Menu

What gift is causing the most excitement in your house?

Drama Llama

I found the Tums for my husband, whose stomach has been bothering him since a large intake of spaghetti with sausage.  I would have to say that that Tums bottle location (right where it always is, of course, but where he could not see it, also of course...) has been the most valued gift so far and is anticipated to remain the leader in that category.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

18 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I found the Tums for my husband, whose stomach has been bothering him since a large intake of spaghetti with sausage.  I would have to say that that Tums bottle location (right where it always is, of course, but where he could not see it, also of course...) has been the most valued gift so far and is anticipated to remain the leader in that category.

OMG I do the same thing!  I hide things in the same place over and over again, and then make them invisible with my super powers.  It's got to be so frustrating for our poor suffering husbands.  Maybe they could form an online support group?  

• Like 4
  • Haha 16

56 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

OMG I do the same thing!  I hide things in the same place over and over again, and then make them invisible with my super powers.  It's got to be so frustrating for our poor suffering husbands.  Maybe they could form an online support group?  

I can think of several great names for such a group.

1.  The Anti-UTD* Club

2.  The How Does She Do That Club

3.  The It’s Working, Never Tell Club

*Uterine Tracking Device

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

DH is very excited about a certain gift. He says I’ll never guess it, not in a million years.

Every single time he says that, I say the first thing that pops into my head. Every single time, I guess it, whether wanting said object has ever crossed my mind or not. Every single time, DH is crushed.

This time, I really have no idea, but I’m letting him think that I guessed already and got it and he’s just forgotten that happening. He’s so confused, and has no idea whether I know what it is or not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

20 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Well, we don't open til tomorrow, but Ds was very excited about the big, whopper, giant Lego set he ordered today with gift cards/money from extended family. 

We knew this would happen, so we did not get him any Lego! 😉

When do boys who love Lego outgrow it?

In answer to the bold, the gift DH & I are most excited about giving this year is.......Lego pieces for our 23 yr old, LOL!!! 

He's recently been creating various Steampunk themed Lego creations (of his own design), and DH tracked down assorted mini-figure pieces that are Steampunk themed, and ordered several from various places. So, this tiny little baggie, placed in a smallish box, with about $35 worth of mini-fig parts, that will look like mostly nothing.....but will be much appreciated by the still-Lego-loving 23 yr old.....is what we can't wait to see them open tomorrow. 

(along with, we *think* we scored a full set of all 15 or 16 of the current series of mystery min-figs; this is the boys' traditional stocking stuffer, and this year we couldn't find them anywhere, but DH found a guy online who claims he opens them, sorts them into full sets, then reseals them.....we'll see) (last year we bought GOBS and sorted on our own, through the package, and returned the extras....but this year no one had any).

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

also exciting gifts: 
...I made and already gave memory quilt/wall-hangings to my extended family, that were a big hit, and I love love love being able to give things like that
...my stepmom massively helped my oldest son w/math tutoring, for free, and so DH said we could go big on her gift, so I got her a quilt kit/class enrollment that I *think* she'll love (I hope); as we never know what to get her, I'm hoping we hit on something good with this one at least
....same stepmom sent oldest DS a framed animation cell; I don't know which one (it came wrapped), but she was asking his favorite cartoon (Tom & Jerry), so.....??? but it's crazy-thoughtful, and he has no idea (he's studying animation at the moment), and Dh & I are beyond excited to see it
...I *finally* came up with something that will actually surprise DH, which is crazy hard, so I'm excited to give that to him. It's small (a CD he didn't know was coming out), but still, he'll actually be surprised, so that's good. And I wrote a (semi-cheesy, but he likes that) poem to go with it. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MercyA said:

A custom made Midna doll (from Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess). Shh...... 🙂 

Please share a picture of it if you can! My oldest in particular would love to see that. 

Right now the greatest excitement is from DD#2 and DS, because there are two gifts with both their names. They have no idea what's in them, but man, are they curious! 😄 (It's swords and shields - they each requested both items, and I found a set of two swords and a set of two shields. It was easier to wrap them in the boxes they came in, hence the use of both their names on each gift.)

