Menu

Who remembers Tinkerbell Cosmetics?

MercyA

When I was in a little girl in the late 70's and early 80's, my grandma often bought me Tinkerbell cosmetics. They had nothing to do with the Disney Tinkerbell, but were a line of play cosmetics and bath supplies for children. I had their cologne with an atomizer, their dusting powder mitt, their lotion, and their bubble bath. The nail polish bottles look really familiar, too. You can find photos of them here and an article about them here. I loved them!

If you remember them, too, I'd love to hear your recollections. Apparently the products had only one signature scent. Does anyone remember what they smelled like?

• Like 1

I remember tinkerbell. I don't recall my mother ever buying it for me but I do remember the packaging and seeing it at the 5 and 10. I was always more of a Lipsmacker girl with that roller ball applicator.

• Like 3

we got them for every holiday. And with three little girls that meant there were a LOT of those mits with powder around the house, lol.  I am pretty sure my little sister used to go around whomping people with one.

I can remember the cologne, but I can't describe it. It was super faint, mostly alcohol, and I didn't like it much. I never used it.  I remember thinking that it was silly to make perfume for little girls because little girls didn't wear perfume, lol. I bit my nails so I didn't use the nail polish. Mostly I displayed it. I remember having those little bottles on my dresser as a decoration. 

I didn't like them much, but I still don't like that sort of thing. Like I said, I thought beauty products for kids was silly. I just didn't see the point. But, my grandpa liked to give them to us.

eta: I was going to say that I remember there being lipstick, but then thought I was confusing it with something else. But according to the pictures, there was lipstick.  I didn't have it, I was too old by then, but my sisters did.

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 1

I remember them, too! :)

eta - after looking at the pics, I think either me or my older sister had the set that came in the round clear plastic container and had the blue shaker of body powder, lotion, and cologne. How fun, I haven't thought of this in years!

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 1

I remember that! I never had any as a kid but I did buy some for our oldest daughter.  She loved that awful Bo-po nail polish. I HATED that. She'd put it on, peel it off...put it on...peel it off. I'd find pieces everywhere.  Probably why I never bought any for dd #2. 

One of my friends had the powder puff thing and cologne and I thought she was SO sophisticated.  Being a tomboy, I was more comfortable with pocket knives and slingshots. But  I probably would have liked some of the Tinkerbell stuff- it might have civilized me a bit. 

• Like 1

I recall having some Tinkerbell bubble bath packets that would color the water pink or green.  Wonder what chemicals I was swimming in as a child...

But the Tinkerbell scent!  Yes, I do recall it.  Amazing how we retain memory of smells!

• Like 1

Me neither. But I was a tomboy and would've loathed that as a gift.

I would have loathed such a gift as well.  Didn't stop my mother from trying, but I never used any of that stuff.

Took me accumulating and throwing out probably 20 bottles of this or that before my MIL finally caught on that I don't like that stuff.  Or more my husband telling her so.  She kept buying me perfumed lotions.  Yuck.  That stuff just gives me a headache.

• Like 1

When I was in a little girl in the late 70's and early 80's, my grandma often bought me Tinkerbell cosmetics. They had nothing to do with the Disney Tinkerbell, but were a line of play cosmetics and bath supplies for children. I had their cologne with an atomizer, their dusting powder mitt, their lotion, and their bubble bath. The nail polish bottles look really familiar, too. You can find photos of them here and an article about them here. I loved them!

If you remember them, too, I'd love to hear your recollections. Apparently the products had only one signature scent. Does anyone remember what they smelled like?

I remember. They smelled like baby powder, rose water, and a hint of Old Spice. Cheap perfume.

• Like 1

Thank you all for chiming in! :) Hmm...as far as the scent goes, we have these recollections:

"Fruity/coconut"

"Super faint, mostly alcohol"

and

"Baby powder, rose water, and a hint of Old Spice. Cheap perfume."

I remember the scent being a very sweet floral, maybe a bit fruity. I googled it, and others have described it as "lily of the valley" and "woodsy/spicy/floral."

The back of one of the vintage Tinkerbell boxes says, "a fresh, light-hearted fragrant bouquet of flower essences from all parts of the world." Pretty non-specific.

I may have to spring for some on eBay just to smell it again.