Menu

Personal covid experiences

Terabith

We were driving around with DH last night for our very minimal "date night" and got pulled over  😕 (DH really did manage some sort of illegal maneuver, lol.) 

The police officer was perfectly nice and actually wearing a good mask over both his mouth and nose, and we had masks... but this was also the first close interaction we've had with someone outside our pod since the numbers were considerably lower 😞 . I know it's logically unlikely one would get COVID like this, but it kind of freaked me out... and also reminded us that if we even got into a minor accident, we'd have to go to the hospital, which would be a huge disaster given the numbers. 

So, no more driving dates for us, sigh. Drinking at home it is 😛 . 

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

I had a long time friend of the family pass away last week. He was diagnosed, on a ventilator, and passed within 3 days. 

I'm sorry for your loss. I feel like some of the problems we are having as a nation is that we aren't treating symptoms at an early stage, and then it's...too late...People are getting sent home with "mild symptoms" and not offered appropriate treatments (whatever that may be -- maybe even just Vitamin D and Vitamin C infusions? with a steroid) and told to come back (or not) if it gets worse. And some people are not going in until it is too late because they don't realize they are in dire straits.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Martha in GA said:

I feel like some of the problems we are having as a nation is that we aren't treating symptoms at an early stage, and then it's...too late...People are getting sent home with "mild symptoms" and not offered appropriate treatments (whatever that may be -- maybe even just Vitamin D and Vitamin C infusions? with a steroid) and told to come back (or not) if it gets worse. And some people are not going in until it is too late because they don't realize they are in dire straits.

I think a lot of people are not reporting symptoms or getting tested because (a) the stakes [quarantine of whole family / business etc] are too high if you test positive, (b) people understand that most can recover without medical intervention, and (c) for some, there is a fear of catching Covid from the contact involved in getting tested.  Then for those who end up really sick, they have missed opportunities to mitigate problems.

I think it would be helpful for CDC / health departments to broadcast useful info for people who decide to treat themselves at home.  I haven't seen that - I've only seen some advice on facebook, which, as we all know, has credibility issues.

Also, just from this thread, I gather that even people tested and diagnosed are being given vastly different advice from medical professionals.  Maybe some of this is because of individual differences, but I wonder.  Is the medical profession doing a good enough job of sharing information?

• Like 5

So here is our experience so far. Dd19 started new job in a law office, very small, one room type thing. Lawyer lives above office with his family. His kids are in a private school- no masks, and routinely hang out in office. There is one other employee who also works part time. No one but dd wears a mask. She spends one 5 hour stint sitting right next     To the other employee for training.

Wednesday dd comes home and says lawyer and kids not feeling well.

Friday morning she gets the call to not come in to work, lawyer and family woke up can’t smell or taste. They go right away for test. Other office worker has no symptoms. I try to schedule dd a test, they say she can test Monday but won’t find out til Friday, which will have been 10 days from exposure- so testing seems kind of pointless. In meantime all other members of our household who work call their jobs, everyone told to come to work unless they have symptoms.

Saturday I wake up feeling crummy, the two scheduled to work feel fine so they go. Later in the day ds10 says his head feels like it fell asleep (tingly like when your foot falls asleep) and in the evening   dd17, who went to work has a headache and goes to bed. Could all be a coincidence.

sunday dd17 and ds10 wake up feeling fine, no one has to work today, but everyone except dd19 that works in the law office has to work tomorrow. 

Dd19 has not had any symptoms of anything.

ETA: other office mate now saying she can’t taste or smell

Edited by saraha
  • Sad 15

1 hour ago, Martha in GA said:

I'm sorry for your loss. I feel like some of the problems we are having as a nation is that we aren't treating symptoms at an early stage, and then it's...too late...People are getting sent home with "mild symptoms" and not offered appropriate treatments (whatever that may be -- maybe even just Vitamin D and Vitamin C infusions? with a steroid) and told to come back (or not) if it gets worse. And some people are not going in until it is too late because they don't realize they are in dire straits.

Except that the standard of care for mild symptoms is supportive care.  There is no standard specific treatment for mild covid.  Steroids show benefit only for those sick enough to be needing oxygen.  I have not seen any evidence to support vitamin infusions for mild symptoms, and this is certainly not standard of care.  Monoclonal antibody therapy is promising, but still somewhat experimental and definitely not standard of care at this time.