• Like 3

Obama is super excited about his Yeoww catnip Pollock fish.  He hasn't found the wrapped gift, but he's found the packaging it arrived in.  

It arrived when he was outdoors, and apparently it's potent enough he could smell it from outside, through exterior doors, because when I opened it, he immediately showed up, wanting to be let in and chirping.  

Edit:  It's so potent that youngest child, across the room, was like, "Wow!  That's some strong catnip!"

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

Last year we got my husband a Komodo grill.   We can't top that this year, but he is getting a composter for outside.....a huge one.   He has been wanting one.   This was spins to accelerate composting (they say anyway).

My boys got me a really nice necklace with all of their birthstones on it.   It isn't coming until Jan but I am really excited about it.   It will include our soon-to-be-ours son's birthstone on it as well.

• Like 9

22 hours ago, purpleowl said:

Please share a picture of it if you can! My oldest in particular would love to see that. 

Here's a photo of her Zelda collection, with Midna on the right! (Please don't quote photo; will delete later.) We had a wonderful Christmas and hope everyone else did as well! 🎄

Collection.JPG

• Like 9

My 15 yo got a suture kit - she's been cutting silicone "skin" and stitching it for hours now. Youngest got nebula-themed bedding which she loves. Oldest doesn't seem enthused with anything really. DH apparently really likes his new gloves because he made everyone feel them multiple times LOL. 

Edit: Cutest gift I got was 2020 in a box: the Uno Flip game (because there is a dark side to 2020), a roll of toilet paper (always important), and some lotto tickets (to give me hope for 2021). 

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 8

Y'all!!!! My oldest son, the one who was doing so very badly from Thanskgiving-January/March (hospitalized in January in a mental health crisis situation of sorts), BUILT ME a present!!! 

When he was sick/not doing well, we were *delighted* that he was able to help us paint a group project, with us directing him step-by-step (use this color paint, on this board). 

Now, he went to DH and said he wanted to make me something. Asked for ideas. Picked one. DH coached him a little on construction technique (just because really DS hasn't built a lot of stuff). But DS built it, sanded it to perfection (he made an extension table/table top that sits on top of my ironing board, so I can press large pieces of fabric for quilting) -- it is smooth as glass. Rounded the corners, with the sander. To perfection. It's stunning. The detail, time, attention......the "wow, how far he's come" of it.....aside from the gift itself being amazing, but.....wow. I was/am blown away. ❤️ 

• Like 41
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, TheReader said:

Y'all!!!! My oldest son, the one who was doing so very badly from Thanskgiving-January/March (hospitalized in January in a mental health crisis situation of sorts), BUILT ME a present!!! 

When he was sick/not doing well, we were *delighted* that he was able to help us paint a group project, with us directing him step-by-step (use this color paint, on this board). 

Now, he went to DH and said he wanted to make me something. Asked for ideas. Picked one. DH coached him a little on construction technique (just because really DS hasn't built a lot of stuff). But DS built it, sanded it to perfection (he made an extension table/table top that sits on top of my ironing board, so I can press large pieces of fabric for quilting) -- it is smooth as glass. Rounded the corners, with the sander. To perfection. It's stunning. The detail, time, attention......the "wow, how far he's come" of it.....aside from the gift itself being amazing, but.....wow. I was/am blown away. ❤️ 

Wow!  I remember how worried you were.  This is fantastic.  It must feel like a miracle.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Awww, that makes me so happy to hear!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Wow!  I remember how worried you were.  This is fantastic.  It must feel like a miracle.

It really, really does. I keep finding myself on the verge of tears, but good ones, just reflecting back....since Thanksgiving this year, remembering how bad he was doing last year. It's just incredible to me, things like this. He took 2 college classes this semester, from home/online, and did well. He's been hanging out, playing with his brothers, talking to them/us. When we went Christmas shopping for the other family members, he was decisive, knew what he wanted, chatted with me the whole time, talked through his ideas,.....he has *never* been a good shopper, even before. So that was awesome, too. He's just doing so well, and it does definitely feel miraculous. I'm so very grateful, and mindful of the fact not everyone gets that miracle, and....it just bowls me over. 

• Like 19

On 12/24/2020 at 6:25 PM, ScoutTN said:

Well, we don't open til tomorrow, but Ds was very excited about the big, whopper, giant Lego set he ordered today with gift cards/money from extended family. 

