I haven’t done this for a particular item (not just shoes), I’ve always regretted it later. I hate to shop, so finding something I like and sticking with it makes life far easier.

So I vote yes, do it. 

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

If they are going to be in a cupboard that you use all the time, and while they are not in the way....you will have to work around them? Then No. I wouldn't buy them. 

If you have an attic, or seldom used cupboard that they can live in (and the money isn't an issue), sure.  Just one less thing to shop for later and you know you will eventually use them. 

I have given my daughter and my son lots of home items that were bought and not used for various reasons. They were ecstatic to get nice quality, home goods that they didn't have to pay for when moving out. So, to me, the worst case scenario, is that if you don't use them, when your kids leave home, they will have a bonus gift. Haha

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, katilac said:

3 years? When you come to my house, you're probably using towels that are in their tweens 😄

Haha, I only JUST started replacing towels and I've been married 22 ½ years! LOL 

But you see that's my whole point. If they don't last, why buy them again? And if they do last, why hold them that long? 

My mother's JCP towels that were the type she's describing didn't last very well. I think she can consider that *might* be a reason they're being discontinued. It could have been how my mother washes things, dunno. She has this really old school top load, rotating kind of washer and city water. She uses a new towel every day. Her towels go from new to rags in just a few years. But I imagine however many towels op has, she's going through them washing them quite a bit with so many people. 

Has op looked at towels at Target? I got some there for my ds, because they hit that blend of price point and survives boyish exploits. I first tried them making hooded towels. If she doesn't want major commitment, it's a really nice way to try a few. You just buy a wash cloth and bath towel and sew them to make a hooded towel. That way if you don't like them, you haven't bought a ton. 

Edited by PeterPan

I wouldn't do it for towels because we use towels for years and I am not too picky about towels.  I do wish I had done so with some sheets, however.  After years of looking for sheets that I liked, I finally found some that we love, and now I can't find more like them.  So, if it were something that I think I would use new ones within a couple of years and I was much more happier with them than any I ever had before, I would go ahead and get a replacement set.

• Like 1

Since you know you like them and will use them in the future, and also know that you will not be able to buy them in the future, and have the $ and space for them right now, yeah, I'd buy them. That is not scarcity mindset.  I think that is smart planning ahead. Sure, there will be other towels. But you know you like these towels.

Now if you had to scrape up the money to buy them, or had to store them in an inconvenient place - or worse, paid to store them as in a storage unit - yeah then I'd suggest backing away from the towels. 

• Like 3

I'd get a few but go ahead and plug them into the rotation -- I'd not store them. Our towels were wedding gifts in 2000 and they're starting to look a bit worse for the wear...but still perfectly serviceable. I can't see storing towels for a couple? 5? 10 years? until you need replace your current towels. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

JCP used to sell a bath mat (like a towel, but really thick) and I puffy heart it. I can't find anything like it anywhere else.  They stopped selling it and I am sad now that I didn't buy more. It sounds pathetic, but yes, if I really loved a towel, I would.

I have one like this and I don't think I got it from JCP. Did you try Kohls? https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4430109/sonoma-goods-for-life-cotton-reversible-solid-border-bath-rug.jsp?color=Gray&prdPV=1  Here's an example. 

13 hours ago, Frances said:

I’m very much a minimalist, but I do buy multiples of things I fear will be discontinued, especially shoes. I have very few pairs of shoes, but when I find one I like that fits and is comfortable, I buy multiples and store them. Every time I haven’t done this for a particular item (not just shoes), I’ve always regretted it later. I hate to shop, so finding something I like and sticking with it makes life far easier.

So I vote yes, do it. 

Ha, this takes me back.

I had to figure out how to wear flat shoes with my business suits and still look reasonably professional, and I discovered Amalfi Hectors.  I wore them pretty much exclusively as work shoes for years.  The Nordstrom shoe guys would call me whenever they went on sale and I would tell them what colors I wanted and they would set them aside for me.  I also bought ahead a bit.  It was a sad, sad day when I took out that last pair that I would ever have, and knew I would have to embark on a shoe-that-will-work-for-me expedition sooner rather than later, LOL.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bootsie said:

I wouldn't do it for towels because we use towels for years and I am not too picky about towels.  I do wish I had done so with some sheets, however.  After years of looking for sheets that I liked, I finally found some that we love, and now I can't find more like them.  So, if it were something that I think I would use new ones within a couple of years and I was much more happier with them than any I ever had before, I would go ahead and get a replacement set.

I went back to BBB to do this and to my horror my dream sheets were discontinued and I could only buy the little bits that remained in stock.  I snapped them up, but it was not great to know that that was IT.

