Menu

Personal covid experiences

Terabith

1 minute ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I had to call ambulance for dh while ago.  He went to use the bathroom and collapsed by the bed, said he couldn’t breathe.   EMTs came, oxygen was 91 but was going up with deep breaths.   They said his lungs sounded ‘junky’.  He hasn’t been coughing or having breathing problems at all.  Anyway, he told them he wanted to stay home and we’ll call again if needed.  His ox was going up and his blood pressure was perfect.   So I guess we’ll see what happens.  Prayers and good thoughts are certainly appreciated.  

Yikes! I’ve said a quick prayer! How scary for y’all!

were all mostly better here. I am out of quarantine and I’m feeling soooo much better. But I do tire more easily than normal.

my dh, however is still struggling. It’s really hit him hard. Still running fevers on and off and woke up vomiting in the night. Slept most of today and looks terrible. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 14

4 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I had to call ambulance for dh while ago.  He went to use the bathroom and collapsed by the bed, said he couldn’t breathe.   EMTs came, oxygen was 91 but was going up with deep breaths.   They said his lungs sounded ‘junky’.  He hasn’t been coughing or having breathing problems at all.  Anyway, he told them he wanted to stay home and we’ll call again if needed.  His ox was going up and his blood pressure was perfect.   So I guess we’ll see what happens.  Prayers and good thoughts are certainly appreciated.  

I’m sending good thoughts your way and hoping for quick healing. Having to call an ambulance must have been so scary for all of you. Hugs.

2 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

were all mostly better here. I am out of quarantine and I’m feeling soooo much better. But I do tire more easily than normal.

my dh, however is still struggling. It’s really hit him hard. Still running fevers on and off and woke up vomiting in the night. Slept most of today and looks terrible. 

I’m glad to hear you are feeling better and hope your husband is soon, too.

2 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Hoping that he stays better and starts improving. 

On 12/25/2020 at 7:31 PM, Not_a_Number said:

Aaaaah. 

I’m sorry your family is so silly.

The situation is unfortunate, but not unexpected. The post a lot of angry, ranting fake news about Covid. I've been expecting them to come down with it, to be honest.  Now we just get to see how bad they get it.

• Sad 3

Sending good thoughts to everyone going through it right now.

My 22yo says he feels 100% now, but he’s also started to let on that he had been doing worse than he was sharing. His 02 did drop below 90 a couple of times, but the hospital advised him not to go in. I assume that was reasonable triage for his area given the circumstances, but it gutted me to hear.

• Sad 9

8 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

I hope your DH recovers quickly 😞 . I’m glad you’re feeling better, though.

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

This threads gets more and more depressing by the day 😕 . So many preventable illnesses and deaths...

ETA: I don’t mean preventable by individuals... rather by collective action as a society.

I’m honestly afraid to even open this thread anymore. 😞 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

So should I be washing Dh's sheets every day with bleach to kill the bugs?  That is what my mom just texted me.   Y'all.  Dh can't even LEAN up.  Wth am I supposed to do?  Roll him into the floor, wash sheets and spread that crap everywhere, and then pick him back up and put him on the bed again??    He washed all his bedding himself on Tuesday when he felt so good.   Am I really supposed to do that every freaking day when I'm not sure what's going to happen to him????.

I ended up doing that when I had covid, but if you can't physically do it, then you just can't. Didn't he just come home from the hospital? Did they send him home too early?

9 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

So should I be washing Dh's sheets every day with bleach to kill the bugs?  That is what my mom just texted me.   Y'all.  Dh can't even LEAN up.  Wth am I supposed to do?  Roll him into the floor, wash sheets and spread that crap everywhere, and then pick him back up and put him on the bed again??    He washed all his bedding himself on Tuesday when he felt so good.   Am I really supposed to do that every freaking day when I'm not sure what's going to happen to him????.

I can't imagine why anyone would need to wash his sheets unless he gets them dirty somehow.  This is an airborne disease; he is spreading the virus through the air.    Anything you can do to improve ventilation in his room -- crack a window, run an air purifier -- will help reduce the viral load in the air and make it less likely that anyone in your home who hasn't already caught the virus will get it.