I'm 34 for and I bought myself a big, whopper, giant Lego set for myself this year, the treehouse.  What did your son get?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The kids are loving playing together on the Switch, so clearly a hit. 

The best gift though, was a cameo from ds’s hero. Ds is losing huge opportunities during his junior year sports season which will likely change his college sporting options. All the states around us are open for sports, and we sit here watching his dreams go down the drain. Anyway, my straight-A, popular, state ranked, tough 16yo cried through the cameo. Just showed how much stress and loss our teens are carrying around even if they seem Ok on the surface. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The big excitements in the house today were part of the meal and a game dh got. The meal part was that my brother who is visiting made a timpano and it was the favorite part of dinner for most people. No one had ever had one but my other 2 siblings who were over too  and I had always wanted to try one because of the movie Big Night.

The other excitement came from a game dh got called crokinole. We had a big tournament and everyone really loved it.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, 2squared said:

The kids are loving playing together on the Switch, so clearly a hit. 

The best gift though, was a cameo from ds’s hero. Ds is losing huge opportunities during his junior year sports season which will likely change his college sporting options. All the states around us are open for sports, and we sit here watching his dreams go down the drain. Anyway, my straight-A, popular, state ranked, tough 16yo cried through the cameo. Just showed how much stress and loss our teens are carrying around even if they seem Ok on the surface. 

Aww, hugs to you and your DS. It has been more stressful than we acknowledge a lot of the time.

• Like 1

Okay, here's my little bit of excitement for the day! About four years ago, I posted here asking if anyone remembered what Tinkerbell cologne smelled like. I'm talking about the Tom Fields Tinkerbell cosmetic / bath line for little girls that was sold in the 50's through early 80's. Great pictures here: http://sprinklepuffball.blogspot.com/2010/06/tinkerbell-cosmetics.html

My grandma used to buy Tinkerbell sets for me, and I so wanted to smell them again! However, even partially used bottles of the cologne sometimes sell for $75 and up on eBay and Etsy, when they can be found. 

Recently someone on eBay listed several unopened sets at very reasonable prices. I snagged one, asked my daughter to wrap it and give it to me, and didn't smell it until this morning. It's a cologne and talc set. The cologne has oxidized a little, but when put on, it smells exactly like my childhood!!! I've been smelling my wrist in ecstasy all day. 🙂 

For anyone who is curious, it is baby powdery with some musk and probably a tiny bit of floral. Reminds me a little of Love's Baby Soft, which came later. 🙂 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Oh another very exciting time. My aunt, who didn't come today since we were keeping it to my siblings and their families, delivered gifts yesterday with the instructions of everyone gets one and then you can trade if you want. They were just a bunch of random things from this locally owned general store. Paper lanterns, luau decorations, a nice ornament, play kitchen plate, ninja mask, knight you, donut clipboard, paddle ball, and a bunch of other silly things. We all had a blast.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

I'm 34 for and I bought myself a big, whopper, giant Lego set for myself this year, the treehouse.  What did your son get?

Something Star Wars related. Idk the exact set name or number. The Madalorian has revived live for all things Star Wars here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheReader said:

AWWWWW, that is the sweetest thing.   I am so glad he is doing better.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MercyA said:

Okay, here's my little bit of excitement for the day! About four years ago, I posted here asking if anyone remembered what Tinkerbell cologne smelled like. I'm talking about the Tom Fields Tinkerbell cosmetic / bath line for little girls that was sold in the 50's through early 80's. Great pictures here: http://sprinklepuffball.blogspot.com/2010/06/tinkerbell-cosmetics.html

My grandma used to buy Tinkerbell sets for me, and I so wanted to smell them again! However, even partially used bottles of the cologne sometimes sell for $75 and up on eBay and Etsy, when they can be found. 

