Menu

WWYD - update - the lady is back!!!!

SereneHome

Hmmm, I am going to try to describe this short and sweet.

We live in a sort of rural town, but we do live in a neighborhood where houses are fairly fancy and space out. We have a huge lawn in front of our house. I think most of people in our neighborhood have dogs. We don't really know anyone, even though we have lived here for awhile. People say "hi" during walks and such, but that's about it. 

We have a private trash pick up here - meaning, if you don't pay for it, you just have to take your own garbage to the dump, it's not provided by the town. So, once a week our garbage company comes and picks up our trash which we put by the curb at the end of our long driveway. We usually bring back our garbage cans sometime during the day or later or whatever but it's on our driveway.

So, today, a woman passed by with her dog. After her dog pooped, she picked it up, bagged it and put it in our completely empty garbage can. She is not new to the neighborhood but i have no idea who she is or which house she lives in.

Would you be pissed? Would you think it's  not a big deal in a grand scheme of life? Would you try to find out who she is and remind her that there are no public garbage cans around here?

Edited by SereneHome

1 minute ago, alisoncooks said:

Ah, it wouldn't be a big deal if it were getting picked up soon...public or private. I mean, the town picks mine up but I still pay for it in my water bill. But the empty can means poo sits in there for a week. Ewww. 

That's exactly how I feel. Like if she did it before it was picked up - OK, who cares. Still a bit rude, but whatever. But it was picked up this morning!!

• Like 1

I'll admit that my first reaction would be to feel a little perturbed...  But I'd talk myself down and just get over it.  Because really, who cares?  If you passed her house and did the same thing, I'm sure she wouldn't care at all.  You just happened to have a trash can there at the right time.  And, I'd rather have it in the trash can than on my grass.  And then, I'd also remind myself that over the years, I've probably done that myself.  Found a gum wrapper on the ground and picked it up and tossed it in an open trash can that I happened to pass, for example.  

As long as it's just little things like that, I'd conclude that we're just all in this together doing our part.  You can think of it as a neighborly gesture.  (Obviously on YOUR part!)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, J-rap said:

I'll admit that my first reaction would be to feel a little perturbed...  But I'd talk myself down and just get over it.  Because really, who cares?  If you passed her house and did the same thing, I'm sure she wouldn't care at all.  You just happened to have a trash can there at the right time.  And, I'd rather have it in the trash can than on my grass.  And then, I'd also remind myself that over the years, I've probably done that myself.  Found a gum wrapper on the ground and picked it up and tossed it in an open trash can that I happened to pass, for example.  

As long as it's just little things like that, I'd conclude that we're just all in this together doing our part.  You can think of it as a neighborly gesture.  (Obviously on YOUR part!)

It's different than a gum wrapper, though, because poo smells awful, even when it's in a bag. Very rude, imo.

• Like 3

We have trash included in our dues, so that part wouldn’t bother me.
Even the whole “there for a week” wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world, because we’re surrounded by (wild animal) poop and my kitty litter goes in there every day.
For me, the annoyance would be that I would need to take that little doggy bag OUT of my really tall garbage can, or it would stay there *forever.  We don’t have the fancy touch less garbage pick up. Our trash collectors pull bags out by hand. And I know from experience that they NEVER, EVER, EVER lean in for tiny bags on the bottom.  My tolerance is not nearly as high as anyone who picks up garbage all day, every day.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Hmmm, see, I would never open someone's trash can and put anything there. I have a huge thing for other people's property.

Also, we bag our trash, and I've seen the guys who pick it up - they take out the whole bags and throw it in their trucks, which means, that this tiny poop bag might or might not making it our of the can next week.

And I do wonder how this woman would react - people around here care very much about their property, based on how their houses and lawns look. May be bc our lawn looks the worst she thought we wouldn't mind a bit of her dog's poop, I don't know lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Even the whole “there for a week” wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world, because we’re surrounded by (wild animal) poop and my kitty litter goes in there every day.
For me, the annoyance would be that I would need to take that little doggy bag OUT of my really tall garbage can, or it would stay there *forever.  We don’t have the fancy touch less garbage pick up. Our trash collectors pull bags out by hand. And I know from experience that they NEVER, EVER, EVER lean in for tiny bags on the bottom.  My tolerance is not nearly as high as anyone who picks up garbage all day, every day.

Yes!!!! that's exactly it!!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Selkie said:

It's different than a gum wrapper, though, because poo smells awful, even when it's in a bag. Very rude, imo.

Oh I dunno, in a bag it doesn't really smell.  I do get feeling irritated by it (that's my first reaction), but at the end of the day, as long as it's in a bag I'd just let it go.

