Menu

Personal covid experiences

Terabith

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

So, a 9 year old girl who I taught in preschool got covid and had the typical little kid, mild cold case and recovered fine.  But then a couple weeks later was admitted to the hospital with extreme pain and weakness in her legs.  Extensive testing determined it was post viral syndrome, and this kid who was on dance team and active in theater is now in a wheelchair.  They're hoping she'll make progress with PT and be able to walk again, but nobody knows yet.

Oh, goodness 😞 . That’s terrible. I really really hope she recovers.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mathnerd said:

The county where the ER is located has been under SIP for a long time and there is a strict ban on gathering for parties (especially indoors). So, it is ridiculous that they held a party, inside an ER facility, with people who have more run-ins with covid than anyone else, with at least 44 employees (maybe more will test positive) during an SIP. I know that the person who wore that costume had good intentions, but, the media is claiming that there was a party where there should have been none. Today, the county health officer has asked all establishments to close down their break rooms. I am assuming that it is because of this episode.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/01/04/she-was-just-spreading-joy-kaiser-nurse-reveals-details-of-suspected-christmas-tree-costume-covid-superspreader/amp/

A nurse’s account of what happened. This is getting stranger....

• Thanks 1

A local friend's child and husband had the virus at different times. She and her 2 other kids have tested negative 3 times. However, she now has pneumonia and vertigo. The vertigo has been attributed to a family member already having it (so a family/genetic connection), but the doctor suspects, due to the pneumonia, she may have had it, despite the tests all being negative. I believe the test she received was a rapid test.

Before her child tested positive, she talked to the child's teacher. The teacher, who is her friend, told her a classmate had tested positive. However, because of distancing in the classroom and everyone wearing masks, the admin told the teacher the other classmates weren't at risk and parents shouldn't be told the case was in their classroom. Everyone in the school was notified there was a new case at the school. I work in the same school district and have seen similar reactions in the school I'm at.  I wish there weren't such a stigma about having the virus and the info could be shared so everyone in the classroom could be safe.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

My sister in laws mother died last week of Covid.  She had COPD and was 74. She refused the vent and I don’t it would have saved her anyway.  

My sisters daughter got married Sunday.  She sent me videos of dancing.....no masks in sight of course.  Our dad who is 80 with COPD was there also.  

• Sad 28

21 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

He tested NEGATIVE.

I took my in-person school (and right now zooming) daughter to be tested with hopes she can go back to school  Wednesday as she has no symptoms.  Also took me and the youngest so hopefully we can get back to having his buddy (who had covid and will be released on Wednesday) back in our home for school.  I have tests scheduled for each kid the rest of the week. 

My understanding is with a known exposure everyone needs to quarantine for 14 days (or is it 10 now?) regardless of a negative test - as the tests are not reliable enough to truly confirm you don't have it. 

20 hours ago, StillJessica said:

My mom still doesn’t even have her test results back but she already feels better, just a tiny bit of a cough and still fatigues easier than usual.  She only started symptoms 6 days ago.  

If she only started symptoms 6 days ago, and still has them, she is still supposed to isolate. 

19 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

This virus is weird.   I still don't see how I didn't get it.   How could I not?   We kissed.  No sex because I also had a bad ear infection the week before his symptoms showed up on a Sunday, but there were kisses, lots of closeness.   I was on augmentin for my ear, maybe that helped?   

There is no way to know for sure you didn't get it and just have an asymptomatic case. The tests are not sensitive enough to rule out an asymptomatic case with certainty. 

11 hours ago, Terabith said:

So, a 9 year old girl who I taught in preschool got covid and had the typical little kid, mild cold case and recovered fine.  But then a couple weeks later was admitted to the hospital with extreme pain and weakness in her legs.  Extensive testing determined it was post viral syndrome, and this kid who was on dance team and active in theater is now in a wheelchair.  They're hoping she'll make progress with PT and be able to walk again, but nobody knows yet.

This is what is freaking me out about them still not testing vaccines for the under 12 crowd. How do we get kids back out around other people without a vaccine for them? 

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

If she only started symptoms 6 days ago, and still has them, she is still supposed to isolate. 

Oh, yes, we know!  I should have clarified.  I was just happy that she felt better so fast since she has kidney disease and I was worried what would happen if she had a severe case!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Terabith said:

Something very similar happened several years ago with a little girl from church.  It was after she was sick (just cold/flu type stuff), and she couldn't walk for months.  But she did recover and is fine now.  

