Menu

Class of 2021 College Acceptances

Dmmetler

58 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

It seems around here that similar kids with tests got in and without tests didn’t. So I am not sure I agree, but thank you for the details!

That really stinks.  I’m so very sorry to hear that.  College admissions does seem to be based largely on black magic sometimes.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hadley said:

That really stinks.  I’m so very sorry to hear that.  College admissions does seem to be based largely on black magic sometimes.  

Congrats to your boy!!! Well deserved.

yes, it’s all over the place. My friend’s DD is trying to figure out if it’s worth driving over state lines for a test. It just might be worth it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

yes, it’s all over the place. My friend’s DD is trying to figure out if it’s worth driving over state lines for a test. It just might be worth it. 

I agree that it is worth the drive if it’s at all possible.  I so hope your friend’s daughter ends up at a college she loves.  This dang pandemic is tough in so many ways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

If she is a decent test-taker, yes, it's likely worth the drive.

• Like 2

DS has been has been accepted to all 5 of the rolling admissions schools he applied to: Rockhurst University, Quincy University, St. Louis University, Marquette University, and Drake University. He has 4 more schools to go but their announcements aren't until Marchish; one of which he still has to complete the supplemental essay. He definitely has felt the burden of supplemental essays, so much that he did not apply for any institutional scholarships. This last essay is the equivalent of a Common App essay; in fact, his common app essay would have worked for it. That said he grinds forward on it.

Just a note, he decided to apply test optional to 3 of the 4 remaining schools. His test scores did not make the respective school's range but he will graduate in May with an Associate degree and a High School diploma. and has equivalent grades and resume to his sisters It will be interesting to see if he is able to score an acceptance in any of these selective LA schools.

All in all I am personally am grateful that he already has been accepted to one of his top choices. As it is he is our third student to be accepted to this school, we have a sense as to what the FA package will be. Further acceptances will just make the decision making process interest.

Congratulations to everyone for their acceptances.

• Like 16

DS just finished the process for the Trustee Scholarship program at Grove City College.  He applied regular decision and so didn't get an official acceptance yet.  GCC is his first choice and it's a potential full ride.

Life just got very, very complicated with my youngest daughter being diagnosed with leukemia.  She is undergoing treatment inpatient right now. So I am supervising the odds & ends of this college application season from a hospital room!  I still need to fill out the transcript template for UAH - since we didn't have a cover school I am supposed to provide numerical grades. My transcript which was accepted by other schools isn't sufficient 😞Since the automatic scholarship awards have been reduced we might just take it off the table entirely.

Still waiting on word from two state schools.

And DS had one reach school on his list that he wanted to apply to just to see if he could get in.  He still needs to write the supplemental essay for that school.  I told him I wasn't going to remind him anymore - if he really wants to apply he's going to have to take the initiative.  There's no way he can attend there - our EFC is ridiculously high and we won't pay that much even if he did get in.  There are younger siblings to consider so applying for an ego boost isn't very high on my priority list. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Jennay said:

DS just finished the process for the Trustee Scholarship program at Grove City College.  He applied regular decision and so didn't get an official acceptance yet.  GCC is his first choice and it's a potential full ride.

Life just got very, very complicated with my youngest daughter being diagnosed with leukemia.  She is undergoing treatment inpatient right now. So I am supervising the odds & ends of this college application season from a hospital room!  I still need to fill out the transcript template for UAH - since we didn't have a cover school I am supposed to provide numerical grades. My transcript which was accepted by other schools isn't sufficient 😞Since the automatic scholarship awards have been reduced we might just take it off the table entirely.

And DS had one reach school on his list that he wanted to apply to just to see if he could get in.  He still needs to write the supplemental essay for that school.  I told him I wasn't going to remind him anymore - if he really wants to apply he's going to have to take the initiative.  There's no way he can attend there - our EFC is ridiculously high and we won't pay that much even if he did get in.  There are younger siblings to consider so applying for an ego boost isn't very high on my priority list. 

So sorry to hear of your daughter’s diagnosis.  Warm wishes for her successful treatment and speedy healing! 

And what a stressful time to be trying to focus on college applications. Hang in there!

• Like 4

It has been so long since I have been on here. My S20 and S17 left homeschooling for a small B&M school before they began high school, but I stayed on here because I felt more connection to you all who are deeply involved in education than the parents at the school, who generally "leave it to the school." I do think that homeschooling and my continued engagement when they attended the B&M school made a difference. I have two young men who follow the news closely and can talk at length on myriad subjects.