Hospitals are packed - they can't admit patients with mild symptoms just in case they get sicker.  There is literally nowhere to put them.  And there is risk in hospital admission itself - nosocomial infections, increased delirium, increased falls, medical error etc.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I know it's logically unlikely one would get COVID like this, but it kind of freaked me out... and also reminded us that if we even got into a minor accident, we'd have to go to the hospital, which would be a huge disaster given the numbers. 

So, no more driving dates for us, sigh. Drinking at home it is 😛 . 

We stopped unnecessary trips when numbers got high and DH had firsthand information about how many patients were being diverted to other hospitals due to working in the ED. We also have a  kid with a permit and a huge uptick in road rage. It feels like a huge gamble to drive. I feel really bad not letting my son drive right now, but people are so aggressive right now (mixed with stupid—we have people playing chicken on the road or driving in figure eights in pairs around cars, and in a few incidents in the last couple of years, shooting people while driving). This is on a large and heavily traveled interstate highway with four lanes each direction. 

• Sad 9

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

We stopped unnecessary trips when numbers got high and DH had firsthand information about how many patients were being diverted to other hospitals due to working in the ED. We also have a  kid with a permit and a huge uptick in road rage. It feels like a huge gamble to drive. I feel really bad not letting my son drive right now, but people are so aggressive right now (mixed with stupid—we have people playing chicken on the road or driving in figure eights in pairs around cars, and in a few incidents in the last couple of years, shooting people while driving). This is on a large and heavily traveled interstate highway with four lanes each direction. 

Yeah, we should have probably stopped earlier. In our defense, numbers in the Northeast have only really gotten scary recently. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, we should have probably stopped earlier. In our defense, numbers in the Northeast have only really gotten scary recently. 

Oh, please don’t feel defensive. Just chiming in with our reasons which are a mix of factors—if we had sleepy little roads, I might not have calculated the risk the same way. 

• Like 1

Just now, kbutton said:

Oh, please don’t feel defensive. Just chiming in with our reasons which are a mix of factors—if we had sleepy little roads, I might not have calculated the risk the same way. 

Well, I currently feel both nervous and stupid, lol. So you're not making me defensive -- I just feel silly. We should have known better. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Well, I currently feel both nervous and stupid, lol. So you're not making me defensive -- I just feel silly. We should have known better. 

Just for perspective: there are 3 times as many fatalities through household accidents than through car accidents. As many people die in falls as in car crashes.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

Just for perspective: there are 3 times as many fatalities through household accidents than through car accidents. As many people die in falls as in car crashes.

Now let's calculate per hour. For people my age. In apartments without stairs. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

That is not something I’ve heard before. Thanks! We have one child with significant coordination issues (and lots of ADHD that interferes with self-monitoring) so I now feel much more justified in my harping on careful movement in our home, lol! We actually tie some things to driving and have for a long time—“If you insist on squeezing through that door at the same time as I do, you are not going to be allowed to drive my car.” 

Just now, kbutton said:

That is not something I’ve heard before. Thanks! We have one child with significant coordination issues (and lots of ADHD that interferes with self-monitoring) so I now feel much more justified in my harping on careful movement in our home, lol! We actually tie some things to driving and have for a long time—“If you insist on squeezing through that door at the same time as I do, you are not going to be allowed to drive my car.” 

I'm currently looking at this statistic per age, lol. 

55 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Finally found a good reference: 

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/deaths-by-demographics/deaths-by-age/data-details/

So, for example, I'm 36, and this chart suggests that there are about 50 deaths from falls in a year for this age. However, there are 500 deaths by motor vehicle. 

It flips for older ages, though: if you're 70, there were 300 or so deaths by vehicle and 400 deaths by falls. 

So... for your child, I'd definitely worry about cars more than falls, lol. For the 70+ year olds in your life, it's a bit different. 

(I didn't check this site thoroughly, so if it's off, please tell me. But those figures do seem reasonable to me.) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Finally found a good reference: 

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/deaths-by-demographics/deaths-by-age/data-details/

So, for example, I'm 36, and this chart suggests that there are about 50 deaths from falls in a year for this age. However, there are 500 deaths by motor vehicle. 

It flips for older ages, though: if you're 70, there were 300 or so deaths by vehicle and 400 deaths by falls. 

So... for your child, I'd definitely worry about cars more than falls, lol. For the 70+ year olds in your life, it's a bit different. 

(I didn't check this site thoroughly, so if it's off, please tell me. But those figures do seem reasonable to me.) 

I'm looking at that chart. 

Why is poisoning so far above everything else over such a broad age range?   And why isn't it higher among young children?  That one doesn't seem logical.

Nevermind, I see that opioid deaths are counted in poisonings. 