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, matrips said:

Something very similar happened several years ago with a little girl from church.  It was after she was sick (just cold/flu type stuff), and she couldn't walk for months.  But she did recover and is fine now.  

Oh no 😞 . Interesting... I wonder how often this happens, and whether it happens more or less often with COVID.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bootsie said:

I saw somewhere that it is three days rather than five days.  This could actually help with contact tracing because there is less time from infection to displaying symptoms that someone is out and about mingling with other people.  

In a recent case I am familiar with, person was exposed on a Wednesday and felt sick by Friday morning (positive test was Monday??). Quick but not quick enough to keep lots of contact from happening. All contact tracing in my area went to Do It Yourself back around Thanksgiving. I doubt the person is contacting anyone as it isn't widely known & I doubt this individual even knows how to let the strangers he was in contact with know he exposed them. 

• Sad 1

And my mom’s test was negative!  It has to be a false negative.  She was exposed to my grandparents who both tested positive, and she lost all sense of taste and smell.  She’s never done that with an illness before.  It not being COVID seems very unlikely.  They told her she no longer had to quarantine.  I told her they were wrong, and she’s not allowed to leave the house until her 14 days are up.  

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, matrips said:

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Oh no 😞 . Interesting... I wonder how often this happens, and whether it happens more or less often with COVID.

It happened to my oldest DS (now 25) when he was in kindergarten. He had some mild virus, the type of kid thing you don't think much about.  A day or two later he completely lost his ability to walk within a few hours. He was lucky, though -- The docs at our children's hospital and our pediatrician said it could take months for him to regain the ability to walk, but he was back to normal within a few days. It was very scary and very weird.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 5

My DIL woke up sick Nov 21 and tested negative. A week later she was really sick and  positive.  She was scheduled for surgery December 22 but it was cancelled because she tested positive at her pre op.  Again in December 27 in the Er she tested positive.

I don’t get it at all. Very confusing. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

18 hours ago, mathnerd said:

The county where the ER is located has been under SIP for a long time and there is a strict ban on gathering for parties (especially indoors). So, it is ridiculous that they held a party, inside an ER facility, with people who have more run-ins with covid than anyone else, with at least 44 employees (maybe more will test positive) during an SIP. I know that the person who wore that costume had good intentions, but, the media is claiming that there was a party where there should have been none. Today, the county health officer has asked all establishments to close down their break rooms. I am assuming that it is because of this episode.

There was an outbreak at LPCH, too, due to a staff potluck. They managed to keep that one out of the press. This about 6 weeks ago. Also, there are definitely staff still taking vacations to Cabo and getting back on the job right away. 

The feeling is that Kaiser is using the costume to push blame rather than acknowledge that they're doing a terrible job with employee testing and giving people the time off that they need. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, matrips said:

Sounds like that polio-like virus that seems to come in waves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sassenach said:

There was an outbreak at LPCH, too, due to a staff potluck. They managed to keep that one out of the press. This about 6 weeks ago. Also, there are definitely staff still taking vacations to Cabo and getting back on the job right away. 

The feeling is that Kaiser is using the costume to push blame rather than acknowledge that they're doing a terrible job with employee testing and giving people the time off that they need. 

I am hearing similar things about employees celebrating Christmas together there. My neighbor who is an oncology nurse at Kaiser decided to use up all her accumulated vacation time and stay home for all of January because her husband is high risk and employee testing is not a high priority.

3 hours ago, StillJessica said:

And my mom’s test was negative!  It has to be a false negative.  She was exposed to my grandparents who both tested positive, and she lost all sense of taste and smell.  She’s never done that with an illness before.  It not being COVID seems very unlikely.  They told her she no longer had to quarantine.  I told her they were wrong, and she’s not allowed to leave the house until her 14 days are up.  

Ugh. So much of this! My kids cubscout den (that we are not attending) sent out an email today. The den leader tested positive last week, but then over the weekend tested again and was negative, so he's decided it is okay to hold the meeting tonight anyway!!! 

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

My DIL woke up sick Nov 21 and tested negative. A week later she was really sick and  positive.  She was scheduled for surgery December 22 but it was cancelled because she tested positive at her pre op.  Again in December 27 in the Er she tested positive.

I don’t get it at all. Very confusing. 

