Menu

Personal covid experiences

Terabith

I was on a zoom meeting recently and asked if everyone had received their vaccinations. I was going to offer to walk the older ladies through the registration process but most of them were recovering or in quarantine because their husbands were positive. 😞

• Sad 9

Just now, Starr said:

I was on a zoom meeting recently and asked if everyone had received their vaccinations. I was going to offer to walk the older ladies through the registration process but most of them were recovering or in quarantine because their husbands were positive. 😞

Oh no 😞 . Were they all OK? 

20 hours ago, popmom said:

I’m sick. 

Dh and I went on our first official outing since the pandemic started. I have been so, so careful. The outing was my idea. We went to an RV show. It was in a huge convention center so huge open space, they took temps before admission, everyone was masked. We socially distanced. It wasn’t crowded. We didn’t spend more than 4 or 5 minutes at the most in any one motorhome. Probably not that long. We were there about 2 hours. We also went to a restaurant afterwards and ate indoors which is also a first since this started. We were the only people there until about the time we were leaving. A couple of people were in and out for take out. This was Saturday. Monday evening I didn’t feel great— tired, muscles aches—so went to bed early. Similar last night. I have CFS/ME, so this isn’t unheard of for me. Again today I was fine until about 4 pm. Started getting the same fatigue and muscles aches. I went to bed about 6. Then GI symptoms started. First D, then nausea, and I was violently ill once )praying that’s it. I took a Zofran afterwards). I have no respiratory symptoms, but norovirus isn’t a thing this year, is it??? My temp is 99-99.3. 

Im scared tbh. I have no idea what to expect. GI symptoms are associated with severe illness apparently. 

It felt so good to get out. 😢 Don’t do it. I let the February cabin fever get the best of me. 

Just to give you a positive story. I had Covid last month and had some fatigue/nausea and gastro issues (as well as runny eyes and a stuffy nose with headaches). I lost my sense of taste and smell and still haven't gotten it back BUT even though I had all of those other issues they were relatively mild and now I'm back to feeling great. It may not mean a severe case for you.

I know a large number of people who have had it, unfortunately, and most were mild cases even though they had gastro issues. Anecdotal at best, though. I hope you're feeling better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, importswim said:

I know a large number of people who have had it, unfortunately, and most were mild cases even though they had gastro issues. Anecdotal at best, though. I hope you're feeling better.

I'm always curious about people who know lots of people who've had it. Mind relating the statistics for your sample? 

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm always curious about people who know lots of people who've had it. Mind relating the statistics for your sample? 

I'm not as mathy as you are so I'll try but it definitely won't be recorded properly and is entirely from who I can think of at the time. HA!

In my area I know 41 people including myself who have tested positive. There are probably more but I just informally went down my contact list on my phone and added up who I know personally that have tested positive. Out of those 41, 4 people were hospitalized (all over 70), and 2 died. 

I live in Florida, in an area where people are not being careful. Unfortunately, I got a blase with things and caught it recently off someone at a homeschool class.

I will say that the anxiety during covid of what could happen was much worse for me than the symptoms that I had. Mentally the what ifs after finding out I had tested positive were horrible.  

Anyway, I hope that helps answer your curiosity!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, importswim said:

I'm not as mathy as you are so I'll try but it definitely won't be recorded properly and is entirely from who I can think of at the time. HA!

In my area I know 41 people including myself who have tested positive. There are probably more but I just informally went down my contact list on my phone and added up who I know personally that have tested positive. Out of those 41, 4 people were hospitalized (all over 70), and 2 died. 

I live in Florida, in an area where people are not being careful. Unfortunately, I got a blase with things and caught it recently off someone at a homeschool class.

I will say that the anxiety during covid of what could happen was much worse for me than the symptoms that I had. Mentally the what ifs after finding out I had tested positive were horrible.  

Anyway, I hope that helps answer your curiosity!

Definitely answers it! Do you know if there were any long haulers or any cases of MIS-C or any cases of unexplained strokes/heart issues afterwards? (I hope that's not too morbid. Just trying to get a full pictures!) 