So, college. Many congratulations to everyone on their acceptances! And hugs to denys and defers - I am confident that everyone will find a place that is a good fit for them. S20 already attends and is thriving in the Honors College at the U of South Carolina. S17 was just accepted there as well, along with Clemson and Furman (with Furman's second highest scholarship). Emory is still out there, along with a couple of others.

But the big news is that S17 was accepted EA to Georgetown. This is my child who lives and breathes news and politics and economics. He can give me a fully-updated rundown on every one of the cabinet nominees. He reads books like Freakonomics for fun. He has been stifled living in a small, very conservative Southern town, where he worked on a primary campaign knowing it was a hopeless cause. We know we will have to pay a hefty amount of the hefty tuition, but a can't imagine a location better suited for him. I still want him to visit, even if it is unofficial (in person tours are still on hold). But I think that is where he will end up.

• Like 24

9 hours ago, linders said:

It has been so long since I have been on here. My S20 and S17 left homeschooling for a small B&M school before they began high school, but I stayed on here because I felt more connection to you all who are deeply involved in education than the parents at the school, who generally "leave it to the school." I do think that homeschooling and my continued engagement when they attended the B&M school made a difference. I have two young men who follow the news closely and can talk at length on myriad subjects.

So, college. Many congratulations to everyone on their acceptances! And hugs to denys and defers - I am confident that everyone will find a place that is a good fit for them. S20 already attends and is thriving in the Honors College at the U of South Carolina. S17 was just accepted there as well, along with Clemson and Furman (with Furman's second highest scholarship). Emory is still out there, along with a couple of others.

But the big news is that S17 was accepted EA to Georgetown. This is my child who lives and breathes news and politics and economics. He can give me a fully-updated rundown on every one of the cabinet nominees. He reads books like Freakonomics for fun. He has been stifled living in a small, very conservative Southern town, where he worked on a primary campaign knowing it was a hopeless cause. We know we will have to pay a hefty amount of the hefty tuition, but a can't imagine a location better suited for him. I still want him to visit, even if it is unofficial (in person tours are still on hold). But I think that is where he will end up.

Congratulations to both your sons! Georgetown is a special place. I’m just a little tiny bit envious of anyone who gets to live & learn in that little enclave!

• Like 2

I got a PM asking for S17's stats with respect to getting into Georgetown - I'll share here in case anyone else is interested.

First - no real hooks. No URM, hasn't cured cancer, hasn't done anything at a national level.

Numbers - ACT 35 (one and done), SAT 1550 (his third sitting). Couldn't take SATII, which GT usually wants to see, although they were more flexible this year. Seven APs with 5, a bunch of 4s, and a 3.

ECs - student council exec past 3 years, exec and chair in Interact (our main service org), Boy Scout leader, many service hours with the last 2. Sports, but nothing at state level. Involved in politics - worked on a primary campaign, pollworker, etc. 

I think his passion for politics and economics came through in his essays and interview, and probably in his recs as well.

And in the end, these selective schools really are a bit of a lottery.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2020 at 6:04 PM, Jennay said:

Praying for your family.  

• Like 2

On 12/22/2020 at 5:04 PM, Jennay said:

I hope things go well for your youngest DD.  This year is hard enough. I can't imagine doing it from a hospital room. 

FWIW, My DD's scholarship for UAH was raised after she was accepted, and again after she was accepted to the honors college. It's still not the full ride it would have been a few years back, but she's now back to getting full tuition, which makes it comparable to the automatic merit from in state schools. I don't know if it was just that they changed the matrix again after seeing how many applications they got in the early rounds, and it just happened to hit after she'd done the other paperwork, or if it was because they liked her, but I wouldn't rule out UAH based on money until after acceptance. I know another hive kid has had the same experience this year. Having said that, the fact they want numerical grades and extra stuff might be worth taking it off your list unless they are just plain an ideal choice for your DS. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 6:04 PM, Jennay said:

Yes the UAH is a bit of a pain. I was grieved to have to condense my course descriptions into something like 40 characters. I did have a couple conversations with my kid's admissions counselor, which clarified how to report a numerical grade when I only had letter grades recorded (I used an actual number if I had it. If I didn't have a percentage, I used a mid-range number like 95, 85, unless I felt that his work was well above average (97, 87) or below average (91, 81). Honestly I got the impression that they just wanted something in the block.

The admissions rep also told me that it was acceptable to report a weighted number for Grade Point (GP). This was not evident from the instructions.

• Like 4

My son has been admitted by three colleges:

George Mason University

Worcester Polytechnic Institute

University of Alabama in Huntsville

He applied to each for engineering and with test scores that were strong from sophomore year. He didn't do dual enrollment until senior year, so these admissions were without the benefit of the grades from DE courses.