1 minute ago, SereneHome said:

Hmmm, see, I would never open someone's trash can and put anything there. I have a huge thing for other people's property.

Also, we bag our trash, and I've seen the guys who pick it up - they take out the whole bags and throw it in their trucks, which means, that this tiny poop bag might or might not making it our of the can next week.

And I do wonder how this woman would react - people around here care very much about their property, based on how their houses and lawns look. May be bc our lawn looks the worst she thought we wouldn't mind a bit of her dog's poop, I don't know lol

Ours get dumped by machine so I hadn't considered that it wouldn't get dumped.  Given this info, I'd put a note if it happens again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

Well, that might make a difference for me... true.  I guess I didn't even realize that some places don't have trucks that lift the cans and empty them upside-down.  Even our small rural town had trucks that did that.  

7 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I didn't realize that that type of trash collecting even existed anymore!  I just figured all the garbage trucks these days had the ability to lift the cans and tip them over upside-down.  Learned something new today!

• Like 1

Most of my neighbors rent big containers that their trucks can hook and tip. We have no where as much trash as everyone else. We have a small can that the driver has to get out and lift each bag by hand. I feel bad for the driver but I don’t want to pay rent on monster size for 1-2 light bags a week. I would be really unhappy with dog bag tossed to the bottom. 

6 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Oh I dunno, in a bag it doesn't really smell.  I do get feeling irritated by it (that's my first reaction), but at the end of the day, as long as it's in a bag I'd just let it go.

Trust me, it does smell in a bag. I've taken enough poo samples to the vet to know that even when it is double-bagged, it stinks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Selkie said:

Trust me, it does smell in a bag. I've taken enough poo samples to the vet to know that even when it is double-bagged, it stinks.

I guess I just figure almost anything in a garbage stinks.  But I trust you, and if it's close to the house or an area where children are playing, then it would probably bother me too.

Just now, happysmileylady said:

Wait....you have people who take bags OUT of the cans to throw them in the truck?   That seems like an unsafe practice.  I have been in places with trash machine trucks and places where trash people dump them themselves.......but I have never been someplace where trash people actually take the bags out of the cans themselves and put bags in the truck.  Even in the non machine places, they pick up the whole cans/bins and dump them, rather than lifting out bags.  Lifting out bags seems to be a rather unsafe practice regarding dealing with actual trash.  

This is our second residence near Dayton Oh using Rumpke and Waste Management where we have elected to not pay the addition cost of renting a container. We only need a small container that cost $40. We have used the same one for over 20 years. Much better than paying I think $2-4? a month! 

4 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Wait....you have people who take bags OUT of the cans to throw them in the truck?   That seems like an unsafe practice.  I have been in places with trash machine trucks and places where trash people dump them themselves.......but I have never been someplace where trash people actually take the bags out of the cans themselves and put bags in the truck.  Even in the non machine places, they pick up the whole cans/bins and dump them, rather than lifting out bags.  Lifting out bags seems to be a rather unsafe practice regarding dealing with actual trash.  

Yep, this is a local company. Two friends started it around the same time we bought this house. When they started they used  regular pick up trucks. They have grown over the years and have more "professional" looking garbage trucks but it's not automatic. Actually, they did have automatic one for awhile a few years ago, but one of the owners told me they would break all the time. Anyway, they seem to be doing well, and I am happy I don't have to go to the dump or nag my husband to do it 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I totally agree with you.  I will say, though, that a little bag of poop that has been squished under bigger heavier bags for several days, might well end up stuck in the crevice of a can that was lifted and dumped.  

This would annoy me a little.  It would probably not annoy me enough to do anything about it, but I'm kind of lazy.  If I did something about it, it would be to hang a laminated sign on the can that says "please don't put poop in here".  Maybe with a cute picture of a dog pooping to draw attention or something.  

I don't see what the fact that your trash is private has to do with it.  I have city trash pick up, and it would be annoying here too. 

I only mentioned that bc not everyone here have garbage pick up, unlike where it was when i lived in MD. So, I didn't want people to think that it was "community" type of thing.

What would I do? Nothing. What's done is done and it is not worth getting my panties in a wad over a pile of dog sh*t. At least she tried to be courteous and cleaned up after her dog. That's more than a lot of people do. She probably has no idea that anyone would be upset by it or, hopefully, she wouldn't have done it.