However, about a year and a half ago I discovered American Blossom Linens, and ordered a set of their naturally colored cotton sheets, and am delighted with them.  So that’s going to be my go to as long as they are around.  They don’t sell a big variety, being as they have an organic focus, so I figure they will have the same ones for a very long time.  Hope so!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Ha, this takes me back.

I had to figure out how to wear flat shoes with my business suits and still look reasonably professional, and I discovered Amalfi Hectors.  I wore them pretty much exclusively as work shoes for years.  The Nordstrom shoe guys would call me whenever they went on sale and I would tell them what colors I wanted and they would set them aside for me.  I also bought ahead a bit.  It was a sad, sad day when I took out that last pair that I would ever have, and knew I would have to embark on a shoe-that-will-work-for-me expedition sooner rather than later, LOL.

Oh my, your post took me back! Mine dream Amalfis were Monicas. They were a simple medium/high-heeled pump that I wore to work in the 90s. I had several pairs and had them resoled/reheeled as needed as well as owning multiple pairs. Then I stopped working to have babies and imagine my horror when I found that the shoes no longer fit! And the shoes had been discontinued by then as well. 

Edited by marbel
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, marbel said:

Oh my, your post took me back! Mine dream Amalfis were Monicas. They were a simple medium/high-heeled pump that I wore to work in the 90s. I had several pairs and had them resoled/reheeled as needed as well as owning multiple pairs. Then I stopped working to have babies and imagine my horror when I found that the shoes no longer fit! And the shoes had been discontinued by then as well. 

I had Monicas, too!  Once I had to start wearing flats, I kept them at work to change into for really big presentations.  Black, of course!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

I have one like this and I don't think I got it from JCP. Did you try Kohls? https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4430109/sonoma-goods-for-life-cotton-reversible-solid-border-bath-rug.jsp?color=Gray&prdPV=1  Here's an example. 

Mine is not a rug, but a very thick towel. I forget what they call them.  I guess a bath mat?  Like this sort of: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/88721?csp=s&feat=506598-ecdmotd#review-jump

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, marbel said:

. Then I stopped working to have babies and imagine my horror when I found that the shoes no longer fit! And the shoes had been discontinued by then as well. 

If it’s a size issue, those wooden or metal shoe expanders/stretchers work. 
I have plenty of shoes because my husband is worried the kinds that are comfortable for me would be discontinued or unavailable in my size. I wore mainly formal booties when I was working though since computer server rooms were cold. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Mine is not a rug, but a very thick towel. I forget what they call them.  I guess a bath mat?  Like this sort of: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/88721?csp=s&feat=506598-ecdmotd#review-jump

Yup, that's what I have, but mine came from Kohls a few years ago. I got it when I got Vera Wang towels for the master bath. I rotate between that and the latex backed rug from Target because my dog sleeps on them in my bath and they need to be washed.

But you're kind of making my point. There's always something more. And if there's not, it has gone out of style or newer things have come around or your own taste has changed. I've bought ahead on shoes and this and that. Sometimes I win and sometimes I don't. I just think on towels I wouldn't.

Edited by PeterPan

20 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

We tend to buy towels in white, easier to bleach. Else I would tend to pick yellow because it’s chirpy and neutral. 

Do you have a really adored white towel? I always dream of the perfect white towel. Sometimes when I travel (cruise or hotel) I'll think I've found one. Then I think maybe it's just the fact that I'm traveling and everything is more novel.

I'm really keen on *grey* hand towels lately. They're neutral, can mix and match (darks, lights, solids, prints), and they don't show dirt/stains so much. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Do you have a really adored white towel?

My favorite was a freebie beach towel from Citibank. My kids like the white bath towels that YMCA front desk has for people to use. 

Hotels do sell their towels nowadays if guests want to keep one instead of hotel towels disappearing with guests.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Do you have a really adored white towel? I always dream of the perfect white towel. Sometimes when I travel (cruise or hotel) I'll think I've found one. Then I think maybe it's just the fact that I'm traveling and everything is more novel.

I'm really keen on *grey* hand towels lately. They're neutral, can mix and match (darks, lights, solids, prints), and they don't show dirt/stains so much. 

I like the champagne colored towels from Costco.  They last a long time, and they come in hand towels, bath towels, bath sheets, and wash cloths.  SOMETIMES they have bath mats also.  They do fade a little lighter over time, so I generally try to keep my vintages washed together.  

I have had really bad experiences with gray towels from Macy's.  I found that they faded to different colors, pinkish for some, greenish for others, even though they matched when we bought them.  They looked terrible once that happened.  I never bought a dark color like that again.

• Like 2