5 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Definitely answers it! Do you know if there were any long haulers or any cases of MIS-C or any cases of unexplained strokes/heart issues afterwards? (I hope that's not too morbid. Just trying to get a full pictures!) 

None of those were children and other than myself I only know one other person who has had a child tested (both mine and the other child tested negative), so I'm assuming that would answer the MIS-C question? All kids that I know have been fine. I only know 1 teenager who lost their smell/taste and I didn't count them in my numbers (though they probably did have it and quarantined as if they did. So, my number of cases I "know" is probably higher than stated, I was pretty conservative with it)

No strokes/heart attacks or any other issues, however, can that happen any time after or is it just right after?

I just remembered someone told me they got Covid in December and were still dealing with issues with it (so that's 42). There were a couple that had lingering fatigue (but felt better after 2 months) and a lot still have issues with taste/smell (including me). This is highly anecdotal evidence, though, because I haven't spoken to a few of them in a couple of weeks and not everyone is quick to share.

• Like 2

Oh and get this, DH hasn't had it. He, thankfully, wasn't home when I got it and was able to stay out of town while I was in quarantine. 

He's an airline pilot who has been working constantly flying this past year. That's craziness to me. I'm hoping he can get his vaccine soon!

5 minutes ago, importswim said:

None of those were children and other than myself I only know one other person who has had a child tested (both mine and the other child tested negative), so I'm assuming that would answer the MIS-C question? All kids that I know have been fine. I only know 1 teenager who lost their smell/taste and I didn't count them in my numbers (though they probably did have it and quarantined as if they did. So, my number of cases I "know" is probably higher than stated, I was pretty conservative with it)

I think the oldest ages for MIS-C have been early 20s, and it's most common in actual kids. 

No strokes/heart attacks or any other issues, however, can that happen any time after or is it just right after?

I think it can be a while. Months. And honestly, someone is going to need to track the statistics -- we don't know how long it can be. 

I just remembered someone told me they got Covid in December and were still dealing with issues with it (so that's 42). There were a couple that had lingering fatigue (but felt better after 2 months) and a lot still have issues with taste/smell (including me). This is highly anecdotal evidence, though, because I haven't spoken to a few of them in a couple of weeks and not everyone is quick to share.

As I like to tell people... the original saying is "the plural of anecdote IS data" 😉

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think the oldest ages for MIS-C have been early 20s, and it's most common in actual kids. 

I think it can be a while. Months. And honestly, someone is going to need to track the statistics -- we don't know how long it can be. 

As I like to tell people... the original saying is "the plural of anecdote IS data" 😉

(I laughed at your data quote)

Well, thanks for adding to my anxiety. 🤪 I had to stop reading the big covid thread because I just didn't want to know.

2 minutes ago, importswim said:

(I laughed at your data quote)

Well, thanks for adding to my anxiety. 🤪 I had to stop reading the big covid thread because I just didn't want to know.

Honestly, I think it's really rare. I wouldn't worry about it personally. I really wouldn't. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, importswim said:

Question for anybody—are you hearing about cases outside of close friends and family? I am not. It’s mum here. I can’t figure out if people are communicating only in person, if it’s hush-hush because people here are quite committed to it being “no big deal,” or we’re just pariahs at this point for taking it seriously and staying home.

Sometimes people say something on FB that seems to assume we already know they’ve had Covid, and that’s about the only time we hear unless it’s family.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Question for anybody—are you hearing about cases outside of close friends and family? I am not. It’s mum here. I can’t figure out if people are communicating only in person, if it’s hush-hush because people here are quite committed to it being “no big deal,” or we’re just pariahs at this point for taking it seriously and staying home.

Sometimes people say something on FB that seems to assume we already know they’ve had Covid, and that’s about the only time we hear unless it’s family.

People seem to be more open now about sharing that they've had it in the past. It's been a real issue for us of reading in between the lines at the time of their vagueness and then later having them confirm. I think it's probably the first two and I would hope not the last one, though I would probably say that it's other things, also.