I also don't quite recall the current consensus on how many days after symptom onset a person is no longer thought to be contagious, but your DH may be getting to that point.  This would be a good question to ask the doctor.

I hope he feels much better very soon!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Ok, when I give him his Tylenol in a second, I'll open a window.  That had slipped my mind, so thank you for mentioning that.  
Oh, no sheets are soiled, except from sweat, I suppose.    

Edited...  I'm whining.

I wouldn’t be touching those sheets if I didn’t have to. Contamination. If they are soiled, that’s one thing...but otherwise leave them be.

If you have to change them, I would crack a window and put a fan in it drawing air out of the room to outside, then put the sheets into a garbage bag to sit for a few days before washing on high heat. I’d put fresh sheets on if he couldn’t do it himself, then shower and change my clothes and mask.

But, honestly, if you have no need to be in his room, don’t go.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thatboyofmine said:

No way!   Surface transmission risk is low anyway and the more you’re in and out the room the more risk to you.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

No way!   Surface transmission risk is low anyway and the more you’re in and out the room the more risk to you.  

Not only that but he isn't giving it to himself in isolation with his own sheets.   I think people get confused at why medical professionals do certain things.  If he was battling mrsa or staph or something then yes if course changing and bleaching sheets would be necessary. But not for this. 

• Like 5

My college age son has lost over 20 lbs since having covid in early November. He didn't have any to lose. He was at a good weight when he came home from his mission in May but lost 10 lbs over the summer without trying. Just being home and healthier food is all we can figure.  But he is looking WAY too skinny now.  He has no appetite. Its the only lingering symptom he has.  We didn't realize how bad it was until he got on a scale this am when I realized how big his pants were.  We pushed food today but not sure what else to do.  He's not really having any GI issues that are out of normal. 

• Sad 13

3 hours ago, busymama7 said:

My college age son has lost over 20 lbs since having covid in early November. He didn't have any to lose. He was at a good weight when he came home from his mission in May but lost 10 lbs over the summer without trying. Just being home and healthier food is all we can figure.  But he is looking WAY too skinny now.  He has no appetite. Its the only lingering symptom he has.  We didn't realize how bad it was until he got on a scale this am when I realized how big his pants were.  We pushed food today but not sure what else to do.  He's not really having any GI issues that are out of normal. 

I have two thoughts on this that may be unhelpful but worth a try. Is his sense of taste completely back to normal?  If smell and taste signals aren’t working properly he may be eating less.  Secondly did you end up supplementing with zinc?  Zinc deficiency can cause appetite loss and excess zinc can cause mild nausea and diarrhoea both of which could cause weight loss. Anyway just a thought.  Hopefully he gets back to normal eventually.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I have two thoughts on this that may be unhelpful but worth a try. Is his sense of taste completely back to normal?  If smell and taste signals aren’t working properly he may be eating less.  Secondly did you end up supplementing with zinc?  Zinc deficiency can cause appetite loss and excess zinc can cause mild nausea and diarrhoea both of which could cause weight loss. Anyway just a thought.  Hopefully he gets back to normal eventually.

He never lost taste or smell. He had a sore throat for weeks and weeks but it's gone now.  I supplemented with zinc and am still taking it but he did not.  I am going to set him up with a new set of vitamins and will include zinc.  Thank you.  

• Like 1

I am still just spending most of my day in bed.  Reclining causes it to be hard to breathe so hanging out downstairs with the family is limited. I'm just more comfortable in my bed.   I'm still so tired and achy and get headaches nearly daily that are so painful. I just keep hoping that if I rest this week I will be able to go back to homeschooling next week.   

• Sad 20

28 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

I am still just spending most of my day in bed.  Reclining causes it to be hard to breathe so hanging out downstairs with the family is limited. I'm just more comfortable in my bed.   I'm still so tired and achy and get headaches nearly daily that are so painful. I just keep hoping that if I rest this week I will be able to go back to homeschooling next week.   