Now the long wait for the rest of the schools to report back. His #1 choice won't release a decision until April, so it's going to test my patience.

• Like 21

5 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

Yes the UAH is a bit of a pain. I was grieved to have to condense my course descriptions into something like 40 characters. I did have a couple conversations with my kid's admissions counselor, which clarified how to report a numerical grade when I only had letter grades recorded (I used an actual number if I had it. If I didn't have a percentage, I used a mid-range number like 95, 85, unless I felt that his work was well above average (97, 87) or below average (91, 81). Honestly I got the impression that they just wanted something in the block.

The admissions rep also told me that it was acceptable to report a weighted number for Grade Point (GP). This was not evident from the instructions.

Thanks for that info about the weighted GPA.  I still haven't filled out that template.  Just too much going on and UAH isn't at the top of his list. I did submit my original course descriptions and they were accepted.  I couldn't imagine condensing them.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to share the outcome of DD’s applications this year as we are close to being done with the process. I haven’t been active in these boards and have been mostly lurking over the past several years, but wanted to contribute as the information I gathered here was crucial in helping us prepare for homeschooling high school. The yearly admissions thread was always my favorite and often provided encouragement when I was feeling doubtful.

This is the outcome of each one of DD’s applications. She has been homeschooled since 5th Grade.

GA Tech, accepted EA, Stamps Finalist

UNC Chapel Hill, accepted EA, Honors College and Chancellors Semi-Finalist

Emory University, accepted ED, their financial offer fell short of the net price calculator by a significant amount, so had to decline admissions offer. 

NC State Raleigh, accepted EA, Parks Scholarship semi-finalist. 

University of Pittsburgh, accepted, Rolling Admissions, 10k/ year merit scholarship.

The U. of Alabama Tuscaloosa, accepted, Rolling Admissions, Honors College and 28k/year automatic scholarship.

U. of Georgia - deferred during EA, withdrew application shortly after since it’s not a top choice.

U. of Florida - pending but will likely withdraw before decisions come out.

• Like 24

Youngest DS applied and admitted to, with scholarship money at each - Accounting Major:

U of North Florida 

Florida Gulf Coast Univ

Huntingdon College (AL)

U of the Cumberlands (This one would have been nice, because older brother attends here.)

Lees-McRae College

Missouri Baptist U

Iowa Wesleyan U

Missouri Valley College - Has decided to attend this school due to amount of scholarship and has committed to the Wrestling program.

• Like 17

DD just got her official National Merit Finalist certificate in the mail today!  So proud of her!!!!

Update 3/12

Decision made, DD will be attending University of Alabama On the National Merit Scholarship!

I want to say a big Thank You to all the great moms on here who post so much about how this process works.  I never dreamed she would be in this position,  with multiple great offers!  When I started homeschooling my biggest fear was getting her into college- and here we are!  The ladies on this board are amazing mentors, and I appreciate the time you take to post here and guide us!  

Edited by BusyMom5
  • Like 21

On 2/9/2021 at 9:48 AM, P21 said:

I wanted to share the outcome of DD’s applications this year as we are close to being done with the process. I haven’t been active in these boards and have been mostly lurking over the past several years, but wanted to contribute as the information I gathered here was crucial in helping us prepare for homeschooling high school. The yearly admissions thread was always my favorite and often provided encouragement when I was feeling doubtful.

This is the outcome of each one of DD’s applications. She has been homeschooled since 5th Grade.

GA Tech, accepted EA, Stamps Finalist

UNC Chapel Hill, accepted EA, Honors College and Chancellors Semi-Finalist

Emory University, accepted ED, their financial offer fell short of the net price calculator by a significant amount, so had to decline admissions offer. 

NC State Raleigh, accepted EA, Parks Scholarship semi-finalist. 

University of Pittsburgh, accepted, Rolling Admissions, 10k/ year merit scholarship.

The U. of Alabama Tuscaloosa, accepted, Rolling Admissions, Honors College and 28k/year automatic scholarship.

U. of Georgia - deferred during EA, withdrew application shortly after since it’s not a top choice.

U. of Florida - pending but will likely withdraw before decisions come out.

Isn't that so crazy that she would be super-selective STAMPS finalist at Tech and deferred at UGA? Shows you how bizarre this process can be!! Congrats to your girl and good luck on the final outcome of Stamps at Tech. It's an awesome program. My daughter went through the process and was awarded the scholarship a few years ago, though ultimately attended elsewhere.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, GoodGrief3 said:

Isn't that so crazy that she would be super-selective STAMPS finalist at Tech and deferred at UGA? Shows you how bizarre this process can be!! Congrats to your girl and good luck on the final outcome of Stamps at Tech. It's an awesome program. My daughter went through the process and was awarded the scholarship a few years ago, though ultimately attended elsewhere.