I was very open about getting it and about that we were quarantining. I started to hear from more people during that time who had already had it (I hadn't known). Not unlike after I had a miscarriage and I had a lot of people confide in me about their previous experience.

I will say that I didn't want to tell my parents or DH's family (they don't live anywhere near us) as I didn't want to hear an I told you so or judgement for getting it because they are all have been pretty much in their houses since the beginning (which I am grateful they can do and have no problem with as it's their comfort level) and we have been more risky.....ETA: I did tell them right away, of course, and it wasn't great... but I dealt with it.

Edited by importswim

Here are my experiences for your stats

2 couples in their early 50’s very mild, no long term effects.

A mom 50 and her youngest who is 17. Mild, though she still feels tired sometimes. Her husband, a physician and their other two adult children didn’t get it. ( Home for Christmas)

A wife in her late 50’s got it from her parents who got it from a home health person. Her mom was very fragile.  She didn’t die from the Covid, but came home for hospice and died shortly after.

A female administrator in a school in her 60’s. Knocked her out with pneumonia but did not need to be hospitalized. Her husband got it as well, though not quite as bad.

Another person with multiple underlying conditions.  I think maybe she got it from her granddaughter because she hasn’t been going out. She seems to be doing ok.  I don’t know how you would distinguish long term problems with her other issues.

The senior adult pastor and his wife got it. They have MANY health issues. No problem for the husband. Wife was hospitalized, but she is out and fine.

Children’s minister and her husband got it. Husband works in a jail which is where he got it. No problems at all.

A police officer, young but very overweight, on a vent, has been released but long term problems. Still in rehab a month later.

A former student’s father got it and died after a few months in the hospital.  I think he and his mom had it as well but didn’t have to be hospitalized. Have no clue how they got it and don’t really know how they are doing.

Youth minister got it, but his wife and three children did not. ( Despite the wife sleeping in the same bed with him.) Very mild. Don’t know how he got it.

A young lady works for chickfila who is in her late twenties and was fairly mild. Did not give it to her roommate.

A woman in her 40’s and her high schooler got it.  Fairly mild. No long term effects. The husband and the other child didn’t get it, but they moved out because he was a doctor.  ( Just until quarantine was over.)

A  friend in his 70’s lost his sister to it in another state. The husband was also hospitalized but survived. Don’t know how he is doing now.

My daughter’s roommate and her mom had in August before college started. No long term effects despite some underlying conditions.

When our senior adult pastor asked how many had had Covid, half the people in our church raised their hands.  I would have to go back and look at prayer requests, but many of our couples in their 60’s and 70’s have had it, but have not been hospitalized. I’m not really involved right now, so I don’t have any clue if they have any long term effects, but I can see them on the video, so they are well enough to attend church…unmasked. Like other posters said, some of the people who raised their hands I knew were sick, but no one used the word Covid.

No one in our immediate family or extended family has had it: not grandparents, our siblings or their children or spouses.

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2021 at 6:59 PM, importswim said:

Just to give you a positive story. I had Covid last month and had some fatigue/nausea and gastro issues (as well as runny eyes and a stuffy nose with headaches). I lost my sense of taste and smell and still haven't gotten it back BUT even though I had all of those other issues they were relatively mild and now I'm back to feeling great. It may not mean a severe case for you.

Thank you. 

I tested negative for both UTI and COVID, so it must have been a stomach bug. I’m so fixated on COVID, I forget other bugs are being passed around. I mean... I’ve managed to evade the stomach bug for decades and raising 4 kids—I’ve only caught it twice from them. So of course I freaked out and assumed I had COVID. How crappy is my luck? I did one ((subjectively risky)) thing. So, SO many people in my circles are traveling around with their kids for all kinds of sports and stuff—and “not living in fear”. Shopping for whatever. I can’t even. If they or their kids puke, they probably don’t even bother to get tested. Maybe I’m the crazy one. I’m ok with that. Just give me my shot please! ETA: I’m very grateful for my test results. And grateful to live where I would have excellent care no matter what.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, popmom said:

Thank you. 