Recently someone on eBay listed several unopened sets at very reasonable prices. I snagged one, asked my daughter to wrap it and give it to me, and didn't smell it until this morning. It's a cologne and talc set. The cologne has oxidized a little, but when put on, it smells exactly like my childhood!!! I've been smelling my wrist in ecstasy all day. 🙂 

For anyone who is curious, it is baby powdery with some musk and probably a tiny bit of floral. Reminds me a little of Love's Baby Soft, which came later. 🙂 

I can totally smell this in my head right now. :)

• Like 2

the boys (they were very pleased with themselves) and I got together and bought computer parts for dudeling.  (his computer is six/seven years old) 1ds came back this evening and assembled it. .. . dudeling has been doing "extra" things to be helpful (for him) for the last week or so to try and convince me to give him all the parts for Christmas (I told him some would be for his birthday - in a month.  I'd also told him I was reluctant to even give him the upgrade.)   Now - 2ds is trying to convince me to buy his graphics card off of him (he thinks it's better than the one 1ds told me to buy) so he can go upgrade his graphics card.

We finally fixed my grandfather clock - that was my present.  (the chimes somehow became jammed.).  It's been awhile since it stopped, so it's really nice to have it running again.  it's been a few weeks, but dh and I have both repeatedly commented how nice it is to have it working again.

• Like 2

We've all gotten a bit grabby with ds6's gravitrax marble run stuff.  And by "we all," it's mostly me.  

Unrelated, but just overheard:  My 6yo is trying to play Harry Potter with the older kids.  I just heard him say, "I accidentally bumped Professor Snape and he put me under tension." (in detention) 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

House keys.  For unknown reasons, everyone except me had lost their house keys, and it's been pretty annoying.  So now we all have one again ... let's see how long this lasts.

The gifts that have gotten the most use so far are Miss E's acrylic paints and Miss A's nail polish.

My kids said their favorite gifts were a polar bear "adoption" via World Wildlife Fund and a K-pop album.  Miss E is also quite excited about the horse treats I bought.  (For her horse, but she also eats them!)

• Like 3

The most fun gift has been the Oregon Trail Card game.  One thing that makes it funny is that you make up your character's name and write an epitaph when a character dies. And so many characters die! 

Dh and I are really liking new games we got, too, Upwords and the Fox and the Forest. 

Ds got LED lights for his room, so those will be cool when we get them put up. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hjffkj said:

The other excitement came from a game dh got called crokinole. We had a big tournament and everyone really loved it.

It's so interesting when someone discovers a game that I've had since I was a kid!   We all love crokinole here, but one's fingers can get a bit sore!  

Have you seen this video?  It's a combination of curling and crokinole. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aHdSNzlWsU

3 hours ago, jen3kids said:

It's so interesting when someone discovers a game that I've had since I was a kid!   We all love crokinole here, but one's fingers can get a bit sore!  

Have you seen this video?  It's a combination of curling and crokinole. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aHdSNzlWsU

that is pretty cool. I'll have to show dh.  After our tournament my middle finger was aching 

There is just so much excitement in this house this Christmas.  Today mil came over to exchange gifts.  I got a weighted blanket, which I have had on my lap since opening and I love it.  My 3 year old got a bubble machine which is just a blast for everyone. dd5 got a bunch of calico critter stuff so she's been playing with all of it since christmas morning. So, many hits this year.

• Like 2

On 12/24/2020 at 5:25 PM, ScoutTN said:

Never.  Our first Christmas as newlyweds, dh informed me he wanted some Legos, with plenty of time for shopping.  About a week later, he informed me that he was entirely serious. He really wanted some legos.  Now he and ds are arguing about divvying up the Lego collection.  Ds is 31, and legitimately most of the legos are his.  It's not going to be pretty. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

Never.  Our first Christmas as newlyweds, dh informed me he wanted some Legos, with plenty of time for shopping.  About a week later, he informed me that he was entirely serious. He really wanted some legos.  Now he and ds are arguing about divvying up the Lego collection.  Ds is 31, and legitimately most of the legos are his.  It's not going to be pretty. 

I fear the day my kids want to divy up the lego collection.  I have most of my legos from when I was a kid but they've been mixed in with theirs for years. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cougarmom4 said:

The big hit here was Battle Bots. I ordered them last minute to add in some fun. It’s hard when everyone grows up and there aren’t any toys. But these were just the thing!

Oh wow, those look awesome.  I haven't ever heard of them.  My ds would have loved that.  Putting that on the list for next year.