We were surprised to get the deferral from UGA. During the admissions tour and reaching out to the AO, we got the impression that they weren’t super welcoming of homeschoolers, but we thought it was an easy match for her as her stats placed her well above the 75th percentile. They made it clear (on Twitter and their blog) right before EA admissions were released this year, that they didn’t have time to get to all the applications or even read essays, and perhaps they needed a slower-paced review of DD’s atypical path.

GT on the other hand has been very proactive in letting her know they want her. I’ve always had the feeling they review more holistically, and don’t mind kids with lots of dual enrollment credits. 

Thank you for the good wishes! I’m glad your daughter had a positive experience with the STAMPS process. I was constantly worried about presenting DD correctly through the transcript, school profile, and counselor letter, and it worked out in the end, thanks in great part to reading about the process here and on the h2coll Yahoo group. 

• Like 7

On 2/13/2021 at 11:27 AM, readinmom said:

Dd got acceptances from Cal Poly and Channel Islands, both state schools this week, Theater Arts.  Very happy!  She is now rethinking the gap year...Cal Poly was a reach because of the major.  

Yay! Cal Poly (assuming SLO) is such a lovely place. My dad used to be their head of security after he retired from LAPD, many moons ago. When I was stationed in Monterey, I used to drive down to visit him regularly. I also had a good friend from high school who went there from ArchE, so she would invite me to some of the social events. She loved her experience there, but got totally burned out in their ArchE program because it was so hard. She ended up going to business school in France and lives in London now working in a completely different industry. Sorry for the random story! That all just rambled right on out of me! Anyway, yay for your DD and SLO! 🙂  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

Yay! Cal Poly (assuming SLO) is such a lovely place. My dad used to be their head of security after he retired from LAPD, many moons ago. When I was stationed in Monterey, I used to drive down to visit him regularly. I also had a good friend from high school who went there for ArchE, so she would invite me to some of the social events. She loved her experience there, but got totally burned out in their ArchE program because it was so hard. She ended up going to business school in France and lives in London now working in a completely different industry. Sorry for the random story! That all just rambled right on out of me! Anyway, yay for your DD and SLO! 🙂  

ETA: Oh, and the wine in Paso! Apparently, I am drunk and cannot even edit! I quoted myself instead. Ha!

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 1/4/2021 at 2:28 PM, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I came here just to search for this today!  My third son is applying to UAH, and my transcript template thing got kicked back because I just put the letter grades in.  The admissions counselor told me they wanted numeric percentage grades, which astounded me.  Community colleges don't even give those at the end, and neither do a lot of other outside courses?!  Truly bizarre.  And I didn't even weight the dual-enrollment and AP courses, so I guess if I do end up resubmitting the transcript (might just bail on it, since as others have pointed out, the merit aid is nowhere near as good this year), I guess I'll change that too.  Good grief!

When my second ds applied there 4 years ago, I just sent in my transcript, no problems, and it was one of the easiest applications!  And we only paid for his meal plan and books/fees, lol.  Ahhh, the good old days  . . .

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, AFwife Claire said:

I came here just to search for this today!  My third son is applying to UAH, and my transcript template thing got kicked back because I just put the letter grades in.  The admissions counselor told me they wanted numeric percentage grades, which astounded me.  Community colleges don't even give those at the end, and neither do a lot of other outside courses?!  Truly bizarre.  And I didn't even weight the dual-enrollment and AP courses, so I guess if I do end up resubmitting the transcript (might just bail on it, since as others have pointed out, the merit aid is nowhere near as good this year), I guess I'll change that too.  Good grief!

When my second ds applied there 4 years ago, I just sent in my transcript, no problems, and it was one of the easiest applications!  And we only paid for his meal plan and books/fees, lol.  Ahhh, the good old days  . . .

While the automatic merit aid is not as generous as it was a few years ago, it still brought cost of attendance down to a point lower than our local in-state colleges. My son was also admitted to the honors college, which I think has a stipend for a research project.