I tested negative for both UTI and COVID, so it must have been a stomach bug. I’m so fixated on COVID, I forget other bugs are being passed around. I mean... I’ve managed to evade the stomach bug for decades and raising 4 kids—I’ve only caught it twice from them. So of course I freaked out and assumed I had COVID. How crappy is my luck? I did one ((subjectively risky)) thing. So, SO many people in my circles are traveling around with their kids for all kinds of sports and stuff—and “not living in fear”. Shopping for whatever. I can’t even. If they or their kids puke, they probably don’t even bother to get tested. Maybe I’m the crazy one. I’m ok with that. Just give me my shot please! ETA: I’m very grateful for my test results. And grateful to live where I would have excellent care no matter what.

No fun on the stomach bug but yay that it’s not COVID!

• Like 4

On 3/4/2021 at 9:00 PM, kbutton said:

I never really thought about it, but I guess it has mostly been family and close friends for me.

Grandma, Great-aunt’s spouse, cousins FIL, family friends’ grandma, homeschool friend, a friend’s daughter, Dh, Ds, ds’s father, ds’s brother, my sister, close friend couple (both), our former real estate agent, ds’s grandmother, ds’s grandfather... I think that might be my whole list.

Now, my dd has transported a ton of Covid patients, so I’m very aware of their existence, but that’s more like hearing a medical statistic than stories through the grapevine.

• Thanks 1

DH works closely with a guy in Switzerland, whose whole family is now in quarantine.  Wife works from home but went to a work event.  They followed recommendations to the letter, plus some. They were all masked the entire time, spaced 3 - 4 meters apart (so more than 6 feet), opened all windows every 20 minutes.  Hand washing and sanitizing.  6 of the 9 people in attendance are now positive.  Wife is on Day 8.  It’s one of the new variants.  Super spreader was present, maybe.

Edited by Spryte
  • Sad 11

3 minutes ago, Spryte said:

DH works closely with a guy in Switzerland, whose whole family is now in quarantine.  Wife works from home but went to a work event.  They followed recommendations to the letter, plus some. They were all masked the entire time, spaced 3 - 4 meters apart (so more than 6 feet), opened all windows every 20 minutes.  Hand washing and sanitizing.  6 of the 9 people in attendance are now positive.  Wife is on Day 8.  It’s one of the new variants.  Super spreader was present, maybe.

That is scary.  

8 hours ago, popmom said:

Thank you. 

So glad you had a negative test.  I hope you are feeling better.   

• Like 2

I live in a state with a governor who has been pretty proactive. I live in a city full of people who support her. We all mask, our restaurants are still closed to indoor dining, our schools have not opened yet (high school where I work will begin hybrid in April, but even that is all instruction online and 2 hours 2 days/week in afternoon at school all staff now vaccinated), and the people I know are still serious about social distancing. So, the cases I know of are few:

1) One teacher got it from taking care of her father back in July/August. It was rough for her--she altered her fall teaching assignment, but no hospitalization.
2) Teacher I work with went to visit her ailing father, found out he was positive, he died, she then tested positive too. She was out of state, her family never got it, her case wasn't too bad.
3) My two CA nephews got it at college in Indiana. One got it just before traveling home for Thanksgiving, but thankfully my sister (an AML survivor and immunocompromised) never got it.
4) My old roommate who moved to Tennessee and has continually posted on FB of dining out unmasked with groups of friends, going to concerts, traveling all over got it in December. Mild case. She would have exposed many people, but I don't know any details if she spread it.

And that's it. Extended family slowly getting vaccinated (my dad, his wife, my sister, my sisters-in-law, our family, dh's parents, one nephew so far), coworkers all vaccinated (education workers) so I'm hoping to not hear of any other cases.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 4

I’ve posted before about relatives, married, where they were both ill—wife with a “bad cold”/negative Covid test, and the husband died of confirmed Covid after semi-recovering and seemingly on his way to recovery. Well the wife had a very pronounced reaction to her first Covid shot and has also had some odd side effects to her illness (or to treatment), particularly hair loss. She’s kind of assumed she had a false negative test but is more suspicious now. 