It's that the tests are often wrong. False negatives are VERY common. It isn't sensitive enough to pick up all cases, especially at the beginning of illness. That's true of flu and strep tests too, for that matter. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

50 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Ugh. So much of this! My kids cubscout den (that we are not attending) sent out an email today. The den leader tested positive last week, but then over the weekend tested again and was negative, so he's decided it is okay to hold the meeting tonight anyway!!! 

It's that the tests are often wrong. False negatives are VERY common. It isn't sensitive enough to pick up all cases, especially at the beginning of illness. That's true of flu and strep tests too, for that matter. 

The false negatives I understand.  I don't get how she can be positive for 6 weeks straight.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kbutton said:

Interesting. I really wish healthcare workers were tested routinely.

Long Term Care staff are tested regularly here, but not necessarily hospital staff.  (Ontario, Canada). 

I've had one covid test since the start of the pandemic, which I initiated because I had the world's smallest cough.  Many of my colleagues have never been tested.  I'm in an Emergency Department.

• Confused 1

You know, I am surprised that there haven't been more hospital department outbreaks.  Staff are people, and they are tired.  Managers and directors have had their hands full with crisis after crisis - staffing, cleaning protocols, process changes, policy changes, sourcing PPE, organizing testing centres and mass vaccination programs - and are so distracted that they have actually been much less present in their departments.  I don't think they know what's actually going on on the ground much of the time.  Small protocol breaches like sneaking coffee and snacks at the desk aren't getting policed, and these sorts of behaviours tend to spread (social contagion, if you will).  Necessary logistics often lag behind policy changes.    There hasn't been time to foster department culture or really train good habits.  Instead, we get a lot of email.  But, I don't think human behaviour/habit training has ever been fixed with email.

• Like 8

We are super cautious about the virus, but I bought my kid an inflatable costume for Halloween.  It just didn’t cross my mind that the blower would spread the virus.  My kid decided he didn’t want to trick or treat and so we didn’t even open it, but if he had I would have let him, with a mask  of course, socially distanced, all outside.  

The one one we got the head isn’t inside the costume, it’s like this:

https://www.thehalloweenspot.com/products/inflatable-alien-abduction-costume-green?variant=31705124175945&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_IDstaKG7gIVl-CzCh0YRQ8JEAQYAiABEgKkxfD_BwE

So maybe safer?  I’m still very glad we didn’t try.  

• Like 2

My very small office now has Covid (I work from home in another state, so wasn’t even exposed). There are 5 people in my office...the person who brought it into the office worked on the Monday before Christmas and didn’t go in the rest of the week (planned time off for the holidays). He had no symptoms until Christmas Eve night. By Christmas night he knew he was sick and he had a rapid test the next day (Saturday) and tested positive. He called the other members of my office and they all tested that same day (no symptoms for any of them). Two tested positive and two tested negative. 

Is it strange that the employee exposed the office on Monday and didn’t even have symptoms until Thursday night? I guess that’s three full days, but it seems like a long time. I guess that is part of the reason this is so contagious...if you can spread it for several days prior to being symptomatic. 

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

Is it strange that the employee exposed the office on Monday and didn’t even have symptoms until Thursday night? I guess that’s three full days, but it seems like a long time. I guess that is part of the reason this is so contagious...if you can spread it for several days prior to being symptomatic. 

Yeah, that's what makes COVID such a disaster -- those are also some of the most contagious days, I think. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, kand said:

Yeah, reading that article, you have to wonder. The fact that the costume person came in in the morning, and some of the people who got sick didn’t work until that evening, seems very strange. I don’t know how they can be so sure it was the costume rather than any number of other factors with them all working together. Especially since they didn’t start testing them until after the outbreak. Who knows when it began, in that case. Could have been the costume, or could have been coincidence. I wonder if they are Genotyping any of them.

I thought that was odd too, as well as the fact that there were only two days between potential exposure and symptoms, which seemed short. 

Have they tested to make sure this isn’t the U.K. variant? 🤔

12 minutes ago, kand said:

Yeah, reading that article, you have to wonder. The fact that the costume person came in in the morning, and some of the people who got sick didn’t work until that evening, seems very strange. I don’t know how they can be so sure it was the costume rather than any number of other factors with them all working together. Especially since they didn’t start testing them until after the outbreak. Who knows when it began, in that case. Could have been the costume, or could have been coincidence. I wonder if they are Genotyping any of them.

I agree......it seems like there are pieces of the story missing, and I don’t think it can all necessarily be blamed on the person in the costume. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wathe said:

Long Term Care staff are tested regularly here, but not necessarily hospital staff.  (Ontario, Canada). 