6 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I'm looking at that chart. 

Why is poisoning so far above everything else over such a broad age range?   And why isn't it higher among young children?  That one doesn't seem logical.

Nevermind, I see that opioid deaths are counted in poisonings. 

Poisonings also likely include suicides by intentional overdose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

My cousin-in-laws wife is recovering from Covid. She has not given a lot of details on when and where she caught it, but...she was doing lots of restaurant dining, shopping, visiting indoors with family over the holidays. 

She did not require hospital admission, but did have to go to hospital for breathing treatments a few times. She said she was basically out of it for 10 days. It is obvious that she lost a bunch of weight in that time. Not to be unkind, but she is a very, very overweight person, so small weightloss isn't very noticeable. (Before anyone jumps me, I am fat, too).  But...you can tell she lost weight from being sick. Like, it's super obvious. 

Standard warning from her, as a new covid survivor: "You don't want Covid. It is bad". 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, MissLemon said:

My cousin-in-laws wife is recovering from Covid. She has not given a lot of details on when and where she caught it, but...she was doing lots of restaurant dining, shopping, visiting indoors with family over the holidays. 

She did not require hospital admission, but did have to go to hospital for breathing treatments a few times. She said she was basically out of it for 10 days. It is obvious that she lost a bunch of weight in that time. Not to be unkind, but she is a very, very overweight person, so small weightloss isn't very noticeable. (Before anyone jumps me, I am fat, too).  But...you can tell she lost weight from being sick. Like, it's super obvious. 

Standard warning from her, as a new covid survivor: "You don't want Covid. It is bad". 

I really really don't want COVID.  But as someone who is overweight and can't lose weight for anything, don't tempt me!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

19 hours ago, wathe said:

Except that the standard of care for mild symptoms is supportive care.  There is no standard specific treatment for mild covid.  Steroids show benefit only for those sick enough to be needing oxygen.  I have not seen any evidence to support vitamin infusions for mild symptoms, and this is certainly not standard of care.  Monoclonal antibody therapy is promising, but still somewhat experimental and definitely not standard of care at this time.

Hospitals are packed - they can't admit patients with mild symptoms just in case they get sicker.  There is literally nowhere to put them.  And there is risk in hospital admission itself - nosocomial infections, increased delirium, increased falls, medical error etc.

I had a patient with a posterior-inferior MI the other day.  Finding him an open ICU bed after the cath(our local 25 person ICU is full minus the one bed they leave open for post cardiac arrests) within a three hour drive was difficult.

We are telling people with mild symptoms of anything to stay home. Not refusing ambulance transport but strongly advising against them deciding to go.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

On 12/26/2020 at 11:34 AM, mlktwins said:

And...I just heard from her.  Her mom now has Covid and the nursing home won't even let her talk to her on the phone.  Her old neighbor works there though and let her talk to her on the neighbor's phone.  Said she sounds congested and is just praying she is ok.  

Update:  The nursing home let my "friend" in all geared up to be with her mom because her mom was in really bad shape.  She spent time over several days there.  Then she received a call that her mom was doing better so she couldn't come anymore.  My "friend" is in quarantine at home to be safe.  She received a call this morning that her mom passed.  That is both parents lost to Covid (March 2020 and January 2021) and her sister also lost in March on the same day her dad died.  I just cannot even imagine!  She is 62, so not young, but is handling all the estate stuff by herself.  

• Sad 29

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

Update:  The nursing home let my "friend" in all geared up to be with her mom because her mom was in really bad shape.  She spent time over several days there.  Then she received a call that her mom was doing better so she couldn't come anymore.  My "friend" is in quarantine at home to be safe.  She received a call this morning that her mom passed.  That is both parents lost to Covid (March 2020 and January 2021) and her sister also lost in March on the same day her dad died.  I just cannot even imagine!  She is 62, so not young, but is handling all the estate stuff by herself.  

This is so sad!

I am looking at my university's COVID numbers for 2020:  We had 1457 student cases and 197 employee cases (1654 total).  This represents about 13% of the campus!  Three of those cases resulted in hospitalization, with one death.  

I know the one death was a faculty member in his late 60's who did not become infected on campus (occurred during the summer and he had not been on campus in several months).  So, some of what is being counted as "campus" cases means the person had a relationship with the University, not that the case was related to the person being on campus.  

We have had 31 cases reported for 2021 (11 students and 20 employees), and the campus has been on break.  