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

And today I'm seeing photos of family and friends who are at the movies - photo was of kids with no masks sitting in theater seats eating popcorn - or having a mom's brunch with nearly a dozen people crowded around a table full of food, no masks, indoors. Sigh. 

• Sad 7

3 hours ago, kand said:

I was thinking about this earlier today and trying to figure out what the actual thought is with this approach. Do people think they’re invincible and the virus is never going to touch them? Do they not believe in it period? I mean, what do they think will happen with everything fully open and people not wearing masks? I’m pretty sure the governors are smart enough to know cases will very likely surge again in the next month or so, before enough people can be vaccinated. Are they gambling that the political pay off of opening things up will outweigh any surge in cases? I’m trying to understand how they think this is going to play out. 

Where I am the feeling is that it is basically just a cold and if you get it no biggie. I know a lot of people who have been doing all these things all along. As far as I know, most of them or a significant number of them have had Covid. It was minor and they feel vindicated in not giving up all their lives over what was a very mild illness. 

We’ve been pretty much open all along. My family is about the most careful of anyone I know. The only people that really have seemed to take it seriously are the hospital workers who had to deal directly with the ongoing overcrowding and death. Outside of that group, people have been pretty content living normally. I know a lot of people that had it who acknowledge it is real but just not a big enough deal to worry about. For them, they were right. They lived their lives, had a mild illness, and went right along living their lives. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

Where I am the feeling is that it is basically just a cold and if you get it no biggie. I know a lot of people who have been doing all these things all along. As far as I know, most of them or a significant number of them have had Covid. It was minor and they feel vindicated in not giving up all their lives over what was a very mild illness. 

The sad thing is that we already knew it’d be mild for most people. That was clear from the start. That wasn’t why people were worried — it’s no Ebola.

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, ktgrok said:

And today I'm seeing photos of family and friends who are at the movies - photo was of kids with no masks sitting in theater seats eating popcorn - or having a mom's brunch with nearly a dozen people crowded around a table full of food, no masks, indoors. Sigh. 

My neighbor just had a get together with 8 cars parked along the road. It must have been a kid's birthday. Their house is tiny and it was 28 degrees yesterday, so nobody was distancing outside! Ugh. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

We’ve been pretty much open all along. My family is about the most careful of anyone I know. The only people that really have seemed to take it seriously are the hospital workers who had to deal directly with the ongoing overcrowding and death. Outside of that group, people have been pretty content living normally. I know a lot of people that had it who acknowledge it is real but just not a big enough deal to worry about. For them, they were right. They lived their lives, had a mild illness, and went right along living their lives. 

This has exactly been my experience, unfortunately. I have a few doctor/nurse friends and unfortunately here they seem to be the same way. It seems to be consistent, though, with the mindset I saw pre-Covid. I live in an area where there's not a lot of diversity in all meanings of the word and I think people are pretty insular.

We have been one of the most careful out of our peers (and I got Covid) and have faced some light ridicule for it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Just now, importswim said:

This has exactly been my experience, unfortunately. I have a few doctor/nurse friends and unfortunately here they seem to be the same way. It seems to be consistent, though, with the mindset I saw pre-Covid. I live in an area where there's not a lot of diversity in all meanings of the word and I think people are pretty insular.

We have been one of the most careful out of our peers (and I got Covid) and have faced some light ridicule for it. 

Yes. I have known all along if we got covid I was going to be mocked. I've dealt with getting mocked for wearing a mask. My 12 yo dd has had a very real lesson in doing what she thinks is right even when no one else is. 

We got hit bad here (our numbers are still pretty high relative to other areas) and the attitudes never did change. I guess the change was from "it's not real" to "it is real but no biggie". 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

18 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

It's kind of odd, because there's definitely plenty of evidence that it's terrible for older folks 😕

I agree- but if all their old folks got it and were just fine they aren't going to change their minds. It just gives them more vindication that they were right all along.

Now..."just fine" is going to be subjective here. I think that surviving doesn't equal that it was no biggie. But if someone didn't believe it was a big deal, then Grandma got it and recovered, they really aren't going to change their minds now. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, kand said:

Do you think they don’t believe the hospitalization and death statistics, or that they just don’t understand them to know what that means?