I've lived lots of places, including overseas. The trash is taken out of the cans by hand a lot more places that I've lived than places that had touchless trash pick up. I think the best place  for trash pickup was overseas. We didn't have to tote it to the curb. They came up to the house and took anything that was in the screened trash area for our unit but would knock on the door if they thought something was put there by mistake. It was awesome not having to make a mad dash for the curb when we saw the garbage truck coming. I do remember that we had to write, in Katakana, the words "sharp" or "dangerous" on any bags that contained broken glass or sharp items of any kind.

• Like 3

Considering that we store our cans in the garage, and we have no pets, I would be very unhappy!

We had a thread about this a few years ago LOL. People were mixed on responses then too.

I would put a sign on it too. Maybe even one that says "NO DOG POO!!  Just to make sure it gets the point across. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Well, I am not really asking about "automatic"

I am asking if they are actually lifting bags out of cans, vs, picking up the whole cans and dumping them.  The home we lived in for 12 yrs was serviced by a company that didn't have automatic trucks (it was not rumpke or waste management, but it wasn't a small local company either....I just can't remember the name.

Anyway, they didn't have automatic garbage trucks.  They had "old school" trucks where one guy drove and 2 guys hung off the back end, then got off and picked up cans and dumped them in the back end.  But NO ONE pulled bags out of cans to dump.....only cans were picked up.  The exceptions were specifically designated lawn/leaf bags OR a specialty scheduled large pick up.  There was an automatic truck for that.  Otherwise....yeah, they were just people, dumping cans.......but they only dumped cans.  

Our trash is taken out by hand. They don't provide trash containers so our "trash can" is an IBC container (looks most like the middle top one in the picture) that the top has been cut back to make a lid. No way two guys could lift that heavy thing. They take the bags out and toss them in the truck. They wear thick leather gloves. They won't take anything that isn't bagged. Large items have to be taken to their facility and it costs 5 cents per pound to dispose of it there.

I probably wouldn't even have noticed. We store our garbage cans outside, so wouldn't be bothered by the smell. 

You could avoid this by bringing you garbage cans back to your house right after garbage collection. Then there is no temptation for others to use the cans. 

I'd probably let it pass the first time. If it became a habit, I like the idea of a cute sign. You could always offer an explanation: Poop bags get smooshed in here, please take them with you! 

1 hour ago, SereneHome said:

May be bc our lawn looks the worst she thought we wouldn't mind a bit of her dog's poop, I don't know lol

"Don't throw that poop away here, let's wait til we get to Serene's house!" 😂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I probably wouldn't even have noticed. We store our garbage cans outside, so wouldn't be bothered by the smell. 

You could avoid this by bringing you garbage cans back to your house right after garbage collection. Then there is no temptation for others to use the cans. 

We store our garbage cans outside, too, but we also frequently store ourselves outside (sitting on the patio, etc) and stinky garbage cans definitely ruin the ambiance. 

At least one other poster has suggested taking the cans back to the house right after collection, but that's not always possible. Pre-quarantine, I'm sure a lot of people had their trash collected while they were at work. Or you might be at the grocery, or taking a walk of your own, or simply not noticing that the trash truck came (ours does not come at the same time each week). I mean, sure, it's a good idea to pick them up as soon as you can, but there are bound to be lots of times that people's trash cans are by the street. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

Unsafe how?

Add me to the people whose trash service has to take the bags out by hand.  Up until we moved to this house in town 6 months ago.  

Edited by Scarlett

We have a lot of dog walkers in our neighborhood, and even on the evenings when the garbage cans are out for the next day's pickup, everyone is carrying their bag o'poop home with them waling right past numerous garbage cans. I wouldn't dream of throwing trash in anyone's can, and would not want anyone else's stuff thrown in mine.  But I probably wouldn't do anything about it either.

And yeah, I don't know too many people who can stand watch for the trash truck and run out to get their cans back in right away. Even if at home, people have stuff to do. I wish I had the luxury to watch out the window for the trash truck! 🙂

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

I wish I could be the bigger person and say this doesn't bother me, but yeah, it does. And for me it's not dog poo, it's someone's Starbuck's cup. All the trash that comes out of our house is in a bag, so nothing can spill and stink up the can itself. When someone decides to plop their coffee cup into my garbage can, guess who is going to have to rinse out the can when stuff spills? We also get bags of someone's lunch containers dumped in our can--fairly big bags. I think it's the neighbor's gardener. We have a family of 5 people and still use the small garbage can our company provides. Many neighbors pay more to get the bigger can. Just saying that there is a physical limit on how much trash we put out each week, and I don't want other people's lunch containers using up some of the space. But since we've all been home for almost 2 months, we can get the can back in the garage pretty quickly, and that helps.