I have hesitated to update about my condition but I will in case it helps anyone else.  I did a video call with a doctor who suggested that anemia might be the route cause of my lingering issues.  I had previously come across some info that anemia is fairly common after covid because of the way the red blood cells are affected.  The doctor did suggest I go in for blood work but that left me with only an ER option and I just wasn't willing to do that at the time.   

I am comfortable treating anemia naturally and have before such as after child birth and I figured it wouldn't hurt. I would NOT suggest synthetic iron pills without blood work but I used liquid chlorophyll and liver capsules. I had the chlorophyll on hand so while waiting for the other to come by Amazon, I started. Within 12 hours if the chlorophyll I could sit up and do some school at the table. I started the liver right when it came and now 6 days later I feel pretty much normal.  Just a little tired. Yesterday by headache came back around 9pm but I hadn't even napped all day and had been making dinner, playing games with kids etc a day.   For those who don't remember, I had been basically bed ridden for over a month. The day I started I hurt so bad I couldn't even sit up on the couch.  The improvement was drastic and if I hadn't lived it myself I might not actually believe it. 

I would consider placebo effect except that I had tried at least 6 other supplements with either no improvement or only very mild improvement that was temporary.

• Like 30

4 hours ago, busymama7 said:

I have hesitated to update about my condition but I will in case it helps anyone else.  I did a video call with a doctor who suggested that anemia might be the route cause of my lingering issues.  I had previously come across some info that anemia is fairly common after covid because of the way the red blood cells are affected.  The doctor did suggest I go in for blood work but that left me with only an ER option and I just wasn't willing to do that at the time.   

I am comfortable treating anemia naturally and have before such as after child birth and I figured it wouldn't hurt. I would NOT suggest synthetic iron pills without blood work but I used liquid chlorophyll and liver capsules. I had the chlorophyll on hand so while waiting for the other to come by Amazon, I started. Within 12 hours if the chlorophyll I could sit up and do some school at the table. I started the liver right when it came and now 6 days later I feel pretty much normal.  Just a little tired. Yesterday by headache came back around 9pm but I hadn't even napped all day and had been making dinner, playing games with kids etc a day.   For those who don't remember, I had been basically bed ridden for over a month. The day I started I hurt so bad I couldn't even sit up on the couch.  The improvement was drastic and if I hadn't lived it myself I might not actually believe it. 

I would consider placebo effect except that I had tried at least 6 other supplements with either no improvement or only very mild improvement that was temporary.

I'm really glad this helped!!! Please keep us updated!! 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Well, I don’t like coming back her to update, but...

my wonderful precious sweet stepmom had to sign a DNR for her father who is in his late 80s and is hospitalized with Covid. It looks very bad. She is so sad. I hate this disease.

Oh, goodness 😞 . 

I'm really sorry. 

11 hours ago, busymama7 said:

So glad to hear this!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mlktwins said:

That’s a lot of grieving to deal with over a short space of time 😞 

11 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Well, I don’t like coming back her to update, but...

my wonderful precious sweet stepmom had to sign a DNR for her father who is in his late 80s and is hospitalized with Covid. It looks very bad. She is so sad. I hate this disease.

Mr. H, my stepmoms father, passed away at 5:30 this morning.

• Sad 26

On 1/10/2021 at 12:55 PM, saraha said:

So here is our experience so far. Dd19 started new job in a law office, very small, one room type thing. Lawyer lives above office with his family. His kids are in a private school- no masks, and routinely hang out in office. There is one other employee who also works part time. No one but dd wears a mask. She spends one 5 hour stint sitting right next     To the other employee for training.

Wednesday dd comes home and says lawyer and kids not feeling well.

Friday morning she gets the call to not come in to work, lawyer and family woke up can’t smell or taste. They go right away for test. Other office worker has no symptoms. I try to schedule dd a test, they say she can test Monday but won’t find out til Friday, which will have been 10 days from exposure- so testing seems kind of pointless. In meantime all other members of our household who work call their jobs, everyone told to come to work unless they have symptoms.

Saturday I wake up feeling crummy, the two scheduled to work feel fine so they go. Later in the day ds10 says his head feels like it fell asleep (tingly like when your foot falls asleep) and in the evening   dd17, who went to work has a headache and goes to bed. Could all be a coincidence.

sunday dd17 and ds10 wake up feeling fine, no one has to work today, but everyone except dd19 that works in the law office has to work tomorrow. 

Dd19 has not had any symptoms of anything.