I have some friends who have been very blase about covid and I wish I could ask them about it, because I just don’t understand where they’re coming from at all. But if I bring up the subject, I’m pretty sure they’ll be able to see my judgement and the friendships will get weird.   

I think they feel that the huge majority of cases are mild and that it’ll be like getting a bad flu and then they’ll be fine. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

How is vaccine uptake in your area? It seems decent here in that getting appointments is challenging, but I still see a lot of negative social media posts about the vaccine (even after snoozing lots of people). Also, we have a split between older and younger “open things up” people here as the older ones are more likely to vaccinate.

On 3/7/2021 at 6:26 AM, teachermom2834 said:

I know a lot of people that had it who acknowledge it is real but just not a big enough deal to worry about. For them, they were right. They lived their lives, had a mild illness, and went right along living their lives. 

What sucks is they can't grasp that they may have spread it to others, who died. And that although they are living their lives, others are not, because of their actions. UGH. 

(just was reading ANOTHER person posting how they are traveling and having parties and just don't lick the furniture and you will be fine so I'm a bit spiteful right now)

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

Just now, ktgrok said:

What sucks is they can't grasp that they may have spread it to others, who died. And that although they are living their lives, others are not, because of their actions. UGH. 

(just was reading ANOTHER person posting how they are traveling and having parties and just don't lick the furniture and you will be fine so I'm a bit spiteful right now)

It seems like everyone's attitudes have kind of... solidified? People who were being careful are still being careful -- like, we've had Zoom classes for our friends for ages now, and everyone's mostly staying home or has a pod. People who had decided to throw caution to the wind are still doing so. People who are kind of in the middle are still in the middle. 

At this point, it feels like everyone is just going to ride out their attitude until the end of the pandemic, which hopefully is in sight. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

It's kind of odd, because there's definitely plenty of evidence that it's terrible for older folks 😕

Not in my church.  Just found out several others have had it,  They feel it is like the flu. You don’t want it, but you will be ok.  Seriously, I have felt like chicken little in my. community.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Not in my church.  Just found out several others have had it,  They feel it is like the flu. You don’t want it, but you will be ok.  Seriously, I have felt like chicken little in my. community.

Well... I’m sure there are anomalous subgroups, but even in DH’s relatively careful family, an older uncle died from it. But his wife was fine! It’s really random.

Edited by Not_a_Number

Not_a_Number

I honestly believe there will be no "over".  My state moved into other tiers when they struggled to get more 65+ to get it. The more conservative district north of me only has 52% of 65 and up vaccinated. But they had to move on. It may be more people will be willing as time goes on but the way things are looking right now people will simply have to get yearly Covid shots much like they get yearly flu shots and many will choose not to ever anyway. I don't know how to change that. My guess is some of the people who have strong and painful immune responses after one shot may also become hesitant to get another one while others become more open to the idea as they know lots of people who are vaccinated. 

2 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Reading between the lines, this is how it is here too. I am not in the in crowd enough to get things directly, and my views are known, so I am sure some people have opted to leave me out of the information flow on purpose. There are just enough people telling on themselves on FB with their words and actions (pictures of close events and no masks) for me to know people don't care. I suspect a few think that being in the middle is virtuous and above the fray, but they don't realize that supporting things like masking on the way into church, and then taking them off while seated (and while singing) defeats the entire point. And that is when they are on their good behavior--most pictures show no masks.

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Well... I’m sure there are anomalous subgroups, but even in DH’s relatively careful family, an older uncle died from it. But his wife was fine! It’s really random.

I suspect that in my circles, the key phrases are, "It was their time," "It was God's will," and "we shouldn't be sorry for them because they are surely not sorry to be waking up in glory." I would also guess there is a heavy dose of, "they had pre-existing conditions."

I might be more harsh than what is really happening, but since people have opted to say horrid things on FB and keep hush-hush, I think they shouldn't be surprised at whatever conclusions people draw. After all, my church is still LYING on its own website. I check periodically to see if their proclamation that masks are required for all services is still there, and it is. 