• Like 2

As far as touching actual bags, some services here don’t offer cans so people don’t use them which means bags are just left at the curbs. So, actual trash bags are handled here by various companies often. We use the one can provided for our service but sometimes we’ve had extra and those bags are just left sitting next to the can so obviously handled as well. 

OP, it’s happened to us and it’s annoying because that means it often gets left behind in the can. It’s bothersome but we ignore it.

20 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Needles.  Broken glass.  Rusty nails. Sharp ends on opened cans.  Plastic bits sharp enough to rip open even the most sturdy bags full of week old turkey carcass.

The OP posted a "can" that I have never seen used for regular trash pick up, but I can see how, with such a can, lifting out of the "can" makes sense.

But, I think that, even if people are trying to be as responsible as possible, having trash people actually handling the trash *bags* rather than just dumping the cans themselves is really a very unsafe practice.  People throw about eleventy billion things away that are sharp and can rip bags....AND heavy duty work gloves.  Even without auto trucks, I think trash companies should have have trash people lifting bags out of the trash cans/bins/totes/whatever.  

A home owner taking a single bag to the bin, knowing what's in there....that's one thing.  Once that bin has received two or three bags in the week, all sitting on top of one another, baking in the sun, and, depending on location, subject to all manner of things that even the homeowner didn't put there....yeah, I believe that trash people handling BAGS and not strictly BINS is going to be an unsafe practice.  

I think they are pretty well skilled in be able to list a bag of trash out of can into the trash truck. Lifting full and and dumping into the truck would kill their backs.  Most people have the huge trash cans these days.  

Way back in the dawn of time, I had to point out to my husband that putting a bag full of dog poop in someone's empty trash can was, at best, rude.  His reasoning was that "it's a trash can."  My reasoning was "it's a trash can that is going to be sitting in someone's side yard for another week."  

So--I would be annoyed, but I would also realize that she may not have thought all the way through the consequences of her actions.

• Like 2

This is common in our neighborhood and yes, I consider it rude!   It does stink when it sits.  And we each pay for pick up.   I’d be less annoyed if it were handled by the city.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 1

Not a dog owner here.  If the trash has not been picked up yet, then it wouldn't bother me.  It's sitting right on top, will get picked up soon, and I would rather have that than sitting in my yard. 

However, an empty can.  Yeah I would be mad.  One it is on the bottom so may break open and now my trash can has dog poop on the inside.  Two, it will be sitting and brewing for the whole week.  Despite it being a convenience thing for the dog owner to not have to carry her dog's poop, it is very inconsiderate and rude to place your dog's poop in someone else's property.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SKL said:

I mean how big is a dog turd?  I would not care about it unless they were bringing all their dog's crap and filling up my garbage can.

I think the biggest problem is it was an empty trash can, so it will sit for a week AND the bags are pulled out by hand so a tiny bag in the bottom will never get removed by the trash men. 

35 minutes ago, wintermom said:

You may not be the first person annoyed by this situation. 🤪 I found this on Amazon. People will do weird things. I can't imagine picking up the lid off someone else's garbage can and depositing my dog's poop there. 

https://www.amazon.com/Please-Poop-Bags-Trash-Sticker/dp/B00IMM4X8I

O  M  G -that's too funny

I fully admit that I probably have fairly lower threshold for what I consider rude behavior in people, but this makes me feel a little bit better 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slache said:

Why do they take it out by hand instead of dumping it by hand? Like manually turning it upside down?

Yes that would annoy me. I wouldn't do anything but I would prepare to say something the next time.

Because a full trash can is heavy.  Even the smaller ones.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Our trash guy does it by hand by pulling bags out of the can and throwing them I to the truck. It's a local guy who started his own business and he takes my trash every week for half the price of the big name company. And he has a small truck that is allowed to drive on our gravel road during the spring thaw when the big name company's big heavy trucks aren't allowed so now my trash isn't piling up for weeks at a time. Win for him, win for me!

He does require it to be bagged and tied, but that's it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J-rap said:

I didn't realize that that type of trash collecting even existed anymore!  I just figured all the garbage trucks these days had the ability to lift the cans and tip them over upside-down.  Learned something new today!

Funny enough, it’s about the only local company that still collects by hand. None of the others will even bid for a contract. Many people in our neighborhood still use bear boxes to house their cans.  We also don’t have sidewalks or consistently flat “curbs”, so cans can be wobbly or even knocked down on windy days.  Or knocked over by animals for those of us without bear boxes, lol.

19 minutes ago, Slache said:

I don't care. That's what my guys did, 2 men, one can. There were handles on the sides. This way is inconvenient. And yucky.

My trash guy is just a guy. Not a team, just a guy driving a truck and picking up bags and throwing them in the back.

• Thanks 1