I've had one covid test since the start of the pandemic, which I initiated because I had the world's smallest cough.  Many of my colleagues have never been tested.  I'm in an Emergency Department.

It is the same here. 

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

We are super cautious about the virus, but I bought my kid an inflatable costume for Halloween.  It just didn’t cross my mind that the blower would spread the virus.  My kid decided he didn’t want to trick or treat and so we didn’t even open it, but if he had I would have let him, with a mask  of course, socially distanced, all outside.  

The one one we got the head isn’t inside the costume, it’s like this:

https://www.thehalloweenspot.com/products/inflatable-alien-abduction-costume-green?variant=31705124175945&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_IDstaKG7gIVl-CzCh0YRQ8JEAQYAiABEgKkxfD_BwE

So maybe safer?  I’m still very glad we didn’t try.  

We were at a Halloween event with one classmate of my daughter's and the son had one of those inflatable costumes. I didn't think of it as a concern either.

25 minutes ago, HSmomof2 said:

I agree......it seems like there are pieces of the story missing, and I don’t think it can all necessarily be blamed on the person in the costume. 

One possible "missing piece" of the story might be whether the costumed person spent time in the break room with other employees who weren't masked. A different employee who spoke to the media said that Kaiser was only deep cleaning the break room, and other hospitals in the area have been told to close their break rooms, both of which suggest that Kaiser believes that was a significant contributor to the outbreak. I can see that if someone who was highly contagious was literally blowing their germs all over the place in a small break room with possibly unmasked people, and those people who had direct contact with the costumed person later spent time in the break room with other unmasked people, that could lead to a superspreader event.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Just Kate said:

He called the other members of my office and they all tested that same day (no symptoms for any of them). Two tested positive and two tested negative. 

Is it strange that the employee exposed the office on Monday and didn’t even have symptoms until Thursday night?

I wonder if it can be conclusively determined that the employer who had symptoms Christmas Eve was the one who brought it into the office. One of the others could have, IMO. Either one that tested negative (because they were past the window of testing positive) or one of the positives could have brought it in without knowing. Quite a few people are asymptomatic or only recognize their symptoms in retrospect.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2021 at 9:25 AM, ktgrok said:

My understanding is with a known exposure everyone needs to quarantine for 14 days (or is it 10 now?) regardless of a negative test - as the tests are not reliable enough to truly confirm you don't have it. 

I would totally agree with you if it were only ONE or even TWO tests.  He's had 5 (and another today and Friday so it will be seven tests in 1.5 weeks) from two different labs, all PCR.  The probability would be astounding that all were false negatives.

But on the other hand, on yesterday's ride to testing he told me that he came down with something resembling COVID (mild fever, loss of smell, headache) in March after my DH came back from Japan.  Our best friends (with whom he spent a lot of time) are the Chief Rabbi of Japan who took care of the Israeli and Jewish passengers who were on the ill-fated Diamond Princess stranded in Yokohama Bay.  The rabbi and his family brought food and supplies to them and took care of the family members personally after they got off the ship (whether negative or post-illness).  My DH mentioned they all had mild coughs.  My younger two children also had these symptoms (minus the loss of smell) that same time in March.  I asked at the time to have them tested but the doctor said they could only test people coming from China.  We did test my daughter in October for antibodies but she didn't have any.  I'm still convinced it was COVID.  And with my son who is still living unmasked in a 10x14 room in the bunk under the sick one (who, in March, was in school from 7:30am-7pm in March and a severe introvert, so little contact with DH) for a week now, I think he still has T-cell immunity.

Edited by YaelAldrich

15 hours ago, Just Kate said:

Yup, and what makes it even more difficult is that during that time he could have been tested and had a false negative, as the rapid tests are only reasonably reliable when truly symptomatic. Before then there isn't enough virus to really test. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I'm starting to know or know next of kin to too many folks with covid. In the misery department a male friend around 50 thought he was having a heart attack. The ER admitted him. He also tested positive and his primary diagnosis is covid.   He's been hospitalized for a week. A week earlier he tested negative at the university where he's employed.  Sadly dsil has several relatives in several states that are positive. Some are sicker than others. They are of the no mask and continue as usual group. 

• Sad 9

And I post again because a 27 year old healthy woman has died of covid. She was a good friend of a young woman who was in our college bible study for several years. There is no predicting who will get how sick. She complained online of her chest being sore from coughing and asked for suggestions for stretches that might make her feel better. By the next morning she had died. 