Please continue to rest and take care of yourself! (Hugs)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, busymama7 said:

Rest.  

Personal note: My amazing doc, who got me through a brain infection and being bedbound for longer than you want to know used to say, “give yourself permission to be sick.”  Something about that permission was magical, because once I stopped fighting it so hard, and ended the daily over-doing ... it helped tremendously.  So ...

Please rest, and give yourself permission to rest.  It’s what will help your body and family the most.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

My dh is a bit better today but still  sick. I'm taking him to the doctor tomorrow. I feel pretty sure he has pneumonia. His oxygen levels are very good though, so I feel okay about waiting for tomorrow. 

A late 40s lady from our church collapsed in her home this morning. Her adult niece who lives with her called 911; they feel pretty sure it's Covid. The lady cares for her father who has dementia, so her sister came to stay with dad. This woman has no preexisting conditions. She's in excellent shape and generally very healthy. 

I hate this disease.

• Sad 13

Just now, fairfarmhand said:

My dh is a bit better today but still  sick. I'm taking him to the doctor tomorrow. I feel pretty sure he has pneumonia. His oxygen levels are very good though, so I feel okay about waiting for tomorrow. 

A late 40s lady from our church collapsed in her home this morning. Her adult niece who lives with her called 911; they feel pretty sure it's Covid. The lady cares for her father who has dementia, so her sister came to stay with dad. This woman has no preexisting conditions. She's in excellent shape and generally very healthy. 

I hate this disease.

I’m sorry your DH is still sick 😞 . I hope he feels better soon... the doctor seems like a good idea.

How are you feeling?

5 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I’m sorry your DH is still sick 😞 . I hope he feels better soon... the doctor seems like a good idea.

How are you feeling?

I feel pretty much over it, except for a level of fatigue that is not my normal. I typically get 15000 steps in a day, which includes an intense 20-30 minute workout including weight training each day. And I can keep up that pace throughout a normal day. But now, just normal cooking, cleaning, and chores makes me tired enough that I need a little snooze of 20-30 minutes in the afternoon to make it through till supper time without feeling overwhelmed with fatigue. And I'm not getting my normal steps or a workout in. It's okay, I know that it takes time; I'm going with what my body tells me to do; thankfully, we're off school for Christmas break and that means that I can rest when I need to and keep up with things that need to be done. 

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, fairfarmhand said:

I feel pretty much over it, except for a level of fatigue that is not my normal. I typically get 15000 steps in a day, which includes an intense 20-30 minute workout including weight training each day. And I can keep up that page throughout a normal day. But now, just normal cooking, cleaning, and chores makes me tired enough that I need a little snooze of 20-30 minutes in the afternoon to make it through till supper time without feeling overwhelmed with fatigue. And I'm not getting my normal steps or a workout in. It's okay, I know that it takes time; I'm going with what my body tells me to do; thankfully, we're off school for Christmas break and that means that I can rest when I need to and keep up with things that need to be done. 

Sounds like you’re on the mend, though, thankfully.

I had the flu last year, I think — at least, I had a fever for a few days, which doesn’t usually happen with colds for me — and it took me more than a month to really come back to normal. I was EXHAUSTED for a long time.

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1

My family got tested Sunday morning since we had been in contact with our close friends whose oldest son got COVID a week ago.  We're all negative still.  Their whole family also got tested yesterday.  Their younger son, the one who comes to me everyday to be homeschooled in secular subjects, is now sick (with no symptoms).  Thankfully the last time any of us saw him (and their family) was last-last Saturday (the Saturday before Christmas) because we had a school break and then my DH took me away on a getaway Christmas week (that thankfully required testing both before and during the trip).  I'm still going to get one more test Tuesday since I have it scheduled.  It will be day 7 after my trip. 

The young man who comes to me had a runny nose the day before we took our holiday break Dec 16 - they didn't test then.  He and we wear a mask while he is at our home.  They think it was either a get together the oldest had with people who were from out of town (and likely don't mask) or the younger infecting the older.  

Their mom said the oldest will go back to school on Wednesday.