ETA: other office mate now saying she can’t taste or smell

Well, now it’s Tuesday, dd went yesterday to get a test, dh went today. Interesting note they only swabbed one side of dds nose, but both sides of dh’s nose. Today dd is congested, I am still sick and this evening I couldn’t smell the dinner I was cooking. No one else in the house has reported any ill feelings. I about had myself convinced that we didn’t have it, till this evening.

ETA: bil and sil that attended same party as dd19’s boss- bil tested positive sil tested negative. I just don’t understand how bil could pick it up from somewhere but not give it to sil

Edited by saraha
  • Sad 10

My 24 year old son woke up at noon with uncontrollable vomiting. He works nights, but hasn’t been to work since Friday. 

By 2:00 he was lying on the bathroom floor moaning. I was able to get a tele appointment with his doctor who said he is at risk for needing to go to the ER for fluids because he is so dehydrated and being underweight doesn’t help. 

I just got him some suppositories to hopefully stop the vomiting and then maybe he can hold down some chicken broth or pedialyte. We will try to schedule a COVID test tomorrow. His doctor said that we all need to quarantine on the assumption that is what he has until we get a negative test result. 

• Sad 29

31 minutes ago, Amy Gen said:

I just got him some suppositories to hopefully stop the vomiting and then maybe he can hold down some chicken broth or pedialyte.

My daughter just went through vomiting and had diarrhea. She had severe stomach pains as well, but I was not sure if this was because she was so hungry.  Maybe we should have done teledoc, but she had a covid test scheduled late that afternoon. I felt she should not wait that long, so went in to ER.  They took her in with no problem. She had several tests run including covid, which came back several hours later, positive.  They gave her anti-nausea meds and sent her home.

So I am curious, how does a suppository stop nausea? 

What over the counter meds help for nausea?  We aren't ones to typically use over the counter meds, so I do not think of these.

She said the anti-nausea meds helped greatly.  She was able to start eating more the next day and 10 days later is eating fine and gained strength back.  So far she has not had any other symptoms or problems 🤞.  I zoomed with her, and she looks kind of tired to me still and I have cautioned her to take things slowly.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, ***** said:

So I am curious, how does a suppository stop nausea? 

What over the counter meds help for nausea?  We aren't ones to typically use over the counter meds, so I do not think of these.

I'm assuming it was a prescription medication - same stuff as you normally take orally can be given via suppository. The meds get absorbed via the mucus membranes. That way if someone can't keep oral meds down they can do that. (you can also get tylenol suppositorties)

• Like 2

I gave him the zofran as soon as he got up. He threw up the dissolving tablet so I told him to take another one. When he was still throwing up, I gave him phenagran and when he threw that up, the doctor prescribed a suppository called Compro, which I hadn’t heard of before. I do think it slowed down his vomiting and now he is now able to sleep. 

I’ve never understood why anti nausea drugs seem to all be prescription. 

Growing up, we had something, maybe Phenagran suppositories in the door of the refrigerator in case someone was really unable to keep anything down. When I had my own kids, I asked the pediatrician about getting something like that and she said,”Oh, we don’t do that anymore.” 

I’m so glad that as a cancer patient, I have a life time supply of antiemetics. 

Maybe that is my Fortunately. 

• Sad 6

Update: oldest son who stayed in the room with our parent zero took his last covid test to be released tomorrow. 8 negative tests in the last 18 days. Grateful to be in a state I can get testing (I have to be aggressive but I can get them)! DH and I also tested this week and were negative as well. My father got his first vaccine today. My mother on my request tried to get them to give her one too since they just changed the age recommendation to 65 and older. No luck sadly. But she's on the list to get it. 

• Like 10

I waited to post this because I wasn't sure how it would come out.  Things are looking mostly resolved now.

My cousin's wife had a bad case of Covid and was in the ICU on New Year's Eve, when my cousin asked for prayers on facebook.  It was looking very scary.  About a week ago I learned she was improving.  Today he posted that she is out of ICU, off the vent, off oxygen, and out of the Covid ward.  Her lungs are clear, but she is going for some kind of rehabilitation before coming home.

I don't know wife's age or whether she has any pre-existing issues.  I have not met her, but I believe my cousin is in his 60s, so I assume she is around that age as well.  They live near Philadelphia PA.

I believe my cousin and his family have been pretty careful, as he was always posting "be safe / wear masks" type posts on fb.  Either his wife or daughter is a nurse (maybe both).  I'm not going to ask him how his wife caught Covid or any other intrusive questions.  Just wanting to say that I doubt this was a careless case.  If he ever decides to share how the exposure happened, and if it seems relevant, I'll update.

• Like 5