Merit aid is always a moving target at colleges. It is a tool they use for enrollment management in order to hit a target number of students attending and to move the profile of admitted students to one that shows better in rankings systems.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 5:19 PM, SeaConquest said:

Yay! Cal Poly (assuming SLO) is such a lovely place. My dad used to be their head of security after he retired from LAPD, many moons ago. When I was stationed in Monterey, I used to drive down to visit him regularly. I also had a good friend from high school who went there from ArchE, so she would invite me to some of the social events. She loved her experience there, but got totally burned out in their ArchE program because it was so hard. She ended up going to business school in France and lives in London now working in a completely different industry. Sorry for the random story! That all just rambled right on out of me! Anyway, yay for your DD and SLO! 🙂  

Oh, how I wish it was SLO.  Such a beautiful campus.  It was Cal Poly Pomona, our local school.  Apparently SLO decisions come out in March, but its so competitive we're not very hopeful.

We take a group of students on a college tour every spring and SLO is always their favorite.  The people are so happy, everyone is so helpful.  And the climbing wall in the middle of campus?  Wow!  As a bonus, we visited during exams and they had therapy dogs on campus to alleviate stress.  A big hit with the kids.  

• Like 2

On 2/20/2021 at 7:26 AM, Sebastian (a lady) said:

While the automatic merit aid is not as generous as it was a few years ago, it still brought cost of attendance down to a point lower than our local in-state colleges. My son was also admitted to the honors college, which I think has a stipend for a research project.

Merit aid is always a moving target at colleges. It is a tool they use for enrollment management in order to hit a target number of students attending and to move the profile of admitted students to one that shows better in rankings systems.

We're at a similar state. UAH actually improved the package after acceptance, FWIW, and, for students this year, are considering TN residents eligible for in-state tuition and merit scholarships, which increased the package a bit. L has one more interview/scholars weekend for a competitive scholarship, and if that doesn't come through, UAH is by far the best financial choice. Unfortunately, it's not the strongest for field bio (although they do have some good salamander and fish folks), so ultimately the decision is going to have to be a trade-off. And the only dorm in the final handful that we've been able to see in person (Mizzou did have a mock up available in a large open room, but it is hard to judge). 

• Like 5

This is such an awesome thread!  Great news to hear all that homeschoolers are doing.  We started our applications last May.

Our oldest DD applied to three and was accepted at each with scholarships:  Corban University, Bushnell University, and George Fox University.  Final decision awaiting financial aid.

Our youngest DD had her eyes set on only one: Liberty University, and that is where she will attend.

• Like 7

Dd#2 got a scholarship letter today from the college she wants to attend. I'm so proud of her! She got the highest scholarship they give out. 

She will likely turn it down because they added a requirement either this year or last year that recipients have to live on campus & this DD only wants to attend this college because she can live at home. [It is cheaper for us if she turns down the scholarship & lives at home vs. paying for the dorm because the scholarship just covers tuition.] 

The important thing is they picked her! Yay!

• Like 22

4 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Dd#2 got a scholarship letter today from the college she wants to attend. I'm so proud of her! She got the highest scholarship they give out. 

She will likely turn it down because they added a requirement either this year or last year that recipients have to live on campus & this DD only wants to attend this college because she can live at home. [It is cheaper for us if she turns down the scholarship & lives at home vs. paying for the dorm because the scholarship just covers tuition.] 

Big congratulations to your DD & you!

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Yes! Still great to be chosen even though she wants to live at home 🙂

• Like 2

My dd applied to only three colleges.  MIT is her long shot, especially since she has no test scores to report. Her number 2 choice is University of Washington. She’s still waiting to hear from those two. She received her acceptance to her number three school, Washington State, last week. 

• Like 14

DS got a nomination to West Point but, unfortunately, did not get an appointment. With all the uncertainty with Covid, he decided to live at home, go to the nearby state university where he was offered merit aid, and try again for a military academy appointment.

• Like 4
  • Sad 7

• 2 weeks later...

Dd got her acceptance to Dickinson college last night.  It came with a nice merit scholarship and decent aid.  This is the 4th acceptance for her.  I think I listed the others above.

ETA: It's actually her fifth.  I forgot one.  If I'm this bad with child number 2 imagine what I'll be like with number 4! The schools she is into are: Ursinus, Wheaton, Trinity Western U, Houghton and now Dickinson.

Edited by freesia
  • Like 16

And she is into Bucknell.  She won their top merit scholarship and a competitive creative writing one AND a literary one.  She is super pleased.  It is still out of reach financially.  It's where dh went, but not actually one of her top choices.  So it's okay.

• Like 13

I continue to enjoy reading about our WTM acceptances. I encourage you to ask for an increase in financial aide. We found that every university my dd contacted  gave her at least a small increase and some quite a bit. We are back at it for grad schools.

• Like 2