Dodging bullets. Not fun at all!

Edited by YaelAldrich
new news
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, fairfarmhand said:

I hate this disease.

I can’t remember how long since your dh was diagnosed but we have started giving monoclonal antibody therapy to some people here so wondered if that was an option.

• Like 1

Oh gosh.  He just came home from work and can't taste or smell. He did not lose those senses during his illness the beginning of November.   I loaded him up with vitamins.  He's home another 10 days before going back to college.  He also has a lot of fatigue but not as much as me as in he's able to make it through a day of work.  

• Sad 9

Going on a bike ride with a few other families. We will keep or distance but honestly they shouldn't be an issue for us since all three other families had it in October or early November and should be immune. Yes, they were tested. No long lasting side effects. They are all back to normal except I hadn't heard if one particular adult got their taste and smell back. 

ETA It is just strange to think we are the only ones in the group who will not have had it.

Edited by frogger
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, TCB said:

I can’t remember how long since your dh was diagnosed but we have started giving monoclonal antibody therapy to some people here so wondered if that was an option.

The major healthcare system in my city is also doing it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/23/health/coronavirus-antibody-drugs.html

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

Just now, Thatboyofmine said:

What is too low for your oxygen level, if you're only feeling mild shortness of breath?   

Does albuterol help with shortness of breath?   

I do NOT like the implications of this question 😕 . What's going on? 

I think with COVID, people can have dangerously low oxygen levels even without much shortness of breath. I'd pay attention to the oxygen levels however one is feeling. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I'm sorry, meant to quote you. They put him on breathing treatments every 4 hours, has only taken one, next one at 9pm.   Round the clock, even if he's sleeping.   But he's tried to walk and can't.   His pulse ox finger thing I got today has gone up to 95/95 earlier, but now it won't go out of the 80's.  Like 84, 86, etc.   He said he is trying to deep breathe like EMTs told him, but it's not affecting the pulse ox number.   He is sitting up watching tv, so it's not like he's not breathing at all.  

Everyone else is right. Hospital, now. 

I remember reading about this. People would have ridiculously low oxygen levels while still smiling, talking, whatever. It did NOT mean they weren't in danger. 

• Like 7

My son had a pulse ox in the 80s and then it went up to 90s with a Albuterol.  If it hadn’t he would have been admitted.

Not same-same — he was little and had bronchiolitis.  

But to me it sounds concerning and like he should go back to the doctor, a “call 911” level if he you can’t get him in the car.

I don’t “know” at all — just my opinion!

Thinking of you!!!!!

Edited by Lecka

Ok, I got him walking in the bedroom a bit to see if it'll go up. 
Ok, it does go up some with him walking, so that's good, like 92.  Walking around feels like there's a refrigerator on his chest.  Laying in bed stays between 82 and 89.  

I'd keep a CLOSE eye on it. And I'd probably override him if it stays low, frankly. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

That sounds too low to me.  

Just my experience with my son when he had albuterol every 4 hours — he would get worse and worse over the 4 hours, and then immediately do noticeably better after the treatment.

I’m concerned this level is low so soon after he has had the albuterol, and he can’t have more for a couple hours.

If I read correctly, sorry if I didn’t!

When I had Covid, ER told me that anything above 90 is safe. So, those 80 numbers are not ok. When I go to ER, mine was 89 and they started an IV, gave me a steroid shot in the IV, ran a CT scan, and sent me home with 5 prescriptions. CT showed pnuemonia. You know the "crushed glass" look that we kept hearing about in the beginning? That's how my lungs felt.

• Like 6

I guess we are just so disgusted with our ER.  When I called his doctor's office today (they sent out the nebulizer & albuterol), even the nurse said, "if you have to take him to the ER  [of our local hospital], they'll have to send him to xxx or xxx or somewhere else because our hospital is at capacity, which is a good thing for him to be sent elsewhere".   😳.  I mean, even the nurse of the number one doctors office in our town said that.  🤦🏻‍♀️

Is there another ER you could go to?? That does sound unhelpful. 

• Like 2