My old church is even farther down this line of thinking--masked people are welcome, but their church is not changing anything for the virus. 

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, frogger said:

Not_a_Number

I honestly believe there will be no "over".  My state moved into other tiers when they struggled to get more 65+ to get it. The more conservative district north of me only has 52% of 65 and up vaccinated. But they had to move on. It may be more people will be willing as time goes on but the way things are looking right now people will simply have to get yearly Covid shots much like they get yearly flu shots and many will choose not to ever anyway. I don't know how to change that. My guess is some of the people who have strong and painful immune responses after one shot may also become hesitant to get another one while others become more open to the idea as they know lots of people who are vaccinated. 

I think it'll be "over" in the sense that things will reopen, people will decide what risks they are wiling to take, and everything will resettle. Right now, we're in a state of suspended animation over here, and that will end. But I think you're right that we won't eradicate this virus. It's really hard to see that happen given the vaccination rates and the fact that immunity doesn't last. 

As for what happens in the longer term... I really can't predict. I wouldn't be surprised if the world became more unstable, period, and I have no idea if COVID is going to be the determining factor for that. 

• Like 1

This isn’t exactly “personal experience”, but I wanna share.

Dh (fully vaccinated) is in TX working on insane amounts of commercial insurance claims with pretty much his whole national team. Today ends the mask mandate, and they’ve already had issues with other people refusing to mask over the past few weeks.

Someone from a different company/aspect of the process flew in WHILE not feeling well. Like, got on a plane sick, then went to a job location with two people from dh’s company. And then tested positive.

So now Dh is down 2 people who have to quarantine, and the company has to pay for one of them to be there. (The other is local.) This poor guy is away from his family and terrified due to multiple major risk factors.

Work is slowed, unbillable expenses accrued, emotional stress added, and potential severe illness is possible. Because someone decided they were special.

• Sad 23

update on neighbor - day 8 of being sick - bad headaches, loss of taste and smell, sinus congestion, and nausea. Cough is better but she feels terrible and has barely eaten in days. She's I think 30 yrs old, right about that, no pre existing conditions, works out, healthy. 

• Sad 13

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

update on neighbor - day 8 of being sick - bad headaches, loss of taste and smell, sinus congestion, and nausea. Cough is better but she feels terrible and has barely eaten in days. She's I think 30 yrs old, right about that, no pre existing conditions, works out, healthy. 

That doesn’t sound good.

It's the lack of thought for others that drives me crazy. No empathy for what medical professionals go through because too many people think it's no big deal. THEY don't see what life is like for an ICU nurse (had a friend post a recent documentary video about the daily burden of the ICU nurse--work a small windowless room with 11 patients all on vents, typically all are there to eventually die and they're not that old--40's and 50's because older patients can't handle vents, nurse staffing goes from 1 on 1 to 1 on 3 because there aren't enough nurses, can't eat all day long because you don't want to risk taking gear off, caring for people through death--you're there when their family can't be, a bed empties and is immediately filled again--it was all so horrible). I don't think you live any Christian values if your primary focus is what's convenient for you and you don't think at all about others. You get no bonus points for being in church if you don't even try to live its values. End rant.

The young teacher I work with who had a relatively mild case around Thanksgiving was telling me she still can't smell right and she's worried that's permanent. Everything has the same smell to her, and it's not pleasant.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 9
  • Sad 5

Dh had an old friend call yesterday. The friend’s wife had COVID and fainted. By the time he found her, she was turning blue. The ambulance took her to the hospital, and she was in an oxygen tent. They were getting ready to put her on a ventilator when she took a turn for the better and avoided it. 

Meanwhile, Friend is home taking care of 4 little boys and worrying about his wife when he notices he can’t taste anything. He gets very sick and is in bed when his boss calls. Yup. They laid him off. He was calling Dh for job leads. 

How sad is that? They are in their 40s. The only reason he was laid off was because he made more money than his coworkers. I brought up an age discrimination suit, but I don’t know if it is worth it. 

• Sad 19