• Sad 30

Just wanted to share a friend’s “well” update.
She was positive mid-November and donated plasma mid-December.  I’m not certain whether there was a second attempted donation or if the call was about the first one, but the Red Cross called to notify her that her blood no longer had enough antibodies for the treatment of COVID patients.

They specified that they were unable to say what that means for her own immunity, but it sure does seem significant!

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Just wanted to share a friend’s “well” update.
She was positive mid-November and donated plasma mid-December.  I’m not certain whether there was a second attempted donation or if the call was about the first one, but the Red Cross called to notify her that her blood no longer had enough antibodies for the treatment of COVID patients.

They specified that they were unable to say what that means for her own immunity, but it sure does seem significant!

Most likely, your friend now has at least some memory cells which will whip up antibodies if she’s exposed to the virus again. (Vaccination will lead to the creation of even more memory cells.) After an exposure to an antigen, such as sars-cov-2, the body will make antibodies, then memory cells (antibody “recipes”) and then the antibodies will be broken down.

It would be detrimental to maintain high antibody levels for every single antigen. Antibodies are made up of proteins. If they all stuck around for long periods of time, then there would be excess protein in the blood (hypergammaglobulinemia) and this would cause other problems down the road such as lymphoma. Although the antibodies might be broken down, the memory cells would be lurking in the bone marrow ready to create antibodies if necessary.

Later, if exposed to the antigen again, the immune system will “wake up” those memory cells and within 24-48 hours antibodies will be circulating to fight it off. An individual might not even know they were reinfected because the whole process kicks in quickly.

Some people are experiencing reinfections and that’s being studied. Those individuals might have cleared the initial infection without making many memory cells. However, for most, they are seeing the memory cells and that’s good.

Everyone in my family — dh, my kids, and I — all have had antibodies and were asymptomatic. We will continue to wear masks and be careful and we will get vaccinated just to beef up the memory cells. Soon, I hope.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

On 1/4/2021 at 9:07 AM, Not_a_Number said:

Apparently, a 90 year old relative of DH's has it. He's in the hospital but seems to be stable. His wife has it as well and she's home.

Apparently, the relative is now ventilated and unconscious and it currently looks like he's not going to make it 😞 .

• Sad 24

My mother's cousin died late December, confirmed Covid. She was a couple years younger than my mom. The cousin's sister is currently in the hospital (she was admitted the same time as her sister). Both sisters had to be taken to different hospitals in the state (200+ miles away) because our small regional hospital can't do anything more (our ER is 4-6 beds, to give you an idea of the size).

• Sad 15

4 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

My mother's cousin died late December, confirmed Covid. She was a couple years younger than my mom. The cousin's sister is currently in the hospital (she was admitted the same time as her sister). Both sisters had to be taken to different hospitals in the state (200+ miles away) because our small regional hospital can't do anything more (our ER is 4-6 beds, to give you an idea of the size).

Oh, I am sorry 😞 . How old was your mom's cousin? 😞 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Oh, I am sorry 😞 . How old was your mom's cousin? 😞 

Late 60's. Her sister is mid-60's; we have not heard any update on her for a few days but last one wasn't good.

We had another death in the family on Tuesday (my 50yo cousin) but we don't have a confirmed cause of death yet. Another 2 people in the hospital, one Covid, one unrelated. It's been a hard few days on the family side. 

• Sad 18

1 hour ago, Moonhawk said:

Late 60's. Her sister is mid-60's; we have not heard any update on her for a few days but last one wasn't good.

We had another death in the family on Tuesday (my 50yo cousin) but we don't have a confirmed cause of death yet. Another 2 people in the hospital, one Covid, one unrelated. It's been a hard few days on the family side. 

I am so sorry for your losses.  Sending so many prayers to your whole family. 

• Thanks 1

I had a long time friend of the family pass away last week. He was diagnosed, on a ventilator, and passed within 3 days. I don't know much about any risk factors he may have had other than age. He appeared to be a healthy man in his 70s.

I think it hit close to my dad who may *finally* be taking his own risks seriously. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 23

1 hour ago, Paige said:

I had a long time friend of the family pass away last week. He was diagnosed, on a ventilator, and passed within 3 days. I don't know much about any risk factors he may have had other than age. He appeared to be a healthy man in his 70s.

I think it hit close to my dad who may *finally* be taking his own risks seriously. 

I am so sorry for your loss. 

1 hour ago, Paige said:

I'm so sorry to hear that 😞.